Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I'll admit I kinda like the Loveless though. It's cheesy and dumb in a way that let's me look at Genesis and go "okay he's a doofus who thinks way too much of himself and shouldn't actually be taken seriously". And conceptually I do like what they were going for. The fan club emails go more into it, but Loveless is supposed to be this partially recovered early epic, in the vein of Gilgamesh, and having trying to reconstruct the missing portions be the lifelong hobby of a random character is pretty cool. Loveless just isn't actually good, so it's funny instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

nine-gear crow posted:

I've never met a single person on this side of the Pacific who's played Crisis Core that even remotely likes Genesis. Mostly due to the fact that he's a dumb, teenage poetry-spouting retcon loser who was Nomura's love letter to a weird J-Pop star, because this was the era where Noruma was still king poo poo at Square and could get away with anything (ie: before he spent 6 years working on FFXV and managed to produce only two trailers and 5% of a complete game and Square box'd him for it when they finally found out).

Basically, Genesis kind of landed with a giant wet fart.

I can say two good things about Crisis Core.
1. Zack is awesome, if a little bit...dull.
2. I like how it shows Sephiroth before all the crazy crazy he went in FF7.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I think I've found the full game script for CC on DeviantArt, Nashun. Can you enable your PMs so I can message it to you?

Edit: Actually, never mind. It looks like it only goes up to the end of Chapter 4.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 7, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

That's, uh, one place to find it. Is there a Japanese script too? I'm vaguely curious, especially about the JP name for dumbapples.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

That's, uh, one place to find it. Is there a Japanese script too? I'm vaguely curious, especially about the JP name for dumbapples.

"Idiot Apple" (baka ringo).

I legit can't tell if dumbapple is a better or worse term for it...

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Nashun posted:

Chapter 07: Words Without Meaning

Edit: you know, with that collar and that hair he actually looks a lot like Lightning from FFXII from the shoulders up.,

I know it's very minor, but Lightning is from FF XIII.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

I know it's very minor, but Lightning is from FF XIII.

Corrected! I am a failure at typing enough I's. I will make up for this by randomly inserting them into my next update. I do not mind if you yell errors at me because at some point I need to read this drat thing over again myself when I'm done pre-archiving and the less to fix the better.

Nashun fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 8, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Ask Fedule to rename the thread Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VIII to gently caress with people.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Chapter 08: SCIENCE!

So last chapter what was a bit of a downer. Let’s see if maybe Zack can turn things around a bit with the help of SCIENCE! But first a word from our sponsor employers.

Click to Watch

Music: The Burdened

Everyone’s real happy. As for me…

You’re a little more important than my sword.

You know these are important memories because the screen is covered in vaseline while they are played.

Luckily for our moping quotient Zack is interrupted by a phone call.

It’s been a while, Zack

Sephiroth?

Come to Lazard’s room.

Alright.

But like hell we’d ever listen to a superior in SOLDIER to go see our boss. We got poo poo to do and people to talk to!

Music: The Mako City

Ah everybody’s good friend Hojo. We’ll be seeing a fair bit of him in general and later this update in specific. He’s great and still a glorious bastard.

Click to Watch

So this is one of the slightly more in depth memories that can pop up on the DMW that I mentioned. Sometime largely off camera Zack has been training with Sephiroth post-Wutai.

Man this is going to be rough. Those things have HUGE defense and lots of HP.

One blow, you hear me?

Sephiroth has probably been punching that thing offscreen to make that happen. Or lending Zack some sweet materia.

Jeeze thanks for the motivation there Sephiroth. So apparently they then carried on murdering whatever wildlife they came across until Sephiroth was satisfied at Zack’s prowess. It is not clear at all but I’d presume this scene happened before the Banora mission? Also snagged up level 12 from that one as well.

So like Ifrit we can now rematch with Bahamut to get its materia for the DMW. This fight is a bit of a bastard and they aren’t joking listing it as hard.

MOST of his attacks are about the same damage as before if a touch stronger and he’s got quite a bit more HP.

Megaflare however can just go right and gently caress itself. It hits HARD.

Look closely at my stat bars in the bottom! In addition to being way more damaging it now also drains your MP and AP.

Fun fact: You probably will not actually notice until this fight but blocking and rolling take AP. I remembered this about the time I went to I-frame through his tail and lost 350 HP instead.

He also picked up Graviga. I’m not sure how hard it hits without blocking but I don’t recommend finding out.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention. Megaflare can actually straight up kill you now.

Thanks to the nice lady in the lobby giving potion samples I’m not down for the count, but my margin for screwing up just got a lot smaller.

Megaflare #3!

Oh and he also picks up Flare which does about 60 damage when blocked and probably north of 500 if not.

Suck it.

