Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

FINALLY! THE TANNED ONE HAS. COME. BACK. TO TWICKENHAM!

Gavin Henson's been called up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Christ, I forgot about that gently caress up. Nah, he's still stuck in the 2nd division.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35774334

Eddie Jones is a big big baby.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Meanwhile in League the NRL decided they hate scrums so much that now there's a 30-second scrum clock - they have to engage within that time or else the team in possession gets penalized.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Blatant attempt at softening up the referee into agreeing with them. Might turn into the referee ignoring all the "suggestions" from both sides instead, which would be more amusing.

Or was that the plan all along :tinfoil:

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Apollodorus posted:

Meanwhile in League the NRL decided they hate scrums so much that now there's a 30-second scrum clock - they have to engage within that time or else the team in possession gets penalized.

Good idea. I know safety is the first concern but do professional Test level front rows really need over 30 seconds to get into position to scrummage? I mean they've went through the motions thousands of times just hurry the gently caress up and maybe people will stop thinking the scrum should be removed entirely.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Anything to stop the refs looking at how poo poo Marler is at scrummaging.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
He went in at an angle a couple of times against Scotland - I'm never sure how he gets away with it at that level. I guess it's what makes him a Test-Level player.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

fallingdownjoe posted:

He went in at an angle a couple of times against Scotland - I'm never sure how he gets away with it at that level. I guess it's what makes him a Test-Level player.

Same reason McCaw spent his entire career offside, hes really good at getting away with it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Same reason McCaw spent his entire career offside, hes really good at getting away with it.

Oh piss off. McCaw was amazing at pushing the boundaries and didn't do any more than any good openside should. In more recent years, half the bitching seems to be him being "offside," when more often than not, he was the cunting tackler to begin with - case in point the Ireland test in 2010 where Jamie Heaslip became a dumbshit and got himself sent off like an idiot.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Oh piss off. McCaw was amazing at pushing the boundaries and didn't do any more than any good openside should. In more recent years, half the bitching seems to be him being "offside," when more often than not, he was the cunting tackler to begin with - case in point the Ireland test in 2010 where Jamie Heaslip became a dumbshit and got himself sent off like an idiot.

Uhhh it was a joke more than anything else....but ok

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
What made Richie McCaw decide to take up helicopter piloting in his retirement?

You enter a helicopter from the side.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

Uhhh it was a joke more than anything else....but ok

The kiwis are really sensitive when it comes to Sir, you big bully.

Also 30 second scrums in league are all about the reduction of interchanges and making sure they don't use the scrum as a chance for taking a breather.

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

CyberPingu posted:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ball's already being played by the halfback. Duh.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You all leave poor Richie alone.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

fallingdownjoe posted:

He got seriously found out at the RWC, unsurprisingly England's scrum became less of a weapon when refs were heavily scrutinised and made to watch for illegalities in the scrum.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

Vagabundo posted:

to quote our dear football subforum, nice meltdown

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

He got seriously found out at the RWC, unsurprisingly England's scrum became less of a weapon when refs were heavily scrutinised and made to watch for illegalities in the scrum.

As I said during the RWC, #scrumstraightjoe worked. It took years for Wyatt Crockett to rebuild his reputation after Dickinson hosed him over in 2009, so I'm surprised Marler's technique is apparently kosher again all of a sudden.

Swan Curry posted:

to quote our dear football subforum, nice meltdown

It's tiresome when people complain about him playing within the boundaries of the rules.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Nah, I agree with the other posters (and I'm a Kiwi myself).

Often the only difference between "pushing the boundaries" and cheating is whether or not you get caught. Richie was really good at doing that and I think it's hilarious how so many Kiwis get super, super defensive about him.

To be fair, as others have said that kind of thing is an essential skill for any kind of high level sport.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

As I said during the RWC, #scrumstraightjoe worked. It took years for Wyatt Crockett to rebuild his reputation after Dickinson hosed him over in 2009, so I'm surprised Marler's technique is apparently kosher again all of a sudden.

Yeah, the fact that Eddie is making a big song and dance about the Welsh scrum is telling in that he doesn't seem to have much faith in at least one of his props and my money would be on Marler as he's not been great in the 6N. #scrumstraightjoe has also returned to haunt him again this week.

Vagabundo posted:

It's tiresome when people complain about him playing within the boundaries of the rules.

