Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"The party is over." :smugbert:
Stephen Harper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Acer Pilot posted:

I'm pretty sure they just have a list of VPN IPs that they just ban now. I feel that some carriers just voluntarily provide a list so that they don't get sued. Mainly because one was seemingly entirely blocked in a day or two.

I'm sure they do that but there's more to the latest round of problems than just simple IP bans. I setup my own netflix DNS proxy on a server at work to test and got a proxy block message on it.

In any case I found a provider who managed a workaround from the new checking and I'm back to enjoying Netflix again. Its crazy how empty my "Continue Watching" was without all of the US content.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

I was cautiously optimistic this was just a passing thing for Netflix to pacify studios, but it does look like they're keeping this going.

Still works with adfreetime for me and paypal auto payments are still working too.

Adfreetime just stopped working for me, throwing the unblocker error. RIP

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I have an american friend who let's me use his house as a jump box. :smug:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

37th Chamber posted:

Adfreetime just stopped working for me, throwing the unblocker error. RIP

Oh interesting, was watching right up until about 11PM last night. Will have to check later.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Oh interesting, was watching right up until about 11PM last night. Will have to check later.

Their support site claims only 30% of their users have been impacted so far (not sure how only some of them got hit), and they refuse to give an ETA, for obvious reasons.

Also check your settings, for my account they actually disabled the "change region" feature by themselves, so it was "working", but showing the Canadian library, as soon as I re-enabled it, I got unblocker errors.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 6, 2016

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
If you're on unblock-us it's worth contacting their support and being put on the newer DNS. They've been fighting the good fight and I've noticed things have mostly been working. When I get a proxy error it seems to resolve itself if I retry.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

37th Chamber posted:

If it's 2.4ghz I can almost promise you that is your speed issue right there.
This is a hell of a stretch, 2.4ghz wifi works fine for lots of people. Works fine for me including HD netflix and nice fast file transfers of big files. I'm even using a cheap modem/router combo my ISP provided. There are a million things that can go wrong with wifi, and poor wifi performance is generally some kind of interference or other environmental issue. 2.4 is more susceptible to various types of interference but it works just fine for many people. How well wifi works for somebody depends much more on their environment than what equipment they have, other than truly garbage equipment.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Col.Kiwi posted:

This is a hell of a stretch, 2.4ghz wifi works fine for lots of people. Works fine for me including HD netflix and nice fast file transfers of big files. I'm even using a cheap modem/router combo my ISP provided. There are a million things that can go wrong with wifi, and poor wifi performance is generally some kind of interference or other environmental issue. 2.4 is more susceptible to various types of interference but it works just fine for many people. How well wifi works for somebody depends much more on their environment than what equipment they have, other than truly garbage equipment.

2.4Ghz is fine if you have good kit and don't live in an apartment/condo/townhouses, otherwise good luck getting a channel that isn't completely congested or filled with every day noise.

8ender posted:

If you're on unblock-us it's worth contacting their support and being put on the newer DNS. They've been fighting the good fight and I've noticed things have mostly been working. When I get a proxy error it seems to resolve itself if I retry.

They do seem to have good support, but I'm just giving up on it for now, having to dick with iptable/dnsmasq rules every time I want to watch something isn't my idea of fun.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 6, 2016

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

37th Chamber posted:

2.4Ghz is fine if you have good kit and don't live in an apartment/condo/townhouses, otherwise good luck getting a channel that isn't completely congested or filled with every day noise.
I do live in an apartment complex, but in a suburb not in a super dense urban area. My HTPC can see 9 peoples wireless SSIDs including my own, so not that many compared to some peoples environments. My equipment is pretty modest. I have an ISP provided modem + router combo and I'm using the built in wifi in a cheap mini desktop (asus vivopc). As I said netflix in HD works great for me and local file transfers are nice and fast. There is only about 30 feet between my router and HTPC, and the two walls in between are just drywall. So yeah, it depends on the environment. My environment is quite typical though for a lot of people who live in suburban areas which is why many people use 2.4ghz equipment without problems. Don't get me wrong, 5ghz has advantages and if you can get dual band equipment for a modest price increase it is worth it. But a lot of people are doing just fine on 2.4.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Adfreetime is still working for me

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
A letter came in the mail...

