Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Pre-emptively posting a :smug: to show that I don't believe Majorian's answer will be intellectually honest and in fact will sound as dumb as my claim that white nationalism doesn't exist because #notallwhites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

EngineerSean posted:

Majorian please answer with intellectual honesty and using standard D&D rules why islamofascism isn't real but white nationalism is. I mean if you're going to shitpost in here all day you might as well entertain me a little bit. I've got a full day of work to do but I guess I'll try to check back in four hours or so.

"Islamofascism" is an insult, not a useful analytical category. The word accomplishes nothing that isn't better described under the term "Islamist". If all you want to do is point out that radical Islamists like the Taliban are as creepy and evil as facists then fine, most normal people won't get super pedantic and argue with you because both Islamists and fascists are bad.

"White nationalist" is an actual phrase with a meaning. It's used by both academics who study right wing groups and it's used by those groups to identify themselves. It's not a label being imposed on people, it's a designation they voluntarily select for themselves to indicate that they see an integral link between nationality and race. Here's an example of a white nationalist explaining the meaning of the term.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Helsing posted:

The word accomplishes nothing that isn't better described under the term "Islamist".

Yeah I'll agree with this one but that's not really a point against "islamofascism isn't real"

quote:

If all you want to do is point out that radical Islamists like the Taliban are as creepy and evil as facists then fine, most normal people won't get super pedantic and argue with you because both Islamists and fascists are bad.

My understanding of the definition of fascism isn't "creepy and evil", it's a mentality within a state that it's my way or the highway and also mixed with an inclination toward violence to solve the state's problems. "Islam" isn't a state (yet) but I think it still fits pretty well.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
So this old guy punched a black guy walking out of the NC trump rally and security jumped onto the black guy and left the punching dude completely alone

How normal is this stuff yet? like, this is just new normal?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I just clicked out the white nationalist link and it was pretty crazy :wtc: Then I went to storm front and read a few posts there. Wow, all you have to do is post pictures of random white families and everyone is all happy

White Nationalists are so hosed up.

Jacobin posted:

So this old guy punched a black guy walking out of the NC trump rally and security jumped onto the black guy and left the punching dude completely alone

Do you have a video?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

"Fascist" has gotten so much definitional creep over the last half century that it's pretty much used to refer to any autocratic system of government. Trump has fascist qualities, not because he's a big loud buffoon but because he wants to institute economic protectionism and intervene heavily in the economy, is seizing on populist nationalism, and is using the language of national decline and victimhood to motivate revanchists. Like, I doubt he's read Maurras and he certainly doesn't seem to want a dictatorship, but there are elements of fascism there. Still, he's not "a fascist."

The governments often referred to as "Islamofascist" often use many of the same tools by appealing to disaffected youth who feel humiliated at the hands of the West. They also obviously share fascists' love of direct action/propaganda of the deed and believe in the legitimacy of political violence. However the governments known as "Islamofascist" also have some pretty distinct differences from fascism, such as their substitution of sharia as the organizing principle and telos of the state rather than nationalism or the will of a strongman.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

caberham posted:

I just clicked out the white nationalist link and it was pretty crazy :wtc: Then I went to storm front and read a few posts there. Wow, all you have to do is post pictures of random white families and everyone is all happy

White Nationalists are so hosed up.

Do you have a video?

https://www.facebook.com/OccupyDemocrats/videos/1084955338264186/?permPage=1

Wish there was a less baiting link but yeah still

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

If only that black dude wasn't there then then the old man wouldn't punch him! That poor white guy :staredog:

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Jacobin posted:

if trump wins hate groups will be energized and we will live in a pseudo state sponsored violence state so yes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Homicidal leftists! YUM

I obviously didn't actually mean it, you silly-billy.;)

EngineerSean posted:

Majorian please answer with intellectual honesty and using standard D&D rules why islamofascism isn't real but white nationalism is. I mean if you're going to shitpost in here all day you might as well entertain me a little bit. I've got a full day of work to do but I guess I'll try to check back in four hours or so.