So now Bahamut is free to show up as a Limit on our DMW. When he does he plays the same FMV for his attack against us and Mega Flares the opposing team.

SOLDIER 2nd Class: They’re called “AVALANCHE.” I hear they’re avid students of planet life.

Weirdly this is not actually the AVALANCHE we are familiar with. The one from FF7 is basically an homage to this one(by lore, yes I know it’s dumb). The Before Crisis cell phone game is about the Turks hunting down the original AVALANCHE. We will not be dealing with them at all but they get mentioned a few more times by random dudes.

Infantryman: Hence, it is off limits to all other personnel. This applies to you as well, Mr. SOLDIER.

This guy is great. Someone give him a promotion.

Infantryman: Hence, I must call upon your conscience to decide whether you will enter or not.

Well, how could we not enter? The world famous scientist Hojo is here! I’m sure he is doing some ethical experiments he would love to show to us.

Let’s see what his identical twin lab techs have to say. My theory is all Shinra line scientists are clones that have face blindness so they don’t realize they all look the same. Or you know, laziness in modeling but what’s the fun in that?

Researcher 1: *sigh* Just hearing him cackle is enough to give me a migraine.

Researcher 2: I don’t mean to be rude, but if you’re not here for the tests, I have to ask you to leave.

Experiment? What experiment?

Never mind. Just go in the Training Room.

I can’t go in without knowing what for!

I want to verify the virtual data I extracted from a certain SOLDIER operative’s combat results. You are going to help me validate my data by participating in simulated combat.

Battle data! The joy of all great anime and JRPG scientists.

Hehehehe

....Did you say something

Nothing at all. Let us begin.

I submit document one into evidence: Zack using the goddamn VR training room without any VR goggles on. What was the point of them at the end of the intro section? They will literally never be seen again in several more trips here.

So battle one is vs. some Wutai troops and a Foulander. They have either the exact same stats from that mission or close to it. They die in 1-2 hits.

That wasn’t a fluke! That was all me!

This is by far the most scientific thing Hojo ever has, or will say in the entire of the FF7 universe.

So here’s your chance to prove your abilities. Go and fight the next monster.

Prove my abilities? You bet!

...What did you say?

Nothing. Let us begin.

Battle #2 is some guard dogs. THey die in one critical or 2 hits to the front. I’m not impressed with your so called “science” so far, Doc. I do feel sorry for whatever redshirt was going to get shoved in this lab though.

That was nothing for a SOLDIER operative!

SOLDIER? Oh, I see...You’re a member of SOLDIER… Then give the next program a try. This one shouldn’t be a problem for someone in SOLDIER.

I’ll fight everything you throw at me!

Did I hear you say something?

You heard nothing. Let us begin.

Oh hey! A new(if reskinned enemy). The Blood Taste is an upgraded Guard Hound. They come packing a poison attack with their head whip and can drain your life a bit. Slightly sturdier than the previous fights, but nothing major.

Zack can be a bit slow, but he knows danger when he sees it.

You should be proud of yourself. It’s only once every couple years that we get someone like you.

Gee, I’m glad to have beaten THOSE odds…

While we’re here, how would you like to have a go against an extra-special program?

An extra-special program?

Researcher #2: Professor Hojo! You’re not pitting a human against that program, are you!?

Researcher #1:: Not THAT one! Please say you’re not serious!

It would be a great match for a wonderful study sample such as yourself… Hehehe....

Bring it on!

Researcher #2:: It may just cost your life! This program is not safe by ANY means!

Maybe this isn’t such a good idea...I still have to go for it!

We actually have to choose to fight it a second time despite the warnings of the researchers. What’s the worst that could happen!

Hehehe… Hahahahaaa! You are a worthy study sample, indeed!

So yes. The VR room can kill you. This is an intentional feature of it it because: Hojo. So presumably had Angeal been playing Candy Crush on his cell phone and not monitoring the mission properly Holo Deck Moriarty Sephiroth could have actually killed Zack.

Now, my precious program, show him why I am great! All shall bow down powerless in your presence....

Behemoth rematch! Or Experiment No. 88. But whatever, close enough. This time on our own terms with our own gear!

It really isn’t scary at all. Now that I’ve been playing long enough to get my groove back I pretty much just dodge roll through an unending series of Gyro Tails.

Somewhere in there I get a lovely Octaslash Off.

Man I was mad at myself when I got hit here. He literally has five slashes of HP left and this is the first time I got smacked in the whole fight. I just couldn’t see myself to time the dodge roll properly.

...Yes. I am a genius, after all.

Yes... With my knowledge, skills, and inspiration... You and I are going to develop a special relationship. Hee hee hee!

:gonk:

hello? You’re not listening, are you?

At this point Zack is like NOOOOOPE and evacuates the area.

