Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

well that's an absurdly awful and stupid thing to say
No, you're confused. This was an extremely substantive and civil debate!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If only Jim Webb had run as a Republican. I think he might have literally thrown a punch at Trump over that. Hell I think he might have beaten down Trump a while ago.
I still think if Jeb! had punched Trump square in the jaw way back when Trump refused to apologize to Jeb!'s wife, Jeb! would be the nominee. The GOP base loves machismo (but paradoxically supports an incredibly vain, somewhat effete, rich Manhattanite, who's likely never been in a fight, and doesn't drink).

Nichael fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
In other news. A pretty good analysis of Obama's Foreign Policy. I'm not a fan of Jeffrey Goldberg's blogging but every so often his long form writing is compelling.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/04/the-obama-doctrine/471525/

edit: and the Dark Knight reference just reinforces for me how culturally in touch Obama is.

spoon daddy fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 11, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Phone posted:

But wait, there's more!

whatever it is, it doesn't matter

nothing matters

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Hey, remember how that Obama guy is going to SXSW rather than Mrs. Alzheimer's funeral? http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomnamako/facebook-commenter-encourages-open-carry-advocate-to-fire-at?bffbnews&utm_term=4ldqpho#4ldqpho I bet your average Texan CCW enthusiast has opinions about our elected leader.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

This forum is full of people who post ideas off the top of their head and double down in the face of disagreement from much more informed positions. PTD knowing nothing about food safety but still being certain he knew better than the FDA is one vivid example.

The FDA doesn't ban the sale of raw milk. PTD was arguing that the sale of raw milk should not be banned. You were the one disagreeing with the FDA by saying that it should be banned.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Jimbozig posted:

The FDA doesn't ban the sale of raw milk. PTD was arguing that the sale of raw milk should not be banned. You were the one disagreeing with the FDA by saying that it should be banned.

Stop being so sour.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

DemeaninDemon posted:

Stop being so sour.

We curd all these jokes already.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Doomtalker posted:

Hey, remember how that Obama guy is going to SXSW rather than Mrs. Alzheimer's funeral? http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomnamako/facebook-commenter-encourages-open-carry-advocate-to-fire-at?bffbnews&utm_term=4ldqpho#4ldqpho I bet your average Texan CCW enthusiast has opinions about our elected leader.

I got :10bux: on the secret service.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jimbozig posted:

The FDA doesn't ban the sale of raw milk. PTD was arguing that the sale of raw milk should not be banned.

i was just saying that, given how many other risky food products are permitted, there's no particular reason why raw milk should be singled out for a ban. it's not appreciably more dangerous than other things which are legal - i can go buy enough alcohol to kill myself for like $20, right now. that being said, i understand why some jurisdictions ban alcohol sales, even if i dont agree with it

e: drat, 140 americans died of food poisoning related to dairy in a decade. 2000 americans die from alcohol poisoning every year. yeah i really don't see why raw milk is an extremely dangerous thing that needs to be banned

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 11, 2016

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Tonight Trump literally praised the Chinese for their actions in Tienanmen Square. He refereed to the protesters at his rallies as bad violent men who deserved to be roughed up. This is not a man who will, or even can, try and make himself palatable to the general electorate.

Are you making GBS threads me. To whom is that message meant to appeal exactly? What bloc of voters are huge fans of Tiananmen Square?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Come on over to the Free Republic thread, friend!

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

A Winner is Jew posted:

I got :10bux: on the secret service.

Ah, yes, well, no poo poo. I'm just wondering how many loudmouth hillbilly rednecks have to justify why they're not great Trun Patroits after tomorrow.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Is there a good summary of the debate up anywhere yet?

E: and by 'good' I mean I want all the hot takes. Already read through @dick_nixon

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

Is there a good summary of the debate up anywhere yet?

Blahblahblah

Trump says Tiennamen Square was great, sounding almost aroused as he described the power of the Chinese gov

Blahblahblah

Trump says that it's a goddammed shame that the Democrats don't plan on changing social security, and that if he were elected he wouldn't change social security. Yeah that's what he said

All the other candidates say that anybody under 35-45 can suck poo poo - they'll have to keep paying but never get it, or when they do it'll be some garbage 401k

Pretty lame debate, Trump seemed super low energy like he was trying to go centrist but said absolutely nothing that would appeal to the center. Got owned on his tariffs nonsense.

Nothing matters

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
You're missing the part about Rubio going "There's always been climate change, oh well." :shrug: when asked point-blank about concerns of rising water levels in Florida.

Republican responses to climate change make me die a little inside.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

You're missing the part about Rubio going "There's always been climate change, oh well." :shrug: when asked point-blank about concerns of rising water levels in Florida.

Republican responses to climate change make me die a little inside.

