Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

James Garfield posted:

Who knows why they thought that was a good idea. They really like lying about game mechanics though.

Because Wargaming is actually pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Russians cruisers:

I think the "mini-battlecruisers" at tier V and X look really interesting. The Kirov should out-range any BB at it's tier and at the same time citadel any cruisers showing their broadside.

The Moskva is a beast on paper and looks as if it could outgun any other tier X cruisers, but at the same time the ship looks huge and might be an easy target.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

xthetenth posted:

Fun thing I found while trying to use a bad player's link with the name swapped for mine is that the number seems to be the bit keyed to your stats. The name is just to put it in the page.

http://warships.today/player/1001205971/na/DemonR6

Funny because I don't have that account name.. I am this dude

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Evernoob posted:

I just missed all 9 of my Minekaze's torps when sailing 2km from the opposing Independence.
That's it, I quit for today.

This is actually a common issue for people not familiar with how the grey line works at close range. When you're knife-fighting somebody, you need to be aware that the grey line aims at the CENTER of the enemy ship. You will need to aim ahead of the grey line, or the lag between firing torps will be so significant (the the grey line doesn't compensate for it a whole lot) that the torps will slide behind the person, or otherwise impact the rear of their ship.

You also don't have to fire all your torps at once unless you're literally about to die. Waiting between salvos lets you set up guaranteed torp hit situations against more agile opponents.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Is there any circumstance where you'd want to shoot AP from a destroyer? Are their guns typically enough to pen same or lower tier cruisers or should you just always shoot HE?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

squidflakes posted:

Is there any circumstance where you'd want to shoot AP from a destroyer? Are their guns typically enough to pen same or lower tier cruisers or should you just always shoot HE?

You can citadel poorly armored light cruisers, which with rapid fire guns can actually surprise them and win you a gunfight. It's hilarious when it happens.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Russian dds can definitely citadel cruiser broadsides and pen or half pen bb superstructure, but will likely not be able to cit. US can to a lesser extent. I dunno if I can recommend it on IJN. I had a smoke hidden lo yang take off 1-2k per salvo to my nagato broadside once.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Farragut AP cannot penetrate a Furutaka. I tried for a really long time from within 7km while waiting for my torpedoes to reload and not one single shot would take, even 90 degrees on to the side.

Since then my destroyer AP adventures have been in Russian boats only. The Farragut is back to lighting fires on battleships and defending cap zones.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

MrKatharsis posted:

Farragut AP cannot penetrate a Furutaka. I tried for a really long time from within 7km while waiting for my torpedoes to reload and not one single shot would take, even 90 degrees on to the side.

Since then my destroyer AP adventures have been in Russian boats only. The Farragut is back to lighting fires on battleships and defending cap zones.

Good to know.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Wickes AP can citadel Konigsberg though.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

squidflakes posted:

I did have a bizarre circumstance today where I was shooting a Hatsuharu with the 127mm guns on my Kagero. He was down to like 180hp and I probably hit him with 6-8 HE shells that did no damage. Im guessing his bow and amidships were completely damage saturated. I actually switched to AP just to see if I could finish him off but someone else blapped him while I was reloading. So other than that extremely rare confluence of events, you want to use HE with the US and IJN DDs. I dont know about the Polish one but I suspect its the same way. I havent played the Russian line since they nerfed the Kiev. Sure you could pen cruisers at close range, but unless their guns were pointed the other way I thought the risk was usually not worth the reward as 6" or 8" high explosive can whittle you down really quick and you are way harder to hit at like 10km than you are at 7km.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

squidflakes posted:

It depends, you need a fairly good knowledge of the various cruisers to make a decision on it. Generally it's not a bad idea at very low ranges vs most IJN cruisers, the Pensacola and a fair chunk of the german cruiser line. It does require them being broadside to you, obviously.

As an example, i did awful things to a Pensacola that went broadside to me in a Fubuki.

