Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I hope they subvert themselves and Black Panther shoots them both.

That would be pretty rad if Black Panther kills Cap, Bucky, and Stark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We're all super impressed by your 90s era video game brand loyalty as applied to movies. Marvel does what Don't C!

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy
The DC Cinematic Universe is what it is. One movie. They made that decision back in 2013, and from that point up until a few weeks from now, that one movie is their entire cinematic universe. Nolan's stuff is it's own thing. The previous four Batman flicks are their own thing.

DC Studios is the official body insisting that that single movie about Supes doing 9/11 is the basis for their cinematic universe. If you can't find delight in that, then I don't know what to tell you. I guess we get off on different stuff.

Sense and Motion
Jan 9, 2011

Laughter, I said, is madness.

Boob Marley posted:

DC Cinematic Universe

DC Studios

Was DC Studios formed in 2013 as well? You seem to be in the know about these things.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Luminous Obscurity posted:

oh snap here we go someone threw shade on man of steel in cined

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I didn't intend for it to happen, but my adjusted chart reveals that rotten-tomatoe and imdb scores are effectively random.

They are useless for the purpose of directing me to a quality film.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

Sense and Motion posted:

Was DC Studios formed in 2013 as well? You seem to be in the know about these things.

sure

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Boob Marley posted:

Yes. Me. I care about two big studios trying to slug it out for my money and adoration. Especially when one seems to be seriously sucking wind.

MisterBibs alt account spotted.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

At first I was like, no way can Ant Man and Iron Man 3 be that bad, Age of Ultron was insanely terrible. That question mark just doesn't stand out. I'm saying your 30 second mspaint graph lacks visual rigor.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Soups did 9/11

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is it alright if I appreciate Man Of Steel on a technical level/filmmaking level but never want to watch it because I just don't like Superman as a character?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Is it alright if I appreciate Man Of Steel on a technical level/filmmaking level but never want to watch it because I just don't like Superman as a character?

It's rather silly because "Superman as a character" is defined in so many different ways that rejecting him just because his name is Superman doesn't make a lot of sense.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DeimosRising posted:

At first I was like, no way can Ant Man and Iron Man 3 be that bad, Age of Ultron was insanely terrible. That question mark just doesn't stand out. I'm saying your 30 second mspaint graph lacks visual rigor.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Did you already consult Boob Marley's chart?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Boob Marley posted:

The DC Cinematic Universe is what it is. One movie. They made that decision back in 2013, and from that point up until a few weeks from now, that one movie is their entire cinematic universe. Nolan's stuff is it's own thing. The previous four Batman flicks are their own thing.

DC Studios is the official body insisting that that single movie about Supes doing 9/11 is the basis for their cinematic universe. If you can't find delight in that, then I don't know what to tell you. I guess we get off on different stuff.
I kinda like that he is a person and not some lame 1940s everyman american cardboard cutout. That sort of weak storytelling leads to poo poo like The Hulk using secret psychic powers to prevent the poo poo he ruins from ever killing anybody, or Jarvis instantly buying up an under construction building so Tony can safely smash Hulk through it with zero consequence.

So yeah I am glad Superman did 9/11. I hope he does another one. Heck I hope he does 2.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm not totally on board with it but at least Superman's got a character to develop.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I actually really hate the "Supes did 9/11" sentiment as well as the Thunderbolt Ross scene at the beginning of this new trailer implying that super people are responsible for disasters they get involved with. It strikes me as going up to a firefighter and saying "gee you seem to be at the scene of a lot of burning buildings".

The superheros should be like "okay yeah we won't stop the next alien invasion then :jerkbag:" and walk out of the room.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I kinda like that he is a person and not some lame 1940s everyman american cardboard cutout. That sort of weak storytelling leads to poo poo like The Hulk using secret psychic powers to prevent the poo poo he ruins from ever killing anybody, or Jarvis instantly buying up an under construction building so Tony can safely smash Hulk through it with zero consequence.

So yeah I am glad Superman did 9/11. I hope he does another one. Heck I hope he does 2.

I hope Superman kills Alfred and that is the real reason for the conflict.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I can't believe you didn't see [inhumanly monotone voice] Thor: The Dark World

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Boob Marley posted:

You are right.
And the mysterious idiot who made that abomination of a table got the memo. Whoever he was...

Comparing the MCU to the DCU at this point is one heck of a false equivalence since you're comparing one film to twelve films. There's absolutely no way of telling how the next eleven DCU films will compare to the MCU output so it's pretty pointless to try and make some sort of judgement call at this point.

In any case it took Marvel Studios several years to really find their feet. Iron Man may be their highest rated film on the graph but the four films immediately following that were four of their bottom five rated films. If you average out the ratings for their first five films it comes out at 6.95 which isn't significantly greater than Man of Steel's 6.7.

Guy A. Person posted:

I actually really hate the "Supes did 9/11" sentiment as well as the Thunderbolt Ross scene at the beginning of this new trailer implying that super people are responsible for disasters they get involved with. It strikes me as going up to a firefighter and saying "gee you seem to be at the scene of a lot of burning buildings".
Firefighters are all registered and regulated by the government. :v:
Also quite a few firefighters have turned out to be pyromaniacs, often getting caught out because they 'mysteriously' beat everyone else to the scene.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

does civil war spiderman have mechanical web shooters or human web glands. the web glands, are good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

The superheros should be like "okay yeah we won't stop the next alien invasion then :jerkbag:" and walk out of the room.

