Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

They've been telegraphing the teacher so much that I hope it's not him. I think it would be more interesting if it was someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

dogsicle posted:

yeah, 44 is the last chapter. the 1988 Revival/preventing the abductions is the only "case" in the show though

Really? I think then it's fine and hopefully the ending won't be too far off.

Also, luckily I missed the spoiler so I'll be happy to see how it resolves later.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

VostokProgram posted:

They've been telegraphing the teacher so much that I hope it's not him. I think it would be more interesting if it was someone else.

Satoru's mother was on the suspect list, which would be an extremely interesting turn of events.

Did David Cage write this manga, by chance?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Kytrarewn posted:

Satoru's mother was on the suspect list, which would be an extremely interesting turn of events.

Did David Cage write this manga, by chance?

I'd hate that because she's awesome and the best character on the show but it could be really cool if done well. Of course this all started because she recognized the killer in the first episode so the chance of that is pretty much zero.

If it is the teacher I hope they do something strange, like maybe he's an accomplice or enabler instead of the actual killer.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Shakugan posted:

Well, you "quoting for posterity" a post that makes a direct claim when you've apparently read the material into the future is pretty committal about how things will go jackass.

How do some manga readers not understand that snickering at anime only watchers can spoil just as easily as outright stating what happens?

Except this isn't what I meant by that at all? I was quoting because I thought it was funny out of context, not because of anything to do with the show's story.

And now by doing so you are making implications that are more severe than what you are accusing me of. Bravo!

e: Also I explicitly talked about how I'm being careful about spoilers or even implications of spoilers so I don't understand why people suddenly got up in arms about my post and even got me probated.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 6, 2016

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

:salt:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Caught up with Erased and I was convinced that the teacher was the murderer but the latest episode makes it way too obvious in making him suspicious so I don't even have a loving clue anymore

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

lmao

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Shakugan posted:

Oh, my mistake haha. I thought you were posting on behalf of Viggynash doing the punching, since the quote was just before the gif.

your first mistake was assuming anyone would take the side of viggynash lmao

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Prediction: Satoru is going to save everyone and the revival will end, and he'll be back in his 29 year old body. He opens his eyes and he's in bed next to Hiromi.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Cephas posted:

Prediction: Satoru is going to save everyone and the revival will end, and he'll be back in his 29 year old body. He opens his eyes and he's in bed next to Hiromi.

Epilogue details him slowly coming to terms with the fact that he now lives in the result of a life he never experienced. Slips into deep depression unable to connect with the world around him, having changed too much. Ends with him silently falling in front of a subway train. Nominated for best screenplay, best supporting actor.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Reminder to not read the above post

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's too late...

IT'S TOO LATE

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

tbf it's a reasonable outcome if you excise the heavy depression and suicide. if his Revival succeeds he will be thrust into a life pretty different from before, having not actually experienced it. there would and should be some adjustment, even if it's only mentioned after the fact. but there's no way it would be framed as anything out of line with the show's positive tone wrt the cast, because Satoru woukd've grown up and made things better for his friends/family.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think satoru would just accept that he had gotten the winning hand with this future with hiromi, personally

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

dogsicle posted:

tbf it's a reasonable outcome if you excise the heavy depression and suicide. if his Revival succeeds he will be thrust into a life pretty different from before, having not actually experienced it. there would and should be some adjustment, even if it's only mentioned after the fact. but there's no way it would be framed as anything out of line with the show's positive tone wrt the cast, because Satoru woukd've grown up and made things better for his friends/family.

Ya probably. I would say to take my posts with a grain of salt, but people are already pretty salty about them.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dogsicle posted:

tbf it's a reasonable outcome if you excise the heavy depression and suicide.

there are many things that would be reasonable if you completely changed it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

there are many things that would be reasonable if you completely changed it

it's more like the general concept/starting point is sound, but it went in a lovely direction because that's his thing/sense of humor. given the bitchfest about his Chihayafuru livewatch posts, i figured we could at least talk about what was right/interesting about that post for once :shrug:

also let the record show i would support a Satoru/Hiromi end

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

ViggyNash posted:

Except this isn't what I meant by that at all? I was quoting because I thought it was funny out of context, not because of anything to do with the show's story.