Really though, chucking a few ap shells down range isn't going to hurt much given the speed of reload of most of the destroyer lines.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MrKatharsis posted:

My Farragut pens Aobas with AP though :shrug:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

http://warships.today/player/1005818637/na/guido_anselmi

i only played once in div with goons - but i also took a 3+ month hiatus. i'm back and kickin rear end solo. :3:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

squidflakes posted:

When you have a nice, flat angle to hit. Even against BBs. Just don't fire into the belt, fire into the superstructure where it meets the deck, or fire into the areas above the waterline along the bow and stern. HE damage falls off quickly when hitting superstructure, AP shells typically do damage to non-superstructure areas of the ship. The angle where AP becomes better DPS over HE comes earlier for RUS and IJN DDs, since US DDs have such floaty shells.

Basic rule of thumb to follow, though, if HE isn't doing damage, switch to AP. If AP isn't doing damage, go back to HE. If your target is already on fire... you should probably be using AP, too. Don't AP other DDs unless you're a gambling man who knows what he's doing (or you're shooting a Khabarovsk).

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Hazdoc posted:

If your target is already on fire... you should probably be using AP, too.

If you've got good aim and have a good fire percentage, you can set multiple fires.
It's so fun to do that on a ship that's already used their repair party.

That said, after getting 50 billion fires for the anime ship, I'm glad to be back to AP.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Is it possible to citadel another DD, ever? I've never seen it happen.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

Is it possible to citadel another DD, ever? I've never seen it happen.

No, destroyers don't have citadels. This is why HE is a better choice as you can crit and mess up various parts of their ships that won't be so extensive with AP. It is a beautiful thing when you catch a DD with a full broadside HE salvo in a battleship too. I've only done it once because the person made it pretty obvious he was going to round an island and there was only him and one other ship alive on the enemy team anyway so I loaded HE in case he showed up.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you've got good aim and have a good fire percentage, you can set multiple fires.
It's so fun to do that on a ship that's already used their repair party.

That said, after getting 50 billion fires for the anime ship, I'm glad to be back to AP.

Firing HE into the bow, stern, or midsection to cause a 2nd fire is a perfectly valid tactic, but as your HE will be impacting armored sections of the ship, you are unlikely to be doing any damage with those HE shells, unless they're dropping into an unarmored deck. Most ships have enough bow/stern armor to prevent 5 inch HE shells from causing damage at most angles, and some BBs have armored decks, making superstructure hits the only kind to deal damage. I mean, you can certainly just shoot the HE in hopes of a fire and ignore the fact that you're dealing no damage, but that's just as much of a gamble as firing AP.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
If you destroy anti air guns it will deal a lot of damages to the armored deck of battleships.
Up to the point when they do t have any gun left.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JuffoWup posted:

No, destroyers don't have citadels. This is why HE is a better choice as you can crit and mess up various parts of their ships that won't be so extensive with AP. It is a beautiful thing when you catch a DD with a full broadside HE salvo in a battleship too. I've only done it once because the person made it pretty obvious he was going to round an island and there was only him and one other ship alive on the enemy team anyway so I loaded HE in case he showed up.

When the PAXMarblehead thing was still going on, before I uninstalled this game, I got my X letter by blasting a DD with a full broadside from a New York with 5 seconds left in the game as his torps were closing in. We basically both bet that game on that strike and my bullets moved faster than his torpedoes. It was one of the most exciting things that ever happened in this game.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Krogort posted:

If you destroy anti air guns it will deal a lot of damages to the armored deck of battleships.
Up to the point when they do t have any gun left.

Damage to secondaries or anti-aircraft batteries (any module, really) is not also dealt to the ship's own HP. You are very capable of destroying even primary armament turrets while not dealing a point of damage to the enemy ship. This is most noticeable with dive bombers, as the HE bomb they drop might not actually hit the ship, but when it explodes on the water, it's explosion radius can include the ship inside of it, doing no damage and causing no fire, but still damaging modules and potentially even destroying guns.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Hazdoc posted:

Damage to secondaries or anti-aircraft batteries (any module, really) is not also dealt to the ship's own HP. You are very capable of destroying even primary armament turrets while not dealing a point of damage to the enemy ship. This is most noticeable with dive bombers, as the HE bomb they drop might not actually hit the ship, but when it explodes on the water, it's explosion radius can include the ship inside of it, doing no damage and causing no fire, but still damaging modules and potentially even destroying guns.

