Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

YF-23 posted:

paper mana
:gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

What if a regent a.i. could declare war for you? Would certainly keep you on your toes during a regency

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It's not like there isn't already a history of regents declaring wars, although I suppose the most famous example had a parliament, as well.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

pdxjohan posted:

Wiz wanted that as well. Luckily i am in charge, so we can keep the rules as they have been for over a decade now!

I declare an oligarchic republic.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

pdxjohan posted:

Wiz wanted that as well. Luckily i am in charge, so we can keep the rules as they have been for over a decade now!

Wiz was the hero we all needed and deserved.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dibujante posted:

I declare an oligarchic republic.

Fintilgin has joined faction 'Force Elective Monarchy in Paradox', he is now supporting Wiz as King.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
regencies should be like a personal union with yourself, they will declare war and handle peace deals and poo poo, you can move the soldiers around maybe

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Star posted:

New DD about sea combat: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-10th-march-2016.912904/
Really like the sound of the sea mission changes.

Have they specified if there's a way to set the regions your fleets will do the missions in? Or will I find my European fleets sailing halfway across the world to vanquish the 3 cogs that the Sultunate of Sulu sent after me.

The changes to combat its self look good but I don't see myself trusting the AI with control of my fleets unless I already have overwhelming naval superiority.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Koramei posted:

Have they specified if there's a way to set the regions your fleets will do the missions in? Or will I find my European fleets sailing halfway across the world to vanquish the 3 cogs that the Sultunate of Sulu sent after me.

The changes to combat its self look good but I don't see myself trusting the AI with control of my fleets unless I already have overwhelming naval superiority.

I am extremely leery of the blockade mission since that will actually split up the fleet to blockade as much as possible. It sounds like a recipe for disaster.

The other ones look fine unless the AI navigation is really bad at avoiding naval attrition.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bitter Mushroom posted:

regencies should be like a personal union with yourself, they will declare war and handle peace deals and poo poo, you can move the soldiers around maybe

I hardly think tying the worst mechanic to the second worst mechanic is a good idea.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
If you're in a regency you shouldn't have control over anything, and you also have to buy Johan's groceries for the duration of the regency.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

YF-23 posted:

I am extremely leery of the blockade mission since that will actually split up the fleet to blockade as much as possible. It sounds like a recipe for disaster.

The other ones look fine unless the AI navigation is really bad at avoiding naval attrition.

Blockade should have fleets automatically consolidate to join any attempt to break the blockade. Most zones are small enough that if the fleets auto engaged I don't think having them dividing would be that big a drawback.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
I'm really looking forward to not having to micromanage a doomstack of boats to hunt down transport fleets while I'm trying to fight a war.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

YF-23 posted:

I'm worried that damaged ships breaking off to repair and then filter back to the fleet will lead to picemeal annihilation as they run into a doomfleet on the way there/back.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
The design documents indicate a move towards naval regencies, where when an admiral dies without a successor you will no longer be able to move your ships around until a new admiral is appointed. This can take between 1-15 years.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

CharlestheHammer posted:

1. You can't mitigate the penalties as the issue most take is the no war thing which is pretty binary.
2.this doesn't really do anything besides effectively eliminating regencies in an over complicated way.
3.this doesn't have much to do with regencies.

1. that's mostly what I meant by mitigating the penalties, but there are other penalties than just not being able to declare war and there are more solutions to mitigate the restrictions than by just removing that limitation completely
2. it gives the player another layer of meaningful choices and it doesn't have to preclude regencies altogether. Having the choice to risk a 10+ year regency in return for a high value youthful monarch is a tempting choice to many players
3. Monarchies have problems other than just regencies being un-fun and outside of player influence

Jel Shaker posted:

What if a regent a.i. could declare war for you? Would certainly keep you on your toes during a regency

Oh boy, that would be interesting for a short while but I think I would stop playing ironman games if that were the case

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 10, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I still like monarchies more than republics. But gently caress republics really.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I still like monarchies more than republics. But gently caress republics really.

Why?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Koramei posted:

Dev diary says missions are tied to sea regions (which are relatively big I think) and trade nodes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Honestly me too. I just don't care for having to fiddle with my ruler all the time. They come out mostly the same on average.

