Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was mostly joking because you think Capcom already knew how to release a fighting game since SFIV, Marvel, and SFxT all released with a sizeable roster of characters, modes, and "working" online, but I guess they just assumed they didn't need it this time? Speaking of SFxT I think they also projected that game to sell over 2 million by the end of March as well and that actually released in March?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
So they won't make any more Mega Man or Darkstalkers games... lost the Marvel license... Resident Evil 6 bombed, SF5 bombed...

Well... I guess Capcom still has Monster Hunter.

...I could never get into Monster Hunter.

Welp...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They still have DMC

Also Darkstalkers would be dead on arrival after Resurrection gathered no interest for it

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Baal posted:

Idk, if the game's not done by so well they might not do a season 2. Who honestly knows though?

Iunno they still made like 3 versions of SF3 so I mean I can't imagine them not trying at least a few more times to poo poo some money out of the franchise.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Beyond the March update, Store, and Alex (and I know at least 2-3 people who are waiting on it because that's when the game is 'really' out), Story mode being released will probably drive some sales, too.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I would imagine Sony working with them to develop it should make it a little less painful, costwise, so it could be worse. I'm assuming they'll go into overdrive trying to win people back. For better or for worse they really put all their eggs in one basket – it's not like they can make money back with Rival Schools 3 or Darkstalkers 4, and they said that they weren't gonna do Super Street Fighter V. So this is all they've got, and they'll do what they can to try to keep it running.

Edit: Also, Resident Evil still makes a lot of money, even RE6 sold a lot (but below expectations, obviously). The RE1Remake did phenomenal. So they've got that and MH at least.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
There's also RE2 Remake that's being worked on that people are likely way more excited for.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Baal posted:

They still have DMC

Also Darkstalkers would be dead on arrival after Resurrection gathered no interest for it

I didn't play the new DMC, wasn't it recieved very poorly? Didn't play Bionic Commando or Dead Rising 3 either but I heard people didn't like 'em.

Also I loving love the poo poo out of Vampire Savior but so few people share that love and it breaks my heart :negative:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

attackmole posted:

Iunno they still made like 3 versions of SF3 so I mean I can't imagine them not trying at least a few more times to poo poo some money out of the franchise.

Games were different in the 90s, especially fighting games

bhsman posted:

Beyond the March update, Store, and Alex (and I know at least 2-3 people who are waiting on it because that's when the game is 'really' out), Story mode being released will probably drive some sales, too.

March is not going to churn out a million sales for them. I cannot say I'm surprised Capcom nested that cynical mentality for the people buying their games though.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I didn't play the new DMC, wasn't it recieved very poorly? Didn't play Bionic Commando or Dead Rising 3 either but I heard people didn't like 'em.

Also I loving love the poo poo out of Vampire Savior but so few people share that love and it breaks my heart :negative:

DMC4SE did really well for Capcom and DMC and Dante & Nero's actor are doing mocap work for DMC5 right now.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

So they won't make any more Mega Man or Darkstalkers games... lost the Marvel license... Resident Evil 6 bombed, SF5 bombed...

Welp...

It's funny, you listed all those franchises and none of them were even the one I was directly referencing, and that sums Capcom up pretty well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also yeah the RE license is still p lucrative for Capcom since they've been doing a good job on their releases after 6

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gammatron 64 posted:

Welp...

RE is still doing fine, re6 was just really bad

bhsman posted:

you cannot bring back the launch hype train with a story mode half a year after release.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Klades posted:

It's funny, you listed all those franchises and none of them were even the one I was directly referencing, and that sums Capcom up pretty well.

I dunno what you're thinking of, but if we wanna talk franchises less likely to come back than Mega Man or Darkstalkers, there's also Ghosts n' Goblins, Strider, Breath of Fire, Rival Schools, Power Stone...

Capcom has a really good collection of IPs they never do anything with

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Strider did come back! And it was good.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

I dunno what you're thinking of, but if we wanna talk franchises less likely to come back than Mega Man or Darkstalkers, there's also Ghosts n' Goblins, Strider, Breath of Fire, Rival Schools, Power Stone...

Capcom has a really good collection of IPs they never do anything with

There it is.
Breath of Fire 6, coming to a mobile phone near you in, uh, negative two or three weeks apparently. (EDIT: Hahaha it has a 1.8 rating on Google Play)

Also there was just a new Strider game a year or two ago by somebody or other and it was pretty good.

