Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zonekeeper posted:

Doesn't help that it's so reliant on TMs. I don't know how many times I've attempted to use one in Gen 1 only to toss it in the box around Cerulean/Vermilion (usually to make room for an Abra or Diglett). Its level up movelist sucks in early gens and it being so TM dependent means it takes a while to get a good set going. It would be serviceable if it got a STAB move that wasn't Poison Sting.

Dig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Forgot all about that. Yeah, a Nidoking with Dig will get you pretty drat far now that you mention it.

I'm one of those item hoarders that saves those one-time things only to never use them, so I've never really used any TMs in my playthroughs until I could dupe them with Missingno. As a result it's usually late in the game before I even think about using them, and I tend to avoid TM-reliant pokemon like Nidoking and Clefable as a result. I guess Dig's a usable one since Earthquake is the better ground-type duping target.

I was gonna swap out my Nidoran for a Geodude in my current Blue run, but now you have me reconsidering...

It sucks that the Nidoran lines get screwed regarding Double Kick if you evolve them that early in R/B, though. Putting Double Kick at lv12 in Y was a massive improvement.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I think I used a Nidoking in a FireRed run a while back. I forgot that they don't learn Double Kick early in RB.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Remember when Charmander used to learn Metal Claw?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Nidoking cannot learn Dig in Gen I.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Okay, so Gen I Nidoking not nearly as good as Gen 3. My bad.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Y'all are (almost) all wrong and bad for not mentioning 2 of the 3 best Gen 2 pokemon: Hoppip and Corsola. Cute little pink dudes that are my friends forever.

You at least mentioned Ampharos, so you didn't get 0/10.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

You should never think of Poison-types in a bad light, since Nidoking is the KING of Pokemon RB speedruns.

There are also cool Poison dudes like Muk, Toxicroak, Garbodor, Dragalge, Crobat... And those are just the primary Poison types! The only real issue to Poison is that its typing means it only hits two things for SE damage, but often Poison types have either the coolest designs, or a variety of moves to play around with, so I think that is rad.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Toxicroak is a beast.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Did a FireRed run of all Poison types a little while back and it owned.

Venusaur, Nidoking, Tentacruel, Crobat is a solid team base, with a supporting cast of Haunter, Beedrill, Muk, Arbok and so on.

Definitely more usable than the all-Bug team I'm running through LeafGreen now...

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

sebzilla posted:

Venusaur, Nidoking, Tentacruel, Crobat is a solid team base, with a supporting cast of Haunter, Beedrill, Muk, Arbok and so on.

Definitely more usable than the all-Bug team I'm running through LeafGreen now...

How did you beat Sabrina...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Silegna posted:

Dark moves.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

But Dark was Special in Gen 3! Her moves would've have wrecked you, especially her Alakazam!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I remember using a Nidoking back when I played Yellow as a kid. I was so excited to have finally beat Brock back then, since I didn't understand how to play the game and basically used Charmander all day erry day.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Silegna posted:

Beedrill's Twineedle
Golbat's Bite

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Silegna posted:

Potions and X Defs

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016
Memory seems to escape me, but is it in Crystal [gold/silver] where they do the dividing of the bag for you? God, that was a pain in the rear end in Red.

And then there's my favorite, Growlithe, who has the shittiest stats in Red and won't learn loving FLAMETHROWER until level 50. ಠ_ಠ.
Nidoking though, he's my good guy and kills everything.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Dingwall posted:

Memory seems to escape me, but is it in Crystal [gold/silver] where they do the dividing of the bag for you? God, that was a pain in the rear end in Red.

And then there's my favorite, Growlithe, who has the shittiest stats in Red and won't learn loving FLAMETHROWER until level 50. ಠ_ಠ.
Nidoking though, he's my good guy and kills everything.

Yes, but each individual pack still has the 20 item limit.
To be fair, I had to grind my Competitive growlithe to almost 60 for outrage.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
I'm partial to Crobat of all the Gen 2 Pokemon. I had a Golbat that was a beast throughout my blue run when I was a kid, so picking up another zubat was a no brainer. Then Golbat surprised the poo poo out of me when it evolved. It's been a mainstay in most of the Pokemon games I've played since.

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016

Silegna posted:

Yes, but each individual pack still has the 20 item limit.
To be fair, I had to grind my Competitive growlithe to almost 60 for outrage.

the worst is trying to figure out when to eventually evolve my pokemon that need a blood evolution stone. i think i can finally evolve my pikachu [god he's trash in the originals] because he knows thunderbolt now.

and whenever i used squirtle or charmander, i didn't realize what a powerhouse freaking oddish was. holy cow.

and i'm partial to dogs and houndour was amazing but you didn't get him until much, much later in the game ; v ;

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Dingwall posted:

the worst is trying to figure out when to eventually evolve my pokemon that need a blood evolution stone. i think i can finally evolve my pikachu [god he's trash in the originals] because he knows thunderbolt now.

and whenever i used squirtle or charmander, i didn't realize what a powerhouse freaking oddish was. holy cow.

and i'm partial to dogs and houndour was amazing but you didn't get him until much, much later in the game ; v ;

Bellsprout is surprisingly good, too. Sleep Powder is always great, Growth lets you set up, and Wrap lets you abuse terrible gen1 game design for fun and profit.

