Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CommonShore posted:

If McDonalds want "Millenial" dollars, they shouldplay the camp angle and become a mild caricature of the McDonalds that the oldest "millenials" might foggily remember from the late 80s and early 90s.

I was born in 1996 and it still gobsmacked me when the local McDonalds gutted itself and turned into a wannabe Starbucks. It feels like the food version of the Beverly Hillbillies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Based on Q3 and Q4 results, I'd say the approach to becoming more premium and working to improve food quality has been successful in a way that years of race to the bottom or nostalgia appeal have not been. Not to say McDonald's is now perfect and forever growing, but their new approach of prioritizing better products and putting that at the forefront of the brand message has shown sales and revenue increases while prior approaches have nearly 2 years straight or more of declines.

In other dumb moves in marketing: lets run an attack ad about "not standing up for veterans" about a veteran who lost their legs during their tour of duty

Barudak has a new favorite as of 05:55 on Mar 9, 2016

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Now I kinda wonder if using Ronald to advertise to Adult audiences, albeit in an ironic fashion, would actually work in this climate?

As for the table service, I've never tried it. At least here in Canada, they have introduced a 'build a sandwich' option with their new touchscreens. And I have been tempted despite the kinda hefty price. But the one person I heard that used it had the manger come out and wait on them, which was awkward as gently caress for them. So thus, I have never tried it because I don't go to mcdonalds to feel guilty about leaving a tip. I go to buy some cheap, lovely food and then disappear into the night. At least up here we still have the 'extra value menu' because ours were never a dollar. The unfortunate fact is that gives them free reign to up the prices whenever.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Now I kinda wonder if using Ronald to advertise to Adult audiences, albeit in an ironic fashion, would actually work in this climate?

Worked for Coca-Cola's OK soda.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/the-strange-story-of-ok-soda#.kaDxgN1VL

The world's most ironically nihilistic soft drink.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

In Australia there are staff specifically for waiting on custom-burger customers (though they pull double duty in assisting with the self-order kiosks because not enough people go for the custom burger), but then [derail fuel omitted] so there's nothing to feel awkward about.

Except being told how to use a really simple kiosk but I've seen others struggle with them so I can't hold that against the staff.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

CommonShore posted:

I think we went through this in one of these marketing/iosm threads about eight months ago when there was the :supaburn:McDonalds is Going Out of Business:supaburn: scare. My position now, as then, is that McDonalds needs to go the opposite direction and play the shadow marketing angle - reduce their menu to "staples," play "tradition" instead of "cool," get some of the funny linolum colours back. Nobody goes to McDonalds because they want healthy or upscale. People go there because they want familiar and convenient and cheap. Play to your strengths - massively successful marketing campaigns have been built around less, and those strengths would play very well with Coke's own core branding. If McDonalds want "Millenial" dollars, they shouldplay the camp angle and become a mild caricature of the McDonalds that the oldest "millenials" might foggily remember from the late 80s and early 90s.

Now that you mention it, why aren't they doing this? Us 80s babies are right at that age where we are getting nostalgic about things and have kids that we want to shovel cheap, palatable food into.

The other day I was actually fondly remembering going there as a little kid and what a special treat it was. (And the one crazy lady that was always there, ordering an orange juice and dumping half the salt shaker in it and drinking it.)

Starbucks already does the bougie thing well enough, why bother with that? Might as well be tacky and weird like they used to be. Or maybe it's working just fine. Does anyone know if the whole McCafe thing has been worthwhile yet?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
If they seriously went for the retro look, I'd never step foot in a McDonald's again. Even as a kid I thought that everything looked so dirty, even if it was clean.

At the least, the life-size Ronald McDonald statue would inspire some teens to take silly photos.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Barudak posted:

Based on Q3 and Q4 results, I'd say the approach to becoming more premium and working to improve food quality has been successful in a way that years of race to the bottom or nostalgia appeal have not been. Not to say McDonald's is now perfect and forever growing, but their new approach of prioritizing better products and putting that at the forefront of the brand message has shown sales and revenue increases while prior approaches have nearly 2 years straight or more of declines. [/url]

I have no idea of the facts in this, but my first instinct is to assume that the rise in profits after increasing the prices to "premium" standards in the case of McD would have more to do with the complacency of the brand loyalists still around spending more for the same crap increasing margins than any sort of psychological effect...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'll admit I've been having a hankering for those old McDonald's cookies I used to get as a child. But yeah, both of my siblings are Millennials and they used to have their birthday parties at McDonalds. So there's probably a lot of nostalgia to mine there.