SOLDIER 3rd Class: I found out something else by accident while looking at SOLDIER’s investment report… Did you know that Banora’s budget was being paid for by Shinra?

Apparently the Dumbapple business just wasn’t enough to keep the ol’ town afloat. Though it’s pretty weird Shinra was the one doing that. Also I hope I’m not the only one laughing that a totalitarian government/power company apparently has to still file investor reports for its shareholders and those are all public information.

And now it is finally time to head up and see what Sephiroth and Lazard want.

Well if we weren’t interrupted by two new mails.

Lazard really loves talking about distortions. My guess is he went to some leadership meeting BS like Six Sigma and got that as a fancy new buzzword. He’ll be applying a paradigm shift to pivot to market fluctuations and :suicide:

Oh right I should check out our goody box. This time it is a Star Pendant which prevents poison from happening. Mildly useful in an upcoming dungeon! (I will not use it)

SOLDIER 2nd Class: I don’t know what would keep him so busy after a war.

Oh and I also forgot about these schmucks hanging out in the briefing room. There is a lot of random side poo poo this chapter to hit up.

SOLDIER 3rd Class Lv. 1: ...I’m sorry, sir…

SOLDIER 2nd Class: I don’t think you understand the most important thing about being a SOLDIER operative.

Crisis Core really love this camera angle. Probably more than just about anything else I’ve seen or watched. The 2nd then just walks off. Also, how come we don’t have any 3rds to boss around? It’s not fair!

I’m Zack. Nice to meet you!

SOLDIER 3rd Class Lv. 1: Yes, sir. I joined SOLDIER just last month. But I can’t seem to get anything right…

You’re gonna let a few mistakes get to you? Stay strong. You’re in SOLDIER!

Aw, come on! Don’t be such a wuss! Buck up!

SOLDIER 3rd Class Lv. 1: I know, but…

SOLDIER 3rd Class Lv. 1: What!? You’d do that for me?

Just don’t tell anyone! And be sure to watch and learn! You got it?

SOLDIER 3rd Class Lv. 1: Yes...I’ll try…

More side missions acquired! He’ll actually show up in those so they’ll get covered at...some point down the line. I hope that 2nd isn’t big on punctuality.

I keep getting closer to Lazard’s office but it is apparently just not possible to actually get there.

So, the war’s over…

The company reports don’t mention you at all. And the TV news only talks about “Sephiroth’s remarkable bravery.”

To be fair to Sephiroth, from the tone of the e-mail we got from the President he was way more important to the war effort on the whole. Zack just kicked out the last brick holding up Wutai.

Heroes are chosen by the media, that’s just how it is.

Man, that’s cold, Kunsel.

Apparently Lazard WAS a bit pre-emptive calling Zack a hero.

Oh, come on. Cheer up, will ya?

Click to Watch

Hey, Seph. Smug as ever I see. Also nice Ipad you got there.

Congratulations. As of this moment...

Huh.

Well, apparently the recommendation coming from a traitor didn’t hurt Zack too much in the eyes of Lazard.

Understandable. Too much happened too fast.

Are you pushing another assignment on me?

Whatever.

I’ll fill you in on the assignment, but before that…go to the briefing room and change into a SOLDIER 1st Class uniform.

I think I actually like Zack in the 2nd uniform better. With his black hair he’s a bit too one note now.

More importantly!

Also we get ambushed by this scientist. With our promotion to first class we now have access to Materia fusion. In addition to getting materia from shops or mission rewards, we can also combine ones we already have to power them up or create entirely new ones. He also hands us a Fire and Blizzard materia to try it out! What a pal

So this is the REAL use of SP I mentioned way back in update 1. Pretty much any time we combine two of the three main elements of a similar level we’ll get a materia of the third main element at that level. In this case a Thunder with +2 magic! If we use higher level base materia the result will come out stronger.

There are materia you will outright never see if you do not use fusion and some of them are real awesome. I don’t use it a ton this playthrough because the game is already pretty easy and doing missions on the side is already kind of borderline breaking it.

I picked up a Libra(Shows enemy HP in addition to the name now and needed for a million fusions) and am now running all three elements in addition to Cure and HP up! Gear is just to add sturdiness with more HP and Vit.

The first of many e-mails falsely claiming the demise of various important people!

Apparently Kunsel just couldn’t tell us about this earlier so had to e-mail us about how he cried to LOVELESS. All respect lost.

We COULD go back to talking to our boss, or gently caress off to Sector 8 to see what’s what and show off our new duds.

Sephiroth Fan: That goes to show that Sephiroth is SOLDIER’s greatest. He’s going to be more popular than ever.

The Genesis fan has been freaking out and running in circles.

Genesis Fan: It has to be a lie..or some kind of mistake… Oooh! I just can’t stand still! Ah!? A mail from headquarters!