Klades fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 11, 2016

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Baal posted:

March is not going to churn out a million sales for them. I cannot say I'm surprised Capcom nested that cynical mentality for the people buying their games though.

Pomp posted:

you cannot bring back the launch hype train with a story mode half a year after release.

Neither of those are things I actually said, though? :shrug:

EDIT: My point was that those two events (particularly if story mode is out around EVO) for the (non-tax) year that could help drive sales aside from release.

quote:

RE is still doing fine, re6 was just really bad

Yeah, Revelations 2 was really good from what I saw.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 11, 2016

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I know it's a pipe dream, but I feel like a new Darkstalkers could work if they made it a download only, $20 title and got Iron Galaxy or whoever to work on it. Like it's never gonna beat SF or Mortal Kombat, but I think it could do okay in the budget digital realm. Resurrection certainly didn't light the charts on fire, but it's actually impressive that it sold as much as it did given that it was an obscure rerelease of some Playstation-era games with no promotion. Modern 2D graphics and a spot on the undercard at Capcom events could give it a big boost. It seems weird to me that they have the whole Capcom Pro Tour for one game anyway.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can't get Iron Galaxy to work on it when IG is working on actually successful fighting game

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
Good thing Rising Thunder will save 2D fighters for us.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

strider was made by double helix, the dudes who did KI originally

it was ok, a bit stale in terms of design but overall p fun due to core mechanics being fun
its biggest crime was that it lacked style which is already 80% of strider

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Baal posted:

I'm honestly surprised it's doing this badly. Like why is the thing that made people say "Nah, I'm good." Just over saturation of fight games?

They claimed to want to appeal to the wider casual market and then before release announced that a real story mode wouldn't be inserted into the game until loving June. They didn't even have tutorials or trials that training mode warriors eat up in at launch, but at least those are coming this month I guess. There's also the months of people documenting nerf after nerf after nerf in the beta with far less buffs and optimistic things to say besides "maybe it'll end up ok" which I guess it might have if it had any of the depth of gameplay options people have come to expect from other series' releases.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I know it's a pipe dream, but I feel like a new Darkstalkers could work if they made it a download only, $20 title and got Iron Galaxy or whoever to work on it. Like it's never gonna beat SF or Mortal Kombat, but I think it could do okay in the budget digital realm. Resurrection certainly didn't light the charts on fire, but it's actually impressive that it sold as much as it did given that it was an obscure rerelease of some Playstation-era games with no promotion. Modern 2D graphics and a spot on the undercard at Capcom events could give it a big boost. It seems weird to me that they have the whole Capcom Pro Tour for one game anyway.

Remember the fake GG vs DS screenshot(s) floating around the internet? That's still on someone's pipedream list, Capcom, Sammy, whoever makes Guilty Gear.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
So Alex's backstory is a cautionary tale of wearing suspenders without a shirt, you'll get red scars and poo poo on your shoulders

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

They claimed to want to appeal to the wider casual market and then before release announced that a real story mode wouldn't be inserted into the game until loving June. They didn't even have tutorials or trials that training mode warriors eat up in at launch, but at least those are coming this month I guess. There's also the months of people documenting nerf after nerf after nerf in the beta with far less buffs and optimistic things to say besides "maybe it'll end up ok" which I guess it might have if it had any of the depth of gameplay options people have come to expect from other series' releases.

Idk it just feels difficult to believe that casual players actually cared about most of this but I guess this does prove that you shouldn't just assume people are okay with how you release the game since Street Fighter is in the title

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baal posted:

I'm honestly surprised it's doing this badly. Like why is the thing that made people say "Nah, I'm good." Just over saturation of fight games?

Lack of single player features maybe?

Supposedly not very many people bothered with online in MKX.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
It was definitely the lack of story/arcade mode, NeoGaf people were freaking the gently caress out over not being able to beat up the computer. I think people overestimate how much of a market there really is for people who want to beat up another human being like gentlemen, this is America, we would rather shoot at them.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Story mode really wouldnt have been enough.

Out side the box solo modes would have helped a tiny bit.

