Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I actually like making long posts cause it's like writing essays only about anime and I miss slapping together 1.5k words frantically a day before the deadline.

This is like that only harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I just can't believe I actually found myself reading someone's long posts instead of dismissing them as too much effort for forums reading

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's a wonder this forum hasn't developed the magical skill to glaze over my posts.

Possibly because my avatar got changed and they need to readjust.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
i readjusted quickly. i forget what your avatar was before boat girl though. i do remember skipping like 3 pages of this thread though cuz anime instead of rhythm game

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Skwee posted:

i readjusted quickly. i forget what your avatar was before boat girl though. i do remember skipping like 3 pages of this thread though cuz anime instead of rhythm game

You should get revenge by watching Cinderella Girls and spoiling the story for me.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

You should get revenge by watching Cinderella Girls and spoiling the story for me.

do not worry, if i were to spoil anything it would be within some handy spoiler tags

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
i am a great active spoiler avoider, it's how i have enjoyed anime even though I only started watching anime at all at the end of 2014 (Not that long ago in my life span, I was 24)
I only wish the same on other's, so i always spoiler tag things even if it is some mild spoilers like a simple joke.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Like so:

Some girls wear glass shoes, spend 26 episodes wondering if that was really a smart choice.

Also, people look at clocks, but very rarely. The viewer is left wondering how anyone is ever on time to meetings.

I kinda like big walls of text. Like, if you look at say, the CG thread, it's pretty dead. There kinda isn't terribly much to say about any particular episode as it airs. That sort of thing boils down to "this is boring, I hope we hit the next arc soon" and "oh, that was a nice song." Maybe a stray "oh, that's a cute dress," or whatever.

When its done you can vomit out a poorly-considered series of paragraphs and hope nobody reads it too carefully, since there's probably a few things worth thinking about, even for an idol show.

Also, Natsuki's commu was pretty neat, but that's just because I think Rina (T) is really entertaining. Even when she's sulking about something silly.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
i apprehensively read the first spoiler but i'm gonna avoid the 2nd one and not quote just in case...

also i basically don't even know of the existence of other ADTRW thread beyond this and the chat thread. I just added both of them to my SA bookmarks and have my SA control panel bookmarked on my browser, so when i click it I only see threads that I have bookmarked.

i just click the control panel bookmark whenever i want to see stuff.

I wouldn't have even known about this thread if I hadn't been posting about rhythm games in the anime chat thread and one of you mentioned it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This and the chat threads are the only ADTRW threads I have bookmarked as well.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

The season thread is handy if you're like me and can't be bothered to look for a chart of what's airing. And then a bit later, when you haven't actually gotten around to seeing what's airing, you can see what shows people pointed out as being poorly animated, ugly trainwrecks or whatever.

Also sometimes I'll bookmark a show's thread and scan it for gifs or whatever. Oh, and the shoujo manga thread, because building a huge backlog of stuff I won't get around to reading for months is a productive use of my time.

The trick is to not actually read threads in adtrw. just like in lets play.

For the record both of those spoilers are jokes. Hell, I'm not entirely sure if the first one's even remotely true anymore, because it's been a while.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
you don't master the spoiler tags if you can't even resist clicking on joke spoilers

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Click every spoiler imo

Then again, they're probably not for something I care terribly much about being spoiled on. Or I'll promptly put it out of mind. Unless it's a really good joke, but I think people stopped making joke spoilers a while back?

Shame, really.

e. Oh my god the sliders at the end of Rockin' Emotion on master what the gently caress.

I mean, they're cool, but what the gently caress? They're fishhooks.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 10, 2016

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
man, like i said i only started watching anime at the end of 2014. I was 24 when i started watching anime. It feels like it's paid off greatly to have paid so little attention to anime all the time even though i've been on forums/the internet all this time. even spoilers for other stuff I am pretty proud of either not remembering, or avoiding. Like I think I read a Heavy Rain spoiler back when that came out, but I could play it now and be none-the-wiser.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Zenostein posted:

Unless it's a really good joke, but I think people stopped making joke spoilers a while back?

In Let's Play specifically non-spoilers under spoiler tags were explicitly banned a while back after a lot of people got frustrated with being unable to tell whether you "should" click any given spoiler. On checking it turns out TV IV has the same rule, for presumably more-or-less the same reason.

That said, people now put their joke spoilers in [sub][sub][sub] text instead which is a lot more annoying to make readable.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Polsy posted:

In Let's Play specifically non-spoilers under spoiler tags were explicitly banned a while back after a lot of people got frustrated with being unable to tell whether you "should" click any given spoiler. On checking it turns out TV IV has the same rule, for presumably more-or-less the same reason.

That said, people now put their joke spoilers in [sub][sub][sub] text instead which is a lot more annoying to make readable.

Ah, that must be where I got it from, then.

The thing about the sub subs is that they're so handy for a little joke, but having to either copy/paste or quote a post to read them is pretty terrible, isn't it?