Angeal Fan: We’ll never see his handsome smile again… But this isn’t the end for us. We, the fans, have to carry on. Huh? A mail from headquarters? Wh-what is this?

Apparently HQ didn’t quite get the memo.

Back in some alley…

Yeah, I’m in SOLDIER. Zack’s the name.

Man: Hmph. I don’t know where you Shinra people get off, being so arrogant…

Around Midgar?

Man: What? Don’t tell me you didn’t know about this. Didn’t you say you were in SOLDIER?

Sir, I assure you Shinra tells neither jack nor poo poo to anybody in their military unless they absolutely have to.

Man: Then here’s something else you should know.

Man: When they sense the planet’s danger, they are roused to destroy “that which ills the planet.”

What does that have to do with the monsters?

Dramatic low, slightly Dutch angle!

Hahaha. You’ve got a wild imagination, buddy.

Man: Hmph. Laugh it up while you can.

A gentleman on a black chocobo? I might know someone like that…

Employee: No way! You know him too? He looks so suave in his ten-gallon hat. And he’s such a nice guy, too!

I assure you, madame, that man is a liar and a cheat.

Employee: Just the other day, on my way to Kalm, I was attacked by monsters. You’ve heard about them roaming around Midgar and Kalm, haven’t you?

Well I have at least as of two minutes ago, so we’ll go with y es.

Employee: I’d rather trust my life to him than any average SOLDIER guy.

It’s never directly stated but this almost has to be Joe and Teioh the jerks that always have higher stats than you in Gold Saucer Chocobo Racing. Also this and the Weapon guy mad at Shinra both unlock side missions.

Genesis Fan: Rest in peace, dear Genesis. Your search for truth in LOVELESS will be carried on by the Study Group.

And one last e-mail from the Angeal Fan Club as we run back into Shinra tower. They are still firmly in denial I guess.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wonderful, it's Hojo. What nonsense is he going to get up to in this game? Kicking a puppy?

Oh wait.

Nashun posted:

Are you pushing another assignment on me?

Whatever.

The amount of contempt he manages to fit into his words here is great.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I was going to laugh at "Rhapsodos" but with that second-to-last email? They had to be taking the piss out of him. :allears:

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

No matter how many times I see this game I will always see DMW as DMV.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Soldier First class uniform doesn't have ab-showing open sections in it?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Alavaria posted:

Soldier First class uniform doesn't have ab-showing open sections in it?

No one has the heart to tell Sephiroth he forgot his shirt. :ssh:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Derek Barona posted:

No one has the heart to tell Sephiroth he forgot his shirt. :ssh:

I don't know if it's been brought up yet, think it's in fanmail, but firsts can wear whatever they want really.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015

Silegna posted:

I don't know if it's been brought up yet, think it's in fanmail, but firsts can wear whatever they want really.

I think it is in one of the Sephiroth memories of all things. Basically once you make first you can use your own personal gear(Hence all the wack rear end weapons while 2nds and 3rds are all using the same sword as Zack). Also apparently as long as they don't abuse it they can tell Shinra to gently caress off once in a while on a mission. Which makes no goddamned sense to me, but who am I to tell Shinra what to do.

Also Shinra knows that if Sephiroth covered up his chests the fangirls would lead a popular uprising against them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nashun posted:

Also Shinra knows that if Sephiroth covered up his chests the fangirls would lead a popular uprising against them.

So THAT'S why they're stationed in Midgar.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Y'know, semi-random thought here, but does any of the FF7 EU stuff ever actually explicitly state where and when Shinra got started? Most of the world history that's ever mentioned in-game always seems to start at like, 35 A.S. and they're already this big massive corporation that rules most of the known world, but you can tell just from basic context that places like Midgar and Junon, the two major metropolitan strongpoints of the entire company, definitely did not exist in any recognizable form until recently. It's just something that bugs me every once in awhile when I think about it.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Derek Barona posted:

Y'know, semi-random thought here, but does any of the FF7 EU stuff ever actually explicitly state where and when Shinra got started? Most of the world history that's ever mentioned in-game always seems to start at like, 35 A.S. and they're already this big massive corporation that rules most of the known world, but you can tell just from basic context that places like Midgar and Junon, the two major metropolitan strongpoints of the entire company, definitely did not exist in any recognizable form until recently. It's just something that bugs me every once in awhile when I think about it.

The FFX-2 Ultimania guide implies the kid called Shinra in that game eventually space-travels from Spira to FF7s planet to found the Shinra company, using his knowledge of the farplane to exploit Mako before anyone else knew how, or some other ridiculous bullshit.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Shazaminator posted:

The FFX-2 Ultimania guide implies the kid called Shinra in that game eventually space-travels from Spira to FF7s planet to found the Shinra company, using his knowledge of the farplane to exploit Mako before anyone else knew how, or some other ridiculous bullshit.

