Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

ShineDog posted:

No. It's an adventure movie where people stride heroically into perilous situations, and this should be clear at character creation just from the name of the game.

You are going on space adventures for fucks sake. Make a character who would have a space adventure. He might grouse about it, but he's going to draw his blaster and two fisted punch people also.

Hence the "reward" part needing to be on par with the risks. Indiana Jones explores deathtrap filled temples for priceless artefacts or saving the girl, not because he feels like it.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'll have you know Indiana was just out for a walk and bumped into that cave and said "gently caress it, I've got a bag of sand, let's do this"

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
My players just have the video game mindset. For those of you who played Fire Emblem it's like not using vulnaries because they'll break eventually. It's silly. Use your grenades now in this dangerous fight - you can't use them later if you are incapacitated or dead.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Iceclaw posted:

Hence the "reward" part needing to be on par with the risks. Indiana Jones explores deathtrap filled temples for priceless artefacts or saving the girl, not because he feels like it.

Man, the guy never said why the party was there. I'm assuming they actually had a reason to go in and said gently caress it anyway.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Star Wars Episode VIII: Finn and Poe Dithering About Docking Fees For 2 Hours

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Drone posted:

"You manage to negotiate the 400 credit fee down to 100 credits. 100 credits split four ways is 25 credits each"

Assassin droid: "No"
Pilot: "Doesn't Xron (the Entrepreneur) have a lot of money? He should pay"
Xron / Entrepreneur: "Can I roll Negotiation to make them pay instead?"
Pilot, frustrated OOC: "His skill is really high and I don't want to roll against that and end up paying more than 25 credits"
Assassin droid: "..."

The only sensible, good player / the Doctor: "I will just pay the 100 credits"

Party wallets:
Pilot: 3000 credits
Entrepreneur: 3500 credits
Assassin: 3750 credits
Doctor: 1200 credits

:shrug:

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Drone posted:

Honestly I would watch this movie.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

susan posted:

Honestly I would watch this movie.

I'd watch those two doing anything. They're so charming :swoon:

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Sever.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

cptn_dr posted:

I'd watch those two doing anything. They're so charming :swoon:

Drone posted:

Star Wars Episode VIII: Finn and Poe Dithering About Docking Fees For 2 Hours While On Their Honeymoon because THEY ARE MARRIED :swoon:

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

Zodack if you ever run a one shot roll20 or something I will jump in and play I dont claim to be the worlds best player but drat man you deserve to have some fun for once.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beach posted:

Zodack if you ever run a one shot roll20 or something I will jump in and play I dont claim to be the worlds best player but drat man you deserve to have some fun for once.

I'd like to submit a diplomat whose greatest joy in life is paying docking fees upfront and on time.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
The group that I play with has a group fund that we pay all this with, we split 50% of all payments between the 4 of us and the other 50% goes into the ship fund. People can use the fund for cool stuff that they want, but we all have to agree on it.

Paying fees is kind of part of the game, and really? 100 credits?! That is nothing lol!

Is it like a D&D mindset?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Black_Nexus posted:

The group that I play with has a group fund that we pay all this with, we split 50% of all payments between the 4 of us and the other 50% goes into the ship fund. People can use the fund for cool stuff that they want, but we all have to agree on it.

Paying fees is kind of part of the game, and really? 100 credits?! That is nothing lol!

The nascent goon group that we formed here a couple weeks ago has taken to doing this too.. last session we would have each earned like 500something credits or some random number, so we just pushed it down to an even 400 per person with the remainder going into a ship fund.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Black_Nexus posted:

I have to imagine it is. D&D is one of those games where you're practically encouraged to just ignore most rules like that and kill anyone who tried to stand up to you.

Because seriously everyone refusing to pay 25 bucks apiece when they're all loaded is downright obtuse.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Black_Nexus posted:

Funny you should mention a group fund - before the tirade or whatever, the players had asked me if they had a fund like that. Presumably that I, the GM, filled with credits... so they could spend their money on things they wanted all the time.

I post here not to blog but to hope that all of you can take some amount of fun or horror away from my misfortune

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Not sure if this was already posted, but I found this last night, and this is really cool.

Rules for second-hand ship quirks.

It's pretty fun choosing a ship and sort of letting the quirks tell that ship's story. Garish paint job, weird mods and suspect transponder? It belonged to some kids who descided to use it for some illegal activity and got it taken away.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Foolster41 posted:

Not sure if this was already posted, but I found this last night, and this is really cool.

Rules for second-hand ship quirks.

It's pretty fun choosing a ship and sort of letting the quirks tell that ship's story. Garish paint job, weird mods and suspect transponder? It belonged to some kids who descided to use it for some illegal activity and got it taken away.