Helsing beat me to a good part of it, but what I'd emphasize is that the type of groups that the Right has labeled "Islamofascist" really don't fit the label "fascist" in a meaningful sense. al Qaeda and ISIS are authoritarian groups, and violently oppose anyone who doesn't hold their mindset, but that's kind of where the similarities end. Fascism, at its core, is a political philosophy that exists within a nation-state. It views that nation-state as being a physical manifestation of the will of the people, which is usually defined as the ethnic majority. Because of this, within fascism there really are no higher gods than the State itself. Islamist groups like those mentioned, on the other hand, have no nation-state to speak of. That's not to say that they don't sometimes rule states, as the Taliban did in Afghanistan, or the self-proclaimed Islamic State is attempting to do over parts of Iraq and Syria. But those aren't nation-states in the way that, for example, mid-19th to early-20th century Europeans would have recognized. There's no majority ethnic population, and very little sense of them actually living within "the nation of Afghanistan" or "the country of ISIS." In other words, there's no foundation for nationalism there. Plus, of course, the whole "no higher gods before the State" thing is kind of verboten to Muslims, even authoritarian ones.

Now, as for why white nationalism exists, that's a little bit easier to explain: for most of its history, the United States has been a majority-"white" nation. Now it's not so much anymore, and before long white people are going to be in the minority. A lot of white people feel kind of threatened by this, particularly poor whites, who perceive an influx of non-white people as a threat to their jobs, their culture, etc. - regardless of whether or not that's actually a realistic fear (I contend it isn't). Some (not all) of those white people who feel threatened by this want to essentially turn back the clock, to ensure that white people maintain their privileged status as the sociopolitically dominant demographic in the U.S. When someone says "American," they want the image at the forefront of people's mind to be a white person. They want their racial background to always be a "plus" in society, a chip in their pile.

Obviously, the problem with this is that a relative loss of white privilege isn't the actual source of their problems. The very nature of capitalism, combined with the increased mechanization of blue collar labor, is what causes them to lose their jobs. Deflecting the blame for their problems onto migrant workers, "welfare queens," etc., isn't really doing themselves any good.

EngineerSean posted:

Pre-emptively posting a :smug: to show that I don't believe Majorian's answer will be intellectually honest and in fact will sound as dumb as my claim that white nationalism doesn't exist because #notallwhites

Oh okay.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

"Fascist" has gotten so much definitional creep over the last half century that it's pretty much used to refer to any autocratic system of government. Trump has fascist qualities, not because he's a big loud buffoon but because he wants to institute economic protectionism and intervene heavily in the economy, is seizing on populist nationalism, and is using the language of national decline and victimhood to motivate revanchists. Like, I doubt he's read Maurras and he certainly doesn't seem to want a dictatorship, but there are elements of fascism there. Still, he's not "a fascist."

Yeah, at this point he doesn't seem to want to reorganize the institutions of the U.S. government dramatically enough to be a proper "fascist."

e:

Jacobin posted:

I know it's HuffPo, but they've kept a running list of, shall we say, "troubling" things that have happened at Trump events.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 18:14 on Mar 10, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

stoutfish posted:

if trump wins hate groups will be energized and we will live in a pseudo state sponsored violence state so yes.

Grow up.

This is interesting

U.S. hedge fund managers pour money into 2016 race and Trump is a factor

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-hedgefunds-idUSKCN0WC19G

quote:

Major U.S. hedge fund managers are on pace this year to more than double the amount they gave in the 2012 election campaign, with independent fundraising groups backing Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton and Republican rival Ted Cruz receiving the most so far.

About $47 million has been lavished on presidential candidates and lawmakers and the political action committees that support them by two dozen of the industry's top managers in the first 13 months of this election season, according to a Reuters review of Federal Election Commission filings. (For a list of the top givers see tmsnrt.rs/1nlPYZv)

Most of the hedge fund support going to Cruz and Clinton has come from a handful of people out of the two dozen managers studied.

Robert Mercer, co-chief executive of Renaissance Technologies, for example, has given $11 million to Keep the Promise I, a Super PAC that supports Cruz. Mercer is an enigmatic computer programmer who is a powerful financial force in conservative politics.

Cruz wants to abolish the tax-collecting Internal Revenue Service, slash income and payroll taxes and impose a new "business transfer tax." Cruz's wife, Heidi Cruz, is a Goldman Sachs executive in Houston.

Clinton’s main benefactor is billionaire George Soros, a long-time patron of Democratic and humanitarian causes and chairman of Soros Fund Management. Soros alone is responsible for $7.3 million of the $11.7 million that has gone to Super PACs and other committees supporting Clinton.

The hedge fund managers' spokespersons either declined to comment or did not respond to queries from Reuters.

But Whitney Tilson, a hedge fund manager who runs Kase Capital, said one reason fellow managers are spending more this election is Donald Trump, the front-runner for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination.

