Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I posted it in the Convince Someone To Read A Manga(etc) thread but it belongs here too:

The author who also does The Magician's Bride(mahou tsukai no yome) is making a more typical romance series as well, about a high schooler who gets together with a college graduate and they agree to marry once he's out of high school. It's super sweet so long as you're not offended by those sorts of romances. I like all the characters in it, even if some may not be good people themselves, and it's just really cute most of the time.

A new chapter came out today and it's very good. Ending was a bit...jarring, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
... I... didn't make the connection that they're related and now I feel stupid for doing so. They're two of my favorite series.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Speaking of Mahoutsukai no Yome, it's apparently getting an OVA, in case some people don't read the season thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoCwUzbkfdk

Looks pretty!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
But it's a prequel so gently caress that

If it focuses on Chise it'll be The Biggest Bummer since her past is unending suffering

If it focuses on Elias...I don't really care about Elias pre-Chise. Unless it actually does the flashback about him that's in the manga, otherwise it's not really what I'd be interested in, since seeing him Beep Boop What Is Love alongside Chise is half his charm.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

But it's a prequel so gently caress that

If it focuses on Chise it'll be The Biggest Bummer since her past is unending suffering

If it focuses on Elias...I don't really care about Elias pre-Chise. Unless it actually does the flashback about him that's in the manga, otherwise it's not really what I'd be interested in, since seeing him Beep Boop What Is Love alongside Chise is half his charm.

Watch the trailer. That ain't prequel material.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Speaking of Mahoutsukai no Yome, it's apparently getting an OVA, in case some people don't read the season thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoCwUzbkfdk

Looks pretty!

Holy poo poo that's gorgeous!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Baron Snow posted:

Holy poo poo that's gorgeous!

:yeah:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Darth Walrus posted:

Watch the trailer. That ain't prequel material.
The news I heard was that the oav itself was a prequel. We shall see I guess

If it's not, then that's even worse since ancient magus bride deserves better than a 3 episode oav.

Not saying the trailer isn't downright gorgeous though

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 10, 2016

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I'd much rather it have 3 amazingly beautiful OAVs then see it get DEENed for 13+ episodes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Because that's definitely the only other option, right? It's a chance but, well, I hope this oav does well and they consider making a full series of it eventually.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i did a bit of research and apparently the ova is definitely a prequel, but they wanted to eventually do a regular anime too so they made this pv showcasing the normal series as a way to satisfy that desire + build a bit of hype

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I know this isn't exactly the thread I'm looking for, but I recently gave Katawa Shoujo a try, and have found myself really enjoying it as a piece of media. I'd like to try some other Shoujo romance novel-game things, but have no idea where to start. Is there a different thread I should read? Or, if not, what are some of the standout, universally liked ones?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

A new chapter came out today and it's very good. Ending was a bit...jarring, though.

It's almost over, only a 2 volume manga so I assume that was a time skip to set up the ending but yeah it was a little abrupt.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

rotinaj posted:

I know this isn't exactly the thread I'm looking for, but I recently gave Katawa Shoujo a try, and have found myself really enjoying it as a piece of media. I'd like to try some other Shoujo romance novel-game things, but have no idea where to start. Is there a different thread I should read? Or, if not, what are some of the standout, universally liked ones?

There was a thread, but it got locked. This site is what you want if you're curious about what's out there in the visual novel world.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Everything Burrito posted:

It's almost over, only a 2 volume manga so I assume that was a time skip to set up the ending but yeah it was a little abrupt.
Well that's sure disappointing!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

Well that's sure disappointing!

It's a pretty good time to start reading (or well once the last chapter (s) come out) because it's taken forever to come out and now you can just read straight through.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

rotinaj posted:

I'm really liking YuriGhosts: actual name Kindred Spirits on the Roof.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

There's still a thread, though it's not very active. It is better than the old one, though. :v:

a kitten posted:

I can second this (although it has ~lesbians~ in it :gay:). I don't really follow hetero romance VNs with male leads but Code:Realize for the Vita is very enjoyable if you don't mind playing as a girl and romancing guys! I think it has a pretty interesting setting and story and the characters are great too.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

jellycat posted:

I can second this (although it has ~lesbians~ in it :gay:).
Feature not a bug.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Kylra posted:

Feature not a bug.