Oh wow, good find! When I start my campaign the ship the group will be using will definitely be second-hand (I'm thinking they'll hijack and get away in an impounded ship, when escaping an Imperial/police compound/lock-up after rescuing a rebel-affiliated prisoner being held temporarily in a holding cell or something, perhaps), so it'll definitely make things interesting, with the ship having some flaws after being mistreated by the previous owner! :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 10, 2016

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Oh wow, good find! When I start my campaign the ship the group will be using will definitely be second-hand (I'm thinking they'll hijack and get away in an impounded ship, when escaping an Imperial/police compound/lock-up after rescuing a rebel-affiliated prisoner being held temporarily in a holding cell or something, perhaps), so it'll definitely make things interesting, with the ship having some flaws after being mistreated by the previous owner! :D

I'm actually working on a ship generator program using this now, though it's going to be a while until I finish it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Foolster41 posted:

I'm actually working on a ship generator program using this now, though it's going to be a while until I finish it.

Awwww yissssss. Cannot wait.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Plot time!

When my players originally fought Trex, I had him escape his death through the use of a destiny point. He got away and came after the PCs again with IG-88 and two magnaguards at his side. The players killed Trex, and IG-88 immediately gave up the fight because there was no longer any money in it and left.

I decided that Trex was the brother of Bossk, and the ancient Trandoshan religion of Jagganath wouldn't let him take the murder of a family member as anything other than a loss of points, so he set out to lure the PCs into a trap. He kidnapped two of their NPCs (Gavin Kale and Saelyssa, some might remember them from the PbP game I ran) and then told them to come to Nar Shaddaa and give themselves up and he would exchange the lives of their friends for the deaths of all of the PCs. Fair, right? So the PCs have been pulling some major heists for the last few sessions just to get access to the Hutt's tower that they know Bossk is staying in. Tomorrow is the big fight.

I wanted to run my plan for the conflict past you guys and see if it'd work. The PCs made friends with a hacker who is going to try to shut down any automated defenses in the place, like turrets and blast doors, so there won't be many of those to use. Pretty much they're going to be fighting through Hutt palace security to get to the theatre/hangar bay that Bossk is holding their friends in.

I wanted to have the fight be between Bossk, the PCs, and a handful of elite guards (likely on swoops or something like that, klatooinians doing drive-bys). The Hound's Tooth is going to be nearby, and he's going to have Gavin and Saelyssa tied up inside it. Whenever the PCs have tried to examine anything about Bossk I've basically described him as 'collateral damage given humanoid form' or 'a man-shaped explosive delivery system.' He's going to be using a light repeater with the blast and auto-fire qualities and basically blowing poo poo up. I want explosions, smoke, the whole nine.

Once the PCs take him down (I'm thinking Soak 7 or 8 and 25 hp, Adversary 2), it's going to end that phase of the combat. Bossk is going to pull out a detonator and press the button, causing a series of explosives all over the tower, but especially on the floor above the hangar, to start going off. He high-tails it in the Hound's Tooth and the PCs get to their own ship to give chase. Once they've done a bit of damage to it, Bossk will break out of the cockpit in his advanced Z-95 (the z-95 serves at the cockpit of his freighter), leaving the freighter with the hostages to fall to the city. He fights a bit more ship-to-ship, and then crashes.

Next phase is another ground combat. He's totally enraged now (soak 8 or 9, 35 hp, Adversary 3), and just a beast to fight. There's a bit of a worry of them using the ship's guns to fight him, but I don't think they'd be able to even hit him, honestly. They have the option of killing him (which could make the point debt pass to someone else) or capturing him to humiliate him, which would set his points to 0 and make him more concerned with earning something before he died than coming after them again, ending his vengeance.

I wanted to make it kind of an epic fight since it's likely the biggest fight they'll have of the campaign. Too much? Too boring? Not enough? I'm open to suggestions.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Here it is, version 1 of the EotE ship generator. It should have enough stuff to be functional, though I didn't copy all the ship stats over. There's only 14 ships for now (though my focus was on ships that could 4+ people, and obviously I tried to hit the really iconic ones).

I'll also work on making it look better eventually. Feedback is of course welcome.

E: Mustache is right. A web version would be more convenient, and I don't want to be working on two versions, so a web version is coming soon. I'm working on it now.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 11, 2016

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It looks nice, and I certainly can see the use in having random quirks made up for a ship like you're doing, but I think it would be better if you made it a website than a standalone program. That way you can have it generate on the fly.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Mustache Ride posted:

It looks nice, and I certainly can see the use in having random quirks made up for a ship like you're doing, but I think it would be better if you made it a website than a standalone program. That way you can have it generate on the fly.

Maybe I'll do a web version too, though I'm not nearly as experienced with Javascript.I'll only be able to do text output.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Swags posted:

Plot time!

I wanted to make it kind of an epic fight since it's likely the biggest fight they'll have of the campaign. Too much? Too boring? Not enough? I'm open to suggestions.