Novus gigabit fiber is now available in my building! :swoon:

Free for 12 months it says. TELUS gave us all 12 months free internet back in November so maybe they're trying to get in on that (eventual) money?

Whatever works for me. :toot:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Bell lackeys showed up at my door last night to talk about how new fiber optic lines were being run up my street. They went through their script about how much money I could save; asked if I was with Rogers, etc. They asked how I liked my internet service with Rogers, and I said it was, by and large, excellent. He got all fake-confused and was like, well, that's not what your neighbors have been telling me, they said it goes down a lot, etc., etc.

What complete and utter garbage. I find it pretty unlikely that I'm magically the only person on the street with good cable internet.

Then, what really ticked me off, even though I knew it was going to be exactly like this as soon as I opened the door. The in-charge dude was all oh I guess there's nothing we can do to get you to switch, then? And I said, no, I would absolutely switch to gigabit internet...what's the pricing going to be like?

And of course this is where he starts in with oh oh you're one of those wanting gigabit, eh? Well, this is really just going to the node...

So I just said, in that case, I'm not interested, and shut the door on them.

Seriously this poo poo is ridiculous, Bell. Please tell me how great it would be to drop my connection speed by a factor of six, and get a cap again, all while only saving like 30 bucks a month. Nutty.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I had a Telus rep come to my door and say the reason they can only offer 150Mb service on fiber right now is due to CRTC restrictions. I didn't really want to keep talking for a while so I didn't say anything but that was pretty funny.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I had door to door MTS guys come into my backyard while I was mowing my lawn to try and sell me on MTS. When I told them that my girlfriend works for Shaw and we are on the Employee Plan he tried to tell I would get better service and continued to try to sell me. Door to door guys are ruthless.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
You guys are way too polite, I just close my door on anyone who isn't a neighbor. There's literally nothing to be gained from wasting my time listening to some scripted robot or vulture energy reseller.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The Gunslinger posted:

You guys are way too polite, I just close my door on anyone who isn't a neighbor. There's literally nothing to be gained from wasting my time listening to some scripted robot or vulture energy reseller.

Look at Miss Manners here who opens his door to anyone wearing a lanyard or holding a clipboard.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I don't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I just shoot the person through my closed door. :getin:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

cowofwar posted:

I don't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone.

This, but my phone too.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Mister Macys posted:

This, but my phone too.

I cannot wait to get my 437 area code number. I'll never have to answer it ever since I won't give it to anyone and there will be no history collection agency delinquency that plagues every recycled 647 number I've ever been assigned.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mister Macys posted:

This, but my phone too.

I thought I was the only one.

Pain in the rear end that my doctor's office throws an unknown number, but it's the only one that does.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Bieeardo posted:

I thought I was the only one.

Pain in the rear end that my doctor's office throws an unknown number, but it's the only one that does.

Add them to your contacts list if you can find it out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The Gunslinger posted:

:downs:Hi! I'm from the gas company and I want to make sure you are getting the best deal you can! Can I see your gas bill?

:colbert:No. I'm not interested.

:downs: You don't want to show me your gas bill? I"m with the gas company!

:colbert: If you are my gas company, why do you need to see a bill that you already gave me?

:downs: Well, uh, I just want to make sure you ar..

:colbert: SLAM

Literally had that exact conversation 3 times in the past 2 years. They shouldn't even allow door to door soliciting for energy companies it's so rife with scams.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I had one of those energy guys years ago who I actually invite inside for a minute because it was the middle of a Winnipeg winter and he would not leave. It got to the point where he was dialing the number to sign me up for a 5 year natual gas contract and I was just saying "no no no" over and over. It was a huge scam too, this is the first year that Manitoba Hydro raised rates since and it's still cheaper than what they offered me.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Door to door soliciting is quite illegal on military bases. I can neither confirm nor deny that towing these people's working cars away makes anyone feel a sense of contentment. Certainly never something I've felt after not doing ever, nope.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I got one of those guys back in... poo poo, '98 or '99, when I was living with friends for a year, and they had just deregulated utilities in Ontario. Fortunately for us, the guy we talked to either had a change of heart or realized he was getting paid poo poo for badgering people door to door, because our gas bill never changed.

