Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It gave me Ken who I hate playing, so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cat Machine posted:

just gonna go ahead and bump this again since it was literally the post before the alex news, hoping for some feedback so i can refine it a bit and maybe genericize it for other FGs

can you put a link to all the write ups at the end?

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Cat Machine posted:

I was screwing around at work today and made a quiz that helps people pick a SFV main. It's by no means perfect logic-wise (mainly used my own understanding of the game + the prima guide + popular consensus) but hopefully it can serve as a starting guide for players who are like 'WHO DO I MAIN':

https://tinyurl.com/sfv-main

The logic is all dumped right there inside the page so feel free to tear it apart.

e: no jokes about it suggesting chun no matter the input

i said i didn't need a fireball or a srk and it gave me ken

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

stoutfish posted:

The hero you deserve

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

just gonna go ahead and bump this again since it was literally the post before the alex news, hoping for some feedback so i can refine it a bit and maybe genericize it for other FGs

Should have a question that asks if you care that the character is trash because it gave me Laura (should have been Birdie because I know it in my heart he is my soulmate)

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
It gave me Karin after I went with long range, fireballs, and defensive options. Hmm...

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

stoutfish posted:

The responses push a character's suitability up but don't negatively affect other characters, which is maybe something I should add to make it tighter.

e.g. Saying "I dont need a fireball" boosts your suitability for characters like Zangief and R. Mika but doesn't affect your Ken rating negatively.

Chances are the other questions made it seem like you were a good match for Ken and fireball-less characters didn't rate well in your other responses.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

quiz gave my ryu because i voted for all the bells and whistles for a scrub level player but i have a hard time creating pressure with him. when i chose offensive and deprioritized the special moves i got birdie and cammy. they seem like polar opposites and each plays about 1/2 of ryu's game much better than him.
I'm gonna try them out!

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Quiz gave me vega.

time to quit

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Real hurthling! posted:

I asked before, but there was update news and it got lost. are there any other projectiles that ryu cant tatsu through besides sim and fangs arcing ones?

I think Vega's rose is another one that can't be tatsu dodged? (why would you though)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Quiz gave me Mika who is already my main, followed by Birdie

Best quiz ever

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Art direction for Alex is real bad

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Booyah- posted:

Kinda looks like Sabertooth.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I don't really see the need for alex, Birdie Mika Laura zangief are already a spectrum of grappler types.

But i'm just upset because there is no viper or poison and we dont know where juri is coming in this 6 months.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

quiz gave me 3 characters that 100% fit my style of play: dictator, dhalsim, and birdie. i don't play them because they are all really good characters, but great quiz.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
There's also a lot of questions that are somewhere in the middle like "do you want a reversal?" "yeah wouldn't hurt" that counts out a lot of characters and it should really add some fraction of a point to anyone who has one.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SectumSempra posted:

I don't really see the need for alex, Birdie Mika Laura zangief are already a spectrum of grappler types.

But i'm just upset because there is no viper or poison and we dont know where juri is coming in this 6 months.

i think the graphic with the silhouettes that was released when they announced the dlc is probably the order. it started with alex then guile then rog then the 4th and 5th were ibuki and iuri but i don't remember the order and urien was last.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

cams posted:

quiz gave me 3 characters that 100% fit my style of play: dictator, dhalsim, and birdie. i don't play them because they are all really good characters, but great quiz.

Man I wish I could force you to play a good character

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Booyah- posted:

His overalls were much better. He looks like Birdie from the waist down now.

EDIT: I guess that also has to do with the fact that he's much bulkier around the midsection now.

my girlfriend is Legos fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 11, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

I like bad characters too but I also don't only play them. (well bedman is actually good, amane is the only blaze blue character I'm comfortable with even though he has like 1-2 advantageous match ups and even those are 'lol don't get hit in an anime game or u ded' type match ups. he's just so fab and weird that i love it)

But then again usually they are charming gimmicky enough that I'm fine. I'm fine with casually loving around with laura, because something about this game feels eerily over simplistic if you catch my drift? Like even the most complex technical skill might be walking slightly forward in combos and finding the right tk distance for dhalsim (until I found out the inputs are SO lax you can just press the punches late instead of using a tk motion) It seems like resets are all you need to learn. (in terms of more advanced input practicing etc)

Maybe challenge mode will show me what I dont get about rashid and laura. Like how they are complete characters.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 11, 2016

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I hope the mix up the order because waiting 4 months for Juri and Ibuki is no bueno

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

i think the graphic with the silhouettes that was released when they announced the dlc is probably the order. it started with alex then guile then rog then the 4th and 5th were ibuki and iuri but i don't remember the order and urien was last.

ugh can we just loving skip guile and balrog?

do we need guile right now? can you guys just use nash and not use his vtrigger or super.

Balrog just jab with birdie and occasionally use his HCF (qcf?) P.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 11, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

SectumSempra posted:

do we need guile right now? can you guys just use nash and not use his vtrigger or super.

REAL ZONER ANGRY POST

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SectumSempra posted:

guile has cooler hair and there are too many nash players that beat the gently caress out of me

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

REAL ZONER ANGRY POST

I know right? Where the hell is poison.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Guile is high priority because there still aren't enough blonde characters in SFV

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

Guile is high priority because there still aren't enough blonde characters in SFV

is necali the only one that has his hair change with color choice?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Cat Machine posted:

I was screwing around at work today and made a quiz that helps people pick a SFV main. It's by no means perfect logic-wise (mainly used my own understanding of the game + the prima guide + popular consensus) but hopefully it can serve as a starting guide for players who are like 'WHO DO I MAIN':

https://tinyurl.com/sfv-main

The logic is all dumped right there inside the page so feel free to tear it apart.

e: no jokes about it suggesting chun no matter the input

I got Ken who is my main so I think this is good

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

???

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.
I got Karin and Rashid, the quiz missed the one true answer

I think anyone who hates Ken is racist

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Okita posted:

I got Karin and Rashid, the quiz missed the one true answer

I think anyone who hates Ken is racist

:colbert:

I'm racist against mediocre white americans who try to shoryuken all their problems away.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Pomp posted:

jumps start slower

I was talking about what it fixes not what it is going to be

cams
Mar 28, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Man I wish I could force you to play a good character
well i picked up necalli who i actually think is real real good, but i guess most people don't see it that way. also fang cause i do miss charge characters. the real reason i wanted to play laura is that i've never really played a character that relies on setups to the degree that she does, and i wanted to force myself to work with that. learned some stuff, will keep playing her cause i like her kit. her bad matchups are just real, real bad.

also picked up fang and i love him but i do not think i could be really competitive with him

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

SectumSempra posted:

I'm racist against mediocre white americans who try to shoryuken all their problems away.

Ken is actually 3/4 Japanese and dyes his hair

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

Ken is actually 3/4 Japanese and dyes his hair

SectumSempra posted:

I'm racist against mediocre white americanKENSs who try to shoryuken all their problems away.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone here ordered from Arcade Shock? I'm about to get in on one of these Brook Converters.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

SectumSempra posted:

His mother is japanese.

Obviously someone doesn't know his canon!1!!!

Agoat posted:

Has anyone here ordered from Arcade Shock? I'm about to get in on one of these Brook Converters.

No, but they've been around forever, used to deal in Neogeo and arcade poo poo, and often are visible at EVO. They're not some fly-by-night operation.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Amerikens would have also been an acceptable change.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

cams posted:

well i picked up necalli who i actually think is real real good, but i guess most people don't see it that way. also fang cause i do miss charge characters. the real reason i wanted to play laura is that i've never really played a character that relies on setups to the degree that she does, and i wanted to force myself to work with that. learned some stuff, will keep playing her cause i like her kit. her bad matchups are just real, real bad.

also picked up fang and i love him but i do not think i could be really competitive with him

Would you say fang is fun?

I find that he feels kinda boring because his poison vs say, bang, elizabeth (p4a) or testament for example feels like its his primary method of damage as opposed to him being a cool character who also has poison as a damage tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Quiz gave me Chun and Vega, so yeah, it worked for me (GIMME GOOD NORMALS, EVERYTHING ELSE IS BLEH, I LIKE TO HOLD DOWN-BACK).