Richie's superpower was to always know the boundaries that he could get away with, on top of being an incredible player, so like all great opensides he cheated like a motherfucker sometimes and others not but seemed to always know how far to push it. Great to see, frustrating when it happens against you but having a wee jab at Kiwis about it is always fun, even if it's meant in jest because you bastards had arguably the greatest player of all time on your side for 14 years ;).

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Great loose heads bore when they can get away with it and mix it in with a bit of pulling and good old fashioned straight on grunt work, Joe Marler tends to bore more often than not and hasn't shown much outside of that.

Vunipola has the straight ahead strength that allows him to get a drive forward when he's pushing straight and legal, he just hasn't got the dark arts side of things nailed down yet but when he does Marler can eff right off.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

gently caress. The French look like they might be taking Scotland seriously and remembered to start all of their good players.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Bit of discontent in Ireland over Joe's team, with nothing to play for I'd love to see Dillane, McCloskey, Marmion, Furlong etc get a chance but apparently Schmidt hasn't seen enough of Donnacha Ryan, Mike Ross and everybody else that's been starting for his whole tenure.

Back to back championships were always going to be hard to follow but considering we saw the limitations of the current squad at the RWC and in this 6N campaign it would've been nice to see if the youngsters in the squad could make the leap.

Also he can go and gently caress for not even trying Payne at 15, I'm not enjoying smug Loser Joe as much as I did smug Winner Joe.

E: IRELAND: S Zebo; A Trimble, J Payne, R Henshaw, K Earls; J Sexton, C Murray; J McGrath, R Best, M Ross; D Ryan, D Toner; CJ Stander, J van der Flier, J Heaslip.

Replacements: S Cronin, C Healy, N White, U Dillane, R Ruddock, K Marmion, I Madigan, F McFadden.

MyChemicalImbalance fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 11, 2016

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Vaders Jester posted:

Yeah, the fact that Eddie is making a big song and dance about the Welsh scrum is telling in that he doesn't seem to have much faith in at least one of his props and my money would be on Marler as he's not been great in the 6N. #scrumstraightjoe has also returned to haunt him again this week.

Richie's superpower was to always know the boundaries that he could get away with, on top of being an incredible player, so like all great opensides he cheated like a motherfucker sometimes and others not but seemed to always know how far to push it. Great to see, frustrating when it happens against you but having a wee jab at Kiwis about it is always fun, even if it's meant in jest because you bastards had arguably the greatest player of all time on your side for 14 years ;).

As an England fan, I always have a quiet chuckle when someone has a pop at McCaw. Neil Back won us a World Cup with relentless, sustained, invisible cheating. We have no leg to stand on, it's just that none of our current crop can do it for poo poo.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

tarbrush posted:

As an England fan, I always have a quiet chuckle when someone has a pop at McCaw. Neil Back won us a World Cup with relentless, sustained, invisible cheating. We have no leg to stand on, it's just that none of our current crop can do it for poo poo.

Let us not forget the greatest piece of cheating in rugby history.

First the scene: Munster vs Leicester in the final of the 2002 Heineken Cup. Heading into the final minutes Leicester are ahead by six, Munster have a put in to a scrum five metres from the Leicester line.

Then this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAfepsoVPtQ

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Also won some Heine's for Leicester

https://youtu.be/mQlJ8K7XjQc

Masterclass

E: beaten

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Since we have Ref-cam, my one wish for the future of rugby technology is that they develop a camera which can show us, the normal viewer, what a game of rugby actually looks like, in the mind of Austin Healey.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Tyma posted:

Since we have Ref-cam, my one wish for the future of rugby technology is that they develop a camera which can show us, the normal viewer, what a game of rugby actually looks like, in the mind of Austin Healey.

I don't think the world is ready for exposure to that kind of misguided egotism.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

I'd imagine there'd be a single spotlight involved.

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?
It would be very loud, with a singular voice being heard constantly throughout.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I don't think I'll ever regret waking up early to watch SUNWOLVES. :neckbeard:

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Met healey on the piss in the Loughborough student union. What a prick he is off the field too!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tyma posted:

I don't think I'll ever regret waking up early to watch SUNWOLVES. :neckbeard:

Is there a good place to stream Jagueres games from?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Italy looking bad.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Don't know what the Italian defence was doing there, but somehow an end to end move ended with Heaslip walking over the line for an almost apologetic try.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

fallingdownjoe posted:

Don't know what the Italian defence was doing there, but somehow an end to end move ended with Heaslip walking over the line for an almost apologetic try.

Yeah so this again.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Italy looking very bad

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They look like they've been told they aren't getting paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Prediction: England are going to England this, but Wales will help.