Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Please don't mention Dumbo, it conjures up memories of Pink Elephants On Parade :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Augus posted:

I should probably see this movie, it's gotten great reception all around.

Can confirm, Zootopia is pretty boss in general. Like, unless you're a grognardy anti-SJW, you'll probably find something to enjoy in it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MrSlam posted:

How on earth do you get fascist undertones from Dumbo and Bambi?

I was thinking more about the literal war propaganda cartoons they made really.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I'm an old foreign man can someone please explain what people are meaning when they say anti-robocop. Assuming it has nothing to do with the film.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Augus posted:

I was thinking more about the literal war propaganda cartoons they made really.

Oh, yeah. Those are kind of fun to go back and look at.

Go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong: Part of the reason Disney made those at all was that the US Army took his studio after Pearl Harbor to fortify the west coast. FDR agreed to give the studio back in exchange for Disney making the war time shorts.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Wrageowrapper posted:

I'm an old foreign man can someone please explain what people are meaning when they say anti-robocop. Assuming it has nothing to do with the film.

s.j.w. now gets word-filtered to robocop

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Red Metal posted:

s.j.w. now gets word-filtered to robocop

And people wonder why these forums are so highly regarded???

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

If anyone ever posts a look back on the Robocop franchise, things are going to get really confusing really quickly.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

prahanormal posted:

And people wonder why these forums are so highly regarded???

"I'd buy that for :10bux:"

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Incidentally, Robocop is one of the greatest satires of fascism ever made. It's about a robot programmed for justice and his attempts to truly help the world, even going as far as to inhumanly, unforgivingly target the corruption of his own department. It's a movie that says, if cops really were a force for justice, they would be shooting the rich, whose arms would get super-long for no reason as they fall to their deaths. It's a beautiful message that stands the test of time.

I joke but Robocop 1 and 2 are incredibly smart films. There's a continuous theme of robots reprogramming themselves that make some cool points about how ideology functions.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Hbomberguy posted:

I joke but Robocop 1 and 2 are incredibly smart films. There's a continuous theme of robots reprogramming themselves that make some cool points about how ideology functions.

I'm the guy who sticks up for Robocop 2 as being absolutely brilliant. It's a little sloppy in terms of structure but one part I absolutely loved was the committee that was trying to make robocop more family-friendly and it felt almost like a direct middle-finger to people who complained about the first film being too violent. The real brilliance of the first film to me is that it absolutely perfectly demonstrates the dangers of everything being privately owned. Honestly a show that does a really good modern take on that is Orange is the New Black with the prison eventually being privately held and the real shitshow that turns into for the guards as well as the inmates.

And as the stale joke goes Robocop was an awfully optimistic view of Detroit :v:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh, yeah. Those are kind of fun to go back and look at.

Go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong: Part of the reason Disney made those at all was that the US Army took his studio after Pearl Harbor to fortify the west coast. FDR agreed to give the studio back in exchange for Disney making the war time shorts.

Correct. Part of the reason Disney spent the rest of the 40s making compilation movies was to recover from it. The Jack and the Beanstalk short from Fun and Fancy Free was originally going to be a full length movie, but soldiers stole cells from the project when the US Army left the studio.

Disney had no real choice whether or not to make the propaganda films, and the rest of Hollywood was the same. I wouldn't call Disney the borderline fascists here.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

MrSlam posted:

How on earth do you get fascist undertones from Dumbo and Bambi?

Bambi falls more into the background radiation of authoritarianism by being yet another story about a crown prince who learns morality lessons from the subjects he is destined to be lord over. Also the whole Baden-Powell/Rudyard Kipling style Burden of Leadership thing. Again, it's less specifically fascist and more generically authoritarian.

Dumbo espouses a lot of the just-world and genetic-superiority ideas that are pretty popular with authoritarians.

Now, you may be thinking to yourself, "but those descriptions describe pretty much every fantasy novel, sci-fi, video game, comic book, and children's movie!" and to that I would say yes, yes it does.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Hbomberguy posted:

Incidentally, Robocop is one of the greatest satires of fascism ever made. It's about a robot programmed for justice and his attempts to truly help the world, even going as far as to inhumanly, unforgivingly target the corruption of his own department. It's a movie that says, if cops really were a force for justice, they would be shooting the rich, whose arms would get super-long for no reason as they fall to their deaths. It's a beautiful message that stands the test of time.