Oh yeah, and it was specifically in response to the mayor of Miami's concerns too. Pourous bedrock causing the water supply that your entire city requires to become contaminated with salt water? Staring down the barrel of losing like half a mile of coast line?

Oh well, stuff happens

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

showbiz_liz posted:

Are you making GBS threads me. To whom is that message meant to appeal exactly? What bloc of voters are huge fans of Tiananmen Square?

Authoritarians.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Antti posted:

Authoritarians.

Who at the same time claim to fear government overreach and oppresion. It's the most amazing double think of our day.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

Epic High Five posted:

Oh yeah, and it was specifically in response to the mayor of Miami's concerns too. Pourous bedrock causing the water supply that your entire city requires to become contaminated with salt water? Staring down the barrel of losing like half a mile of coast line?

Oh well, stuff happens

Boy, Climate Change. I don't know.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who at the same time claim to fear government overreach and oppresion. It's the most amazing double think of our day.

Government overreach is when it affects them. Stomping the other is perfectly fine.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Talmonis posted:

I fear that the "Silent Majority" are just the quiet racists too afraid of social sanction to speak publicly about it. I think Trump is going to be a big draw in the voting booth, away from the judgement of their children and peers.

I wouldn't worry about this

There is a reason conservatives switched to dogwhistles to get elected after that, most Americans don't want to admit to themselves that they're racist and need politicians to give them plausible deniability for their own consciences that their vote is for responsible spending or freedom or individualism or law and order or something.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i was just saying that, given how many other risky food products are permitted, there's no particular reason why raw milk should be singled out for a ban. it's not appreciably more dangerous than other things which are legal - i can go buy enough alcohol to kill myself for like $20, right now. that being said, i understand why some jurisdictions ban alcohol sales, even if i dont agree with it

e: drat, 140 americans died of food poisoning related to dairy in a decade. 2000 americans die from alcohol poisoning every year. yeah i really don't see why raw milk is an extremely dangerous thing that needs to be banned

Banning alcohol is banning alcohol. Banning raw milk still leaves the populace with access to milk.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

cbservo posted:

Boy, Climate Change. I don't know.

In the future, if you're wondering, when you hosed up that quote of West Wing is when I decided to kick your rear end.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

spoon daddy posted:

In other news. A pretty good analysis of Obama's Foreign Policy. I'm not a fan of Jeffrey Goldberg's blogging but every so often his long form writing is compelling.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/04/the-obama-doctrine/471525/

edit: and the Dark Knight reference just reinforces for me how culturally in touch Obama is.

This is a super pro-click BTW

quote:

“isis is not an existential threat to the United States,” [Obama] told me in one of these conversations. “Climate change is a potential existential threat to the entire world if we don’t do something about it.” Obama explained that climate change worries him in particular because “it is a political problem perfectly designed to repel government intervention. It involves every single country, and it is a comparatively slow-moving emergency, so there is always something seemingly more urgent on the agenda.”

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

VitalSigns posted:

I wouldn't worry about this

There is a reason conservatives switched to dogwhistles to get elected after that, most Americans don't want to admit to themselves that they're racist and need politicians to give them plausible deniability for their own consciences that their vote is for responsible spending or freedom or individualism or law and order or something.

The "Silent Majority" hasn't been a thing since the mid 80s. What remains of that quote unquote movement is a minority that is anything but silent, they can't stop spewing their despicable poo poo. With the massive demographic shifts over the past 30 years the Southern Strategy no longer works. Of course Republicans are continuing to double down on it even though the immediately obvious lesson to take out of the 2012 loss was that they needed to stop being so loving racist toward Hispanics and maybe pretend to give a poo poo about black people. Whoops.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Wow, I just watched Untouchables tonight and Al Capone just reeked of Donald Trump, right down to the hand movements. Now all I want is for the Democratic nominee to deliver a knock out blow in a debate and say: "here endeth the lesson."

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

Doomtalker posted:

And obviously the guy who all but said "Shoot the President" is a false flag, no one would say that out loud actually carries that opinion, the DemocRATS are setting us up to destroy the 2nd Amendment,

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Banning alcohol is banning alcohol. Banning raw milk still leaves the populace with access to milk.
there is still non alcoholic beer, which while lacking in taste, is parallel to pasteurized milk.

There would likely also be a spotted black market for raw milk, which would be utterly more dangerous, similar to bathtub spirits in prohibition.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Raw milk makes you drunk? Oh poo poo, I get it now.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mr. Wookums posted:

a spotted black

I think the polite term is "Holstein"

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Epic High Five posted:

Oh well, stuff happens

Acceptable loses as it's Florida.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Wookums posted:

there is still non alcoholic beer, which while lacking in taste, is parallel to pasteurized milk.

