Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tunga posted:

Multitasking in the N Preview seems horribly unintuitive in terms of what the home and overview buttons do in various different states. There also doesn't seem to be any way to swap the content of the left side of the screen, only the right. Nice idea and the Pixel feels really good with two apps up but the mechanics of organising/managing what it is on the screen needs a lot of work.

I don't know, I think they did a pretty good job without making it overly complex. A lot of reviews thus far have been praising it for being far more intuitive than Samsung's implementation and more functional than Apple's

Home seems pretty standard if you are in split view. The primary app (always on the left or top) slides out of the way so you can select a new secondary app.

Also, while there's no button to swap, you can do so in pretty much two actions. Just drag the right app's window to the left so it's the only app, then re-select the app that was previously primary from the overview button to put it on the right.

The real missing killer feature is the inability to have chrome split across two sides. You can fake it by doing chrome beta in one and chrome stable in the other, but that's not as elegant.

So far, most things seem to be working well. As Ars pointed out, Android actually has a distinct advantage over Apple with respect to split screen since there are so many resolutions and aspect ratios already out there. So, as long as the apps flow well normally for all screen types, there aren't that many quirks to be had. Facebook, of course, stands out as one that doesn't work properly. They added a landscape view awhile ago which ads a 2nd column for suggestions and such and it seems to be hard-coded to show up in landscape regardless of what the window size is. It would be nice to be able to shrink it down to 1/3rd of the screen while other stuff is done in the 2/3rds area, but the layout breaks at that point. This then goes back to "wouldn't it be nice if I could run chrome side by side with itself so I could use the mobile site?"

Anyways, I would suspect that apps that use hard coded orientations to break with split screen as they are going to try to use a landscape layout on a window that is likely more portrait in orientation. Maybe this will finally be the push we need to kill that behavior once and for all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Smythe posted:

I'm continuously flabbergasted that there's a living, breathing contingent of stockholmed sycophants who are are so deranged from using bad software for so long that they spend their days F5ing Android Police in an attempt to post an epic Gotcha at a man for simply suggesting they use well designed software that respects them as a user. Simply incredible.

At the risk of getting involved in this discussion, the quick settings in M, works a way I like. Pull down the shade, and you just get noficitations, pull it down a second time, and then you get the quick settings. You can also do two finger swipe, but focusing on the first behavior, does N work like that?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Anyways, I would suspect that apps that use hard coded orientations to break with split screen as they are going to try to use a landscape layout on a window that is likely more portrait in orientation. Maybe this will finally be the push we need to kill that behavior once and for all.
Our app uses the proper sw600dp-landscape to switch to the tablet view and when I put it in split screen it properly displays as if it is on a phone. So basically Facebook are just a bunch of idiots.

One thing I noticed is that our app looks bad when you make the window roughly square, so that's a thing that we'll need to think about in future which never really happened in the past.

I image you can do the Chrome side-by-side thing on a phone because you can tell tabs to show up as separate tasks in overview? On tablet it's impossible though, and you're right, this is definitely a thing that it needs. Hopefully Chrome will be updated with proper support for this.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

At the risk of getting involved in this discussion, the quick settings in M, works a way I like. Pull down the shade, and you just get noficitations, pull it down a second time, and then you get the quick settings. You can also do two finger swipe, but focusing on the first behavior, does N work like that?
Two finger swipe still works, but swiping twice with one finger doesn't work for the second one, which feels really off to me and I hope they add it back. Currently you have to tap the down arrow to get to quick settings if you're already in notifications.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

grimcreaper posted:

Too bad for the price point, even with 25% off, the Pixel C isnt worth getting. More so when you consider how much their keyboard costs and the serious lack of features it has at that price point(big one, no backlit keyboard, for a $150.00 cost, what the hell Google?). Where the Surface Pro did things right, the Pixel C did almost all of it wrong.

But, its a step in the right direction and i really hope to see a better product next iteration. Android Tablets are fantastic, except for the lack of Flash. I really want to see Google step up their game a bit.

Flash is dead fyi.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

vyst posted:

Flash is dead fyi.

More like undead. Not dead enough.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dies the N Preview have any way to send feedback?

I'm testing it for a few days and found a bug with Sharing (as in, you can't haha).