I donno, I click every spoiler because not knowing would drive me insane, mostly.

Skwee posted:

man, like i said i only started watching anime at the end of 2014. I was 24 when i started watching anime. It feels like it's paid off greatly to have paid so little attention to anime all the time even though i've been on forums/the internet all this time. even spoilers for other stuff I am pretty proud of either not remembering, or avoiding. Like I think I read a Heavy Rain spoiler back when that came out, but I could play it now and be none-the-wiser.

I guess it's also kinda different for game spoilers, since chances are it'll take you ages to get to whatever was spoiled, versus a show or something, where if you're following along but aren't current, it'll be floating around in your head.

Also hey look a SS minor update. 1.6.1, from 9 March, on iOS.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zenostein posted:

Like so:

Some girls wear glass shoes, spend 26 episodes wondering if that was really a smart choice.

Also, people look at clocks, but very rarely. The viewer is left wondering how anyone is ever on time to meetings.

I kinda like big walls of text. Like, if you look at say, the CG thread, it's pretty dead. There kinda isn't terribly much to say about any particular episode as it airs. That sort of thing boils down to "this is boring, I hope we hit the next arc soon" and "oh, that was a nice song." Maybe a stray "oh, that's a cute dress," or whatever.

When its done you can vomit out a poorly-considered series of paragraphs and hope nobody reads it too carefully, since there's probably a few things worth thinking about, even for an idol show.

Also, Natsuki's commu was pretty neat, but that's just because I think Rina (T) is really entertaining. Even when she's sulking about something silly.

you obviously didn't see my liveposting on the episodes in the chat thread

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Zenostein posted:

Also hey look a SS minor update. 1.6.1, from 9 March, on iOS.

This and the chat threads are the only ADTRW threads I have bookmarked as well.

I have several pages of bookmarks most of which are long-dead let's plays. It's been growing ever since they stopped removing archived threads from the live forums.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Futaba Anzu posted:

you obviously didn't see my liveposting on the episodes in the chat thread

Well, no. Then I'd be in the chat thread, presumably hearing about how x is going to save anime this week or whatever, interspersed with webms of god knows what.

Polsy posted:

I have several pages of bookmarks most of which are long-dead let's plays. It's been growing ever since they stopped removing archived threads from the live forums.

Ah, so that was actually noteworthy? I saw the word room in it and said "eh, more furniture?" and moved on.

Also yeah, I have like five pages of bookmarks, most of which are dead threads from years ago. I should probably clean that poo poo up at some point.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Late to music chat but:

Going off what I've heard from the phone games, I'm tempted to say that CG music comes off as a lot more gimmicky. Perhaps that's a bit disparaging? My point is that a a good number of them don't feel like music to me. It throws me off at times. There's one song that I've encountered during the Groove that barely appears to have a tune, and the singer is singing so softly that it feels more like reciting poetry than singing.
I agree that CG music is very gimmicky but that's really a result of how the entire CG music project start off as. CG was originally a collectible card game and then they decided to give these girls voice actors and a single to go along with them. Since each character only gets one song they tried to cram as much personality and uniqueness into the song which is fine since it is a character song after all.

My opinion on this style is that it's very hit or miss. The songs have a lot of personality but as you mentioned sometimes this comes at the expense of the quality of the song itself. In fact, I find a lot of these character songs pretty "meh" but there are gems in there like Nana's Marchen Debut or Miria's Romanic Now.

More recently and with the anime, the CG project has grown to add more group songs which are a lot more enjoyable overall since they're a lot less gimmicky. Though to be honest I've kind of lost interest in following the CG music scene.

quote:

Which brings me to my second and last (for now) point - I personally feel like the iM@S (both OG and CG) are about the characters themselves. Which isn't to say that LL doesn't (I'm pretty sure Niko and Rin both have songs that play with their names), but for the most part LL keep the characters and their songs separate. It's also always the same 9 girls - LL has a smaller cast than iM@S, which I believe plays a factor. We had this talk while I was going through iM@S, but a lot of the girls really don't get much focus. Some of the girls are just forgotten after their solo episodes. They lack presence. So, to ensure that people remember these characters, who don't get much focus, their songs are packed with the characters' personalities. Too much personality, sometimes, in my opinion. This is made even more chaotic because iM@S deals with girls of all ages and personalities. So there are a lot of character songs, meaning it's a toss up between whether you'll end up enjoying any one song or not.
The thing with the original Im@s is that when it started off it was true that a lot of songs were created with a specific girl in mind. However, over the years this has become less and less the case. In fact, I would say the thing I most like about the im@s series is that most songs have multiple versions where the only difference is that it's sung by a different girl or group of girls (The World is All One has 18 different versions alone). This isn't the case in LL from what I know

Even songs that are arguably "character specific" in the anime such as Brand New Day or Little Match Girl actually fit a lot of the other characters. In games, part of the fun is finding which songs complement's an idol's voice and which idols work well with each other when singing the song together. Obliviously some songs don't work with some characters (ie: most upbeat songs and Chihaya) but that's fine since songs that try to work with everyone have their own problems. Also, I find playing to a character's strengths a good thing and the upbeat girls with the upbeat voices should be singing upbeat songs.

