Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

He didn't use magic or anything. Newspaper Spidey just isn't very good at keeping his secret.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
This is great, by the way.
And that's how Snoopy died, replaced by a camera-mugging pop culture fiend.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

3way in Bernice's is implied no matter what is shown

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They're gonna have a stubble-off.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
Bernice wins.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

At this point, I believe in all honesty that the writer of this strip is trolling us.

?! How is that supposed to be pronounced? 'Momuh?' Moma? Is she suggesting the Metropolitan Museum of Art has an automotive assistance service?

This is glorious :allears:

But does he have like a hundred goddamned dicks? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iVsdRbhnc

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Ms Boods posted:

?! How is that supposed to be pronounced? 'Momuh?' Moma? Is she suggesting the Metropolitan Museum of Art has an automotive assistance service?

Probably mom-uh not mo-muh. One of the irritating things RiR does is write out that baby's speech phonetically when it's speaking perfectly good english.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

All those images are showing as broken for me in Chrome, don't know about anyone else.

edit: VV No offense taken. They seem to be working fine in the iOS app, but not in Chrome. That's weird, usually it's the other way around for me.

Try right clicking the image and clicking open image in new tab. As I understand it the images are hosted in an HTTP coded site but the forums are in HTTPS. Chrome is fine with a site being HTTP or HTTPS but not both. Something to do with security. I don't know, it bugs me too though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm kind of amazed at how quickly it swung from "Bernice has a thing for Piro and Gunther's into Tiffany like she is into him" to "Bernice doesn't care about Piro and Gunther's more into Bernice than anything". Do the writers not remember their own strip, or do they just assume the readers don't?

I mean, that is basically how it was going before, right? I'm not misremembering/crazy?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Squishy posted:

Probably mom-uh not mo-muh. One of the irritating things RiR does is write out that baby's speech phonetically when it's speaking perfectly good english.

It's called eye dialect and it's one of the most tremendously annoying things in print.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

I'm kind of amazed at how quickly it swung from "Bernice has a thing for Piro and Gunther's into Tiffany like she is into him" to "Bernice doesn't care about Piro and Gunther's more into Bernice than anything". Do the writers not remember their own strip, or do they just assume the readers don't?

I mean, that is basically how it was going before, right? I'm not misremembering/crazy?
How characters act in Luann is less based on their characteristics than on what's required to have one of several tired old plot setups. It's like the most boring wrestling fed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Roland Jones posted:

Bernice definitely had a thing for Piro, and probably still does, it just hasn't come up in a while. Tiffany was being friendly to Gunther, which made him think she was trying to tempt him into terrible, sinful acts because, of all the characters, he's the most scared of sex. Gunther now wants to ask Bernice out, but she's totally oblivious and thinks he's interested in Tiffany. Piro's just this guy who appears in the background sometimes and has barely said or done anything.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

You know, I just realized what bothered me so much about RWO...in every strip, they put the stinger before the joke instead of after it. You you read the title, then see the little thing beneath it that isn't funny and doesn't make sense, then you read the comic, then I guess you're expected to go back and re-read the stinger.

Why? It's so forcefully clumsy.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tiggum posted:

Piro's just this guy who appears in the background sometimes and has barely said or done anything.

Which for now by default makes him the best character.

At least until Mafia business man guy starts taking out hits on all the main cast.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Bernice still has a thing for Piro. That's why she's pushing Gunther to try to date Tiffany, so that Tiffany is "taken" and Piro won't go after her, leaving Bernice as presumably his only option.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Eye Dialect discussion station, Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
wow, for the first time ever, I enjoyed a Dilbert.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (March 13, 1969)

Yeah, pretty much.

Funky Winkerbean

This strip is putting an awful lot of effort to establish a couple of characters who are just going to be forgotten background players within six months, like everybody else who didn't graduate with Les Moore.

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 28-29, 1928)

Thimble Theater (September 27, 1929)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

This strip is putting an awful lot of effort to establish a couple of characters who are just going to be forgotten background players within six months, like everybody else who didn't graduate with Les Moore.

Also, the colorist changed the hair color

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Shugojin posted:

Also, the colorist changed the hair color

That's not the half of it. This is what they looked like last summer (or in Batiuk time, "ten years ago, which still happens to be last summer".)