When they show up at my current digs, I just shake my head and tell them the truth: I rent the place, the utilities are included, and no, I can't give them the landlords' out of town number. Then I pop onto Facebook and let friends know that yep, it's that time of year again, and to keep a sharp eye out on behalf of gullible or easily confused loved ones.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Oh man. Not that I would buy anything from a door to door salesperson, but holy gently caress for the love of god never ever ever show them a bill or anything with an account number & address on it.

Most of the sales people out there are contractors working on commission and give no fucks about the retailer they're hired for, just their take home pay.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this is something that ever happens in Quebec. I think our consumer protection laws help though. I've never been solicited by door-to-door resellers for anything.

But then again, you have Hydro Quebec, which is the only electricity wholesaler here, and I've never lived in a place that offers gas, so I don't know.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's only in deregulated provinces.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Migishu posted:

I don't know if this is something that ever happens in Quebec. I think our consumer protection laws help though. I've never been solicited by door-to-door resellers for anything.

But then again, you have Hydro Quebec, which is the only electricity wholesaler here, and I've never lived in a place that offers gas, so I don't know.

Can't do door-to-door in Quebec for energy at least, its limited to commercial only. The utility also has an absolutely archaic manual process that makes the commercial process a nightmare to do as well (faxes... email not allowed). The door to door energy sales guys are all paid straight commission, no salary, and for everything they sign maybe 50% of them end up being approved with a commission paid. 20 door knocked, 1 signed paper is the standard sign up rate.
Source: I worked for an energy company for 10 years.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I left Quebec in 2008 and don't remember ever seeing a door to door scam artist but in Ontario we've had electricity, water heater, gas and meat scammers all come to our door and all misrepresenting themselves.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I am unfamiliar with this meat scam.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

These guys: http://www.kshb.com/money/consumer/door-to-door-meat-salesmen-swindling-people-in-kc-metro-bbb-says

The usual thing, we've got high quality frozen meat, it's cheap because we have too much/sell direct/own the farm whatever, we'll knock down the price a few times just for you.

My friend bought into the fridge full of frozen meat gig, which was legitimately a good deal because he bbqs a lot and it was very tasty.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 10, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

This is certainly starting get it off the internet topic but the whole door to door meat thing is shady as hell. Sure, it's possible you could be buying direct from a rancher/farmer/butcher/generic good guy cutting out the middle man, but it's also entirely possible (and I would say likely) it's more nefarious. I deal a fair amount with the food industry and there are often stories of significant portions of meat shipments which are either simply missing (stolen), OR, more troublingly, destined to be destroyed due to contamination concerns from CFIA/QC which goes "missing" instead of to landfill or rendering facility.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 10, 2016

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i just thought "meat" scam was a typo
door-to-door meat salesman is really weird and i cant imagine anyone under 80 falling for that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kly posted:

i just thought "meat" scam was a typo
door-to-door meat salesman is really weird and i cant imagine anyone under 80 falling for that.

It's a really hard, intimidating sale. People can and do get worn down by salesmen so insistent you basically have to call the cops to get them to leave.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Twerk from Home posted:

It's a really hard, intimidating sale. People can and do get worn down by salesmen so insistent you basically have to call the cops to get them to leave.

The wife had one of these show up. She started sharpening the knives and smiling at him.
He left.
I love my wife :)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Siochain posted:

The wife had one of these show up. She started sharpening the knives and smiling at him.
He left.
I love my wife :)

STDH.txt

Who the hell would fall for some meat scam. Newsflash, people LOVE meat. No farmer or butcher ever had to go door to door because not enough people were buying their meat. They were probably selling carved up chinese prisoners, the leftovers they didn't sell to those Bodyworks exhibits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

STDH.txt

No farmer or butcher ever had to go door to door because not enough people were buying their meat.

Even emu ranchers? :v: