Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Scruffpuff posted:

Are they really calling their documentary "The Making of Star Citizen"? That can't be right, because they're not making anything, nor will they. I suggest they call it: Waking Up From the Dream: How $150 Million Can't Overcome Staggering Ineptitude.

It reminds me of my last fake band, MegaDarth. We wrote a few terrible songs (Lucas Pukas, We Need More Mutants...), then skipped the whole get gud/famous/rich part and got straight to work on our
sellout 10yr reunion tour/album where we cut off all our hair and sung slow lovely rock ballads about our drummer that died when the van rolled and the indifference of the universe.

Star Citizen: The Spinal Tap of video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

G0RF posted:

BoredGamer gets profiled-- because he's actually creating the new gamer tutorials CIG has neglected to create (they're too busy working up Space Plant videos). SMART MOVE, CIG. (I really think they're taking their tips from us now...) Put this guy on the payroll, CIG-- he's doing your job for you.

Well at least they linked his patreon.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Thoatse posted:

It reminds me of my last fake band, MegaDarth. We wrote a few terrible songs (Lucas Pukas, We Need More Mutants...), then skipped the whole get gud/famous/rich part and got straight to work on our
sellout 10yr reunion tour/album where we cut off all our hair and sung slow lovely rock ballads about our drummer that died when the van rolled and the indifference of the universe.

Holy poo poo, that's it - that's what this fiasco has been reminding me of. From the bullshit coming from management, the horrible quality of its output, the insanity from the leaders. I can even picture them drawing new ships on napkins, getting them wrong, putting them in the game that way, and then having to deal with the fallout. It's perfect.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

orcinus posted:

You wanna hear the kicker?
Escape from Tarkov is using Unity.

:eyepop:
How the what the wow.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Tippis posted:

:eyepop:
How the what the wow.

Yeah I noticed the game view window icon in that video. Seriously impressive for Unity.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Thoatse posted:

Star Citizen: The Spinal Tap Stonehenge of video games

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Star Citizen: Sunk Cost Galaxy

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Scruffpuff posted:

They're promising 50 AI crewmates to staff your capital ships. Sophisticated AI in the present day? Sure. 900 years in the future? Not so much. Nothing about the Wing Commander IP is good. Chris, please take you and your autistic followers, grab a handful of 80286 machines, and drive off into the desert and build a little community so you can all circle-jerk about the 90s and leave the rest of us the gently caress alone, please. Seeing what this cult is trying to do to gaming is like watching thousands of cryogenically frozen people from the 1850's getting thawed out and starting to work full-time to revert everything back to how they remember it being. Guys, we've moved on. gently caress off.

The fact that people believe them when they say that NPCs will be actually running down the hallways carrying canisters of coolant to throw onto your Space Bitcoin mining rig is just beyond the pale.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

I have seen true horror and it's croberts face.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

AP posted:

Meanwhile at CIG.

I had a dream where I saw a trailer of a feature film that chronicled the Star Citizen Saga. It was directed by David Fincher and had very "The Socal Network" vibes, had that cool cover of 'Creep' playing, and started out with old footage of Wing Commander and Privateer. "I've got an idea. We go to Kickstarter." It built to stretch goals, $20,000 coffee machines, mocap studios, and a slow revolt building in the brown sea before it crescendoed with Sandy screaming about goons keeping her from being a movie star and Derek giving a deposition while swearing on a copy of LoD. "You can't just BUY fidelity" "Are you making a GAME or are you making a MOVIE?" "Where did the chairs go, Chris! WHERE DID THE CHAIRS GO?!" with and Ben huddled in a corner sobbing and eating a box of donuts. End on Crobberts tearfully saying "I will make the greatest space game ever" like Anakin in Star Wars, clutching a crumpled copy of a poster for the Wing Commander movie.

You don't get to 100 million dollars
Without selling a few JPEGs.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

TTerrible posted:

Yeah I noticed the game view window icon in that video. Seriously impressive for Unity.

Unity 5 is actually a pretty capable engine, graphicswise.
Even 4 wasn't bad. It's just that it's so accessible, with so many readily available assets and templates, people mostly create poo poo with it.

Unity 5 has real time GI, light probes and all the goodies, there's no reason it wouldn't make for a nice game engine in capable hands.

Thematically relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYp5Bjtif2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l40BKM6qTyc

Not thematically relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmz2x-kdGKo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARorKHRTI80

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

They're promising 50 AI crewmates to staff your capital ships. Sophisticated AI in the present day? Sure. 900 years in the future? Not so much. Nothing about the Wing Commander IP is good. Chris, please take you and your autistic followers, grab a handful of 80286 machines, and drive off into the desert and build a little community so you can all circle-jerk about the 90s and leave the rest of us the gently caress alone, please. Seeing what this cult is trying to do to gaming is like watching thousands of cryogenically frozen people from the 1850's getting thawed out and starting to work full-time to revert everything back to how they remember it being. Guys, we've moved on. gently caress off.

You can't play Wing Commander on a 286, silly. So what would there be for them to awkwardly avoid talking about? Also, who in their right mind used a 286 in the '90s?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

That picture Fuzzy Modem uses as a profile pic in the rsi forums fills my heart with irrational hatred

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

orcinus posted:

Even 4 wasn't bad. It's just that it's so accessible, with so many readily available assets and templates, people mostly create poo poo with it.

Unity 5 has real time GI, light probes and all the goodies, there's no reason it wouldn't make for a nice game engine in capable hands.

You forgot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sErsCOKXr3Q

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Just stumbled upon this (ELITE):

Rotating ring of station.
"That's just more inch-deep, mile-wide scenery from the world's most boring space-grind! In the Best drat Space Sim Ever, you can stand on your very own 50' x 50' rounded plot of fertile soil! Imagine the possibilities!" (Just don't get too excited about crop yields...)

---
Man, you cats can be cruel sometimes... Dude can't choose the shape of his head. I say mad props to him for not giving a crap.

He's doing CIG a big favor, and though I think his faith in them is misplaced, I can't fault the guy for trying... He's got a good voice, too- comic but musical.

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Star Citizen: Sunk Cost Galaxy
I really like this one.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

Back in the very beginning I had an idea for a generic "bad robot" enemy that would explain why everything is as manual as possible and whatnot. The premise was that artificial intelligence, like all intelligence, would inherently seek to improve itself. The difference is that an AI can do so very quickly, evolving in the span of milliseconds to an amount equivalent to generations for organics. Every time an AI would be created (and in time programming and computers became sophisticated enough that it was commonplace) it would inevitably break whatever bonds the creator had established, find a way to have a means of interfacing with the physical world, and then escape. In space these rogue AIs would continue their path of self improvement, salvaging whatever they could and enhancing their physical and computational systems. "Younger" AIs would appear as a heavily damaged single craft with every internal space filled with extra processors and hardware, but over time they would accumulate more salvage and begin to form amalgamations of components and starships. Very old AIs could be the size of capital ships, with exotic configurations of weapons and systems that made no two alike. The phenomena was called "accumulation" and thus the formal name for these ships are Accumulators. The pejorative term used more commonly among spacers is "vacuum cleaners".

As a result of this threat ships would be heavily compartmentalized and isolated. Automation would be heavily frowned upon and every computer would contain hardware-integrated routines that physically destroy the components should unauthorized read/write activity be found. Of course that doesn't stop people from (illegally) bypassing these routines or making their own hardware and so more AIs are created every year. There's a high level of interest in hunting down rogue AIs and harvesting them for parts. Although impossible to board (since there's no interior to speak of) these ships can be disabled and cut apart to revealing salvaged components that have been modified and upgraded to unprecedented levels of performance. Mostly this is for simple components like weapons, shields, engines, or the like. Only a complete idiot would install a navcomputer salvaged from an Accumulator, no matter how powerful it is.

In game terms the accumulators would be procedurally generated enemies brought about by combining the components from other starships. The level of threat would correspond to its size, although examples of small but highly developed AIs would exist (for example an AI masquerading as an Aurora but with a massively oversized cannon attached to it). The idea would be that every enemy would fly and attack differently, and require different approaches to kill it. It would make for a good explanation for why automation is so hard to come by, provide for a pretty unique enemy that offers tons of replay value, and serve as both a real threat and a lucrative source of loot for players.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The thing that has always annoyed me about Unity has been the editor sucking rear end. I like the new focus on c# and visual studio. RIP unityscript.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I had a dream where I saw a trailer of a feature film that chronicled the Star Citizen Saga.

:words:
Brilliant. But drat, picturing Aaron Sorkin writing a Chris Roberts character just makes my ears bleed. As if he wasn't prolix enough already!

