Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Radish posted:

For me it was when Mitt decided to protest in favor of sending people to Vietnam while he had a vacation in France.

That was no vacation vacation.
That was Mormon 'No I am not hiding from the draft as I am spreading the word' Missionary work.
And spreading the word of Joesph Smith just took a lot around the beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's not even close, and this is before the Democrats have touched him yet.

Any idea if the Republican establishment might try to focus on "reforming" (read: ratfucking) the primary system after this election to avoid having candidates being pulled to the extreme Right and then losing the general election as is being seen now?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Any idea if the Republican establishment might try to focus on "reforming" (read: ratfucking) the primary system after this election to avoid having candidates being pulled to the extreme Right and then losing the general election as is being seen now?

Haha, hell yeah they are.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
They're gonna adopt a Democratic Party-style superdelegates system for sure.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

They reformed the primary this time to make sure that the establishment guy can stop loving around with the terminal second-placers in a response to Romney taking so long to get out of that poo poo last time. They've created a system that cannot be fully idiot-proof.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Slate Action posted:

They're gonna adopt a Democratic Party-style superdelegates system for sure.

This, and I'd be pretty shocked if they didn't start spending money to try to crush non-establishment Senate/House/important state government candidates in their respective primaries or otherwise try to use top-down control to start strangling Tea Party legitimacy.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
They've charged the Yosemite Sam who did the sucker punching at the Trump rally in Fayetteville NC.

http://www.wral.com/man-charged-with-assaulting-protesters-during-trump-rally-in-fayetteville/15513151/

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

pathetic little tramp posted:

They reformed the primary this time to make sure that the establishment guy can stop loving around with the terminal second-placers in a response to Romney taking so long to get out of that poo poo last time. They've created a system that cannot be fully idiot-proof.

I don't foresee any change in Republican strategy that doesn't involve something cheap, low-effort, or underhanded.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Tigntink posted:

I think the big problem is the Trump crowds are going to end up lynching some dude who doesn't do the hitler salute at some point.

Feedmegin is right by what I meant. Do not provoke the angry, prone to violence crowd. You also sit or stand near the exit or just don't do the pledge.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

fool_of_sound posted:

This, and I'd be pretty shocked if they didn't start spending money to try to crush non-establishment Senate/House/important state government candidates in their respective primaries or otherwise try to use top-down control to start strangling Tea Party legitimacy.

Do you think that would work, or is it too late? Are there even enough old-style establishment republicans left to staff up an undertaking like that?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

They've charged the Yosemite Sam who did the sucker punching at the Trump rally in Fayetteville NC.

http://www.wral.com/man-charged-with-assaulting-protesters-during-trump-rally-in-fayetteville/15513151/

He was 78, imagine how long he's had to wait to finally get to punch a black person in the face.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

zoux posted:

He was 78, imagine how long he's had to wait to finally get to punch a black person in the face.

I guarantee it wasn't the first time.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

LeeMajors posted:

I guarantee it wasn't the first time.

First time he got charged likely.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

He was 78, imagine how long he's had to wait to finally get to punch a black person in the face again.

I'm sure he got a few in before that commie preacher ruined all the fun

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
People saying Trump's a lovely business man are loving part of the problem. Despite what people say he has made a shitload of money which to me indicates some sort of success.

Everyone saying that he's poo poo at things are part of the problem, in fact he:s probably a billionaire, has won the majority of states and is on track to win the nomination.

Saying he is a failure is kind of dumb and plays into a underdog mythos and outsider mythos he has now.

It's just Looney tunes ad hoc arguments.

People underestimate him vastly and think he's a joke which is part of the problem.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Hollismason posted:

People saying Trump's a lovely business man are loving part of the problem. Despite what people say he has made a shitload of money which to me indicates some sort of success.

He really hasn't.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

Unzip and Attack posted:

He really hasn't.

lol *flies away in private 747*

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Donald Trump is the classic American "from riches to riches" story we all hold dear.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hollismason posted:

Everyone saying that he's poo poo at things are part of the problem, in fact he:s probably a billionaire, has won the majority of states and is on track to win the nomination.

Saying he is a failure is kind of dumb and plays into a underdog mythos and outsider mythos he has now.

People underestimate him vastly and think he's a joke which is part of the problem.

Trump runs his businesses in a similar fashion to auto racing ventures.

How do you make a small fortune in auto racing?
Start with a large fortune

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

as halfway crooks posted:

It's a 757.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hollismason posted:

Pointing out he lies about how much money he's made isn't underestimating him. Sure, he has money, but it's like that old gag about how to make a million dollars in the movie business: Start with two million. He inherited a shitload and has spent his entire career running businesses into the ground, getting in debt up to his ears, breaking laws, screwing over business partners, and lying about anything he can think of.