The idea seems to be that they're wrong for doing that though. like Batman is blaming Superman for it because Superman is of the same race as the guy really responsible and he happened to be nearby.

oddium posted:

does civil war spiderman have mechanical web shooters or human web glands. the web glands, are good

Web shooters, they're visible in the trailer.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I Hate This Spiderman

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
It would make a lot of sense for Iron Man to get shot instead of Captain America because how else are you going to do the broken shield cliffhanger at the end of Infinity War Part One without Captain America?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

oddium posted:

I Hate This Spiderman

I love him because he is something different from what we got in the last film. Also because organic shooters give me PTSD.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Proposition Joe posted:

It would make a lot of sense for Iron Man to get shot instead of Captain America because how else are you going to do the broken shield cliffhanger at the end of Infinity War Part One without Captain America?

Steve Rogers dying <> No Captain America

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Guy A. Person posted:

I'd be okay with it if Infinity War started this way, with the American military totally helpless in the face of Thanos, asking the Avengers for help and getting "lol no way" and then having to work their way down a list trying to get supers to help them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

oddium posted:

I Hate This Spiderman

I hate this Windows Vista tonight.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Comparing the MCU to the DCU at this point is one heck of a false equivalence since you're comparing one film to twelve films.

You're goddamn right it is.
And that's what makes it fascinating and hilarious to me. For the past 3 years DC has stood by the declaration that it's Man of Steel is their official cinematic universe and Nolan's films mean nothing to them moving forward.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Boob Marley posted:

And that's what makes it fascinating and hilarious to me. For the past 3 years DC has stood by the declaration that it's Man of Steel is their official cinematic universe and Nolan's films mean nothing to them moving forward.

Nolan's Batmans mean enough to them that they were willing to not pervert them into being the basis for their cinematic universe :ssh:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Firefighters are all registered and regulated by the government. :v:

Yeah that's true, I thought of that. It still would be weird to show firefighters a bunch of footage of fires and be like "this is why you loose canons need government oversight".

HIJK posted:

I'd be okay with it if Infinity War started this way, with the American military totally helpless in the face of Thanos, asking the Avengers for help and getting "lol no way" and then having to work their way down a list trying to get supers to help them.

The entire movie is someone dedicated enough to wade through the bureaucracy to file all the paperwork and get the appropriate permits so that the Avengers can actually legally fight Thanos. The last 5 minutes is the Avengers finally beating and detaining him.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Boob Marley posted:

Maybe... just maybe. Hear me out now. Maybe the Nolan films were proposed as a self-contained trilogy (likely by Nolan) and were never in the plans to kickstart a shared universe type thing.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

teagone posted:

Maybe... just maybe. Hear me out now. Maybe the Nolan films were proposed as a self-contained trilogy (likely by Nolan) and were never in the plans to kickstart a shared universe type thing.

That is the very point I've been trying to make. The chart compares Marvel's robust Cinematic Universe to DC's puny official Cinematic Universe composed of exactly 1 poopy movie. It doesn't include the Chris Nolan Universe just like it doesn't include the Marvel movies not part of its official Cinematic Universe (Daredevil, Elektra, Punisher).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

teagone posted:

Nolan also pitched Man of Steel, is executive producer for BvS and going to be acting in an advisory role for the DCCU moving forward.

Boob Marley posted:

That is the very point I've been trying to make. The chart compares Marvel's robust Cinematic Universe to DC's puny official Cinematic Universe composed of exactly 1 poopy movie. It doesn't include the Chris Nolan Universe just like it doesn't include the Marvel movies not part of its official Cinematic Universe (Daredevil, Elektra, Punisher).

Oh... uh...good point then?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Marvel vs. DC is played.

How about :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Horse_Entertainment
vs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Hat_Harry_Productions

I'm pretty fond of X-Men but the Hellboy movies are some of my favorites in terms of visual design. The goodwill from Mystery Men is cancelled out by the tag-team of The Mask and Sin City 2 though, and Usual Suspects outweighs Returns for me. I'd give it to BHH.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I admit it is pretty funny that WB is building their universe off a pretty mediocre film from 3 years ago but that's where my interest in comparing the two franchises ends. Like, there's really no basis for comparison until we see at least 2-3 more movies from WB.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Marvel built their universe out of a mediocre movie as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Guy A. Person posted:

Well, to be fair, http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/2010/07/murphy-firefighter-arsonists.html

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The MCU was a hard launch in 2008, while the DCEU was a soft launch in 2013. The time between Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk was two months, while the time between Man of Steel and BvS is close to three years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It just seems really weird to bring it up now, when hype for the actual DCCU is building. Like, yes it is accurate that Marvel had a massive head start on the shared universe concept, and DC has been lagging way behind. And if you don't like MoS then it seems dumb to base the DCCU out of it. But in a week and a half the amount of films will double and then increase by 2 every year. Let's just see how it goes.

• Locked thread