Final Fantasy 10 is the same planet. Gaia.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Yeah, I've read the X-2 LP and I dare anyone to tell me that makes any loving sense. loving Square doesn't have any idea how to do world building right.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I liked it better when I thought the Shinra kid from X-2 was just typical FF self-homage. That whole concept sounds loving retarded.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Derek Barona posted:

Yeah, I've read the X-2 LP and I dare anyone to tell me that makes any loving sense. loving Square doesn't have any idea how to do world building right.

They do and they don't. It wasn't surprising that X was the first game in the series to get a proper sequel, since they do a lot right - Spira has a distinct culture, religion, etc, compared to the other games in the series to that point, which were varying degrees of swords and sworcery, with the occasional bit of steampunk or technology to keep things interesting. Same with XIII, which tried to do much the same thing to a greater or lesser degree, and, guess what, that also saw a couple of sequels. Of course, once they start expanding on those points, well, all bets are off, everyone on board the crazy train to Batshit City, suplexes are non-negotiable.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Silegna posted:

Final Fantasy 10 is the same planet. Gaia.

I think they said the Al Bhed space traveled to Gaia or some nonsense. Which, I'm pretty sure, makes no sense given that Jenova was some weird space traveler thing that destroyed worlds and the fact that space travel was beyond the characters in VII until Cid launched that rocket.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
IIRC it never actually comes up at all in FFX-2 itself. It's just a throw away line in Ultimania guide that happens to be incredibly stupid. At the Time X-2 was made the Shinra name was likely just an homage to FF7. I'd be very surprised if they had any intent of actually tying the two games together. Maybe we'll find a wrecked Space Celsius in the FF7 remake or something however :v:

And update should be up in a few hours. Mostly written, but need to do some errands and the edit read. And toss together a video I forgot to make.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Digital Jello posted:

I liked it better when I thought the Shinra kid from X-2 was just typical FF self-homage. That whole concept sounds loving retarded.

Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Omega:
“Shinra is a boy who supports the Gullwings, the group which the main protagonist, Yuna, belongs to. He carries a name that gives him an association to the Shin-Ra Company, and he is researching a method that could utilize the energy of "the life force that flows through our planet." The results of this cannot be seen in FFX-2, but maybe one day his descendants will establish a "company that supplies the energy of the planet"?”

It IS just a typical self-homage; all of the Final Fantasy worlds seem to be connected by some kind of multiverse (looking at you, Dissidia), but the connections are hardly dramatic.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Chapter 09: Can Love Bloom On The Battlefield?

So last time we got that sweet promotion we always wanted. Also we agreed to do a lot menial labor for lovely SOLDIER operatives and hippies complaining about monsters attacking people. This time we’ll jump straight into the business and ride it right out the door!

Click to Watch

This includes Angeal as well.

No, the Shinra Army will handle it.

God that is going to be a BLOODBATH. Between the army of Genesized ex-SOLDIERs and the men themselves they better send most of the army after them.

What about me?

They don’t trust you.

Well, of course!

That’s why I’m going too.

To kill them?

Well that isn’t quite the response you are looking for. Also I’m not actually sure what our job is supposed to be. Shinra Army is supposed to handle this. Maybe Lazard just wants Sephiroth and Zack on hand because he knows this whole op is going to go sideways.

Although it looks like that problem gets to wait for another day. Sirens start blaring and security curtains drop over all the bookcases and poo poo along the wall.

Where?

Music: On the Verge of the Assault (from FFVII ''Those Who Fight'')

Close. Sephiroth, the president! Zack, entrance.

Zack. Yeah, you got it!

Zack runs out. Sephiroth merely casually strolls to protect the leader of the not-so-free world.

-End Video-

We hop on an elevator down, but, of course it stops because ??? Conveniently on the SOLDIER floor no less. The one other floor outside the lobby they actually modeled.

We have the option to just keep riding to the entrance, but this is a video game! There is no way we can stick to orders from our boss. Gotta check out whatever random poo poo strikes our fancy.

Researcher: Please, do something about...THAT...quickly!

“That?”

What they are is Red Saucers. The weakest of the weak. They DO have an attack but are usually dead before they can use it. Later on the fuckers get barrier though which is kind of annoying.

What was that?

Researcher: You’ve never seen one before? That was a Shinra Building intruder neutralization mech.

Intruder neutralization? So why was it attacking Shinra staff?

Researcher: It just suddenly went out of control. They’re stationed in other areas, too. Can you go check on them?

Hmm, the director told me to go to the entrance, but…

Oh good. Hackers and security flaws! Sounds like a great day to work for Shinra. I wonder how many random employees are getting murdered by mouse droids as we gently caress around here. And yeah, we have a few more people to rescue from rogue robots on this floor.

