Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think Endeavor ever beat his kids. Just neglected them.

Anyway his Mother had a ice quirk while his dad had a fire one. The rest of his siblings just inherited one or the other instead of both like Endeavor wanted until Shouto.

I'm not saying he beat his kids (except in facial hair for the boys), but I recall a panel that seemed to indicate that the training that Shouto underwent was pretty drat tough. At least enough to make him vomit during it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

FH_Meta posted:

I'm not saying he beat his kids (except in facial hair for the boys), but I recall a panel that seemed to indicate that the training that Shouto underwent was pretty drat tough. At least enough to make him vomit during it.

Yeah, he pretty much beat Shouto up at 5 years old. Also that last panel might be him slapping his mom? Not sure.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Dumb kindergartner, how do you think that you can beat All Might if that's all you've got?

I don't even know what an All Might is!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gyges posted:

Dumb kindergartner, how do you think that you can beat All Might if that's all you've got?

I don't even know what an All Might is!

At this point some totally random adult could beat you up!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I present Endeavor with the Gendo Ikari 'Father of the Year' award. You've earned it pal, you've earned it.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I present Endeavor with the Gendo Ikari 'Father of the Year' award. You've earned it pal, you've earned it.

Presenting the award is Ragyo Kiryuin

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

GodFish posted:

I agree, we should rein them in.
Hey now, if we've a number of pun aficionados among us, I'd think it would behoove us to keep a few around.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Hmm, not sure how I feel about that but who else could've gotten it really?

If they know what they're doing they'll do stuff like grab Dante Brasco to do Todoroki.

edit:
Oh, he absolutely beat Shouto.

It was training however.

...for a 5 year-old.

Re-reading the first half of the manga kinda makes Todoroki actually agreeing to work with him kinda gross because honestly Endeavor should be in prison.

Ehh, Todoroki's only working with his father to further his own ambitions. He's not planning on reconciling with the piece of poo poo, he's planning on using him for his experience and connections. Basically? He's treating his father as a tool, in much the same way that his father treats him.

Personally I'd suggest he quit heroics and go off and use his quirk to become a professional chef. Fire powers for cooking, ice powers for ingredient storage/ice cream making!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Despite everything Todoroki really does believe in the ideal of heroics, as personified in All Might.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Fabricated posted:

Yeah, he pretty much beat Shouto up at 5 years old. Also that last panel might be him slapping his mom? Not sure.

Yup.

バシ = The sound of one hand clapping you across the face.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Re-reading the first half of the manga kinda makes Todoroki actually agreeing to work with him kinda gross because honestly Endeavor should be in prison.

Gettin shat on by any authority figure long enough will do that.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Endeavor's utterly contemptible as a human being, but I can kinda sorta understand Todoroki's decision to work with him in an Andy Dufresne "I'm a convicted murderer who happens to offer sound financial advice" kinda way.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Calling it: next arc Deku's gonna stop breaking bones.
Real training arc to get his quirk under control, watch him buff up a bit too.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wild Horses posted:

Given how All Might looks, I'm worried that Deku is gonna end up looking like the X-Man Strong Guy.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Wild Horses posted:

the fact that his power progression is so minor and has proven ineffective makes me think there will be a time skip and I hate those so much.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Gyges posted:

Given how All Might looks, I'm worried that Deku is gonna end up looking like the X-Man Strong Guy.

lmao

I think he's gonna have a spiderman physique, you just need to make his proportions a bit more "heroic", no need for drastic stuff.

Edit: i mean this was supposed to be the training arc but this manga moves so fast. Somebody should tell the editors it's time to slow it down guys

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Fabricated posted:

the fact that his power progression is so minor and has proven ineffective makes me think there will be a time skip and I hate those so much.

He's plenty strong when he's only at 5%, and doesn't break bones then. It's just that when he needs to punch out a super-strong villain who has killed heroes before he can't really afford to hold back. His progression is fine.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

He's plenty strong when he's only at 5%, and doesn't break bones then. It's just that when he needs to punch out a super-strong villain who has killed heroes before he can't really afford to hold back. His progression is fine.

well all the villains just powered up, they "mean business" now. He either changes his tactic or something, otherwise they wouldn't put so much heavy foreshadow on his wounds and literally useless arms
like ok, deku had to do it, but running around like that is irresponsible and dangerous. He needs to think of the future and actually grow to meet these people

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 9, 2016

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Wild Horses posted:

well all the villains just powered up, they "mean business" now. He either changes his tactic or something, otherwise they wouldn't put so much heavy foreshadow on his wounds and literally useless arms
like ok, deku had to do it, but running around like that is irresponsible and dangerous. He needs to think of the future and actually grow to meet these people

Deku is crippled for life after this incident and instead the story focuses on sticky grape guy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

That was what his training with Gran Torino was supposed to do. But then he kept breaking his bones anyway!!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

People on the "steal back the quirk bit" for A4O forget that O4A cannot be forcibly taken, allmight even told deku to not worry, unless you intend to pass on the quirk someone else taking your dna does not work.

