Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Oh no everyone who cherry picks episodes of a TV season based on IMDB ratings is going to skip it.

(What exactly is the goal?)

Hell hath no fury like a shipper scorned.

I only found out because some guy on r/tv was asking if the 100 was worth it because he noticed that the latest episode had half the rating of the previous one and was wondering if the show had jumped the shark or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hope and vaseline posted:

Do CW shows benefit from delaying important episodes into the sweeps period? Or are they so niche that this doesn't really matter

Sweeps has nothing to do with what benefits the shows, it's to set advertising rates for the next year. It doesn't matter how niche your viewership is, you want maximum number of eyeballs in front of the screen when that happens.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

:siren: S3 E8 Terms and Conditions :siren:

Kane's attempt to handle things peacefully may have to give way to more drastic measures; Pike suspects that someone in Arkadia is leaking information; Raven confides in Jasper for help with a plan.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Lexa fans legitimately want to see the show cancelled now. This whole campaign has officially moved from the realm of "unhappy fans voicing their opinions" to "shrieking children smashing their own toys in a temper tantrum."

EDIT: And I loving guarantee you that if they succeed, the takeaway will not be "oh, we better treat our gay characters better!" It will be "don't even bother courting gay fans, they're loving crazy and will turn on you at the drop of a hat." Nothing shoots itself in the foot quite like tumblr social justice. :downs:

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 10, 2016

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

hollylolly posted:

:siren: S3 E8 Terms and Conditions :siren:

Kane's attempt to handle things peacefully may have to give way to more drastic measures; Pike suspects that someone in Arkadia is leaking information; Raven confides in Jasper for help with a plan.

:neckbeard: I hope we get to see Kane be a stone cold badass this episode.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spergatory posted:

Lexa fans legitimately want to see the show cancelled now. This whole campaign has officially moved from the realm of "unhappy fans voicing their opinions" to "shrieking children smashing their own toys in a temper tantrum."

EDIT: And I loving guarantee you that if they succeed, the takeaway will not be "oh, we better treat our gay characters better!" It will be "don't even bother courting gay fans, they're loving crazy and will turn on you at the drop of a hat." Nothing shoots itself in the foot quite like tumblr social justice. :downs:

They won't succeed. The ratings for last week were actually up a tenth over the week before. It's an extremely small but extremely vocal minority.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

zoux posted:

They won't succeed. The ratings for last week were actually up a tenth over the week before. It's an extremely small but extremely vocal minority.

But last week was when she died. So we haven't seen the response to it yet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

But last week was when she died. So we haven't seen the response to it yet.

I could've sworn it was two weeks ago...but nope it was Thursday. This has been a longer week than I thought :eng99:

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

zoux posted:

It's an extremely small but extremely vocal minority.

This is something I have to remind myself of every time something blows up on the internet. Most people just don't give a poo poo. I hope the show-runners weather the vocal criticism though. The writers of 'Arrow' caved to their screaming fans, and the show has been going downhill all season for it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If ratings are dropping its probably because someone decided this season needed to be "WOPR vs Skynet: Does anyone have a working tic-tac-toe program?"

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

FELD1 posted:

This is something I have to remind myself of every time something blows up on the internet. Most people just don't give a poo poo. I hope the show-runners weather the vocal criticism though. The writers of 'Arrow' caved to their screaming fans, and the show has been going downhill all season for it.

I wasn't aware there was Arrow controversy this season. What did they cave to?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Azhais posted:

If ratings are dropping its probably because someone decided this season needed to be "WOPR vs Skynet: Does anyone have a working tic-tac-toe program?"

They aren't.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

qbert posted:

They had Felicity and Oliver get together, but that's hardly the issue. The issue is the writers can't find anything better to do than have Felicity be a full time :byodame: when it comes to keeping secrets

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently the showrunner lost 15000 followers or something as part of their campaign.

That's an insignificant number. It's like a tenth of a tenth of a ratings point if they're all 18-34.

qbert posted:

Additionally, there are set photos from the episode which presumably reveals who dies this season, and if they are what they seem it means the showrunners are very dumb.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Spergatory posted:

Nah, still fans voicing their opinions, just weird and bad opinions that don't make sense.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently the showrunner lost 15000 followers or something as part of their campaign.