I don't have a specific suggestion, but I think making it epic hinges more on things the players decide rather than things you decide. You've constructed it cinematically, but all the cinema is your own input. Like, if you can think of some way to flip the thing you have sketched out so that it's the players' choices, rather than their rolls or your narrated events, that determine when they move to the next stage, that would be better. It may well be that Bossk goes to zero health on a great roll, but you can't count on that, you know? He might also go to zero on a "I fire my blaster -- ok, I do a net of two Wounds" and that's just not as epic, no matter how many explosions you say happen in the background. I encourage you to think instead of behaviors he might exhibit in battle that encourage creative play -- that his detonations have a delay round in which players can use Bossk's explosions or explosives creatively, or that he has other equipment they can use against him, or that a running battle takes place in an environment where all PCs. If nothing else, exploding barrels painted red, you know?

Also ship chases are kinda boring in EoTE. Make them open-top speeders if you have to use vehicles, or non-vehicular objects carried along by powerful forces like gravity or lava. Jumping to other vehicles/platforms/whatever, PCs not just beholden to the choices and rolls of the pilot.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Swags posted:

Plot time!

When my players originally fought Trex, I had him escape his death through the use of a destiny point. He got away and came after the PCs again with IG-88 and two magnaguards at his side. The players killed Trex, and IG-88 immediately gave up the fight because there was no longer any money in it and left.

I decided that Trex was the brother of Bossk, and the ancient Trandoshan religion of Jagganath wouldn't let him take the murder of a family member as anything other than a loss of points, so he set out to lure the PCs into a trap. He kidnapped two of their NPCs (Gavin Kale and Saelyssa, some might remember them from the PbP game I ran) and then told them to come to Nar Shaddaa and give themselves up and he would exchange the lives of their friends for the deaths of all of the PCs. Fair, right? So the PCs have been pulling some major heists for the last few sessions just to get access to the Hutt's tower that they know Bossk is staying in. Tomorrow is the big fight.

I wanted to run my plan for the conflict past you guys and see if it'd work. The PCs made friends with a hacker who is going to try to shut down any automated defenses in the place, like turrets and blast doors, so there won't be many of those to use. Pretty much they're going to be fighting through Hutt palace security to get to the theatre/hangar bay that Bossk is holding their friends in.

I wanted to have the fight be between Bossk, the PCs, and a handful of elite guards (likely on swoops or something like that, klatooinians doing drive-bys). The Hound's Tooth is going to be nearby, and he's going to have Gavin and Saelyssa tied up inside it. Whenever the PCs have tried to examine anything about Bossk I've basically described him as 'collateral damage given humanoid form' or 'a man-shaped explosive delivery system.' He's going to be using a light repeater with the blast and auto-fire qualities and basically blowing poo poo up. I want explosions, smoke, the whole nine.

Once the PCs take him down (I'm thinking Soak 7 or 8 and 25 hp, Adversary 2), it's going to end that phase of the combat. Bossk is going to pull out a detonator and press the button, causing a series of explosives all over the tower, but especially on the floor above the hangar, to start going off. He high-tails it in the Hound's Tooth and the PCs get to their own ship to give chase. Once they've done a bit of damage to it, Bossk will break out of the cockpit in his advanced Z-95 (the z-95 serves at the cockpit of his freighter), leaving the freighter with the hostages to fall to the city. He fights a bit more ship-to-ship, and then crashes.

Next phase is another ground combat. He's totally enraged now (soak 8 or 9, 35 hp, Adversary 3), and just a beast to fight. There's a bit of a worry of them using the ship's guns to fight him, but I don't think they'd be able to even hit him, honestly. They have the option of killing him (which could make the point debt pass to someone else) or capturing him to humiliate him, which would set his points to 0 and make him more concerned with earning something before he died than coming after them again, ending his vengeance.

Also don't have two ship stages: just let him crash with his ship and have the final combat stage there.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Odd question that's come up in at least two short campaigns I've run: What is the encumbrance value of a body, either living or dead? Like, to figure out how many refugees (or slaves) could fit in a cargo hold, or how heavy someone is to carry. We've been using a value of "8," but none of us can remember how we arrived at that number.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I feel you have Bossk all wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBoMfDyzR9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VBoB5zuOFg

I... kind of think of the bounty hunters in those terms now?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

""Ah, Bossk, my son and heir! I was hoping you'd be here for the festivities. We'll tell the musicians to strike up the old songs, the ones our spawn-fathers knew, and we'll do the lizard dance all around the courtyard—"

Remember, the old EU is still canon in our hearts and minds and tabletop spacegames.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Foolster41 posted:

Here it is, version 1 of the EotE ship generator. It should have enough stuff to be functional, though I didn't copy all the ship stats over. There's only 14 ships for now (though my focus was on ships that could 4+ people, and obviously I tried to hit the really iconic ones).