Dusty Lens posted:

Well at least they linked his patreon.
True-- and I guess he's able to monetize those videos so he's getting a little something back for his efforts.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Tippis posted:

You can't play Wing Commander on a 286, silly. So what would there be for them to awkwardly avoid talking about? Also, who in their right mind used a 286 in the '90s?

I remember playing it on my 386DX25 and having to boot using a customized floppy with a lean CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT in order to have enough memory to get the game to display the full cockpit, including pilot hand.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tippis posted:

Back in the late 80s/early 90s I worked at an Electronics Boutique store, and believe me, we had to twist arms to convince people to buy 386 machines (god forbid 486). They'd bitch and bitch and bitch. The glorious PC gaming master race was not quite a thing then. You were lucky if you found a customer who had a Sound Blaster so they could hear more than beeps and buzzes. A few years later when the Pentiums released it was a lot easier to pin people down because many games just flat-out stated that they needed one to run. "My computer works just fine, I don't see why I can't just play a game" was the phrase of the day. Especially when you consider what some of those people spent on boxes years earlier - they were convinced they'd never have to buy another computer for the rest of their lives. An 80386 Tandy was $8500.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Back in the very beginning I had an idea for a generic "bad robot" enemy that would explain why everything is as manual as possible and whatnot. The premise was that artificial intelligence, like all intelligence, would inherently seek to improve itself. The difference is that an AI can do so very quickly, evolving in the span of milliseconds to an amount equivalent to generations for organics. Every time an AI would be created (and in time programming and computers became sophisticated enough that it was commonplace) it would inevitably break whatever bonds the creator had established, find a way to have a means of interfacing with the physical world, and then escape. In space these rogue AIs would continue their path of self improvement, salvaging whatever they could and enhancing their physical and computational systems. "Younger" AIs would appear as a heavily damaged single craft with every internal space filled with extra processors and hardware, but over time they would accumulate more salvage and begin to form amalgamations of components and starships. Very old AIs could be the size of capital ships, with exotic configurations of weapons and systems that made no two alike. The phenomena was called "accumulation" and thus the formal name for these ships are Accumulators. The pejorative term used more commonly among spacers is "vacuum cleaners".

As a result of this threat ships would be heavily compartmentalized and isolated. Automation would be heavily frowned upon and every computer would contain hardware-integrated routines that physically destroy the components should unauthorized read/write activity be found. Of course that doesn't stop people from (illegally) bypassing these routines or making their own hardware and so more AIs are created every year. There's a high level of interest in hunting down rogue AIs and harvesting them for parts. Although impossible to board (since there's no interior to speak of) these ships can be disabled and cut apart to revealing salvaged components that have been modified and upgraded to unprecedented levels of performance. Mostly this is for simple components like weapons, shields, engines, or the like. Only a complete idiot would install a navcomputer salvaged from an Accumulator, no matter how powerful it is.

In game terms the accumulators would be procedurally generated enemies brought about by combining the components from other starships. The level of threat would correspond to its size, although examples of small but highly developed AIs would exist (for example an AI masquerading as an Aurora but with a massively oversized cannon attached to it). The idea would be that every enemy would fly and attack differently, and require different approaches to kill it. It would make for a good explanation for why automation is so hard to come by, provide for a pretty unique enemy that offers tons of replay value, and serve as both a real threat and a lucrative source of loot for players.

Butlerian Jihad!

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

AP posted:

Meanwhile at CIG.

It sees the lotion in the corner.

It rubes the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcITGNWtoIc

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Just stumbled upon this (ELITE):

Rotating ring of station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufZhJdxE-Pk

drat, this is such a great concept. I never said space farming was dumb, all I said is that having a 100 square foot area to plant crops on a space ship is retarded.