SOLDIER 3rd Class: Behind...you…

Huh?

Apparently these guys run pretty quietly. Or Zack is just oblivious. Either option seems legit.

Did that mech get you?

SOLDIER 3rd Class: P-pathetic, isn’t it? A SOLDIER member getting beaten by something like that?

Yeah it really is. I’m not going to defend you here.

We all have our bad days.

Zack is a far nicer man than I.

SOLDIER 3rd Class: Um, this was a good day for me…

But even Zack has limits.

SOLDIER 3rd Class: To be honest, I’m not really fond of fighting…

Come on, pull yourself together! You’re SOLDIER!

SOLDIER 3rd Class: I-I apologize, sir! I’ll be on my way now.

Man. Recruiting standards really fallen since they have had to recruit to make up for the defection. Now I really wonder how much of a gently caress up young Cloud was not to make it in. The SOLDIER also gives us an ether in thanks. :shrug:

Screaming!? Is someone from SOLDIER in there?

Not quite! Unless they really changed the dress code recently. I am actually now kind of curious if they’ll make any of the Shinra soldiers / SOLDIERs women in the remake. Basically outside our party and Elena of the Turks there was a dearth of them. I think Scarlet is as close as they got and her whole showing was a cut scene slap fight with Tifa.

Shinra employees? What are they doing in there?

Zack runs in and yells at the employees to get the gently caress out. Not that the bots were really doing much but vaguely menacing the pair.

It’s always nice when they line up and you just thunder them all in one shot.

Employee: W-well, the Science Department had the Training Room all day… S-so we were here for...erm...maintenance…

:crossarms:

Just the two of you? Maintenance?

Zack is not buying what those two are selling.

Employee: P-please… You mustn’t tell anyone that we were in here!

Also man there is a lot of stammering this update.

We could threaten to tattle on them, but Zack is a serial flirterer and understands their plight.

Employee: Good man! Please take this as a token of appreciation!

Also this guy gives us 5000 gil in hush money which is nothing to shake a stick at.

Oh, Director! I’m sorry, I’m on the SOLDIER floor.

You have to head to the entrance immediately. We have been massively compromise.

Massively…? All right, I’m on my way!

I’m counting on you.

poo poo! Our boss actually called us out for once for screwing around. Aw well, can’t win ‘em all. We can dry our tears with our pile of cash while we huff this ether.

Oh. Lazard was not kidding. This is a freaking mess and it’s only been going on about five minutes.

Shinra Infantry are getting mowed down left and right here vs. Shinra Sweepers. Guess those got hacked/stolen too. Also woops we could have probably saved a lot of lives if we came down here. I guess the three civilians on the SOLDIER floor are probably worth more than a few Shinra red shirts. Sweepers were in the Reactor 5 area when the FF7 Crew were doing the second bombing and showed up a bunch of other places as well.

Is Genesis responsible for this?

Surprise! It’s Genesis attacking. It’s always Genesis

The Genesis Copy this time is a G-Avenger. It is basically a stronger G-Assassin that has both Fire and Blizzard to cast. Nothing that exciting.

Sweepers can go screw themselves though. On their own they aren’t bad. Basically they waddle around and fire off a fairly easy to dodge machine gun. Like most robots they are weak to Thunder.

Down below the Genesis troops have blasted a hole through the entrance. Also more Shinra troops getting mowed down. And they wanted to attack Genesis straight up. Baaaaad plan.

drat! They’re everywhere!

So this is when Sweepers really get obnoxious. You’ll be fighting one of them then another one(Quite possibly offscreen!) will shot you in the rear end and stagger you.

Or you get stuck between them and just got of twitch like you are getting tased.

There is a brief section of relief as we only have to fight down G-Avengers and Red Saucers.

Then four of these drat sweepers come rushing in at once.

Hey thanks Tseng!

Eat it raw!(It only does about 700 damage) Eventually I manage to get through the swarm of bullets and stun locks.

The intruders are Genesis copies.

Who is that?

A Shinra scientist who vanished after lifting the copy technology.

Are you saying that this Hollander and Genesis are working together?

Perhaps.

Hollander lost his bid for the leadership of the Science Department. He has borne a grudge against Shinra ever since. Revenge is most likely his objective.

So yeah. One of our other main bad guys is a Shinra Scientist not as good as Hojo for what THAT is worth.

I would prefer not to believe it, but…

Then don’t believe it.

Daww ol’ Sephiroth still showing his soft spot for Angeal and Genesis.

now, Zack. Genesis copies have been sighted in Sector 8 as well. Let’s go.

Whoa, this is some serious trouble!

Understood!

Click to Watch

I wonder if Reno is the only natural anime red hair color on this planet or if he also takes the care to dye his eyebrows.