A while back I was in a IJN cruiser and got clipped by long range BB fire right at the start of the battle, which knocked out my propulsion. I deployed damage repair and 10 seconds later exactly the same thing happened again. While I was sitting there idly waiting for the repair cooldown to tick over I was surprised to noticed I hadn't lost a single point of health in the battle so far.

I guess now I know why. Still the weirdest beginning to a match.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Whenever I lose my engine because a shell hit the water near me, I figure it's because the explosion scared the chief engineer and caused him to choke on his doughnut. Repairing the engine means he finally coughed it up.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I don't play enough and I'm coming back after a few months of not sinking poo poo, but I might be alright?

http://warships.today/player/1001841924/na/dublish

Actually, you can tell I suck because of all the American torpedoes I use.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

dublish posted:

I don't play enough and I'm coming back after a few months of not sinking poo poo, but I might be alright?

Fishing for compliments or something?
Cuz you can try posting a selfie on facebook with a comment like, "God I look gross"

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

dublish posted:

You suck.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Can anyone give me some tips for maneuvering in this game? So far it just seems like, "don't be the first ship to get spotted" and "bring as any guns on target" are the two big things.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Subyng posted:

Can anyone give me some tips for maneuvering in this game? So far it just seems like, "don't be the first ship to get spotted" and "bring as any guns on target" are the two big things.

Depends, do you want maneuvering tips for battleships? destroyers? cruisers? carriers? For even more specific tips, what nation, and/or what ship?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Subyng posted:

Always turn into a torpedo attack, don't turn away. Always try and angle your armor.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
If you have the option of skipping the Izumo, I'm officially recommending it.

I would rather have a Nagato, than this piece of poo poo that takes minutes to turn/decrease/increase speed. You're a big sitting target for any destroyer.

Your guns have the worst dispersion I've ever seen.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Izumo is the 4th best BB in the game and the most accurate BB in the game.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

kaesarsosei posted:

Izumo is the 4th best BB in the game and the most accurate BB in the game.

The only BB I wouldn't take over it is the Arkansas Beta.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

jownzy posted:

Is this an Arkansas Beta with or without 9M credits worth of upgrades?

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

jownzy posted:

If you want to have a go at my favourite gun barge, you better do it by air. In which case you win.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I just purchased the FCS upgrade on the Izumo, trip report pending.

People told me it actually fixes the spread. They could be playing a prank.

Edit: Works. Buy the FCS. My first 2 salvos = 3 citadels, 2 dead ships, from 20km away.

jownzy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 13, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

jownzy posted:

I just purchased the FCS upgrade on the Izumo, trip report pending.

People told me it actually fixes the spread. They could be playing a prank.

Edit: Works. Buy the FCS. My first 2 salvos = 3 citadels, 2 dead ships, from 20k away.

Thanks for the tip. I'm probably picking up this dumb thing tonight or something.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

wdarkk posted:

Thanks for the tip. I'm probably picking up this dumb thing tonight or something.

It's no fluke, as you just witnessed.

I'm landing 6 of 9 shells on Yammy's 25km away. Citadels even. Amazing.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

How in the hell does that even work? FCS upgrades aren't supposed to change the dispersion. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

El Disco posted:

How in the hell does that even work? FCS upgrades aren't supposed to change the dispersion. :psyduck:

Wargaming?

Also, I logged in for the first time to see the Russian Cruisers...the Moskva better haul loving rear end for having all that 'unused' space on the aft deck. There had better be one hell of a loving powerplant under there. 210,000hp to 120k/155k/159k for US/Ger/Jpn. Even if it didn't originally have one, you'd think given all that space they'd fit in a catapult.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 13, 2016