The actual cash in his pocket comes almost entirely from his career as a celebrity - endorsements, the reality show - these are business transactions, sure, but they're business transactions someone else negotiated. His agents, his managers, his lawyers. Cultivating a marketable personality is a skill, but that's not the skill he's shaping his campaign around saying he has. We don't call Mario Lopez a businessman.

Phone posted:

Trump runs his businesses in a similar fashion to auto racing ventures.

How do you make a small fortune in auto racing?
Start with a large fortune

:hf: Joke buddies.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just an example of his lack of success. He only has a puny narrow body single deck twin engined 757!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

It's you, you're the goober who is impressed by yooge marketing stunts and voluminous golden hair.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

Except he is a lovely businessman. He's a great PR person, which is how he makes most of his money, but he's run most of his actual businesses into the ground within months or eve a year of opening.

He has money because he knows how to play the game, the guy makes moneys off his bankruptcies. And again, as has been pointed out, he actually hasn't made all that much money from what he does. Trump makes money from being at the top of the a pyramid scam, and since he's the 'Rich' guy, he's always at the top of the scam.

That really doesn't mean anything. I'm willing to bet that the aircraft is actually owned by a different company and they just put his name on it. Not unlike many of the buildings with Trumps name on it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 10, 2016

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
"Hmm now that is curious, it turns out you could make tenfold more money if you produce a flop of a campaign than with a hit..."

"Springtime for Hitler and Donald Trump... "

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Gravel Gravy posted:

"Hmm now that is curious, it turns out you could make tenfold more money if you produce a flop of a campaign than with a hit..."

Literally Ron Paul's reason for running for President.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gravel Gravy posted:

I think Carson already thought of that one.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I mean, he may be a net negative in his life on investments (doubt it) but he still has a shitload more money than 99+% of America and is able to run a winning national presidential election without big money backers and on the strength of his personality.

That's impressive and not indicative of a failure.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Unfortunately it unexpectedly became a smash hit on opening night.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Tigntink posted:

I think the big problem is the Trump crowds are going to end up lynching some dude who doesn't do the hitler salute at some point.
Not even a Hitler crowd did that..!?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Boon posted:

I mean, he may be a net negative in his life on money (doubt it) but he still has a shitload more money than 99+% of America and is able to run a winning national presidential election without big money backers.

Jesus christ. It's coming from inside the thread.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Boon posted:

I mean, he may be a net negative in his life on investments (doubt it) but he still has a shitload more money than 99+% of America and is able to run a winning national presidential election without big money backers and on the strength of his personality.

Do you need to go watch the John Oliver sketch again? Because I think you do.

Having money and being good at PR do not a good businessman make, if his multiple failures and massive amount of fraud claims mean anything. He's a good scam artist. That's about it.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
pretty sure trump has squandered away 2/3's of the billions he has inherited from his much more capable father. Stop drinking the kool-aid, people!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Not really. I agree that it's pretty stupid to point to Donald Trump as some kind of loser. It's lovely campaigning and is a value judgement because people define success differently - I'm frankly kind of impressed at how well Trump has a feel for marketing to crowds.

E: Can someone point me to how much Trump has lost and how much he inherited? He's had a string of failures but that doesn't really prove anything since most entrepreneurs will have a string of failures. Believe me, I understand that him losing more money than he has made, if true, is not indicative of a good businessman. I get that. It's insane to say that a billionaire who has been in the headlines for decades and by all accounts appears to have successful real estate holdings is not indicative of an utter failure, however.

Boon fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 10, 2016

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Boon posted:

Yeah, really impressive how he inherited daddy's money and kept losing it on stupid ideas.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Boon posted:

source your kkkuotes

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

He was a decent businessman very early in his career when he made a pretty good return on a few investments (because he was born to a multimillionaire father, he isn't self-made at all). In the early 80's his supposed business acumen led him into multiple disastrous business ventures, and it's been shown that had he simply taken his money in 1982 and stuck it in a mutual fund instead of being "a businessman" with it, he'd be orders of magnitude wealthier than he is today. The myth of Trump has some business mastermind is pure bullshit. Oh wow he flipped some real estate with a few million dollars his daddy gave him as a graduation gift and then wasted the next 30 years pissing all the dividends away? Yeah a real Bill Gates this one.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Boon posted:

Not really. I agree that it's pretty stupid to point to Donald Trump as some kind of loser. It's lovely campaigning and is a value judgement because people define success differently - I'm frankly kind of impressed at how well Trump has a feel for marketing to crowds.

"Great job scamming people out of millions with your Ponzi scheme, you're very successful, Mr. Madoff"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

An Angry Bug posted:

Yeah, really impressive how he inherited daddy's money and kept losing it on stupid ideas.

Well, that giant inheritance was after a bunch of gaudy buildings had his name on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, that giant inheritance was after a bunch of gaudy buildings had his name on it.

Too bad they are not even his buildings. Most of the buildings he wanted to put his name on and build himself ended up never going beyond maybe a hole in the ground and ruining property values for everyone around it.

• Locked thread