That's an insignificant number. It's like a tenth of a tenth of a ratings point if they're all 18-34.

And that's only if they actually quit watching.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Truth be told it's a little strange how worked up people get over this, but I guess I wasn't as exclusively invested in Lexa as others were? I liked her and agreed it sucked when she died (not on a cataclysmic level just the way you feel when a character you like dies) but the show ran for a while without her being a significant character, what were those people enjoying before Lexa came around?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Truth be told it's a little strange how worked up people get over this, but I guess I wasn't as exclusively invested in Lexa as others were? I liked her and agreed it sucked when she died (not on a cataclysmic level just the way you feel when a character you like dies) but the show ran for a while without her being a significant character, what were those people enjoying before Lexa came around?

most of them began watching the show because they heard about Lexa

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Troposphere posted:

most of them began watching the show because they heard about Lexa

I think I have to accept that I'll ever be able to wrap my head around people like this, or the people who stop watching a show if their favourite character dies, or people on tumblr or twitter. Oh well, to each their own I guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Azhais posted:

The way the AI works with the Commander's blood means you have to scratch the game into her abs.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I think a lot of you are failing to grasp the point that there are not many lesbian characters on television and certainly not many that are important to the plot and who have relationships with the main character

people can't just go oh well guess I'll just change the channel to another show that has this because it doesn't exist. that's why they're angry.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

I think I have to accept that I'll ever be able to wrap my head around people like this, or the people who stop watching a show if their favourite character dies, or people on tumblr or twitter. Oh well, to each their own I guess.

I can understand no longer watching a show if the main things that are interesting to you stop being there. Whether it's a character or whatever else.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Troposphere posted:

I think a lot of you are failing to grasp the point that there are not many lesbian characters on television and certainly not many that are important to the plot and who have relationships with the main character

people can't just go oh well guess I'll just change the channel to another show that has this because it doesn't exist. that's why they're angry.

No we get that but since the alternative is to never ever kill off an lgbt character even if the actor leaves the show or we riot, it's absurd.

Johnny Truant posted:

This happens all the time though. AV Club even had a Q&A about it the other day.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Troposphere posted:

You've made that abundantly clear. I guess I don't understand why people need to relate to the entertainment they watch. Like, gently caress, I relate to none of the characters on House of Cards but I eat that poo poo up.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I can understand no longer watching a show if the main things that are interesting to you stop being there. Whether it's a character or whatever else.

No I agree with you here, like if Lexa dying is The 100's sharkjump and the show is literally FTWD quality afterwards. But people crying about this poo poo just seem immature to me.

zoux posted:

This happens all the time though. AV Club even had a Q&A about it the other day.

Oh, really? I'll have to find that, maybe it can shed some light on this for me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's okay for people to be mad. If Arrow goes through with the rumors I'm going to be mad at them.

The problem is the people having a normal response to a character they like being killed off are being crowded out by the crazies trying to get the show canceled, attacking people on Twitter, trying to do ratings bombs, etc.

Or worse than all that watching Fear the Walking Dead instead.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think it makes sense to be disappointed and even angry, but there's only so far that can really go. They gave Lexa a good arc and her death is a significant plot affecting event not just a cheap shock moment for another character's development (though I guess we don't really know what's going to happen wrt Clarke and Titus on that end.) Her death could have been better, happening right after the sex scene reeked of getting stuff out of the way so they could kill her and the little comedy of errors death was pretty cliche. Like I understand fan resentment, and think those are some good points.

I guess the disconnect for me is I don't think the show was ever really about Lexa, but for a lot of fans it was.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

You've made that abundantly clear. I guess I don't understand why people need to relate to the entertainment they watch. Like, gently caress, I relate to none of the characters on House of Cards but I eat that poo poo up.

No I agree with you here, like if Lexa dying is The 100's sharkjump and the show is literally FTWD quality afterwards. But people crying about this poo poo just seem immature to me.