Overall, I like the original im@s music a lot more than CG music but to be fair, I'm a lot more invested in the characters and voices of the original cast as well. That's not to say that CG doesn't have a couple of really good gems and this is the same for me and Love Live as well. I consider Susume Tomorrow one my favorite idol songs and I also enjoy a couple other songs such as both openings and Dancing Stars on me. However, for some reason the other songs I heard in the anime didn't really grab me and I've haven't really experienced much of the music outside of the anime but of the ones I've heard, I wasn't really impressed with them either.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 10, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Love Live doesn't have subunits singing the songs of other subunits but they do have like... 12 to 14 solos of group songs per girl?

It differs depending on the girl, but they generally have solo versions of their subunit songs and the regular group songs. The 2nd years have the most, I think, cause Susume Tomorrow is limited to the 2nd years.

I'm a very big fan of Umi solos, especially ANONE GANBARE.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Zettace posted:

In fact, I would say the thing I most like about the im@s series is that most songs have multiple versions where the only difference is that it's sung by a different girl or group of girls (The World is All One has 18 different versions alone). This isn't the case in LL from what I know.

Of course at a minimum any song that appears in the game has 13 'each girl' versions because that's required for the game, which just doesn't apply to Love Live. Which isn't to say they release full-length versions of all of them. Where's my full length version of Miki x Visionary, Namco?

Polsy fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 10, 2016

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I find that the short version of Visionary is superior to the long version but that's just me. Same for a lot of the in game songs actually. Honey Heartbeat's full length version left a lot of be desired.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Ah, I haven't actually heard a full Visionary so it's possible the extra part is bad, yeah, I've only heard the game versions.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Love Live doesn't have subunits singing the songs of other subunits but they do have like... 12 to 14 solos of group songs per girl?

It differs depending on the girl, but they generally have solo versions of their subunit songs and the regular group songs. The 2nd years have the most, I think, cause Susume Tomorrow is limited to the 2nd years.

I'm a very big fan of Umi solos, especially ANONE GANBARE.
Oh, well I guess I was mistaken then. How are those solo songs released though? I just googled "Dancing Stars on Me Solo" and "Dancing Stars on Me ソロ” and nothing came up.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Zettace posted:

Oh, well I guess I was mistaken then. How are those solo songs released though? I just googled "Dancing Stars on Me Solo" and "Dancing Stars on Me ソロ” and nothing came up.

Haven't really delved further but the answer is at least "somehow".

http://love-live.wikia.com/wiki/Solo_Live!_collection
http://love-live.wikia.com/wiki/Solo_Live!_Collection_Memorial_BOX_II

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Oh, it looks like Dancing Stars on Me and Sore wa Bokutachi no Kiseki don't have solo versions sadly (according to Japanese yahoo answers).

Edit:Also, Susume Tomorrow not being sung by the other grades is a war crime.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 10, 2016

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Man about songs, it's sort of weird, but Eli's voice actress I knew because of her work in FripSide, but overall I like Lido(rins voice actresses) the most, her singing voice is so soft and pleasant, like a bell.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Rippi? Yeah, she has a great singing voice. Clear and consistent, though maybe a hair much in a cutesy direction that isn't really 100% my favorite. But all the same, quite the pro. Kururin Miracle remains my favorite solo from the S2 original songs.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Welp, I have failed.

Daily 60 pull, nothing.

Bought enough jewels to top off a 10-pull, nothing.

BOUGHT A TEN PULL. NOTHING.

:negative:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gotta quit while you're behind, bro.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Believe me, I've wasted way more money on phone games than I'd like to admit.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Yeah, I'm not gonna spend any more on it for awhile.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy loving poo poo I started up my KR LL and this loving game is atrocious.

It keeps disconnecting and crashing.

Yet it's the only edition I have a non-promo UR in.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Oh Christ, the Anime Boston competition is going to have full text size and full cut-ins. Gross.

I just tried it with Dancing Stars on Me and only managed a 202 combo.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Holy loving poo poo I started up my KR LL and this loving game is atrocious.

It keeps disconnecting and crashing.

Yet it's the only edition I have a non-promo UR in.

That's because you hoard gems! Spend them on Nico!

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm saving my gems for Nico.

Especially since apparently participants in the Thanksgiving event at Anime Boston get 86 loveca free for participating.

That's going towards cyber set draws for sure.

Hopefully I do get to be one of the 100 actually competing, though.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oh poo poo.

Fifth song: Soldier Game. I should probably back out.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Oh poo poo.

Fifth song: Soldier Game. I should probably back out.

Pop some healers and be done with it, you've got this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Backed out, got Maki.

Discretion, valor, idols, there's an aphorism somewhere in there.