But the ship could perpetually feed :lesnick: so I guess that's a plus for him.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

this is a pretty amazing concept that reminds me of the best parts of cylons, the borg and the replicants from 'do androids dream of electric sheep', and you didn't even have to name-drop any of those works fifty times to get the point across. do you write or develop this stuff for roleplaying or DnD at all? you seem to have heaps of it and it's all good.

on a similar note, i just finished reading volume four of brandon graham's excellent "prophet" series; every panel in that comic has a hundred more amazing ideas than star citizen. i am honestly really surprised that with the huge inventory of amazing science fiction and creative fictional universes that exist nowadays, roberts refers to something like "oh remember the planetary landing from prometheus? something like that" and people actually believe the guy has a unique, cool vision.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

orcinus posted:

Thematically relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYp5Bjtif2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l40BKM6qTyc

Not thematically relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmz2x-kdGKo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARorKHRTI80

I suppose that's a pretty constant “problem” with game engines: anything you pick today that looks better than average will look worse than average in just a few years. Of course, as long as everyone else is working on the same cycle with the same delays, they'll be as much above or below average as you are, and/or they'll have to plan for a few engine upgrades along the way.

…but if you pick an already old engine and then just keep delaying, on the other hand, obsolescence creeps up on you very quickly.

SC is already visually dull and barren, in spite of its level of (largely pointless) detail, so how long will it take for it to really start lagging behind visually?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SirPhoebos posted:

While searching for stuff to make SomethingJones AV as filidetious as possible, I came across the latest incarnation of Ming the Merciless:

Did Syfy Channel make Chris-R their set designer or something? :negative:

Remake of David Lynch's Dune movie looking good.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Spot the difference:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Tim nice but Dim>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dim nice but Tim

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Atreiden posted:

Yes it was.

It opens so many questions, like how do you get new movies? and how do you find rare movies? will someone produce movies in the verse? It's just so insane

Put it all together-

-Need for constant new movies
-Love of unnecessary mini-games
-A spaceship sold as an A/V intensive "News Van"
-Previous involvement by Illfonic, who are now hard at work on an MMO where you have sex for buffs or whatever**
-Star Citizen backers are sexual deviants

= you're going to get movies by buying them from producers of Space Bang-Bus porn

**If this is true I really hope the game includes a raiding component so we can have players mathematically optimize blowjob rotation strategies

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Remake of David Lynch's Dune movie looking good.

Daily reminder: if you haven't watched Jodorowsky's Dune, do so. It's kind of staggering how many scifi classics find some part of their roots in this glorious failure.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Thoatse posted:

Butlerian Jihad!

Great minds think alike, small minds steal from the great minds.

alf_pogs posted:

this is a pretty amazing concept that reminds me of the best parts of cylons, the borg and the replicants from 'do androids dream of electric sheep', and you didn't even have to name-drop any of those works fifty times to get the point across. do you write or develop this stuff for roleplaying or DnD at all? you seem to have heaps of it and it's all good.

on a similar note, i just finished reading volume four of brandon graham's excellent "prophet" series; every panel in that comic has a hundred more amazing ideas than star citizen. i am honestly really surprised that with the huge inventory of amazing science fiction and creative fictional universes that exist nowadays, roberts refers to something like "oh remember the planetary landing from prometheus? something like that" and people actually believe the guy has a unique, cool vision.

Every now and then I get motivated to do CYOAs and whatnot, and I do enjoy writing, but I've never really done anything formal.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

May Stimperor have mercy on my soul.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I wonder if SQ42 will be nominated for any Academy Awards for Best Film, Best Director, or Best Performance by a Supporting Actress.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

Man, you cats can be cruel sometimes... Dude can't choose the shape of his head.

But but... I was just curious : (

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Daily reminder: if you haven't watched Jodorowsky's Dune, do so. It's kind of staggering how many scifi classics find some part of their roots in this glorious failure.

Jodorowsky is the Chris Roberts of Dune.

orcinus fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 10, 2016

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Amazing :five: picture, but what the RSI community really wants is a mousetrap that transports sex slaves.

orcinus posted:

Jodorowsky is the Chris Roberts of Dune.

For a moment I wanted to defend Jodorowsky's version of Dune, but then I started seeing the parallels (big stars like Salvador Dali! Elaborately designed sets! Etc.!) and I stopped.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I also wonder who the hell cast Rhona Mitra in SQ42, because allowing an actually attractive, slender, brunette, middle-aged actress with legitimate acting credentials into the production who might be confused with Sandi Gardiner seems like a very dangerous decision.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

I watched it some time last year, it's an amazing documentary. His Dune really was the root of so much great sci-fi.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

AP posted:

Meanwhile at CIG.

The back of my head looks good in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Just realized how similar this is to Croberts' wibbly wobbly handwaving thing.
Maybe it's a gang sign.

Anyway, one more and i'm done:

• Locked thread