Music: The Clandestine Dark Suits (from FFVII ''Turk's Theme'')

You’ve gotta be kidding me! Tseng, do something!

There’s no need for concern.

Huh?

okay…

The other areas?

Reno. Rude.

Just say the word.

Go.

Yes, sir.

And that’s the last we’ll see of those two for quite a while. They definitely aren’t the recurring doofuses from FF7 we get. It’s kind of funny. They are competent in here, competent in Advent Children, but kind of bumbling idiots in FF7 itself.

???: SOLDIER’s being stingy.

You’re a Turk, too?

The Turks must have some sort of equal opportunity clause where they have one woman on the squad at any given time.

I’m Zack. Pleasure to meet ya’!

I thought we were bros, Tseng. After everything we went through. Like me abandoning you after you were lit on fire by a psychotic member of my organization.

No respect.

Same objective. Need some help here?

I appreciate the offer but--

-End Video-

We also get heightened emotions for Cissnei so she is more likely to show up at the moment.

Cissnei’s DMW is pretty amazing. The main feature is that it sets you to all critical hits. Duration based on the level the Limit rolls. The second effect is that it raises the limit status by the level of the Limit roll. So usually you will go from Normal->Heavenly which means after she shows up the first time you just start vomiting out limit breaks until the status is reset.

Despite what she said our goal is to head into Loveless Ave. Right after her. When we get in we see a guy getting vaguely threatened by a sweeper. They really don’t like attacking civilians I guess. Or just laziness to let us rescue them. One of the two.

Man: This guy I saw down the street… It looked like he coulda been the leader of those masked guys attacking the city. You’re with SOLDIER, right? Thrash that guy for me, won’t ya? Here, I’ll give you this.

And we get another set of Earrings(+5 MAG Accessory).

Off to the other side we need to rescue a mom and her kid.

gently caress off.

Girl: A little while ago, this nice girl in a suit helped us back there. But then after that, a scary-looking man with a big gun came…

Woman: And the girl went to face him alone, so we could escape.

Girl: Please, mister! I’ll give you my favorite treasure, so please help that girl!

Woman: Please!

Well, I’d do it anyway but i’ll gladly take that Amulet(SPR +30) off your hands.

Click to Watch Intro+Boss Fight

Music: Encounter

We hear gunshots and it looks like Cissnei is on her back foot dodging away.

Pinwheel shurikeens with all edges sharpened: Still dumb weapons.

Whoever is attacking agrees and shoots it out of her hand.

I wonder how heavy and sharp something would have to be to dramatically stick in concrete like that.

Zack is here to save the day though!

Another copy indeed! This one they bothered to pretty much dress up like Genesis. However he’s using a Turk shock rod and sawed-off shotgun instead of that thing Genesis calls a rapier.

So our boss of the hour is G Eraser. He’s got a bit under triple the HP of the sweepers we were facing and no real crippling weakness.

His bread and butter is the Combo Attack which can hit for three times if you don’t dodge out of the way. Honestly most of the time you’ll take one blow for about 90 damage.

His super is Scorcher.

Starts off with a few smashes with the rod

Then unloads on you with shotgun while you are reeling back.

All told it hits for a good 500 damage or so.

No harm in topping up.

He can also take a blast at you with the shotgun. It’s pretty easy to avoid though. Also he does the Terminator 2 reload animation but this is clearly a pump action shotgun. Flavor fail.

Curse you unavoidable attacks!

On the whole this is a quick fight though. Just avoid the combo attack and heal up after scorcher and you’ll never be at risk. If you really want to over prepare there is a barrier materia in one of the missions we have unlocked that can make his damage real pathetic.

-End Video-

Click to Watch through end of update

G Eraser is not quite down for the count yet.

But with practice Zack has learned how to deal with defeated bosses in cutscenes.

Music: The Price of Freedom

You know, like an angel.

Wings symbolize freedom for those that have none.

I am sure she is totally speaking allegorically and in know way referring to her own situation. Cissnei is actually not a 100% new character in this. Just a 90% new character. She was in Before Crisis as Shuriken(No real name given, the playable characters largely went by what weapon they used). There was very little story given there.

Unlike the Turks, we folks at SOLDIER are paid to fight.

Take this. A token of appreciation for helping me out back there.

Hooray another shop to buy from. We can pick up the base elemental materia here, Cure, Esuna(nice so we don’t have to pay 300 a pop for remedies), and Libra. Also a handful of status resisting accessories.

Assignment… Yeah, I do…

Key to derailing Zack: Just throw a pretty woman at him.

I’m sure we’ll see each other again.

With impeccable timing Sephiroth gives us a phone call to update us.

Did you find something out?

Angeal has been sighted.

Ugh!