Of course my favorite custom nation move is definitely to start as a Republic, build a 6-6-6 ruler, and just keep him forever until I lapse into Monarchy.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Dev diary says missions are tied to sea regions (which are relatively big I think) and trade nodes.

yeah I read it again more carefully after I posted that and felt like an idiot. on the image it looks like you can specify behavior/ how aggressive your fleets should be too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I just read them again (having also missed the region/trade node thing), and I'm a big fan. The new 20 ship firing cap should go a long way to preventing naval battles from being just roving doomstacks; if I'm reading the morale drop bit correctly it should mean that there's nothing gained by running >50 combat ships to a fleet. Sounds like they're really doubling down on how important Admiral maneuver is which is great for naval focused powers, but just makes Naval Ideas that much more worthless. :v:

The mission system looks like a genuine godsend.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

They are rather tedious to deal with for not much benefit

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

pdxjohan posted:

I'm curious, is it Paradox policy to have a dev poster for each SA thread about your games? Wiz has stepped off from EU4 and now you're here. The CK2 thread has Groogy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm curious, is it Paradox policy to have a dev poster for each SA thread about your games? Wiz has stepped off from EU4 and now you're here. The CK2 thread has Groogy.
I think they are just cool dudes that know where the spergiest nerds hangout.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The naval changes look great if they're implemented well. It should cut down on a lot of the annoying micromanagement, while still giving you the option to micromanage when you need finesse. Now when can we get something similar for armies?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Will the new naval missions work properly with the Alexandria region?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Poil posted:

Will the new naval missions work properly with the Alexandria region?

Trade protection works properly there, but building a stack of ships doesn't, so chances are 50/50.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pyromancer posted:

Trade protection works properly there, but building a stack of ships doesn't, so chances are 50/50.

I found this out the hard way when I used the merchant estate action to build five heavy ships, and they all got queued up in Sinai. Thanks a lot, merchants.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

I wouldn't be surprised: http://imgmr.com/pc-news/paradox-has-a-grand-strategy-for-gdc/

quote:

Johan Andersson (EVP Creative Director): Andersson has led the design vision at Paradox Development Studio for over 15 years, leading the development of the early Europa Universalis titles and directing design of most of Paradox’s games since. At GDC, Andersson will share his thoughts on how good community management is a development asset – not just good PR. This session will be presented on Wednesday, March 16 at 3:30 p.m.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Wafflecopper posted:

If it is, it's good loving policy. I'll take it over the wall of silence Firaxis puts out any day.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gort posted:

If it is, it's good loving policy. I'll take it over the wall of silence Firaxis puts out any day.

Oh absolutely. Policy or otherwise, it's great that they're here.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wafflecopper posted:

Was Darkrenown a goon before or after joining Paradox?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Most people were goons long before they started posting here.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

It's very important to establish proper creds like who was here before they were a game dev and who is here because it's PDX official policy as part of the onboarding process that you get assigned a forum to lurk.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wiz's worst mistake was to post here before he got hired. Now he's stuck with us.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

The naval changes look great if they're implemented well. It should cut down on a lot of the annoying micromanagement, while still giving you the option to micromanage when you need finesse. Now when can we get something similar for armies?
Agreed. I would love something for Armies to be able to run around to kill those little one stacks that go around un-occupying land or whatever. Especially if they had a function like "avoid large battles"

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Multiplayer post

So as may have been mentioned, multiplayer is great and so is Europa Gooniversalis! We're coming to the endgame of our first game with v2.0, and this Saturday (8PM GMT) we have a couple of slots open:

Bohemia is probably the greatest power in the shattered husk of the HRE. Heavily developed and with strong alliances in the east, Bohemia is well capable of kicking some heads in.
Bulgaria's previous tenant ran for the hills after his mercenary shtick finally made one enemy too many. A new player though could refresh the diplomacy in the region, and man for man Bulgarian troops are some of the best on earth.

If you're down for either of these, you can hit me, Obliterati up on Steam or post in this thread.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alright I just started my third 13+ year regency in the past 75 years (5th Regency this game):

Do those of you that have successfully achievement hunted think I will be able to get Master of India in the next 190 years? I think I should be able to I'm just not sure if there is a different approach I should be taking or anything. I have the whole west coast of India down to the southern tip, and Kiawathar and Delhi are my vassals. Vijay westernized so I am thinking of vassalizing them once they are smaller so I could feed them some land so I can spread out the diplo/admin point costs. Definitely thinking of picking up the Influence ideas sometime soon.

I am also thinking of trying to get "Definitely the Sultan of Rum" or whatever it is since that is an obvious one to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Obliterati posted:

Bulgaria's previous tenant ran for the hills after his mercenary shtick finally made one enemy too many. A new player though could refresh the diplomacy in the region, and man for man Bulgarian troops are some of the best on earth.

I was interested to see how the mercenary arrangement would work, it appears it didn't go well. Can you expand just a touch what happened during Plucky Bulgaria's Mercenary Adventure?

• Locked thread