Robocop 3 is really bad but it kinda almost reverses in on itself and becomes an unintentional satire of 80's to early 90's action films taken to an absurd level. It's just so loving stupid and hits so many of the worst kinds of tropes of those sorts of movies I almost feel like it's intentional on some level.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

OldTennisCourt posted:

Robocop 3 is really bad but it kinda almost reverses in on itself and becomes an unintentional satire of 80's to early 90's action films taken to an absurd level. It's just so loving stupid and hits so many of the worst kinds of tropes of those sorts of movies I almost feel like it's intentional on some level.

The problem with R3 is that it's one of those films that look like they were made by people who didn't see the first two, nor read the scripts or spoke with the previous team for any serious length of time, but did get some excerpts, production stills and highlight reels.

The first two have a private police force with some Fascistic imagery, so in R3 you have literal storm troopers purging the ghetto's. Robocop battles outlandish thugs, so here we have a gang staffed entirely by goons like those cackling rapists from the first one. The media distorts reality and puts a gloss on terrible events, here they're actively broadcasting propaganda. It's peppered with parody adverts, fleshing out the world and ribibng on consumerism, Oh poo poo we forgot about them, lets shove one in at the end just before the big showdown. Robocop fights another robot/cyborg.... well we can't afford that so lets have him fight a Japanese guy with a sword and only slap on some metallic make up at the end. The other problem is that in addition to not really being thought out none of these elements really seem to gel, they all just seem like loose threads barely touching. Oh and chasing after a family audience with a rating tone down and some awful child character filled to the gills with `attitude`tm.

Not getting Peter Weller to return was also a major loss, though we did get Naked Lunch because of it,so it wasn't all bad.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Baka-nin posted:

The problem with R3 is that it's one of those films that look like they were made by people who didn't see the first two, nor read the scripts or spoke with the previous team for any serious length of time, but did get some excerpts, production stills and highlight reels.

The first two have a private police force with some Fascistic imagery, so in R3 you have literal storm troopers purging the ghetto's. Robocop battles outlandish thugs, so here we have a gang staffed entirely by goons like those cackling rapists from the first one. The media distorts reality and puts a gloss on terrible events, here they're actively broadcasting propaganda. It's peppered with parody adverts, fleshing out the world and ribibng on consumerism, Oh poo poo we forgot about them, lets shove one in at the end just before the big showdown. Robocop fights another robot/cyborg.... well we can't afford that so lets have him fight a Japanese guy with a sword and only slap on some metallic make up at the end. The other problem is that in addition to not really being thought out none of these elements really seem to gel, they all just seem like loose threads barely touching. Oh and chasing after a family audience with a rating tone down and some awful child character filled to the gills with `attitude`tm.

Not getting Peter Weller to return was also a major loss, though we did get Naked Lunch because of it,so it wasn't all bad.

That's where I'm coming from where it hits this almost absurd parody of that style of film. It's taking a hyper violent and dark film and sucking out everything that made it popular, changing it in ways that totally clash with it's basic concepts, the lead character isn't played by the same actor, it's toned down because there was a very popular cartoon/it had a huge toy market etc. It just hits all those tropes and it a perfect distillation of that type of film.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Robocop 3 is like if the committee from Robocop 2 got to the film itself. It's bad but bad in an interesting, some would say philosophically useful, way.

Robocop is all 'yo capitalism destroys everything beautiful in this world, it is time to wreak bloody vengeance' and Robocop 3 is all 'I am PG13, who wants some decaffeinated violence? Can't we all just get along?'

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Hbomberguy posted:

Robocop 3 is like if the committee from Robocop 2 got to the film itself.

That's honestly a brilliant way to put it. I watched most of Robocop 3 not long ago and it's probably not as bad as most you remember and the first part of the movie where they're putting people on buses, demolishing homes, etc is genuinely well done too.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

LFK posted:

Bambi falls more into the background radiation of authoritarianism by being yet another story about a crown prince who learns morality lessons from the subjects he is destined to be lord over. Also the whole Baden-Powell/Rudyard Kipling style Burden of Leadership thing. Again, it's less specifically fascist and more generically authoritarian.

Dumbo espouses a lot of the just-world and genetic-superiority ideas that are pretty popular with authoritarians.

Now, you may be thinking to yourself, "but those descriptions describe pretty much every fantasy novel, sci-fi, video game, comic book, and children's movie!" and to that I would say yes, yes it does.