Also, there's apparently a radio fix on the Nexus 6 since I'm currently in a place where I had no signal whatsoever from the time I've had the device and now I've got signal just fine.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Marshmallow has a "Send feedback about this device" thing in About Phone, I assume it's still there in N.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

repiv posted:

Marshmallow has a "Send feedback about this device" thing in About Phone, I assume it's still there in N.

Got it! Thanks :)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

If you got it through Android Beta there's a button in the Quick Settings for it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

The real missing killer feature is the inability to have chrome split across two sides. You can fake it by doing chrome beta in one and chrome stable in the other, but that's not as elegant.

So far, most things seem to be working well. As Ars pointed out, Android actually has a distinct advantage over Apple with respect to split screen since there are so many resolutions and aspect ratios already out there. So, as long as the apps flow well normally for all screen types, there aren't that many quirks to be had. Facebook, of course, stands out as one that doesn't work properly. They added a landscape view awhile ago which ads a 2nd column for suggestions and such and it seems to be hard-coded to show up in landscape regardless of what the window size is. It would be nice to be able to shrink it down to 1/3rd of the screen while other stuff is done in the 2/3rds area, but the layout breaks at that point. This then goes back to "wouldn't it be nice if I could run chrome side by side with itself so I could use the mobile site?"
Chrome on one side, Metal on the other.

Tunga posted:

Our app uses the proper sw600dp-landscape to switch to the tablet view and when I put it in split screen it properly displays as if it is on a phone. So basically Facebook are just a bunch of idiots.

One thing I noticed is that our app looks bad when you make the window roughly square, so that's a thing that we'll need to think about in future which never really happened in the past.
What, you haven't tested on the Pantech Pocket?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://m.androidcentral.com/moving-forward-what-we-can-learn-android-n-developer-preview

A lot of supposition, but it seems logical. They noticed that more and more stuff is being moved into the OEM and Vendor partitions, even Google stuff. This seems to be going toward the direction of a "clean" system partition that could be standardized between all devices. This would essentially turn Android into a framework more than an OS, but it would allow Google to update Android independently of the OEM (beyond what they currently do with framework services.)

In the past, several OEMs made claims about how they were looking to decouple their modifications from the underlying OS and use only standard APIs to make it easier for them to build updates. This may be the ultimate evolution of that. The underlying OS will be isolated on its own partition that Google could patch on their own schedule.

So. in the future, you may have the situation where your device LOOKs like a 3 versions old install, but the core under it is fully up to date.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

http://m.androidcentral.com/moving-forward-what-we-can-learn-android-n-developer-preview

A lot of supposition, but it seems logical. They noticed that more and more stuff is being moved into the OEM and Vendor partitions, even Google stuff. This seems to be going toward the direction of a "clean" system partition that could be standardized between all devices. This would essentially turn Android into a framework more than an OS, but it would allow Google to update Android independently of the OEM (beyond what they currently do with framework services.)

In the past, several OEMs made claims about how they were looking to decouple their modifications from the underlying OS and use only standard APIs to make it easier for them to build updates. This may be the ultimate evolution of that. The underlying OS will be isolated on its own partition that Google could patch on their own schedule.

So. in the future, you may have the situation where your device LOOKs like a 3 versions old install, but the core under it is fully up to date.

Probably just turn /system into what they are doing with Google Play Services, that makes a lot of sense.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I thought that swiping down twice or doing a two finger swipe from the notification area to access the toggles/settings gear was a pain in the rear end at times. There are other ways to access it.

You can swipe down once from notification bar and then tap on the grey notification area.

You can also (if you time it right) triple tap on the notification bar. The first tap lets you glance at the notification shade, the second tap holds it in place/keeps it on, the third tap is the same process as tapping on grey notification area to bring up toggles.

Also there were a few toggles that seem useless, but the version of Marshmallow on this phone allows System UI Tuner, so I can remove whatever toggles I think are stupid.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 10, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://phandroid.com/2016/03/10/android-n-summer-release-date/

OEMs are told that the final build of N will come this summer.

While on the surface that sounds soon, remember that summer doesn't end until Sept 22nd. So things may not be all that far off the schedule the past few years.

Then again, Jelly Bean came out in July. Perhaps we'll see a new Nexus tablet mid summer to launch this version due to split screen being the big feature, similar to the Nexus 7 2012.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 10, 2016

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I took the plunge on N on my nexus 6. I am quite pleased with how it performs so far, nothing broken and it seems my applications all work, even in windowed which is nice.

It may horribly go wrong later on though...

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I can confirm my new phone's operating system does not force feed adverts down my throat so i think it will be quite a nice update.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I'm curious as to why they're fiddling with Doze in N, given that it works simply and effectively as it is now; your phone works as usual during the day, but if you leave it alone on a table for a while it'll conserve power (because you're not using it) until you wake it again. Thus striking a neat balance between convenience (phone works) and utility (battery life).

I don't want my phone to go into PANIC NO POWER mode every time I put it in my pocket, that's overkill. Being able to wake up to a still-active phone if I forget to plug in the charging cable overnight is fine enough!

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Argyle posted:

Do any of the "battery calibration" tutorials out there actually work? I realize you're not calibrating the battery itself, but the OS's measurement of battery capacity.

Last night my Moto X 2014 instantly dropped from over 20% down to 1%. As a test, I started playing YouTube videos at full brightness to see how long it would last. It went for an hour before dying.

I just did a factory reset a few days ago, which fixed a bunch of small issues I was having, but the battery readings are still wonky.

My findings: No, it did not work. Phone still jumps from 15-20% down to 1% or turns itself off completely while showing a decent amount of juice remaining. Oh well.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

spincube posted:

I don't want my phone to go into PANIC NO POWER mode every time I put it in my pocket, that's overkill. Being able to wake up to a still-active phone if I forget to plug in the charging cable overnight is fine enough!

I'm going to take a wild guess that they have probably thought about this a bit and your phone will still work

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Are there any ways you can change what's on the "always on" display on the S7? I don't think I could live without the active display on my droid maxx which is why I've been considering just going with the 2014 Turbo (it still has really nice specs too) but if there's a way I can change what's on the S7 then I might go with that. Touchwiz isn't a HUGE issue since I'm going to be using Nova anyway.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

MikusR posted:

Also in N from Touchwiz http://i.imgur.com/VM1vM3m.png Always play mono audio.
And here I was looking at mono headsets to buy. I guess now I'll just buy that Nexus 5X after all!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Argyle posted:

My findings: No, it did not work. Phone still jumps from 15-20% down to 1% or turns itself off completely while showing a decent amount of juice remaining. Oh well.

I have a 2014 Moto X as well. Most of the time when the battery meter hits 15% it will kick into battery saver mode and then shut off right afterward.

The batteries on the launch-day 2014 models are only 18 months old. You'd think it would take longer for battery wear to manifest, but perhaps not.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Argyle posted:

nimper posted:

I have a 2014 Moto X as well. Most of the time when the battery meter hits 15% it will kick into battery saver mode and then shut off right afterward.

The batteries on the launch-day 2014 models are only 18 months old. You'd think it would take longer for battery wear to manifest, but perhaps not.

My 2014 Moto X was also doing the same thing. Actually it once even cut off when it said 29%.

It's one of the reasons I got a new phone.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Modaco figured out how to enable Marshmallow's adoptable storage on the S7 and S7 Edge using ADB, no root required

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BottleKnight posted:

Installed the N beta on my Pixel C just for the multiwindow. Works well so far, but I've only used it for about half an hour. Works almost identically to how it works on the iPad Pro but you can scroll the divider in both directions.

And it kind of makes the Pixel C worth buying IMO so there's that.

edit: one of the quick toggles google put in was to invert all colors, and it is trippy as hell, holy poo poo
That toggle is night mode. Sepia tone so its less blinding in the dark, I guess.

If the Pixel C was about $75 cheaper and an 8" size I'd have bought one to replace my N7. As is, I already have a surface, I don't need two large screen tablets.

But I'm also one of the crazies who put N on my daily usage 6P, so shrug.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Rastor posted:

It's one of the reasons I got a new phone.

Yep. Almost to that point for me. Very close to pulling the trigger on a 6P and getting on Fi.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

This is going to be such a clusterfuck. Can't wait to see people running their $700 phones with a card that writes at a couple megs a second and wondering why poo poo is so slow or why their entire phone crashed and they lost everything.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

BeastOfExmoor posted:

This is going to be such a clusterfuck. Can't wait to see people running their $700 phones with a card that writes at a couple megs a second and wondering why poo poo is so slow or why their entire phone crashed and they lost everything.

Still beats the poo poo out of apps poorly supporting Move-to-SD.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

nimper posted:

Yep. Almost to that point for me. Very close to pulling the trigger on a 6P and getting on Fi.

Why the 6P and not the S7? Just to get on Fi?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

two_beer_bishes posted:

Why the 6P and not the S7? Just to get on Fi?

The S7 is twice as expensive as the 6P for not much more benefit.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I want to make sure I understand this correctly...in-app purchases on a restricted profile are just not possible?

Daughter wants to buy some in-game stuff on her restricted profile, but, of course, it says "You don't have permission to make purchases." She doesn't have a Google account, and I can't see a way to un-restrict her account, add my Google account, make the purchase and then re-restrict her profile...

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

BeastOfExmoor posted:

No sympathy for someone who installed the barrel, the trigger, the safety, took off the safety, pointed it, and shot themselves in the foot on that one.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

BeastOfExmoor posted:

lol no one is actually going to do this on the s7 besides people who know it will break poo poo. None-issue, really.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
People looking to intentionally break their poo poo. Why you would want adoptable storage on a $700 phone with 32 gigs of UFS storage is beyond me.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I've been playing with the adopted storage feature on my old Galaxy S4 and it doesn't seem nearly as awful of an idea as you guys let on. Android will supposedly warn you if your media is slower than Class 10, so you have to go out of your way to intentionally shoot yourself in the foot. It also doesn't seem to prefer moving the apps themselves (and other performance-critical stuff, I suppose) over to the card unless they specifically allow this. If you look at what it places out there, it's some app-generated data and media (photos, music, podcasts, browser downloads, etc.).

It's not really putting your two filesystems together in a blender. It looks like it just makes symlinks (or something like that) for certain directories which point to your card, so your apps won't notice that they're actually placing your podcasts on different storage. I think it's actually pretty elegant if you're permanently keeping your SD card installed and/or have an encrypted device.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Desk Lamp posted:

People looking to intentionally break their poo poo. Why you would want adoptable storage on a $700 phone with 32 gigs of UFS storage is beyond me.

It's frankly ridiculous that Android still CANNOT get something as simple as a SDcard right in 2016. Just what exactly is so hard about making the SDcard purely as a media storage device and leaving all the system/app files in the much faster onboard flash, instead of Google and the OEMs flip-flopping all over the place for the past few years. These jokers aren't doing any favors to their bottom line considering how unprofitable the Android handset business already is.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

azurite posted:

I've been playing with the adopted storage feature on my old Galaxy S4 and it doesn't seem nearly as awful of an idea as you guys let on. Android will supposedly warn you if your media is slower than Class 10, so you have to go out of your way to intentionally shoot yourself in the foot. It also doesn't seem to prefer moving the apps themselves (and other performance-critical stuff, I suppose) over to the card unless they specifically allow this. If you look at what it places out there, it's some app-generated data and media (photos, music, podcasts, browser downloads, etc.).

It's not really putting your two filesystems together in a blender. It looks like it just makes symlinks (or something like that) for certain directories which point to your card, so your apps won't notice that they're actually placing your podcasts on different storage. I think it's actually pretty elegant if you're permanently keeping your SD card installed and/or have an encrypted device.

That's pretty much how Samsung devices handle sd cards, except you can remove the card whenever you please.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I want to make sure I understand this correctly...in-app purchases on a restricted profile are just not possible?

Daughter wants to buy some in-game stuff on her restricted profile, but, of course, it says "You don't have permission to make purchases." She doesn't have a Google account, and I can't see a way to un-restrict her account, add my Google account, make the purchase and then re-restrict her profile...

I don't know anything about restricted profiles, but if the IAP is like a new feature or level the app will need the Google account to remain connected as it uses it to verify the purchase on launch.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Drm copyright mah freedoms away, I bought what I bought :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As 'beta' as N is right now, I'm really impressed on the Pixel C. Chrome (beta) is amazingly fast, faster than I've ever seen it on an Android device.

Battery life has been really good so far as well.

Other tricks the app switcher has picked up, double tap on it will bring up the last most used app. It's a great complement to split screen. It's almost like having 3 active apps. Anchor one on the left and double tap to swap between two on the right.