And now by doing so you are making implications that are more severe than what you are accusing me of. Bravo!

e: Also I explicitly talked about how I'm being careful about spoilers or even implications of spoilers so I don't understand why people suddenly got up in arms about my post and even got me probated.
You quoted someone "For posterity" then started talking about how knowing what comes next you love seeing people speculate and guess. If it wasn't your intention to play coy like you knew what was going to happen, you picked the worst possible way to express whatever else it was you were trying to say.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

You quoted someone "For posterity" then started talking about how knowing what comes next you love seeing people speculate and guess. If it wasn't your intention to play coy like you knew what was going to happen, you picked the worst possible way to express whatever else it was you were trying to say.

kill him. bring the hammer of justice on his head.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
If it wasn't for the fact that I don't really think there's enough time for another journey to the future and back, I would've guessed that Satoru was going to be sent back to the future and wake up in jail, only for Kayo to visit.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Apparently I just don't understand how people think.

I guess I'll just not post unless someone posts a funny gif or something. Or until the end. Something like that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think it's Adachi

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I haven't read every spoiler tag in this thread so maybe this has come up already, but couldn't it be that Satoru is the killer? I don't really have a basis for this suggestion apart from "time shenanigans" though, and it doesn't seem like his power can create situations where there'd be more than one of him at a given time.

Alternatively, it is some secret organization that guides fate by whatever means, possibly tied to the red eye thing or maybe all three kids committed suicide or otherwise died because of abusive (Kayo) or uninvolved (Hiromi) family and feeling unloved and someone just killed Satoru's mom because she's the best mom and they're jealous.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

holy poo poo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Great episode. I can stop pretending that I haven't been reading the manga the whole time now.:allears:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What the gently caress just happened

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
*Gasp!* You mean the adult male killer is literally the only other adult male in the cast?! How shocking!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

yessss :unsmigghh:

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Stall_19 posted:

*Gasp!* You mean the adult male killer is literally the only other adult male in the cast?! How shocking!

That's really not the part that was surprising.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

"It's not like Sensei's candy, but I'm betting the killer is looking for a substitute..." Scene fades out of the lollipop directly into Satoru. loving masterful

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

jng2058 posted:

Also, I think we should consider that the killer likes to kill kids who are alone and isolated, and Satoru himself spends a lot of time alone and isolated while he's running from one potential target to another.

Called it

e: That said, I'm on the edge of my seat to see how this turns out. Is it next week yet? :f5:

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 10, 2016

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
drat this show really knows how to do cliffhangers. Aside from that, I found it kind of funny how after Satoru spent so much of the previous episode stressing about how Aya was a stranger he had no convenient way of meeting, she ended up being pretty much an afterthought. I wonder if that's something the manga handles a little better, since from what people have been saying these last 3 episodes are covering a lot of chapters.

Stall_19 posted:

Also the only character with any kind of evidence pointing to him. However, I'm pretty sure it's the aforementioned cliffhanger that people are reacting to.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Stall_19 posted:

That's the one bit of this upon which this could have been drastically improved.

All they would have had to do was introduce Yuuki-kun's father as a character, and given stepdad a bit more screen time, and maybe inserted another plausible adult male character. It has, thus far, been a thrilling, intriguing and logical mystery. That said, if you look back at the beginning, the reason that Satoru's life as a mangaka failed was that he really wasn't able to get into the trusting and growing mind of a child, gradually learning that adults are just as, if not more, flawed than the children they're supposed to be guiding. This could very well wind up being more about Satoru's growth than the murder mystery itself.

That said, the only mystery manga I've ever read has been Midnight Cross Method (recommended so far), so I might not have a good grasp of the way they work.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The manga does introduce Yuuki's dad, but Satoru's inner monologue dismisses him as a suspect in the same scene. So I dunno if you guys think that's better than having a lack of killer candidates.

I'll have to check the ep to see how the Aya stuff compares, though I will say the series has always seemed better when/more about addressing Satoru's emotional growth, rather than being a mystery.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I've been on the edge of my seat these past few weeks after bring spoiled that this would happen, but not knowing when. Kind of cathartic that it finally did.

Can't wait for next week.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I don't think the killer being the most obvious person detracts that much. For me, it was never about figuring it out myself, but seeing how Satoru would figure it out and his reaction to it. And that was great

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

What would be brilliant would be if the last two episodes were from Kayo's perspective...that the death of her first true friend gave her the same "hole in her heart" that Kayo's death originally gave Satoru. So now she develops the Revival powers and goes back in time to save him!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

El Burbo posted:

I don't think the killer being the most obvious person detracts that much. For me, it was never about figuring it out myself, but seeing how Satoru would figure it out and his reaction to it. And that was great

This is a very good point. Even though Satoru has a supernatural time power, he's still normal as a person. He's not a detective after all, just a guy who grows emotionally as he does his best to fix the past and it's fun to see how he deals when poo poo hits the fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
For reference, episode 10 covers manga chapters 28-31 out of 44. Two episodes left.

• Locked thread