Also on deku going from "quirkless" in the eyes of the world, well quirks are weird and he seriously buffed up in the summer so he could go "I couldn't use it before because I would have literally died from it and my body naturally limited it until I was physically strong enough to survive the use." and people would probably accept that based on how badly it can gently caress him up as is.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

AtomikKrab posted:

People on the "steal back the quirk bit" for A4O forget that O4A cannot be forcibly taken, allmight even told deku to not worry, unless you intend to pass on the quirk someone else taking your dna does not work.

This only applies to passing OfA to someone else through DNA. All Might said nothing about how OfA would hold up to being stolen by a quirk.

CaptianKatsura fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 9, 2016

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The thing that's sort of interesting but also something I'd dread them getting into is the true nature of quirks.

The discussion between All Might and his police buddy revealed that just copying DNA via cloning or gene therapy or whathaveyou doesn't produce a quirk. There's some other factor that is needed for it to materialize which is why AFO and OFA are unimaginable to people even now. Quirks are part of you in some fundamental way.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CaptianKatsura posted:

This only applies to passing OfA to someone else through DNA. All Might said nothing about how OfA would hold up to being stolen by a quirk.

Actually he has a point
Through all the time OfA has existed I cant believe that AfO hasnt tried.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Actually he has a point
Through all the time OfA has existed I cant believe that AfO hasnt tried.

I'm not saying he's wrong, just that we don't have any actual information regarding whether or not AfO can steal OfA.

And I'd say it is possible that AfO hasn't tried. I barely remember the story of OfA and AfO, but didn't AfO think that his brother was quirkless? If so, he would have no knowledge of OfA from his brother, and the only OfA wielder that we know has come into contact with AfO is All Might, if I'm remembering correctly. So whether or not AfO works on OfA is still a complete mystery.

I have a pretty lovely memory, though, so please point out anything that's wrong.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

AtomikKrab posted:

Also on deku going from "quirkless" in the eyes of the world, well quirks are weird and he seriously buffed up in the summer so he could go "I couldn't use it before because I would have literally died from it and my body naturally limited it until I was physically strong enough to survive the use." and people would probably accept that based on how badly it can gently caress him up as is.

unless of course they got a hold of his medical records showing his extra toe bone

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Elfgames posted:

unless of course they got a hold of his medical records showing his extra toe bone

I wonder if Deku has that extra toe bone now. Apparently you can't duplicate a quirk via cloning or gene therapy, but did anyone try surgically attaching someone else's toe?

oh man what if you get an extra toe bone for every quirk you have, All For One would have HUGE loving toes

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
It's the other way around. Quirkless people have "extra" toe bones, which are the same number regular humans have. Being more evolved, people with quirks got rid of the extra bone in the pinky toes since they don't really need them.

Although I think it's explained that there's enough lee-way to say that it isn't completely evolved out just yet, so in-story Deku can claim that he has some mutation that means extra toe but still has a quirk.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CaptianKatsura posted:

I'm not saying he's wrong, just that we don't have any actual information regarding whether or not AfO can steal OfA.

And I'd say it is possible that AfO hasn't tried. I barely remember the story of OfA and AfO, but didn't AfO think that his brother was quirkless? If so, he would have no knowledge of OfA from his brother, and the only OfA wielder that we know has come into contact with AfO is All Might, if I'm remembering correctly. So whether or not AfO works on OfA is still a complete mystery.

I have a pretty lovely memory, though, so please point out anything that's wrong.

iirc All Might hinted that an OfA user has fought AfO, in some capacity, before.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Welp.

Guess Bakugou's gone.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Welp.

Guess Bakugou's gone.

We've got Tokoyami back, so we're not living in the darkest timeline at least

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Lord of Hats posted:

We've got Tokoyami back, so we're not living in the darkest timeline at least

Heh heh heh.

I appreciate a good pun.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Welp.

Guess Bakugou's gone.

Well I wanted there to be lasting consequences to this villain attack and I got what I wanted.

There's also some speculation from the /a/ thread about how Hori is intentionally setting Deku up to be sidelined in order to bring the side cast into the forefront for the next storyline. I'd be down for that as a kind of prelude to finding out what's going to happen to Bakugou.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Deku's eye got shut? He is hosed UP, Ippo style

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Slime posted:

Deku is crippled for life after this incident and instead the story focuses on sticky grape guy.

Mineta Hero Academia

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I wonder who All Might would have chosen to pass OfA on to if Deku hadn't come along. Nobody else seems like someone he would click with quite as much, so who would he have settled on?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The Lord of Hats posted:

I wonder who All Might would have chosen to pass OfA on to if Deku hadn't come along. Nobody else seems like someone he would click with quite as much, so who would he have settled on?

Hm, given the timing, I'm guessing he was going to scout someone from the new class at UA. Powers are irrelevant, so personality, demeanor and ability to handle themselves under fire is paramount. Generally, their ability to look like a hero.

Iida might be a good choice, but he's not great at inspiring people.
Shoji seems to be drat-near unflappable.
Tsuyu has shown herself to be very personable and solid under stress.

My money is on Tsuyu.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tsuyu would have been an amazing Symbol of Peace, given what Recovery Girl's said about her. I want to see that now.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Fowl posted:

Mineta Hero Academia

A shounen comedy about one boy's quest to see boobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

iirc All Might hinted that an OfA user has fought AfO, in some capacity, before.

OfA and AfO have fought multiple times only last time did OfA have enough power to beat the poo poo out of AfO.