Oh, really? I'll have to find that, maybe it can shed some light on this for me.

http://www.avclub.com/article/what-show-did-you-quit-watching-after-character-yo-232572

Also I did a bit of research into "Bury Your Gays" after last week. Common dramatic devices like the Bechdel test, fridging, black guys die first and so on usually have some quantified scholarship so we're not just relying on viewers' anecdotal data. Everything recent I can find on BYG is from tvtropes or tumblr, but I did find this blog entry that tries to integrate BYG into existing Queer Theory and here's how they define it: " The T.V. trope ‘Bury your gays’ follows the format of painting a tragic tale of an individual struggling against an oppressive society which either directly kills the individual or pushes them to murder. Mulholland Dr., Cruising, Cloud Atlas, Brideshead Revisited, and shockingly Nine Dead Gay Guys (to name a few) all follow this rough format." Does that sound like what happened on The 100?

I don't have an issue with talking about lack of representation on TV or the ways in which characters representing irl marginalized populations are poorly served by straight white dominated media companies, but I can't stand it when people try to take a subjective narrative decision and try to make it objective by labeling it problematic. It's harmful to the cause of equality and acceptance, because the next time The 100 writers have an opportunity to make a character gay, I bet they think twice.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I guess the disconnect for me is I don't think the show was ever really about Lexa, but for a lot of fans it was.

Fans are loving nuts.

I think the leads from Supernatural get literal death threats, and I read a story that some fan tried to get the actor's wife kicked out of a con by telling security she was a hooker or something?

Yeah, Lexa getting killed off is a bummer, even if it's a bummer that has a valid reason (it's hardly a fridging) but that doesn't matter to the literal crazy people we're talking about.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

zoux posted:

http://www.avclub.com/article/what-show-did-you-quit-watching-after-character-yo-232572

Also I did a bit of research into "Bury Your Gays" after last week. Common dramatic devices like the Bechdel test, fridging, black guys die first and so on usually have some quantified scholarship so we're not just relying on viewers' anecdotal data. Everything recent I can find on BYG is from tvtropes or tumblr, but I did find this blog entry that tries to integrate BYG into existing Queer Theory and here's how they define it: " The T.V. trope ‘Bury your gays’ follows the format of painting a tragic tale of an individual struggling against an oppressive society which either directly kills the individual or pushes them to murder. Mulholland Dr., Cruising, Cloud Atlas, Brideshead Revisited, and shockingly Nine Dead Gay Guys (to name a few) all follow this rough format." Does that sound like what happened on The 100?

I don't have an issue with talking about lack of representation on TV or the ways in which characters representing irl marginalized populations are poorly served by straight white dominated media companies, but I can't stand it when people try to take a subjective narrative decision and try to make it objective by labeling it problematic. It's harmful to the cause of equality and acceptance, because the next time The 100 writers have an opportunity to make a character gay, I bet they think twice.

This is a good post and you are a cool person!

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I'd say that describes the situation pretty well, considering lexa's whole thing was her getting over costia's death and her "love is weakness" mindset, but as soon as she did and the love was reciprocated she died

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Troposphere posted:

I'd say that describes the situation pretty well, considering lexa's whole thing was her getting over costia's death and her "love is weakness" mindset, but as soon as she did and the love was reciprocated she died

Nope.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Love doesn't mean Sex. She's clearly loved Clarke for a while now, and has been a pretty lovely leader because of it.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

yep.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If the leader of a society is openly gay, then that is not an oppressive society in the BYG sense. The show goes out of its way to show how unremarkable it is to not be straight.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

zoux posted:

If the leader of a society is openly gay, then that is not an oppressive society in the BYG sense.

and that is one person's opinion on what the trope means

I've always seen it used as "gays must be tragic and can't be happy".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Troposphere posted:

and that is one person's opinion on what the trope means

I've always seen it used as "gays must be tragic and can't be happy".

Gee you must have hated the 100 from day one then huh.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

zoux posted:

Gee you must have hated the 100 from day one then huh.

what? no...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I started reading the tumblr and twitter craziness and holy poo poo.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rhyno posted:

So I started reading the tumblr and twitter craziness and holy poo poo.

Never use social media IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Troposphere posted:

what? no...

But everyone is unhappy and tragic all the time?

That's the reason that "gay people can't be unhappy or it's a trope" is loving stupid because it creates a separate class of character that is immune to the rules of storytelling, which are rules because they create compelling and interesting characters. What you are complaining about is actually better for LGBT representation than an absurd contextless moratorium on drama because the shipping echochamber on the internet has tried to appropriate another critical paradigm they understand at the most superficial level.

• Locked thread