I don't get why McDonalds doesn't just diversify. They tried it with Boston Market and Chipotle, but then jumped out and scurried back to their familiar Golden Arches. Are they afraid of cannibalizing sales from their existing stores? It would seem to me that an upscale option (Rónald's) would offer good cross promotion with the McDonalds IP. Like fancy Happy Meals.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'll admit I've been having a hankering for those old McDonald's cookies I used to get as a child. But yeah, both of my siblings are Millennials and they used to have their birthday parties at McDonalds. So there's probably a lot of nostalgia to mine there.

I don't get why McDonalds doesn't just diversify. They tried it with Boston Market and Chipotle, but then jumped out and scurried back to their familiar Golden Arches. Are they afraid of cannibalizing sales from their existing stores? It would seem to me that an upscale option (Rónald's) would offer good cross promotion with the McDonalds IP. Like fancy Happy Meals.

They have this in non-US markets for some testing. Hong Kong for instance is getting a completely new style store with offerings and menu. As I mentioned due to company structure the U.S. will almost always be last to implement any changes and will do the minimum to meet those changes.

Also to someone curious if higher prices equal more revenue the number of people entering McDonalds also increased in the time period so at least some of the growth is new customers rather than just raising prices.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Ah, fair enough then.

But yeah, I imagine McD's and the rest will almost definitely follow in the footsteps of Taco Bell and make upscale "hip" versions of their chain if the "Taco Bell Cantina" test stores do well enough...that is, the ones that change their format from a fast food restaurant to a stylish tapas bar style.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Even if McDonald's started to struggle, it would be a slow death. Within 3 miles of my home I have seen Burger King, KFC, Pizza Hut, Carl's Jr, Dairy Queen, Arby's, and Jack in the Box all have to close at least one store, while every McDonald's (of which there are at least 5) have all stayed strong for years. And this is in suburban Southern California with plenty of food options both cheap and higher-end.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

WickedHate posted:

I was born in 1996 and it still gobsmacked me when the local McDonalds gutted itself and turned into a wannabe Starbucks. It feels like the food version of the Beverly Hillbillies.

I'm nine years older than you and too young to understand your reference.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm nine years older than you and too young to understand your reference.

Syndicated TV is a hell of a thing.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Isn't this what they were trying, at least in a really misguided way, to do with the Hamburglar ad campaign they started a little bit ago? It was really poorly received, but I'm not sure if that's because the idea itself was awful or entirely on the execution (who thought making the Hamburglar a skeezy dad was the way to go?).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It does seem weird that they don't combine IP with modern pop culture. I remember McDonald's commercials almost having storylines, where Grimance needs a shake or something and then the Hamburglar messes stuff up. They could do all kinds of tongue in cheek tie in's like a Bachelor type reality show where Ronald is choosing between various side orders. This poo poo writes itself.

Instead we get allusions to loving a Big Mac or vague and unoffensive 'I'm loving it' slogans.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Mar 9, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Some goon probably works for McDonalds and they'll do all of this and become some VP and McDonalds will make millions of dollars off of our ideas and we'll still just be here shitposting.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Essentially, by trying to market to everyone they end up marketing to no one.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

CommonShore posted:

Some goon probably works for McDonalds and they'll do all of this and become some VP and McDonalds will make millions of dollars off of our ideas and we'll still just be here shitposting.

