Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I keep seeing references to pedestrian paths and bike lanes but see no options at all to make either of these in-game (unless pedestrian paths refer to the seemingly useless concrete paths). Are they tied to expansions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I wanna know how many times EA has tried to sue / buy them :allears:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Alabaster White posted:

I keep seeing references to pedestrian paths and bike lanes but see no options at all to make either of these in-game (unless pedestrian paths refer to the seemingly useless concrete paths). Are they tied to expansions?

They're in the Parks tab, oddly enough. The dirt path looking icon

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Oh you poor thing :(
I wonder if anyone's actually figuring out how to mod in seasons. Snow-on-roofs is a dynamic thing applied to assets, so I still don't understand why it wasn't season based from the outset honestly.

Most likely that snow as a biome is just the simpest way of doing things. It was probably easier to hijack the biome system to implement snow than to create an entirely new seasons mechanic.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Alabaster White posted:

bike lanes are available as a road type.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
in an ideal world, we would have seasons, day/night cycles, and years passing, all completely desynced from each other. that is the true cities: skylines dream, I think.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Bikes are only a thing if you have After Dark. Bike lanes on roads are just in the road list with all the other roads. Bike paths and pedestrian paths are in the parks menu.

They're incredibly handy.

Some pictures while I'm here:

Just turned a massively overcrowded bus route (to the airport) into this city's first metro line.

And a couple beauty shots, the second one showing the start of rush-hour traffic:

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 11, 2016

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
What's even the point of bike paths? They can ride on pedestrian paths just fine...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
From a while back: Someone had a mod go screwy after the most recent update and completely remove their ability to place roads, but I cannot find the post or remember the mod. I ask because it's happening to me now! Does anyone happen to remember?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

CJacobs posted:

From a while back: Someone had a mod go screwy after the most recent update and completely remove their ability to place roads, but I cannot find the post or remember the mod. I ask because it's happening to me now! Does anyone happen to remember?

It's Fine Road Heights. There's a fix in the comments on the Workshop.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bold Robot posted:

It's Fine Road Heights. There's a fix in the comments on the Workshop.

Got it, thank you.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Reason posted:

I tried to play a map that was snowy, but it was snowy all the time. Are there any maps that have more varied weather? Sunny and Snowy days? Seasons even? Is that even a thing in the game yet?

Sorry. Normal maps after Snowfall do at least have rain and fog and storms now, but no snow.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Sorry. Normal maps after Snowfall do at least have rain and fog and storms now, but no snow.

Youre not getting the true northern experience without the chance for year round snow anyway! :canada:

Which reminds me that I need to browse the workshop for as much Canadian stuff as possible. I already have the basketweave (which I still cant seem to get to work with how the game handles traffic but whatever, I just wanted it for the look), Tim Hortons, Canadian Tire and the TTC tram but its nowhere near enough. I want to recreate Mississauga in all its miserable suburban traffic hell glory.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Youre not getting the true northern experience without the chance for year round snow anyway! :canada:

Which reminds me that I need to browse the workshop for as much Canadian stuff as possible. I already have the basketweave (which I still cant seem to get to work with how the game handles traffic but whatever, I just wanted it for the look), Tim Hortons, Canadian Tire and the TTC tram but its nowhere near enough. I want to recreate Mississauga in all its miserable suburban traffic hell glory.

Get the Neo Eclectic building theme and fill your 5x5 tile space with mcmansions.

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

I applaud your noble cause :canada:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

super fart shooter posted:

What's even the point of bike paths? They can ride on pedestrian paths just fine...

It's probably a faster travel speed, since they don't have to share the road with pedestrians. I know if I have those to the side of pedestrian paths, lots more people ride bikes. So it also probably incentivizes people to ride a bike.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Welcome to Seneca County, aka "FUCKFUCKFUCK BUILDING THEMES MANAGER ISN'T WORKING FUCKFUCK"

Sea walls are janky as gently caress and I hope the official ones don't involve the most counter-intuitive terraforming possible.

My Sips-inspired park. Everything was hand-placed.