"There are some pretty heated emotions about Donald Trump," said Tilson, who plans to support the Democratic Party nominee.

Trump, who says he is self-funding his campaign, supports closing a loophole that lets some hedge fund managers pay less than the usual income tax rate on performance fees they get known as "carried interest." Clinton supports this, too.

The Managed Funds Association, an industry lobbying group, declined to comment on policy aims under the next president.

BIG MONEY, LITTLE IMPACT

There are other worries, too, about a Trump presidency.After months of campaigning and debates, Trump's economic and financial policy positions are still sketchy or unknown.

A Trump presidency could bring "tremendous uncertainty and instability," said Gregory Wawro, a political science professor at Columbia University.

Wawro speculated that Trump’s popularity with blue-collar and middle-class voters could prompt the Republican Party to reassess an approach to taxes and economic issues that has favored top earners and major corporations in recent years.

The surge of hedge fund donations has had little effect on the Republican race so far.

Cruz is running well behind Trump while U.S. Senator Marco Rubio of Florida, who is seen by establishment Republicans as their best hope to stop Trump winning the nomination, is a distant third.

Conservative Solutions, a Super PAC that backs Rubio, received $2.5 million from Paul Singer, the long-time Republican fundraiser who runs Elliott Management, and another $2.6 million in contributions from hedge fund manager Kenneth Griffin of Citadel Investment Group.

Two other Republican candidates with major hedge fund backing, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, have dropped out of the race.

Christie's Super PAC, America Leads, received about $3 million from Steve Cohen of Point72 Asset Management, while Right to Rise, a PAC that supports Bush, drew $450,000 in donations from managers including Citadel's Griffin, David Tepper of Appaloosa Management and Larry Robbins of Glenview Capital Management.

In the Democratic race, U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders has eschewed donations from Wall Street. He has racked up a string of wins in early state nominating contests with attacks on Wall Street and calls for a more equitable distribution of the country's wealth.

Overall, hedge fund contributions to 2016 presidential candidates and lawmakers and the PACs supporting them favored Republicans over Democrats by about 3 to 2.

For a list of the top hedge fund donors in 2016: tmsnrt.rs/1nlPYZv

(Additional reporting by Svea Herbst-Bayliss; Editing by Kevin Drawbaugh and Ross Colvin)

------------

In terms of Trump and the primary. I'm hearing speculation on podcasts that Kasich/Rubio are being funded to stay throughout the race because if the Donald (or any candidate really) can't reach the threshold of delegates needed for nomination (1,237 iirc) then all delegates at the Republican National convention will be released from their oaths and free to vote for anyone. For example a compromise candidate like Kasich or Mitt Romney, or at least that is their hope. So the rumor goes anyway.

If that happens well it will be very interesting to see what the republican voters and Trump do. :shrug:

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Interesting stuff. Even without the proposed tax change hedge fund managers probably fear a Trump presidency as they make money predicting trends and he's such an unknown.

On the way to work I typically scroll through the satellite news channels and for a month now or longer it's pretty much a guarantee that they are talking about Trump. As much as they apparently hate him the media is advertising for him almost non stop.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Basically the patricians are freaking out because a member of their class has broken ranks and is now using the grievances of the plebians to try and secure power for himself. Hail Caesar! Heil Trump

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The governments often referred to as "Islamofascist" often use many of the same tools by appealing to disaffected youth who feel humiliated at the hands of the West. They also obviously share fascists' love of direct action/propaganda of the deed and believe in the legitimacy of political violence. However the governments known as "Islamofascist" also have some pretty distinct differences from fascism, such as their substitution of sharia as the organizing principle and telos of the state rather than nationalism or the will of a strongman.

If a country's national identity is defined largely by it's Moslem-ness, then at a certain point the semantics games people play become meaningless. Islamofacism is a very real threat to freedom and peace in the world.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

BigBoss posted:

If a country's national identity is defined largely by it's Moslem-ness, then at a certain point the semantics games people play become meaningless. Islamofacism is a very real threat to freedom and peace in the world.

:lol:

Islam is only a threat because America and its freakshow allies in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan insisted on giving this death cult aid and comfort for most of the Cold War. And then when Jimmy Carter gave a speech saying "you know we really should ween ourselves off our dependence on oil now that we aren't a net producer any more" the American public reacted by electing Ronnie Raygun and doubling down on middle east dependency. Even now, lol if you think American "allies" like Israel or Turkey actually want to get rid of ISIS rather than Assad.