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016

Zonekeeper posted:

Bellsprout is surprisingly good, too. Sleep Powder is always great, Growth lets you set up, and Wrap lets you abuse terrible gen1 game design for fun and profit.

UUUUUGH. ERIKA. :sassargh:

she would spam me with wrap and constrict and in the original they had unlimited move set so they could do this all the freaking time. i'm glad that they got rid of it in the future gens but holy hell replaying red made me forget how rage inducing it is. [i still love it but. drat

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Remember when Charmander used to learn Metal Claw?

Yes, and it makes me sad that they got rid of it, he can still learn it as an egg move but that's not the same.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Realistically, how doable is an all-poison run of RB? I'm reliving the experience in all its glory on 3DS and I can confirm that Nidorino/Nidoking is a beast.

E: Thunder Wave Pikachu and Wrap Ekans make a great cheap combo.

Tardigrade fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 10, 2016

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Tardigrade posted:

Realistically, how doable is an all-poison run of RB?

sebzilla posted:

This pretty much applies, the movesets are a bit crappier but the Toxic Leech Seed bug will be your best friend.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Dingwall posted:

UUUUUGH. ERIKA. :sassargh:

she would spam me with wrap and constrict and in the original they had unlimited move set so they could do this all the freaking time. i'm glad that they got rid of it in the future gens but holy hell replaying red made me forget how rage inducing it is. [i still love it but. drat
I did this yesterday and holy balls was it annoying. I didn't even remember that as a kid, either I had more patience or everything was FLAMETHROWER LOL whenever I got there. Probably both.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Just popping back in the thread to say I'm really surprised at all the Nidoking love up in here. Awesome! He can learn a lot of solid TMs in gen 1 that make him a viable powerhouse through the main campaign. Also Surf. Anything that learns Surf is solid in gen 1.

Oh yeah, he looks bad-rear end too and Giovanni has one so you know he's super cool and knows how to get poo poo done and manage an Arby's and he can probably lift up cars and...

My inner 9-year-old is leaking.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's always fun looking up the kind of Pokemon that can actually learn Surf, it's pretty crazy. Interesting candidates are Tyranitar, Weavile, Haxorus and Slurpuff, among others, including those weak to Water, such as Rampardos or Diggersby.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i don't think i've ever not used a furret (usually named big boss) as my surf mon in gen2

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Along similar lines as Rampardos. Aggron can learn surf. A pokemon with an ability that is literally "dude's heavy, yo" floats apparently. And of course, since Gen 1 you could have a surfing Rhydon, because apparently the Rock Rhino is made of Pumice.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Poison is pretty doable. While Psychic is king it has low defence. So if you get the badge boosts as well as being overly leveled you can take them out with just about any high attacking and moderate special pokemon that can out speed them.

IIRc to make the game challenging before Nuzlocke became a thing was to beat the game with only Weedle.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I binged the whole Yellow LP and just finished reading the RBY arc of Pokemon Adventures. Thanks for the suggestion, thread. I'm looking forward to seeing how this LP goes, especially what kind of team you're going for!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Let's talk about Badge boosts! I don't think I've ever noticed a difference with them!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Let's talk about Badge boosts! I don't think I've ever noticed a difference with them!

Does any non-Gen I/Gen I remake games even have the badge increases?

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016

hopeandjoy posted:

Does any non-Gen I/Gen I remake games even have the badge increases?

are you talking about if someone traded XX lvl pokemon would listen to you? then yes, that still exists.

in gen I, you're able to get better TMs from the gym leaders imo. like thunderbolt from surge and fireblast from blaine. and loving earthquake from giovanni

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Dingwall posted:

are you talking about if someone traded XX lvl pokemon would listen to you? then yes, that still exists.

in gen I, you're able to get better TMs from the gym leaders imo. like thunderbolt from surge and fireblast from blaine. and loving earthquake from giovanni

No, the badges in Gen 1, 2 and 3 actually boosted your Pokemon's stats. Different badges give different bonuses. In Gens 1 and 2, it's a 9/8 multiplier, and in Gen 3 it's a 10% boost (or 1.1 multiplier). These bonuses are applied during battle and are really broken in Gen 1. Here's the article.

Here's something I've never heard before though:

Bulbapedia posted:

Type boost

In Generation II, every Badge boosts the power of the moves of a certain type by 12.5% (1/8), despite never being referenced in the games. The type strengthened matches the type theme of the Gym (for example, Zephyr Badge boosts the Flying-type). These boosts work similarly to the way same-type attack bonus (STAB) boosts work, and are, in fact, calculated in-between weather modifiers and STAB.

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016
...........oh.

i had NO IDEA that the badges did that. > .>

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Solumin posted:

No, the badges in Gen 1, 2 and 3 actually boosted your Pokemon's stats. Different badges give different bonuses. In Gens 1 and 2, it's a 9/8 multiplier, and in Gen 3 it's a 10% boost (or 1.1 multiplier). These bonuses are applied during battle and are really broken in Gen 1. Here's the article.

Here's something I've never heard before though:

Poor Dark Types.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

No name for your Hoo-thoot? Shame. Call him Hootler.

Also, Chompy for Ratata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I asked because I- fairly sure I'm right here- remember that starting at the second gym at the latest, when you beat a Leader they give you a badge and tell you about it improving the stat of all of your Pokemon in some way but since they only mention it right after you beat them there's no real way to check.

• Locked thread