The original suburb. The basic two-lane roads will carry you so loving far, man. If only the Themes Manager was working.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Building Themes has been working just fine for me today, though. Usually it's at most half a day after a patch rolls out before it's fixed. :shrug:

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Baronjutter posted:

Oh you poor thing :(
I wonder if anyone's actually figuring out how to mod in seasons. Snow-on-roofs is a dynamic thing applied to assets, so I still don't understand why it wasn't season based from the outset honestly.

Memory budgets are usually what stop CO from doing that cool stuff. They seem pretty tight on keeping the game loading fast by segregating assets, models and textures. Compare loading times with and without a bunch of mods and you start to appreciate their decisions a little.

I mean I get it, I want flowing seasons too, but I can also see why it's currently implemented the way it is now.

If you were to implement seasons, you would (in a faithful way) have 4x the base assets having to load in some way, the whole map theme, like the ground, water, trees, etc would have to change to their seasonal counterparts on the fly. It is possible, and it would take a lot of effort to do it correctly and within memory budgets. It's possible though, the sims did it, however, their world scope was way smaller and even then, with a bunch of their expansions load times became noticeably longer.

Another example would be the 9 tiles comparison to the 1 of sim city 2013. Budget constraints went too far in sc2013 and put a pretty large nail in an already lowering coffin.

Again, modders don't need a rhyme or reason to care about customers, min spec and memory. Which is why we have the crazy, full liberty, no security unsandboxed c# code that allows people to basically do anything to the game. Including malevolent code if they feel like it. It's pros and cons in the long run.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Fishbus posted:

Memory budgets are usually what stop CO from doing that cool stuff.

Memory constraints are the reason for not including a lot of stuff people complain about. I do wonder where people get the impression it's quick and easy to implement some of this stuff.

The anniversary update features sound interesting though, I was always confused how to make my riverbanks look good.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

super fart shooter posted:

It's speed. Bikes on sidewalks go pedestrian speed. Bikes on bike paths and in bike lanes go much faster. It also definitely incentivizes bike use. I don't know if there's a separate incentive, or if it's just the higher speed making it more appealing.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Me building my public transportation system.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Reason posted:

I really like the snow, but heating pipes are expensive as gently caress and I kept bankrupting myself just trying to provide heat to my peoples.

You don't strictly need dedicated heating, people are perfectly happy to heat with electricity. I would advise just using the money you would spend on heating to get electricity running with a buffer, since 1 Boiler thingie costs something like 5 Advanced Wind Turbines (or 3 Coal Plants), not counting the upgraded piping. The only problem is that heating demand fluctuates drastically with temperatures, so if you get a stretch of really rather cold weather (-20°C or something), you might see your electricity usage jump all over the place. In my current city (incidentally, the savegame is called "Canada gently caress Yeah"), I only rolled out proper heating quite a bit after getting a University.

MonoAus posted:

Me building my public transportation system.
:finland:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
My cat's building an asset

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

A while ago during discussion about making your cities pretty and the limitations of the game someone had mentioned Traffic++ let you zone squares next to pedestrian paths. I reinstalled the game today and looked for it, but it appears the current version of traffic++ doesn't have that functionality. Does anyone know if there is a standalone mod that does that? Searching has been fruitless, everything is drowned in a sea of different assets that meet all keywords I can think of for what I'm looking for.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
That functionality now comes with Network Extensions. They're the people who are keeping traffic++ v2 alive for legacy support reasons as well. Right now I'd say NExt + TM President's Edition + Rush Hour is a really nice combination of traffic mods.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Thanks, I'll try those out!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm having weirdness with garbage dumps, they won't work. I've got garbage piling up and my garbage dumps won't send out trucks to pick up. The number of trucks in use goes from 0 to 1 back to 0 without ever sending a truck out. I've made sure they are connected to the areas that need garbage picked up. I'm using the next, tm, rush hour mod combo. Anyone had this happen? Know how to fix it?

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...

Reason posted:

I'm having weirdness with garbage dumps, they won't work. I've got garbage piling up and my garbage dumps won't send out trucks to pick up. The number of trucks in use goes from 0 to 1 back to 0 without ever sending a truck out. I've made sure they are connected to the areas that need garbage picked up. I'm using the next, tm, rush hour mod combo. Anyone had this happen? Know how to fix it?