It's fuckin pathetic watching a world empire tremble and flail because a bunch of masked Arab teenagers are driving around lovely technicals in Mesopotamia.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Trump.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

BigBoss posted:

they're not, though. ISIS doesn't really have a "national identity" as distinct from its stated telos of bringing about a prophesied global caliphate. The "nation" is a tool towards that end, not an end in itself. Saying that Islamism is just Fascism Classic with "our country" crossed out and "Islam" written in in crayon is stupid. It's something virulent and toxic that diverges pretty wildly with fascism, in that it's at least ostensibly universalist and doesn't believe in use of the "state," such as it is, to mediate class conflict (a pretty central concept to fascism). They're totalitarian but that's about it, calling them fascist is like calling Obama a Muslim atheist communist socialist nazi. It's just throwing vaguely related terms together for scare purposes.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

they're not, though.

I too believe Islamism is fictional.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Immortan posted:

I too believe Islamism is fictional.

That's not what he said.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
gently caress YOU MAGORIAN

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

kasich has been pretty tame, is he aiming for a cabinet spot or vp nom?

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Jacobin posted:

for a racist rally I guess that's normal? :shrug:

hard to believe these people exist though good god

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It's just throwing vaguely related terms together for scare purposes.

Leftists know all about this.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Immortan posted:

Leftists know all about this.

Yup

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I rescind my :smug: and I'll have a response later tonight.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

http://orwell.ru/library/articles/As_I_Please/english/efasc

George Orwell posted:

It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

Yet underneath all this mess there does lie a kind of buried meaning. To begin with, it is clear that there are very great differences, some of them easy to point out and not easy to explain away, between the régimes called Fascist and those called democratic. Secondly, if ‘Fascist’ means ‘in sympathy with Hitler’, some of the accusations I have listed above are obviously very much more justified than others. Thirdly, even the people who recklessly fling the word ‘Fascist’ in every direction attach at any rate an emotional significance to it. By ‘Fascism’ they mean, roughly speaking, something cruel, unscrupulous, arrogant, obscurantist, anti-liberal and anti-working-class. Except for the relatively small number of Fascist sympathizers, almost any English person would accept ‘bully’ as a synonym for ‘Fascist’. That is about as near to a definition as this much-abused word has come.

But Fascism is also a political and economic system. Why, then, cannot we have a clear and generally accepted definition of it? Alas! we shall not get one — not yet, anyway. To say why would take too long, but basically it is because it is impossible to define Fascism satisfactorily without making admissions which neither the Fascists themselves, nor the Conservatives, nor Socialists of any colour, are willing to make. All one can do for the moment is to use the word with a certain amount of circumspection and not, as is usually done, degrade it to the level of a swearword.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
trump

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
we have a better word than facist, authoritarian

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

stoutfish posted:

we have a better word than facist, authoritarian

authoritarian is to fascist as paranoiac is to conspiracy theorist e.g. a personality trait that predisposes someone towards a certain organized pattern of behavior

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

they're not, though. ISIS doesn't really have a "national identity" as distinct from its stated telos of bringing about a prophesied global caliphate. The "nation" is a tool towards that end, not an end in itself. Saying that Islamism is just Fascism Classic with "our country" crossed out and "Islam" written in in crayon is stupid. It's something virulent and toxic that diverges pretty wildly with fascism, in that it's at least ostensibly universalist and doesn't believe in use of the "state," such as it is, to mediate class conflict (a pretty central concept to fascism). They're totalitarian but that's about it, calling them fascist is like calling Obama a Muslim atheist communist socialist nazi. It's just throwing vaguely related terms together for scare purposes.

https://youtu.be/L-7v_6uGlWQ

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Well, but I don't think the Bush Administration and its supporters used the term "fascist" simply because it can be a byword for "bully." They used it because they were trying to paint al Qaeda as an existential threat to the U.S. that, without our immediate action, could achieve world domination, genocide, etc. In other words, they wanted to liken Islamist terrorist groups to the Axis Powers, turning the GWOT into a black-and-white, with-us-or-against-us model.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
John McGraw, the 78-year-old Donald Trump supporter caught attacking a protester, defended his actions in an interview posted by Inside Edition on Thursday.

“He deserved it,” McGraw said of the protester, Rakeem Jones. “The next time we see him, we might have to kill him. We don’t know who he is. He might be with a terrorist organization.”

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
What I hate about Trump and the Right is their hypocrisy, how they constantly attack women and use gendered insults vs. Hillary etc. He is going to lose the women's vote.

Now, how about Nancy "blowjobs" Reagan dying right? may she rest in piss. RIP in piss Mrs Gobblecocks!

Al! posted:

John McGraw, the 78-year-old Donald Trump supporter caught attacking a protester, defended his actions in an interview posted by Inside Edition on Thursday.

“He deserved it,” McGraw said of the protester, Rakeem Jones. “The next time we see him, we might have to kill him. We don’t know who he is. He might be with a terrorist organization.”

Agreed, no one in this country should do something like threatening to kill a political opponent

also rofl this exists:

http://stumptrump2016.com/

Thought Experiment:
If Donald Trump is assassinated, will your first thought be "Oh the horror, the type of extremist language lead to this act of political violence, it is against everything America stands for!" or will you be gleefully glad he is dead? Because you know it is the later, and you are just massive concern-trolling hypocrites.

I personally won't care, in the Game or Presidency you win or you die (usually politically, but we have a big list of assassinated presidents for a reason); Americans love assassinations, we have an entire multi-billion dollar drone program dedicated to it with thousands of confirmed kills, I just don't pretend to be concerned that we live in a hyper-violent society that regularly deals in state-sanctioned death.

Laphroaig has issued a correction as of 23:23 on Mar 10, 2016

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Majorian posted:

Well, but I don't think the Bush Administration and its supporters used the term "fascist" simply because it can be a byword for "bully." They used it because they were trying to paint al Qaeda as an existential threat to the U.S. that, without our immediate action, could achieve world domination, genocide, etc. In other words, they wanted to liken Islamist terrorist groups to the Axis Powers, turning the GWOT into a black-and-white, with-us-or-against-us model.

It's cute how you believe anyone uses the term "fascist" correctly in 2016 or even care about it.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Laphroaig posted:

Thought Experiment:
If Donald Trump is assassinated, will your first thought be "Oh the horror, the type of extremist language lead to this act of political violence, it is against everything America stands for!" or will you be gleefully glad he is dead? Because you know it is the later, and you are just massive concern-trolling hypocrites.

I personally won't care,

Oh look, another self-proclaimed "progressive" wishing death on political opponents.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Immortan posted:

Oh look, another self-proclaimed "progressive" wishing death on political opponents.

You are a giant loving idiot who is unable to either read or comprehend any level of nuance beyond TRUMP *click*, aren't you?

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Laphroaig posted:

You are a giant loving idiot who is unable to either read or comprehend any level of nuance beyond TRUMP *click*, aren't you?

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

I don't know what she's saying but I'm pretty sure it's NOT "Trump 2016" so I don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Laphroaig posted:

What I hate about Trump and the Right is their hypocrisy, how they constantly attack women and use gendered insults vs. Hillary etc. He is going to lose the women's vote.

Now, how about Nancy "blowjobs" Reagan dying right? may she rest in piss. RIP in piss Mrs Gobblecocks!

:obama:

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i'd say "typical liberal reading" of the tea party is just FEAR OF A BLACK PRESIDENT, which i've already said is incorrect. give me some credit, i'm not majorian. i know the tea party, i know its antecedents, and i actually work on a daily basis with several legislators who expressly identify as "tea party" and got in on that platform, so i'm not just some random hack with an opinion.

that said, the tea party arose in the 90s and gained steam as a ron-paul affiliated movement in the 2000s, but it's not a coincidence that it exploded in 2009. the tea party as it exists today is a graft cutting transplanted onto the root stock established by "outsider" candidates in the 90s and ginned up by a throughline that governance by democratic presidents was illegitimate. the idea that "tea" stands for "taxed enough already" is a transparent attempt to subsume an angry populist movement into the greater grover norquist-style quest to shrink government. when it suddenly started showing up everywhere on fox news, that's when you could tell the GOP had found something that could drive its base to the polls-- they just didn't figure on what they'd have to deliver to do so, which has birthed the abomination we see now. years of using wedge issues to get people to vote against their economic self-interest had deluded the GOP into believing that their base really, truly believed in the grover norquist poo poo that was all they really cared about.

