Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Tiny Child Zangief is the best thing to happen to Dragon Quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The GIG posted:

Actually the person who okay'd Alena's voice should be promoted and given majority share of the company.

:agreed:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I like Alena as a character but I hate her VA too and actually switched her out because of it

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So I've played a couple hours of Lightning Returns. I feel like I can't make it through a battle without using a potion though, even with guarding I take too many hits. Is there a way to dodge, or is this just the way the game is?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

triplexpac posted:

So I've played a couple hours of Lightning Returns. I feel like I can't make it through a battle without using a potion though, even with guarding I take too many hits. Is there a way to dodge, or is this just the way the game is?

There are Dodge abilities but they require specific timing. Speaking of which you know that Guardian an attack just before it hits nullifies all damage from it in a Perfect Guard sort of way, right? You shouldn't be holding down guard you should be timing it for the last moment.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I like Alena as a character but I hate her VA too and actually switched her out because of it

Alena's voice owns hard and makes her the best character.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

triplexpac posted:

If you didn't start your first run on easy that would probably be my first recommendation. But likely you're timing your guards wrong. The window is only like 1/8th of a second or something.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Alena's voice owns hard and makes her the best character.

Seriously, I was kind of bored of the game until she showed up in a whirlwind of broken English and fists and it was great.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Saint Freak posted:

If you didn't start your first run on easy that would probably be my first recommendation. But likely you're timing your guards wrong. The window is only like 1/8th of a second or something.

Yeah... maybe I'll take another stab at it on Easy mode haha

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm getting tired of English/faux British English accent being the go to for RPGs, so hearing something different makes me feel good.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How is IX still not out on steam yet, a month after showing up on the loving app store of all places?

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

bango skank posted:

How is IX still not out on steam yet, a month after showing up on the loving app store of all places?

Because square enix hates each and every one of us.

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
Don't worry. It will be out "Early 2016" so surely it will come out any day now.

Any day now...

:suicide:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

triplexpac posted:

there is a way to dodge, which is to find a dodge command somewhere and then equip it. some enemies you absolutely shouldn't be fighting yet (the robot insect things are a massive pain before you get ways to damage them better) and some you just need to guard better. or just build a tanking garb that raises guard power as much as possible and use it for guarding, if you want.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Gologle posted:

I'm getting tired of English/faux British English accent being the go to for RPGs, so hearing something different makes me feel good.

I think this has a lot to do with Japan's obsession with Europe. When I was there, it seemed like every single white spokesperson was British with the one exception of Tommy Lee Jones and Boss Coffee.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

bango skank posted:

The order is they release an ios game, and then they port it to Windows. So they are busy on the Windows porting job.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah but wasn't it a Unity joint? So unless they had to figure out how to implement keyboard/gamepad support (again, after how many other phone->PC ports), they literally could've just clicked the box that says, "BUILD FOR WINDOWS/MAC/LINUX."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FanaticalMilk posted:

I think this has a lot to do with Japan's obsession with Europe. When I was there, it seemed like every single white spokesperson was British with the one exception of Tommy Lee Jones and Boss Coffee.

I knew Japan loves European pop starlets, because I also love 80s pop, but I never knew they liked all of Europe. I thought they loved American stuff.

Anyway, much of fantasy is based on medieval Europe. It's kinda natural then to go for British accents because "Britsih accents" put people in mind of dukes and earls and tea.

I have no idea what game was being discussed, though. The only FF with "a British thing" in the voice-acting was XII. And even then, that was reserved for people like Basch or Gabranth. Vaan and Penelo and most others talked normally or, in the case of nobles, regally but still not ye ol' speak.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 11, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

In Heavensward they went with a new VA company in the UK, so now all the voice actors for FF14 are British. I like it better than a bunch of the usual anime suspects.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm holding out an irrational hope that the delay on FFIX Steam is to actually make it a PC port and not a port of a phone game like V and VI but there's probably not actually all that much to the distinction.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm holding out an irrational hope that the delay on FFIX Steam is to actually make it a PC port and not a port of a phone game like V and VI but there's probably not actually all that much to the distinction.

what does that even mean

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Well first of all I did say it was a irrational hope and disclaim in that post that the distinction isn't as big as I imagined. But stuff like menus that aren't blatantly designed for a small touch interface.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Well first of all I did say it was a irrational hope and disclaim in that post that the distinction isn't as big as I imagined. But stuff like menus that aren't blatantly designed for a small touch interface.

Other than the back button and a few things on the world map it's the same mediocre menu system IX has always had. I sure love that the screen where I equip items to learn abilities can't tell me what the abilities do.

Chocobo Hot n Cold with a touchscreen is disastrous btw. I mean, I hate the minigame anyway but it is rancid beyond belief when you're fighting the limitations of a touch screen.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

Other than the back button and a few things on the world map it's the same mediocre menu system IX has always had. I sure love that the screen where I equip items to learn abilities can't tell me what the abilities do.

Chocobo Hot n Cold with a touchscreen is disastrous btw. I mean, I hate the minigame anyway but it is rancid beyond belief when you're fighting the limitations of a touch screen.