And yet, despite his wealth and success deep down he will envy us.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Doctor Malaver posted:

And yet, despite his wealth and success deep down he will envy us.

they say if you build your fortune off of McDonalds, your face becomes gradually, permanently, and unstoppably stained with clown paint. Full story by R.L. Stine

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
I finally saw PUPPY MONKEY BABY today for the first time--I guess it has finally made its way up to Canada! It was just as gloriously wtf and stupid as I could have hoped :allears:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

SomeJazzyRat posted:

They did this a bit when they were selling the failed Arch Deluxe in the 90s, their attempt at an "adult" burger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhJNE6CMkkY

I also remember a commercial where some golfers are talking and Ronald walks by.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
McDonalds should just go back to using lard. No one who's health conscious ever gave a gently caress about them anyways, might as well give me the good fries back before they finally have to be cannibalized and reformatted by some outside corporate conglomerate.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Corn oil or whatever they use is probably cheaper than lard

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I thought they used tallow.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I thought they'd switched when people complained that lard wasn't vegetarian.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They still add beef flavoring to the oil when they cook the fries. The fries are vegetarian only in India.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I thought they used tallow.

Yeah, they used beef tallow originally, but stopped when people complained about the high levels of saturated fats.

Irony of ironies, they replaced it with trans fat-loaded shortening :downs:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

They still add beef flavoring to the oil when they cook the fries. The fries are vegetarian only in India.

They're also vegetarian in the UK, at least.

quote:

The Fries we serve on our UK menu are suitable for vegetarians. The ingredient declaration for our UK Fries is: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Sunflower, Rapeseed), Dextrose.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I know killing your customers isn't the best long term plan but "gently caress you there's meat and meat fat in everything we serve" sounds great.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Cakefool posted:

I know killing your customers isn't the best long term plan but "gently caress you there's meat and meat fat in everything we serve" sounds great.

That's the heart attack grill

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Mcdonalds will never go upscale because every single one of their locations is a greasy cesspit where only the poorest of the poor go to eat.

Maybe in the US but Australia gets a ton of this stuff tested out here.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I read that as "100% Anguished".

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Croccers posted:

The menu is covered with this stuff in Canada. I'm admittedly not a big Mcdonalds eater, but I have literally never seen someone order any of this. Every time I go in people want a) mcdoubles, b) nuggets, c) fries, d) ice cream cones. Even poo poo like Big macs only get ordered when someone has a coupon.

Realistically, if McDonalds stopped trying to push this fake high end poo poo that nobody wants, they could reduce overall wastage and decrease the food cost on the stuff people want to buy. That would let them either a) increase quality, b) drop prices, c) increase profits, or d) some combination of the former.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Croccers posted:

Ah, so it's an expensive greasy cesspit located on a prison colony. A vast improvement!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

CommonShore posted:

The menu is covered with this stuff in Canada. I'm admittedly not a big Mcdonalds eater, but I have literally never seen someone order any of this. Every time I go in people want a) mcdoubles, b) nuggets, c) fries, d) ice cream cones. Even poo poo like Big macs only get ordered when someone has a coupon.

Realistically, if McDonalds stopped trying to push this fake high end poo poo that nobody wants, they could reduce overall wastage and decrease the food cost on the stuff people want to buy. That would let them either a) increase quality, b) drop prices, c) increase profits, or d) some combination of the former.

I know a ton of people that prefer McCafe to Timmies.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
I think McDonald's would be better off buying some well liked name like Five Guys or something like that, keep their hands off, and skim from it. Let McDonald's stores themselves be the sort of restaurant of last resort that they are, and put your money in other things.

Lady Naga posted:

I know a ton of people that prefer McCafe to Timmies.

Apparently this coffee expert says that McDonald's coffee isn't the worst of the cheap coffees, though Dunkin' Donuts and Folgers seem to be the real winners:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu-S_USMQ0U

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Mcdonalds coffee is horrible muck that's usually left to burn for hours because the employees are all idiot children or middle-aged losers who aren't paid well enough to give a gently caress about anything anymore.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
You sure showed them.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Croccers posted:

A McDs by my work started doing this stuff, and it's been much better for it. Quality of food and service went up, and it's been an all-around good experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

foobardog posted:

I think McDonald's would be better off buying some well liked name like Five Guys or something like that, keep their hands off, and skim from it. Let McDonald's stores themselves be the sort of restaurant of last resort that they are, and put your money in other things.

Isn't that what they tried to do with Chipotle's a few years ago?