Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

cams posted:

no but the us is not the only country on earth the goal was 2 million by the end of march... like, they might have come under, but you guys just wanna do your little thing. it's real weird.

na its more weird that you're insisting this game sold well despite powerful evidence against that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yo cammy rules (when i don't get bodied instantly)

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

cams posted:

those numbers are only for the us and do not include pc copies sold this thread is so dumb

Dude, the PC sales are available and they also suck. Apparently, the game has only sold 1/2 a million on both platforms, optimistically. Should've given the casuals their arcade mode, I guess.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The US is one of the biggest places for the game to sell if it is already doing 210k and it's been out a month that does not bode well. Japan sales are probably going to be smaller too, the only place it could do significantly better is Europe, which it might but not enough to cover the costs. It will probably break a million on all skus worldwide maybe even 1.5 mil, it is not making 2 mil by the end of March short of a miracle though.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

it is entirely possible it sold like dogshit, but the only numbers i've seen that are concrete are us npd for february. sorry, i'm ruining your guys thing.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I thought about buying it for my PC, then looked at its specs and my computer told me to go gently caress myself. Then I bought Xrd instead because I heard it ran on potatoes and welp that's my story (Xrd is cool).

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

cams posted:

it is entirely possible it sold like dogshit, but the only numbers i've seen that are concrete are us npd for february. sorry, i'm ruining your guys thing.

Japan's first week sales were 42k according to MediaCreate. UK numbers were around 20k. The game's currently around 130k on Steamspy. I think it was a bit under 100k after launch. I'm having fun with the game but this is a huge bomb.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Turns out that people aren't willing to pay full retail price for an early access game with literally no features outside of The Fight in a niche genre that people tend to find highly confrontational and/or impenetrable which was publicly ridiculed for having one of the worst busted-rear end launches in recent memory

I mean man, I wouldn't have guessed it!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its all true execept the launch though. like less than a day of not working after launch is nbd you got enough mud to sling

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Real hurthling! posted:

its all true execept the launch though. like less than a day of not working after launch is nbd you got enough mud to sling
Whether or not the issue was solved within a reasonable time frame isn't the issue here: numerous media outlets wrote articles about how awful their day 1 experience was.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
That explains why its takes so long to find a match. Nobody bought the game.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Real hurthling! posted:

The game was unplayable for like 2 days after launch. Battle Lounges didn't work consistently for a week. Just 2 days ago lounges went down entirely for a whole day.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I was more surprised to see GTAV still at like #3, that game has been out for what, 2.5 years now?

Also 210k sales in the US in the first month isn't too horrible from this Nintendo fan v:shobon:v If they stick with that "no Super/Ultra/etc versions" and keep selling just Street Fighter V for its lifetime, I can see 2 million sales happening sooner rather than later.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I got chun li, woo

cams
Mar 28, 2003

SLUM KING posted:

Japan's first week sales were 42k according to MediaCreate. UK numbers were around 20k. The game's currently around 130k on Steamspy. I think it was a bit under 100k after launch. I'm having fun with the game but this is a huge bomb.
oh, that sucks

new kof looks pretty cool

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Well maybe Quinns can bring some normies into the fold:
http://coolghosts.net/cool-stuff/2016/3/8/y80m5v9pf8mh55dcgyra6461kibhd5

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

why put me up against people with twice my LP I'm not there yet capcom

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hiddenriverninja posted:

why put me up against people with twice my LP I'm not there yet capcom

no one bought the game :siren:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
sf5 really is third strike part 2 huh

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
RIP Street Fighter franchise

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
:(

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
*places a quarter atop the Street Fighter tombstone*

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Jmcrofts posted:

sf5 really is third strike part 2 huh

if only it was that good and fun

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

SF5 had a really good launch for an MMO.
But people thought they were buying a fighting game and "well everything worked after a couple days" is a really bad launch for a fighting game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm honestly surprised it's doing this badly. Like why is the thing that made people say "Nah, I'm good." Just over saturation of fight games?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Unlike 3s, this game is not very fun at scrub to intermediate levels.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Baal posted:

I'm honestly surprised it's doing this badly. Like why is the thing that made people say "Nah, I'm good." Just over saturation of fight games?

I think its the insulting launch package and its wide publicity.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

What are successful numbers for a fighting game that's not Smash?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How much did MKX do? Those are the numbers

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Baal posted:

mkx sells to general audiences on the back of shock value and movie monster dlc so i'd imagine it moved several million

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean MKX sells more to kids than SF does too so that's a factor

SF is the old man game now

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm pretty sure it's a combination of the game launching unfinished and hundreds of articles online telling people not to buy the game and people got sick of Street Fighter IV.

I fully expect Capcom to eventually add in the content that was missing at launch, but the damage from the news articles and bitching on social media is done and the game's reputation is not so hot.

Baal posted:

Mortal Kombat sells a lot because it has a story mode and outrageous fatalities which are things that appeal to a casual audience who just wants to mash buttons.

Outside of people constantly complaining in this thread, the reception from the FGC seems surprisingly positive considering the FGC loves to poo poo on everything constantly. A lot of people just seem to be happy that it isn't Street Fighter 4. But competitive players are a minority and you need to include things like story mode if you want to sell copies.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Baal posted:

I mean MKX sells more to kids than SF does too so that's a factor

SF is the old man game now

If that's true, it's kinda funny because Capcom really wanted a T rating for this and MK is usually trying very hard to earn that M.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Booyah- posted:

What are successful numbers for a fighting game that's not Smash?
numbers that are so big that your game causes the sega genesis controller to be remade to have 6 buttons instead of 3 and released in a bundle with the system

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i'd expect that there will be revisits to sfv with the big updates by critics that may drive sales but yeah they should have just done a persistent beta and called it launched when it was complete

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the casuals didn't buy it because it doesn't have a zoner

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Probably should've delayed the game another year and not tried to release it with no content for people who don't play the game competitively instead of being like "Nah, we don't need to make a good first impression. Everything can come out after everyone's gotten sick of it." Ah well, lesson learned, hopefully they can take it into SFVI.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if they're really hurting they'll fire sale it right before dumping a shitton of paid dlc and that will get the players and revenue up.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idk, if the game's not done by so well they might not do a season 2. Who honestly knows though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Baal posted:

Probably should've delayed the game another year and not tried to release it with no content for people who don't play the game competitively instead of being like "Nah, we don't need to make a good first impression. Everything can come out after everyone's gotten sick of it." Ah well, lesson learned, hopefully they can take it into SFVI.

This is Capcom.
If SF5 ultimately bombs there will not be an SF6 until everyone has basically forgotten what Street Fighter is, and then it will be a bad mobile game.