There would likely also be a spotted black market for raw milk, which would be utterly more dangerous, similar to bathtub spirits in prohibition.

Its me, I'm gonna be one of the Raw runners and make a fortune selling Raw Milk illegally to the morons that crave it. The Amos Owens of Milk.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Yeah, people from other countries, particularly Scandinavia and the UK, frequently shake their heads about how "Americans make everything about race," but this country was drawn on racial lines like few others. Our constitution, our political system, even the shapes of our states derive from the permanent national debate about slavery and its legacy.

The UK is actually flirting with the idea of leaving the EU because they don't want any o' them Ayyrabbs comin' in and rapin their white women. Sweden was looking to deny refugees for the same reasons. The racial backlash is by no means limited to those countries either - I'm thinking France specifically and everyone in general is happy to have the EU accept refugees as long as they stay in Greece and Eastern Europe (i.e. far away from your lily-white asses).

The US may have a permanent national debate about slavery but at least we don't lose our poo poo the first time we see a non-white person the way Europeans do.

Republican-led states in the US also flipped a poo poo about Syrian refugees but they are getting told where to shove it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 11, 2016

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Mr. Wookums posted:

No, it isn't.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Yeah, people from other countries, particularly Scandinavia and the UK, frequently shake their heads about how "Americans make everything about race,"
Isn't Sweden pretty racist though?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kafka Esq. posted:

Wow, I just watched Untouchables tonight and Al Capone just reeked of Donald Trump, right down to the hand movements. Now all I want is for the Democratic nominee to deliver a knock out blow in a debate and say: "here endeth the lesson."
Trump hasn't yet killed anyone with a baseball bat...right?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Trump hasn't yet killed anyone with a baseball bat...right?

Yet...

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Ok, serious question. Do you really not understand the difference between death from bacteria and death from improper or accidental use of something?

The reason we have food inspection and regulations/banning is to prevent people unknowingly being exposed to e. Coli, listeria, botulism, etc. So we regulate and inspect suppliers and restaurants and require foods that are at risk to be processed to reduce the risk of people being exposed to those things. Alcohol poisoning, car accidents or whatever other moronic examples you or others bring up have nothing to do with the producers and suppliers of those products, those deaths are from misuse or accidents.

And surprise, even then we regulate the production of those things so you know exactly how much alcohol you are buying or that it's actually ethanol and not methanol and that cars function properly like stopping when you press the brake pedal.

We don't look at a number and say "ok it's below X number of deaths so it doesn't need regulation". You are using the exact same argument than gun people use when they throw out "Well people get stabbed so guess we better ban sharp things". That's the moron group you want to put yourself in?

If you need a relevant example to help you understand moonshine is banned because it can contain methanol. Society agreed the risks of people going blind or worse because they don't know moonshine could have methanol despite there being a small handful of idiots who may like drinking it. Banning raw milk is for the same reason, to prevent people who do not know it has a far higher risk of containing bacteria that could injure or kill you isn't worth the trade off. (And I'm talking about wanting to ban it not whether it is banned before some idiot jumps in to say it's not actually banned everywhere)

Toasticle fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 11, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Paul MaudDib posted:

The UK is actually flirting with the idea of leaving the EU because they don't want any o' them Ayyrabbs comin' in and rapin their white women. Sweden was looking to deny refugees for the same reasons. The racial backlash is by no means limited to those countries either - I'm thinking France specifically and everyone in general is happy to have the EU accept refugees as long as they stay in Greece and Eastern Europe (i.e. far away from your lily-white asses).

The US may have a permanent national debate about slavery but at least we don't lose our poo poo the first time we see a non-white person the way Europeans do.

Republican-led states in the US also flipped a poo poo about Syrian refugees but they are getting told where to shove it.

While I was in Germany, I was thoroughly impressed at how much people I had met absolutely detested the Turks.

Boon fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DemeaninDemon posted:

Acceptable loses as it's Florida.

Unfortunately the solidly lovely part of Florida is primarily inland and the gulf coast. Not that there aren't poop enclaves along the Atlantic coast, but a lot of the larger/older cities have been pretty socially progressive due to their early status as safe zones for what amounts to LGBT internally displaced persons whose lives would be in danger in most other places (at the time - it's only some places now).

And Key West is a wonderful goofy place that doesn't deserve to fall into the sea either :smith:

Boon posted:

While I was in Germany, I was thoroughly impressed at how much some progressive minded individuals I'd met absolutely detested the Turks.

Like on an ethnic level? I mean, I'm not happy with the actions of the Turkish government (wrt Kurds/Syria) and depending on how I'm asked I might be like "yeah, gently caress those assholes."

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 11, 2016

• Locked thread