Maybe they're trying to split the difference now? :shrug:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I can't get over how much more motion there is in Dilbert now that Adams isn't drawing it. Like, everyone's doing something other than just sitting or standing with their arms at their sides.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I wish Scott Adams was never coming back to the strip. It's much better now.

Mark Trail

The editor did not allow us to see Mark Trail blowing guys up - will we be able to see a bat-obsessed goon crushed to death by rocks? Find out tomorrow!

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 10, 2016

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I can't get over how much more motion there is in Dilbert now that Adams isn't drawing it. Like, everyone's doing something other than just sitting or standing with their arms at their sides.
A lot of subtlety in the facial expressions too. Rather than just the usual no expression, followed by no expression, followed by characters screaming and throwing tantrums.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

When are cartoonists going to learn not to write strips about the weather in March? They never line up properly with the actual conditions outside. A week and a half ago this would have worked, but now it's like the Dog Comix of Summer out there.

Pooch Café

I like it when the strip goes out of its way to satirize this kind of weird abusive pet-owner relationship. Why would Jon ever let Garfield get away with half the poo poo he does?

Ballard Street

This, on the other hand, is a perfectly healthy relationship. The dog is doing something the owner doesn't expect, but he's doing it in a helpful way.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Weird hair in this one. Lydia looks like a Poptropica character and I do not understand what Ms. Mebberson's got going on at all.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (February 15, 1951)

Barnaby (July 23, 1942)

Nancy (April 1, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (December 13, 1928)

Gasoline Alley (January 11, 1923)

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

RandomFerret posted:

Weird hair in this one. Lydia looks like a Poptropica character and I do not understand what Ms. Mebberson's got going on at all.

She's Wolverine.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Evil Mastermind posted:

What's that you say? You want more Working Daze? :haw:

Special place in Hell for you, dude. Special place.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This seems politically relevant.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

What exactly was the connection between Working Daze and Zachary whatever the gently caress that led to it being posted here? Same author? I'm no longer surprised that I disliked the latter so much, regardless.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

SomeMathGuy posted:

What exactly was the connection between Working Daze and Zachary whatever the gently caress that led to it being posted here? Same author? I'm no longer surprised that I disliked the latter so much, regardless.

Yeah, same author; John Zachour.

Does Working Daze actually run in any papers, or is it just a webcomic?

(I don't care one way or the other. It's incompetence amuses me)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Simian_Prime posted:

Yeah, same author; John Zachour.

Does Working Daze actually run in any papers, or is it just a webcomic?

(I don't care one way or the other. It's incompetence amuses me)
Yeah, it came to our attention back when someone was posting Zakour's weird-rear end badly drawn supposedly transhumanist comic based on the novels he's apparently written.

Working Daze apparently used to appear in papers, but I can't find if it's currently in papers or not.

The official Facebook page doesn't say anything about what papers it's in, but they are posting "classic" strips that prove that it was never funny, and that Zakour's pretty much always been a dick.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Much like how every time I glance at Sally Forth it's always about Ted's wacky pop culture references or the miserable lives their friends and families lead, every time I glance at Phantom it's always with the Phantom looking smug clowning some fool and said fool being amazed at the ghost who talks too much.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil 06/28/15

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Hugh clearly hasn't spent much time in a McEldowney strip.

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Huh. Google indicates that "precipitate" can, technically, be used in that situation.

Technically.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zereth posted:

Huh. Google indicates that "precipitate" can, technically, be used in that situation.

Technically.
I'm glad I'm not the only person who looked that up.

And yes, it can be used in that way. Of course, absolutely nobody would because people do not loving talk that way!

Anyway.

The Classic Dinette Set doesn't care whose back it's talking behind.

Working Daze wants you to relax.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix knows the gild is off the lily.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's to distract you from the complete lack of a joke in that strip.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

I hate you, Bernice and Gunther.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who looked that up.
I was planning on trying to make fun of mceldowny by pasting the dictionary definition. But it turns out technically it has an adjective definition which technically fits? But I would bet money that when actually used for that definition it still isn't used like that.

• Locked thread