If you hit the select button, a "help" menu comes out of the cursor that, indeed, tells you what the abilities do.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

SMH if you don't have the Help Moogle up at all times.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So in all my playthroughs of FFVII, I've never had much use for the Morph materia. It's just too irritating since you do like no damage with it. You gotta be so painfully precise chipping the enemy's HP down without killing them. But I was curious about it this run, and since I'm playing a hard mod I figure I might need to get good at this. Well, I went to the desert around Gold Saucer to get Aqualung from the Harpy and once that was obtained, I was curious about what it can Morph into.

loving Elixirs, man. Which means I have a potentially endless source of Elixirs right here. I'm not going to do that but man, that's just goddam awesome.I'm gonna be Morphing everything in the game from now on.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

So in all my playthroughs of FFVII, I've never had much use for the Morph materia. It's just too irritating since you do like no damage with it. You gotta be so painfully precise chipping the enemy's HP down without killing them. But I was curious about it this run, and since I'm playing a hard mod I figure I might need to get good at this. Well, I went to the desert around Gold Saucer to get Aqualung from the Harpy and once that was obtained, I was curious about what it can Morph into.

loving Elixirs, man. Which means I have a potentially endless source of Elixirs right here. I'm not going to do that but man, that's just goddam awesome.I'm gonna be Morphing everything in the game from now on.

Yuffie does full damage morphs but I think it's only with a specific weapon equipped

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The Conformer, relatively late-game.

E: Before someone asks why the game doesn't tell you, I don't think it was intentional. The Conformer's special damage milt overrides a whole lot of things.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fister Roboto posted:

In Heavensward they went with a new VA company in the UK, so now all the voice actors for FF14 are British. I like it better than a bunch of the usual anime suspects.

Speaking as a Brit, it's always a novel experience listening to UK accents in JRPGs where they're playing majority of the cast, and not just the villain. The Last Story even had regional accents that weren't just the ususal RP/Cockney/Estuary trifecta! :britain:

We're so used to US media, it's always kind of odd to hear otherwise in a JRPG setting.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 11, 2016

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'll listen to British English over American English any day of the week, it just sounds a lot nicer to my ears. The UK also has cooler accents than the US.

Of course in long RPGs I'm often totally fine with there not being voices at all since reading is always faster.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If you hit the select button, a "help" menu comes out of the cursor that, indeed, tells you what the abilities do.

Booted it up on phone to check. When you are in the equip menu and you use help moogle it tells you the description of the item but it won't, or at least i can't find a way to do so, have it tell you what the ability on the item does. To do that you have to switch to the ability equip menu. I last played IX on psx at release so if it worked differently there feel free to correct me but on mobile it struck me immediately as an odd oversight and annoyance.

Not game breaking or something, just a minor odd thing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i bought ff13 today because i havent tried to play it in like five years so gently caress it

i als boght metalger rising and thiaf

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

Booted it up on phone to check. When you are in the equip menu and you use help moogle it tells you the description of the item but it won't, or at least i can't find a way to do so, have it tell you what the ability on the item does. To do that you have to switch to the ability equip menu. I last played IX on psx at release so if it worked differently there feel free to correct me but on mobile it struck me immediately as an odd oversight and annoyance.

Not game breaking or something, just a minor odd thing.

Huh, I suppose that is how it works. It never bothered me 'cause I basically always went to readjust my abilities after changing equipment anyway, so it felt natural to just check the ability descriptions there. In fact, I kind of liked that; I'd see a weapon in a store with an ability I didn't recognize and so I bought it just so I could check the ability description.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'm neurotic and refuse to unequip something until I've learned every ability on it so I never even noticed.

A tiny blemish in the least-worst final fantasy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The reason I noticed it is mostly because if I have multiple items for a slot, I'd like to know which skill is worth learning now versus putting it off. It's not major but the menu could be improved.

Menus not telling you what abilities do is a bit of a common issue and FFXIII-2 is especially annoying about it as the button that says it will explain abilities only explains equipment abilities but not job ones. To see job ones you have to swap to a separate page in the crystarium and go down a list of all abilities across jobs, something which FF13 already did better. Then it still provides you with useless descriptions for some abilities like "boosts rav bonus" with no way to identify what that means in concrete terms or what a rav bonus is without going into a separate menu entirely.

FF13-2 is also just not very good in general and every change to the battle system except removing the paradigm shift cutscene was a bad one.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I've been playing Theatrhythm: Curtain Call again and I'm pretty sure it is the best Final Fantasy.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Barudak posted:

FF13-2 is also just not very good in general and every change to the battle system except removing the paradigm shift cutscene was a bad one.

Including no party wipe when your Party leader dies?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
The worst part of IX's menus is that the shop menus dont tell you what abilities come with the weapons/armor/accessories that you are trying to buy.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Doc Morbid posted:

I've been playing Theatrhythm: Curtain Call again and I'm pretty sure it is the best Final Fantasy.

It's definitely up there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ventana posted:

Including no party wipe when your Party leader dies?

Hah you caught me. Two good changes.

God the crystarium changes alone are mediocre on paper and just even worse in execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

moms confirmed tough