I had something similar happen when the dump was connected to my 4-lane road on the side heading towards the highway connection just outside of city limits (starting city). The trucks won't deploy directly unless they have a place to turn around and go the right direction. I just moved the dump to face another street and it was fine.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

comaerror posted:

I had something similar happen when the dump was connected to my 4-lane road on the side heading towards the highway connection just outside of city limits (starting city). The trucks won't deploy directly unless they have a place to turn around and go the right direction. I just moved the dump to face another street and it was fine.

Weird! I always put my dumps on like dedicated service roads with a turnaround nub at the end, so I had no idea this could happen. Can this happen to other utility vehicles, too?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

comaerror posted:

I tried moving it around, I guess I'll try some more maybe make a loop or something.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Thin Privilege posted:

My cat's building a nyasset

FTFY

Serious: I've been thinking of picking up the new EP cause it's been a while since I've built any cities. But perhaps I should wait until the end of the month and see what these new features will be like.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

I've found that the right map with the right starting point helps a lot with making an initial city that doesn't look weird. Right now I'm playing with this Country of Dream map, which uses the Network Extensions mod (make sure you have it) to make more of a rural highway network to start with rather than the vanilla big-rear end highway ending in an abrupt fart for you to build off of. It feels much less awkward to build off the little two-lane rural highway from Network Extensions, or just upgrade a segment of the highway into zoneable roads and make that an early Main Street.

I've been having a go at making several independent little burgs and then slowly building up into a megalopolis from that:

Only downside of that map in particular is that the river is just for looks and has practically no flow, and the lakes are all incredibly shallow. Figuring out where to dump sewage has been tricky.
This is pretty great.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, I think I ran into a bug with the Country of Dream map. As soon as I got the chance, I zoned all my industrial for forestry (Natural Resources map shows that its forestry ready). The small amount of generic dirty industry I had immediately despawned, and the entire industrial zone emptied out. Now, my demand for industrial is through the roof and nothing is building in the forestry zone. I have plenty of available, low-education workers, the zone has power and water and road access, but still nothing. It's been going on like this for a while (at least three day/night sequences) and I'm starting to get a little concerned.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So, I think I ran into a bug with the Country of Dream map. As soon as I got the chance, I zoned all my industrial for forestry (Natural Resources map shows that its forestry ready). The small amount of generic dirty industry I had immediately despawned, and the entire industrial zone emptied out. Now, my demand for industrial is through the roof and nothing is building in the forestry zone. I have plenty of available, low-education workers, the zone has power and water and road access, but still nothing. It's been going on like this for a while (at least three day/night sequences) and I'm starting to get a little concerned.

Could it be that you have the forestry zone or the map in general set to use a building theme that doesn't have forestry assets? Only thing I can think of that would cause stuff to not grow.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Could it be that you have the forestry zone or the map in general set to use a building theme that doesn't have forestry assets? Only thing I can think of that would cause stuff to not grow.

I'll double check, but I don't think I dictated a theme for that zone. I switched it back to generic industry and it filled up super fast.

e: That's weird. Now I can't access the themes mod from the zone tab. I can click it, the themes icon gets highlighted and the little close icon shows up on the control panel, but the themes tab/control panel thing doesn't open.

ps: That was totally the problem, Bold Robot. Once I got Building Themes to load correctly, I discovered that I'd made my industrial zone a combo of Manhattan and Brooklyn. Got rid of that and all my forest industry appeared like magic.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 12, 2016

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Also your subway is probably useless. Replace it with a few north/south bus routes

This is from forever ago, but why is that subway useless? I don't really use metros, but I'm interested in making a good network.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I like using trams (and buses), but while I generally understand what routing to do, I've never been sure about spacing and location of specific stops. Should trams or buses have a stop on every block? Every other block? Two points on a route and that's it? Should there be more stops in residential areas while industrial areas need only a couple (or vice versa)?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Ofaloaf posted:

I like using trams (and buses), but while I generally understand what routing to do, I've never been sure about spacing and location of specific stops. Should trams or buses have a stop on every block? Every other block? Two points on a route and that's it? Should there be more stops in residential areas while industrial areas need only a couple (or vice versa)?

I do every other block and it seems to work out ok, but it's hard to say. I think too many stops might gently caress up traffic a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Scenic vistas ought to have an innate land value modifier, the way waterfront land does. I don't know how they'd implement it though, maybe the value could increase with altitude and steepness of the slope?