I'm not arguing, I always want to date the "best friend" characters in otome games.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

a kitten posted:

I have so many games to play and things to watch but one day I'll get to it, for sure

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man I love everything I've read by Gido Amagakure. Inu to Tsubame popped up today completely translated so that was awesome. It's a bit older and the art was a little rougher than Sweetness & Lightning but still has a lot of the same charm (I love the attention she puts into her glasses guys). I'm still a little teary after reading it, the brother's story was really bittersweet. I also really like the series that starts with Koi made Hyakurin with the ex-yakuza florist and his little gangster boyfriend and the related ones with the brother, they're a lot more light-hearted. Haven't read any of her shoujo-ai stuff so I have no opinion there but if they're anything like the rest of her work they're probably pretty solid.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

rotinaj posted:

There's a lot of visual novel games on Steam. I do recommend some games from Cyanide Tea, specifically, Nachtigal and Tarradhin. Both are fairly short, but they're also free, definitely has shoujo romance tones since they're heavily working from/inspired by the genre (but they have unique settings and diverse characters). Another one the team made as a temporary collab with another developer is The Blind Griffin. A little lengthier, kind of copy paste in terms of writing and plot, but keep in mind this was done within a month. Also free! Oh yeah and I should mention there's no 18+ content aside from implied stuff.

Another VN that's free is CUPID (yes it's in caps). I... should actually finish this one, I keep getting distracted by other things, but the reviews seem to be mostly positive.

If you want to keep things JP flavored Steam has Clannad. Although the pricetag is high it is a highly praised VN. Art hasn't aged well though in my opinion, but the anime based on this is pretty okay from what I remember if you prefer watching instead.

So yeah, there's a few romance stories that you could try giving a whirl if you want.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

play Analogue and Hate Plus

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Now I'm hyped for Mahoutsukai no Yome from the trailer alone it looks movie quality.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you read the latest chapter of Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni! I'll have no choice but to stain these hands red. :toughguy:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shinozaki, you are the loving worst at not becoming an Otaku, holy poo poo.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Or maybe shes actually, the best???

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
omg! a new chapter of Shiro no Koro came out with hopefully the rest of the volume to follow. I thought maybe a new group had taken it but it's the same one, they just picked it back up after sitting on it all this time I guess. Same author as Yamada to Shounen and that really cute one with the chubby boy Hoppe ni Himawari (the extra from it just came out the other day too).

e: also final chapter of Hidamari ga Kikoeru came out, I was kinda hoping for an extra but it doesn't sound like there's anything left from that post :(

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 15, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There was another chapter of Mahoutsukai no Yome today, too, with the rest of Alice's backstory: http://bato.to/reader#6d2afdc19d8febed

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

rotinaj posted:

Just since I didn't see anyone else mention it, Katawa Shoujo is not shoujo (as in the genre). The genre refers to being targeted at girls, while Katawa Shoujo obviously isn't. So if you're looking for similar things, you're not exactly going to find them if you look for stuff tagged as "shoujo" (unless it's mis-tagged, which actually isn't uncommon; a lot of shounen romcoms are mis-tagged as shoujo for some reason).

As an unrelated note, going to mention again that anyone who hasn't read 7 Seeds should read it because it owns. If just one person reads it as a result of this post, then it's worth it. It is the only shoujo/josei manga I've ever read that isn't primarily romance, comedy, or slice of life (it still has plenty of romance, but it's sort of secondary to the plot and other aspects of the characters' relationships). Despite having a bunch of characters (I think like 25-30), most are very interesting and unique. I am envious of anyone who gets to read it from scratch, since it is ongoing with over 100 chapters (and these are long chapters, since I think it's a monthly manga).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i'll check that out when its done but you should check out some shoujo/josei horror if that's the only title you can think of. authors like Takahashi Yousuke and senno knife do great horror. junji itou has done a bunch for josei mags too. also chihayafuru is a sports josei of course!!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I stumbled on this on Dynasty Scans, and it's pretty good: http://dynasty-scans.com/series/she_her_camera_and_her_seasons

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
that's the same group that was doing Ohana Holoholo and they haven't updated in like seven months :negative:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah I forgot about that, mostly because the last translated chapter was six months ago, glad there's a new one out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kawaii scans do some good series but they can be horribly slow, I don't know how much is them and how much is having to wait for tankubons though.

I liked BGMRSP but I haven't seen I new chapter of that for like over a year or more and the author is working on that NTR thing now (I think that was them anyway).

E: wasn't that it was the gory death game one I didn't like

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 18, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There was a new chapter of Kiss Him, Not Me on Monday, too. I don't remember seeing anyone post it: http://mangafox.me/manga/watashi_ga_motete_dousunda/v08/c034/1.html

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

I stumbled on this on Dynasty Scans, and it's pretty good: http://dynasty-scans.com/series/she_her_camera_and_her_seasons

what a terrible place to run out of pages!!!!!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Tomo-chan has been going steadily since coming back from vacation, and in my opinion it's the best 4koma series out there, rarely is there a strip that isn't great. The only downside is the romance'll never go anywhere, but hey, at least we get fun pages like this one

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Tomo-chan-wa-Onnanoko/Ch-275?id=267712

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I believe in Tomo, I'm sure the romance will progress eventually. Even though it's had nearly 300 pages, not a whole lot of time has elapsed in-universe. :v: