Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

What do you guys think is the best CCW to give a Legion Champion? I'm putting together a weird loyalist Night Lords list and the Nostraman Chainglaive seems ideal for its sometimes-AP2 powers and the fact that it still hits at initiative. Figuring I'll give him a Volkite Serpenta and that. Thoughts?

DrPop fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DrPop posted:

What do you guys think is the best CCW to give a Legion Champion? I'm putting together a weird loyalist Night Lords list and the Nostraman Chainglaive seems ideal for its sometimes-AP2 powers and the fact that it still hits at initiative. Figuring I'll give him a Volkite Serpenta and that. Thoughts?
I'm totally going to build a champion with a Terranic greatsword (S6 AP3, two-handed, and instant death) and then weep as his cool sword skitters off the armor of some sergeant. Or maybe laugh as he carves through a unit of dumb robots. I can dream. :gbsmith:

If I were playing Night Lords? Chainglaive all the way. Other than that, a single serpenta won't do a whole lot and I typically wouldn't bother upgrading a commander's pistol. A combi-weapon if I have the points and the use for one, but that's about it.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Would it be kosher if I were to use the 40k sanguinary guard models as assault sergeants in my BA army?

They were around and wore the same gold colored armour that they wear in 40k to even include the wrist mounted bolters and Mk4 Jump packs they have. Using them as sergeants is up to you, but from an actual fluff standpoint they are kind of their own thing outside of the normal command structure.

At the end of the day they are your toys so play with them however you want. Either way it should be interesting to see how FW ends up modeling them for 30k.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Goons, I have a line on a second full Calth set for $100. Should I get it? I'm leaning towards yes.

Help. :shepspends:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
How many marines do you already own?

Is the answer is 'less than three full x20 man tactical squads' then you know what you must do.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So far I have one Calth set with the 30 marines built as 20 tacticals and 10 support guys. I also have an extra dreadnought converted to be a dual kheres mortis-contemptor and five more terminators I got off of ebay. If I need to, I can sell the dreadnought and terminators from this new set.

I'll do it. :negative:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have a plastic Cataphractii helmet that they aren't using? My wife was cleaning up my workspace and lost one :smithicide:

edit: nvm, found it!

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 10, 2016

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Unsurprisingly a legion banehammer with some tyrants shooting missiles out the back trainwrecks an infiltrating alpha legion infantry list. People should really listen when you tell them a large part of your list idea before they make their list to play, a single sicaran venator does not constitute enough AT.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
My five calth tactical squads have been posted by the eBay seller. I'm on my way. :monocle:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Now that vindicators are in squadrons the laser vindicator looks like a tasty alternative to rapiers. Too bad it's in the crowded heavy support slot.

Hencoe posted:

Unsurprisingly a legion banehammer with some tyrants shooting missiles out the back trainwrecks an infiltrating alpha legion infantry list. People should really listen when you tell them a large part of your list idea before they make their list to play, a single sicaran venator does not constitute enough AT.

In our league we gave the thing armourbane so it can pack las sponsons and use the main cannon to even deadlier effect. We haven't gotten to the point of LOWs, but so far Hixson has not been impressed with his venator despite the buff.

TTerrible posted:

My five calth tactical squads have been posted by the eBay seller. I'm on my way. :monocle:

Hell yes. Welcome to 30k land.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Seems like the main (only) purpose of the Sicaran Venator is to shut down LOWs without having one of your own. E.g. when someone tries to ram a Typhon down your throat at 2k points, that's where the venator might shine.

Alternatively you grab a couple of grav rapiers/grav fist contemptors and you go to town on all vehicles.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Oh yeah, I run a pair of grav fist contemptors and they eat Spartans for lunch, doing that 5th HP isn't THAT hard to do.
My biggest issue with the venator is that it's ordinance, so sponsons are kind of wasted on it.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 10, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Stanyer89 posted:

They were around and wore the same gold colored armour that they wear in 40k to even include the wrist mounted bolters and Mk4 Jump packs they have. Using them as sergeants is up to you, but from an actual fluff standpoint they are kind of their own thing outside of the normal command structure.

At the end of the day they are your toys so play with them however you want. Either way it should be interesting to see how FW ends up modeling them for 30k.

The plan is to use them as sergeants. If FW decides to make their own sanguinary guards, I will keep using them as sergeants, if FW doesn't, I won't.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Safety Factor posted:

So far I have one Calth set with the 30 marines built as 20 tacticals and 10 support guys. I also have an extra dreadnought converted to be a dual kheres mortis-contemptor and five more terminators I got off of ebay. If I need to, I can sell the dreadnought and terminators from this new set.

I'll do it. :negative:

How are you equipping your Cataphractii? I ended up with ten, so I made a five-man squad of combi meltas with a chainfist in it and a five-man lightning claw squad I'm feeling some buyer's remorse for since they introduced a type of Terminator armor that can sweeping advance. Calth sets are a bit limited!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Seems like there's such a market for assault cannons from blood angel players that there is a recaster who specializes exclusively in them.

I don't know what to think.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

Seems like the main (only) purpose of the Sicaran Venator is to shut down LOWs without having one of your own. E.g. when someone tries to ram a Typhon down your throat at 2k points, that's where the venator might shine.

Yep. Unsurprisingly its pretty awful when all there is to shoot at is rhinos and infantry

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mango Polo posted:

Seems like there's such a market for assault cannons from blood angel players that there is a recaster who specializes exclusively in them.

I don't know what to think.

I've been genuinely considering getting the miniguns from Anvil Industries to tide me over. The new FW cannons look fantastic but it's going to be who knows how long before they're out.

What you should be thinking is "loving Blood Angels", probably.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

What are the odds we get a model (or hopefully a book) release tomorrow rather than tickets and a contest.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hencoe posted:

What are the odds we get a model (or hopefully a book) release tomorrow rather than tickets and a contest.

The same odds as Horus had for winning the Heresy.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rulebook Heavily posted:

How are you equipping your Cataphractii? I ended up with ten, so I made a five-man squad of combi meltas with a chainfist in it and a five-man lightning claw squad I'm feeling some buyer's remorse for since they introduced a type of Terminator armor that can sweeping advance. Calth sets are a bit limited!
Well, I kind of figure that cataphractii are for tackling mean mother fuckers with high toughness, 2+ saves, and/or strong melee attacks. With that in mind, my intent was to arm ten with a mix of powerfists and power axes with maybe a chainfist or two tossed in for good measure. FW makes a set of arms for the plastic kit with axes and they're mostly to save a few points and act as ablative wounds against shooting. Or I can take a squad of axes in low points games. That said, I plan on magnetizing a bunch of them so I can swap in lightning claws or heavy flamers if I want. I just feel that with the cataphractii's inability to sweep, they shouldn't be wasted on 3+ blobs. I know melta or plasma combi-weapons would be useful, but I need to look into that. Just how many to take in a squad that I actually want in close combat, that sort of thing. However, I play Dark Angels and if Forge World ever gets back to me on shoving stasis grenades into combi-grenade launchers I will totally take one of those things so they can clown on some WS3 dudes for a round. You know, for WS4 mirror matches. Can't get that sword bonus with axes/fists. :v:

The problem with cataphractii in general is that they need a transport. Badly. I'm kind of leaning towards a caestus assault ram somewhere down the line. :getin: I've also converted the praetor from Calth to be a primus medicae. I feel like that was a good decision. I'd still like some plastic tartaros dudes though.

Please note: All of this is conjecture based on no actual 30k experience. I am very likely extremely ignorant and talking out of my rear end while making poor decisions.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Dreadclaws are pretty neat for Terminators. Turn 2 charges are good.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

I am very likely extremely ignorant and talking out of my rear end while making poor decisions.

Welcome to wargaming, friend.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

The same odds as Horus had for winning the Heresy.

So in the bag until he threw like a chump?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

He never had a chance, going up against the will of the emperor.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
The moment I realized 30K was a thing for a brief moment I dared hope there'd be Squats. There are no Squats here.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

Dreadclaws are pretty neat for Terminators. Turn 2 charges are good.
I've thought about getting a Dreadclaw, but it doesn't have the guidance system every other drop pod does so threading the needle is a lot riskier. I was mostly looking at it as a delivery mechanism for a plasma repeater support squad though. Those things are nasty. The big downside to it for terminators is that you're limited to five guys.

TTerrible posted:

Welcome to wargaming, friend.
Ha. Oh, I know. Believe me, I know. I just don't want to sound like I know what I'm talking unless I actually know what I'm talking about. Unlike most hams, I guess.

MrSlam posted:

The moment I realized 30K was a thing for a brief moment I dared hope there'd be Squats. There are no Squats here.
While there aren't any models for squats, you can actually represent them using the militia list. There's a bunch of different traits you can mix and match two of for your army. One of them is abhumans and another represents a high tech civilization with nice armor and high-powered weaponry. Combine those two and you've got your squats.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hencoe posted:

Most likely no books for a bit longer, and I guess we're only getting some if the stuff show cased at the weekender. Maybe a surprise model around the warhammer fest whatever thing.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

MrSlam posted:

As Safety Factor is saying they have rules to represent them in the militia list. One of the designers even called it out as being deliberate if I remember correctly

But yeah, no land trains :(

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Ally squats with mechanicus. Make your own land trains.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Anybody who uses Battlescribe know how the hell to switch your RoW?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's easy, just don't use Battlescribe.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Stanyer89 posted:

Anybody who uses Battlescribe know how the hell to switch your RoW?

Switch or choose? If it's the latter, clicking "Master of the Legion" under any applicable Master of the Legion-haver should give you a bunch of options to choose your RoW.

To switch, just select MotL again and choose.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

You have to throw your phone against the wall

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hixson posted:

You have to throw your phone against the wall

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
It's under your Praetor's Master of the Legion.

But yeah, Battlescribe sucks. Pretty sure none of the points values are actually correct.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

BULBASAUR posted:

It's easy, just don't use Battlescribe.

You go to hell. BattleScribe supremacy

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Out of curiosity, those who don't use battlescribe, what if any army builder app do you guys use ?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

e: Or google sheets if you are a poor

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
If I couldnt work on lists while pooping then cloud it over to my work PC so I can print it in color at work I'd feel like I was in 1995

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

The Sisko posted:

Out of curiosity, those who don't use battlescribe, what if any army builder app do you guys use ?

Quartermaster uber alles.