I'll also work on making it look better eventually. Feedback is of course welcome.

E: Mustache is right. A web version would be more convenient, and I don't want to be working on two versions, so a web version is coming soon. I'm working on it now.

Also would be good if the ship and flaws were dropdowns, so you could select a specific ship, or even randomly generate an extra flaw for an already flawed ship and get the right stats.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Foolster41 posted:

Cool! I'll be interested in giving it a whirl once you're done, like the others here. Can you post it once you've finished it, once you get a moment? (well, the web version at least, seeing as it appears you've discontinued support for your downloadable version)
Thanks - you're doin' god's work with this, as they say!

EDIT: Oh also, is anyone aware of any planets (or large space station, or asteroid bases, etc. etc.) where they get bombed into oblivion during/just before/just after the GCW, for example Alderaan, Talos (I think it's called - from KOTOR. Bad example really, in terms of when it occurred, but similar scenario), or Callos? (I'd use Callos -which I found out about in the X-Wing minis game- although there's actually no info or pictures of the natives/Callosians, so I feel that it's a bit of a dead-end/'stub' resource) Since I'm thinking about having my players do some missions around one in the lead-up to its destruction, then once the attack is sprung (possibly while they're partying/taking leave after a successful mission), they scramble to get off the planet through the blockade - possibly helping evacuate some other people as well.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 11, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ralltiir was bombarded and subsequently invaded by Lord Tion, an Imperial governor/military commander, on the Emperor's orders, shortly before and during ANH.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Also would be good if the ship and flaws were dropdowns, so you could select a specific ship, or even randomly generate an extra flaw for an already flawed ship and get the right stats.

I was thinking at least a way of re-rolling flaws on a ship would be neat. (Which I just now slapped onto the program).

Doing the drop-downs would be a little more complex, I'll put that on my to do list.

Major Isoor posted:

Cool! I'll be interested in giving it a whirl once you're done, like the others here. Can you post it once you've finished it, once you get a moment? (well, the web version at least, seeing as it appears you've discontinued support for your downloadable version)
Thanks - you're doin' god's work with this, as they say!

Here's what I have so far, after a few hours. It has all the quirks, but only has 610 ships.

I would have kept the offline version up, but I noticed some bugs, and like I said, I'd rather focus on one version.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 11, 2016

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Looks good!

Drone posted:

Ralltiir was bombarded and subsequently invaded by Lord Tion, an Imperial governor/military commander, on the Emperor's orders, shortly before and during ANH.

And ah, excellent - it even includes an opportunity for them to come back and take out the corrupt governor overseeing the (post-bombing) Imperial occupation! Just what I'm after - thanks

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Major Isoor posted:

EDIT: Oh also, is anyone aware of any planets (or large space station, or asteroid bases, etc. etc.) where they get bombed into oblivion during/just before/just after the GCW, for example Alderaan, Talos (I think it's called - from KOTOR. Bad example really, in terms of when it occurred, but similar scenario), or Callos? (I'd use Callos -which I found out about in the X-Wing minis game- although there's actually no info or pictures of the natives/Callosians, so I feel that it's a bit of a dead-end/'stub' resource) Since I'm thinking about having my players do some missions around one in the lead-up to its destruction, then once the attack is sprung (possibly while they're partying/taking leave after a successful mission), they scramble to get off the planet through the blockade - possibly helping evacuate some other people as well.

Geonosis is sterilized sometime between the end of the Clone Wars and 4BBY.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Test Pattern posted:

Geonosis is sterilized sometime between the end of the Clone Wars and 4BBY.
Yeah, but the reason why Geonosis is sterilized make it difficult to have PCs on the planet unless they are specifically there to spy on the Death Star.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Alright fellas, session 4 with my group (we're still a man down) is tomorrow and this time around it's my job to finally try to appease the Assassin because of his inactivity the last two sessions. Meanwhile the Pilot is inevitably going to try to stick it to the Empire and bungle it, probably pissing off the Assassin in the process.

God rest my soul

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, but the reason why Geonosis is sterilized make it difficult to have PCs on the planet unless they are specifically there to spy on the Death Star.

Also, "save the murderous bug people whose lifecycle seems to include a zombifying brainworm stage" is a bit of a hard sell.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
I don't suppose FFG sells an adversary deck of starships (TIEs, X-wings, etc), so a GM could have a card sleeve page of pilot stats and ship stats at the same time? Or would that be too convenient?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

susan posted:

I don't suppose FFG sells an adversary deck of starships (TIEs, X-wings, etc), so a GM could have a card sleeve page of pilot stats and ship stats at the same time? Or would that be too convenient?

Sadly the only adversary decks so far are people and some droids.

Hopefully ships will come soon though!!!