i admit obama has been a bad president. i don't think he's been as bad as, say, bush II or reagan or carter, but he's been bad. i think that the degree to which people's lives have deteriorated during his tenure is largely due to structural factors that predated him and his true failure was his unwillingness to confront these factors and attempt to reverse them (things like ballooning college costs, an eviscerated social safety net, the death of the manufacturing economy with nothing to replace it, a global military presence far outside what's needed for defense etc). add to that his unwillingness to directly admit the degree to which these things are problems outside of the vaguest bromides and hand-waving and you have a picture of a party that appears to think that everything is fine in america, when the ladder to social mobility has been yanked up into the treehouse.

the reason i zero in on illegitimacy as a cause is because of the rise of talk radio as a major venue for conservative thought in the 80s and 90s and the creation of the parasitic "liberals-are-what's-wrong-with-america" book industry. these have created a mode of political discourse in right-wing circles where the ideological opponents of the right are motivated not by a genuinely different vision for how to achieve shared prosperity, but an actual hatred for america and its people and a desire to intentionally cause it to fail. this sentiment obviously stretches back much further but it came into the mainstream much more in the 90s; reagan painted carter as a well-meaning but weak doofus (which he was) and got in that way. compare that to all of the insane clintonite conspiracy theories of the 90s and the half-assed impeachment. the clintons were not just well-meaning but misguided dupes, they were criminal masterminds who had to be stopped. this stepped up with obama, partially due to race i'm sure but mostly just from the ratcheting effect. because the GOP never cared about delivering actual economic prosperity, in order to keep their voters motivated after years of lovely stagnation they had to make the other side even worse.

to sum up an increasingly long post, i think the tea party had its genesis in anger at a failed establishment, was nursed by demagogues intentionally stoking that anger for material gain, was appropriated wholesale as a way to drive a shrinking base to the polls by people who did not care to understand its origins, and has mutated into a vicious stew of populist anger, nativism, and xenophobia

Good post. I appreciate your points but I'm going to disagree with some things.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the tea party formed immediately after Obama got in. it's not entirely racist but racism is a prominent component. really the biggest factor is a rabid portion of the republican base constantly stirred up by demagogues and taught to see democratic governance of any color as inherently illegitimate

I disagree with this on theoretical grounds. I think voters (people) become driven to be initially politically active for primarily economic reasons rather than nationalist (race or government purity) reasons. Once you have an organized group of discontented low-middle class workers who are economically suffering then the newly emerged party elites can execute polices on a racist or nationalistic basis, but I disagree that such a party can arise primarily for reasons of racial antipathy*. Most people just want to work to make money and mind their own business.

*if you have a historical counter example with a clear uncoupling of racial and economic factors please post a link. I'm curious.

You forget that Obama assumed office when the losses of the 2007-8 economic crisis was starting to cascade down to workers. At this time some voters were being hit with the dual impacts of being fired and having their house being significantly worth less than they had paid.

This is what I would point to as the instigating event that motivated (republican) voters to seek an alternative to the GOP and turn to the Tea Party. Not because "oh a black president".

quote:

i think that the degree to which people's lives have deteriorated during his tenure is largely due to structural factors that predated him and his true failure was his unwillingness to confront these factors and attempt to reverse them (things like ballooning college costs, an eviscerated social safety net, the death of the manufacturing economy with nothing to replace it,

I agree that Obama walked into a shithole, specifically built on these points. Also I (without much data) eye the GOP business backers (as well as NAFTA [Bill Cinton] and other trade agreements) for impoverishing American workers to the benefit of businesses who go overseas for exploitative cheap labor.

But these corporate interests play both sides of the republican/democrat isle and this is why identity politics are so very dangerous. They obscure who the true manipulators are. But I digress.

I do blame Obama however for not directly addressing the above three existential issues (college costs, broken social security/safety net, loss of manufacturing jobs). Every other President is also to blame.

quote:

the reason i zero in on illegitimacy as a cause is because of the rise of talk radio as a major venue for conservative thought in the 80s and 90s and the creation of the parasitic "liberals-are-what's-wrong-with-america" book industry. these have created a mode of political discourse in right-wing circles where the ideological opponents of the right are motivated not by a genuinely different vision for how to achieve shared prosperity, but an actual hatred for america and its people and a desire to intentionally cause it to fail. this sentiment obviously stretches back much further but it came into the mainstream much more in the 90s; reagan painted carter as a well-meaning but weak doofus (which he was) and got in that way.

These people exists but they really don't represent the majority of conservative leaning voters (republican and democrats). They are just super nerdy politics wonks. Again while the average voter may listen to talk radio and such; no one acts or votes while they have a job or an opportunity.

• Locked thread