I think with a question like that, there is an implied "more than other media". Even if you ascribe to this view of media interpretation, given the context of the conversation they were asking what makes those in particular do so.

And a later post showed that the poster they were asking meant the actual war propaganda and not their feature length stuff anyway.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dSW62oi6nw

There's more skulls in this Movie Nights review of House 2 than a Davis Aurini video!

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
New NC for "Cats and Dogs". I haven't watched it yet because I can't be arsed to figure out whatever new embedding site they're using this week-- but I mention it since between this and Son of the Mask-- he's now reviewed two of the movies my second (third) cousin (ish) Lawrence Gutterman has directed.

The only two movies he directed.

They-- they were not good.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tracula posted:

And as the stale joke goes Robocop was an awfully optimistic view of Detroit :v:

The joke I always heard was that they wanted to make a set to show Detroit after decades of dystopian capitalism. Then they found Dallas and didn't bother making the sets.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Hahahaha youtube closed Aurini's account.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

lornekates posted:

New NC for "Cats and Dogs". I haven't watched it yet because I can't be arsed to figure out whatever new embedding site they're using this week-- but I mention it since between this and Son of the Mask-- he's now reviewed two of the movies my second (third) cousin (ish) Lawrence Gutterman has directed.

The only two movies he directed.

They-- they were not good.

Good loving god.

I saw Cats and Dogs in theaters and that was the movie that made me realize, movies can be poo poo.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Chromatic posted:

Holy poo poo, really?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Chromatic posted:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Equeen posted:

Holy poo poo, really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIrAWSiJLdI

:qq: MUH FREE SPEECH AND CENSORSHIP :qq:

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Equeen posted:

Holy poo poo, really?

I'm guessing his videos fell under the "Hateful content" category of Youtube's Community Guidelines.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A good poster posted:

I'm guessing his videos fell under the "Hateful content" category of Youtube's Community Guidelines.

So who's Aurini?

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

I only made it a minute into that video. I got to the campfire joke, and realized I wasn't prepared to go further.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

A good poster posted:

Apparently he didnt like robocop or robocop 2. He said 3 was good and that was the last straw.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

How many times does Davis angrily scream the N-word without context in the video? I don't have the stomach to watch it.

I scrubbed to about half way through and heard nasally voiced gun-penis avatar guy unironically describe Instagram as "that gay poo poo" and immediately flipped it off.

Always nice to see some people never grow out of junior high school.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Chromatic posted:

Christmas came early this year.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
This is quite an amusing video.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is he going to team up with Doug Walker now?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Watching Phelous's Patreon video of Countryside Bears right now :siren:SPOILER ALERT:siren: It's pretty funny and you should follow him on Patreon

One thing I've noticed but I never usually bring up in the comments section is how Phelan has been reviewing (mostly) cartoons for the past few years. He's the cartoon-guy now.

I wonder if he got burnt out on horror movies, or if it's just easier/more fun to review cartoons? Or if most of the horror movies he reviewed started blending together?
I hope Miss Wallace can jump in and answer these questions.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 11, 2016

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So who's Aurini?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsdIHK8O5yo

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

MrSlam posted:

Watching Phelous's Patreon video of Countryside Bears right now :siren:SPOILER ALERT:siren: It's pretty funny and you should follow him on Patreon

One thing I've noticed but I never usually bring up in the comments section is how Phelan has been reviewing (mostly) cartoons for the past few years. He's the cartoon-guy now.

I wonder if he got burnt out on horror movies, or if it's just easier/more fun to review cartoons? Or if most of the horror movies he reviewed started blending together?

I'd say a lot of the animation he reviews now is far more horrific than any actual horror film.

Also, I'm a sucker for the Old Man voice. Phelous and Linkara should do a crossover where Old Man meets Fat Grandma.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah, I love horror Phelous, but cartoon Phelous is a lot funnier.* Possibly because bad cartoons offer a million new ways to be bizarre and incompetent, while bad movies are usually constrained by the limits of reality and budget.

*In that horror Phelous is super funny but cartoon Phelous is like SSJ funny. Bootlegs Phelous is also SSJ funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

MrSlam posted:

Definitely follow him on Patreon! ;)

There's not much of an answer, he just wanted to do something different and got tired of doing horror movies every week. He still does them occasionally, he just enjoys doing the cartoon/toy reviews a lot. I think it helps that a lot of these cartoons are funny bad, versus the horror movies which can be anger-inducing at times.

• Locked thread