Gamers are also a lot less enticed to spend the time it takes to invest in fighters

competitive gamers will skip out on fighters if they are bad and dont understand how to get better

The game was rushed and march update is a band aid.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
this game is doing badly because there's no reason for anyone to play it besides people who are really big fans of the returning characters or people who make their living playing fighting games

the only excuse anyone can come up with is "it has the most players" as if the majority of the people playing this game aren't ragequitters, online gimmick masters and other Undesirables that you don't actually wanna play against outside of free points, and as if it's still 2006 and the scene for every game consists of five people

it is on all fronts A Fighting Game, but it doesn't excel at anything besides having the most advertising money and a couple characters people want back because they like their design. "It's Fun" because on a base wavelength all fighting games are the same, but what does this game have that you can't get in so many other games, both big name releases lesser ones

sf4 could get away with a lot of the same crap this game tried to get away with because it was The Only Fighting Game, but now depending on what you want in a fighting game you have so many options that have online that actually loving works properly without needing multiple beta tests

the hosed up part is that this game isn't actually lovely, it's much worse and just Fine. capcom only releases "we're sorry please love us again" sequels/updates to games that are poo poo like strekken, this game is Fine so it's just gonna keep on doing what it's doing and making as many dlc dollars as possible

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 11, 2016

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
The problem is that to casual observers SF5 just looks like a slightly iterated version of SF4 whereas SF4 looked -- for better or worse -- insanely different to anything they've ever done before.

There was a novelty factor that SF4 had that SF5 just doesn't and whether you liked it or not, vanilla SF4 was more feature complete on launch than SF5. It may not have provided much, but at least half the game wasn't locked out behind "coming soon" notices. It was/is also a more mechanically interesting game (and IMO, way more fun)

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Goodpart posted:

The problem is that to casual observers SF5 just looks like a slightly iterated version of SF4 whereas SF4 looked -- for better or worse -- insanely different to anything they've ever done before.

There was a novelty factor that SF4 had that SF5 just doesn't and whether you liked it or not, vanilla SF4 was more feature complete on launch than SF5. It may not have provided much, but at least half the game wasn't locked out behind "coming soon" notices. It was/is also a more mechanically interesting game (and IMO, way more fun)

The thing I liked about sf4 wss that Zangief could SPD people without having to press his flesh up against them so tight that he physically merges with them through osmosis. That to me, was a lot more fun. Because you can still lp.spd from about the same distance, but Ken can Dragon punch and if you're within a few meters and not blocking then you take about the same damage, and it's just like.... Why an I playing Grief?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure this game will be really cool and will feel complete in a year but it really doesn't now. It doesn't help that the reveal for the first DLC character is a handful of bad screenshots and the news that his V mechanics aren't that interesting.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 11, 2016

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The flop sales numbers are disturbing but unsurprising given the lack of casual-friendly features upon release. It's doubly sad because the game itself is really fun - roughly six of us have picked up the game now and are learning Street Fighter for more or less the first time, and aside from the missing features (like a proper rotating lobby and key remapping) it's great. Yeah, with low sales numbers, matchmaking will suck, but it's survivable with friends. I just hope the numbers don't kill the game prematurely.

Also Cammy owns and is a blast to play aside from feeling like she has a really limited sweep range. I've probably been spoiled by SF4 Chun sweep.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
They could have just called it Early Access and nobody would have cared. Fighting game fans would have fun and casuals would just get it at "launch".

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Agoat posted:

They could have just called it Early Access and nobody would have cared. Fighting game fans would have fun and casuals would just get it at "launch".

It's a really strange decision. :shrug:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Doesn't Sony not have an early access program?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

The game was unplayable for like 2 days after launch. Battle Lounges didn't work consistently for a week. Just 2 days ago lounges went down entirely for a whole day.

They still don't.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's so weird how big of a deal the lack of an arcade mode turned out to be for some people

I don't get it

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

They still don't.

Worked fine for our group tonight.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

It's so weird how big of a deal the lack of an arcade mode turned out to be for some people

I don't get it

People dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Alteisen posted:

Lack of single player features maybe?

Supposedly not very many people bothered with online in MKX.

I can't remember where the figures are now, but Blizzard spoke on starcraft 2 a while ago and they explained that a tiny percentage of people even touched the online versus modes. The vast majority just played campaign alone or beat th AI with other people.

Corbeau posted:

Worked fine for our group tonight.

I never have a name or flag, I can't make lobbies, I have no idea where people are in searches because no bars or flags. I doubt many people like me are willing to keep searching and joining random lobbies until they eventually find someone on the same continent. Hope they work fine by patch day.