The army is mobilizing, but there’s still time. You and I will find them before they do, and..

For real?

Heh. Yes, for real.

So now we can forgive smug face Sephiroth from the meeting with Lazard. He had zero intention of lying down while his best friends got murdered and was going to be on scene whether they wanted him there or not.

Next time up on FF7 Crisis Core! Revelations! The feeling I’ve been here before! I’m sure that’s just nothing!

Bonus Crap!

Sweeping Up the Sweepers

Even with some editing that fight is longer than the Intro+G Eraser boss fight. There is a pile of dudes to mow through there.

Nashun fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 12, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
When you watch pre-Jenova Sephiroth in action, it's easy to see just why he was called a 'Hero', and I wish there was more of him like this, rather than his post-Jenova status.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

berryjon posted:

When you watch pre-Jenova Sephiroth in action, it's easy to see just why he was called a 'Hero', and I wish there was more of him like this, rather than his post-Jenova status.

Yeah, I was talking poo poo about him before but I'm man enough to admit that was purely from FF7/Dissidia hate bias. Getting to see him here, he's legitimately one of the more enjoyable people in the room. And that .gif is great.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
That gif is amazing :allears: He kinda reminds me of Auron.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ah, the Turks. I wonder what happened to Cissnei/Shuriken after this game.

Also, you made a typo early on. "That's why I'm coming to."

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ah, the Turks. I wonder what happened to Cissnei/Shuriken after this game.

Presumably the same fate that befell every other character that only shows up in a prequel that comes out after the original game: Retcon Syndrome. (Dun dun duuuuuun)

That said, I agree with Nashun. Like, Reno was usually always pretty serious with occasional moments of hilarity (Looking at you, Wutai), but as a whole, the Turks kind of blew their load early in terms of how much of a threat they could actually be, and everything after that was just "Well, Shinra's still gotta have SOME kind of presence in game, soooo...."

Then the EU stuff comes around and suddenly they're the most hyper-competent team of suit-wearing badasses ever. Maybe still not a whole lot more successful whenever they're on the opposite side, but the general sentiment is that you don't gently caress with the Turks.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Derek Barona posted:

Presumably the same fate that befell every other character that only shows up in a prequel that comes out after the original game: Retcon Syndrome. (Dun dun duuuuuun)

That said, I agree with Nashun. Like, Reno was usually always pretty serious with occasional moments of hilarity (Looking at you, Wutai), but as a whole, the Turks kind of blew their load early in terms of how much of a threat they could actually be, and everything after that was just "Well, Shinra's still gotta have SOME kind of presence in game, soooo...."

It is kind of hard to go up from "We crushed an entire sector of the slums just to destroy a terrorist organisation that consisted of 6 people." but at the same time they just go almost full comedy instantly except for Wutai pretty much. Like there's no steady descent into comedic buffoonery, the first time you meet them outside of Midgar you have their newest team member basically shouting about their mission profile and blowing the OpSec immediately.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Don't forget when you run into them in Zack's hometown and watch Reno basically needle Rude until he admits he has a thing for Tifa.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

It is kind of hard to go up from "We crushed an entire sector of the slums just to destroy a terrorist organisation that consisted of 6 people." but at the same time they just go almost full comedy instantly except for Wutai pretty much. Like there's no steady descent into comedic buffoonery, the first time you meet them outside of Midgar you have their newest team member basically shouting about their mission profile and blowing the OpSec immediately.

I've been wondering for a while how the Sector 7 pillar bombing is going to be handled in the remake. There's just soooo much stuff in there that's out of step with how the Turks are presented in the rest of the FFVII-verse. Tseng slapping Aerith seems particularly out of place, especially in light of Crisis Core's events.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Angry_Ed posted:

The worst part is that half the team was dead by the time the Turks actually did it, and the other half were stuck defending a small, confined space that was open to fire from helicopters...but the Turks job was to blow the plate and capture the Ancient, not actually stop the terrorists, so they leave with a "have fun escaping the act of mass murder we just caused!"

I had a real hard time understanding why the Turks got whacky after that, and an even harder time understanding why the Turks were forgiven for what they did. Because the President died? Yeah, that just solves everything, doesn't it? At least the party overlooking Hojo *kinda* makes sense, because Hojo is just such a complete and utter quack who isn't an actual threat when he's alone.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Elena made it impossible for the party to take them seriously and it snowballed from there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Clarste posted:

Elena made it impossible for the party to take them seriously and it snowballed from there.

Literally.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Echoing the humanization of Sephiroth being a great thing in this game; he is by all accounts a legit good person here, with personality! And friends! Psychotic breaks and cosmic horrors are not fun, folks.

Also, The Price of Freedom is easily my favourite of the music. There's something about it that gently leans on my nostalgia button for some reason and I really enjoy it as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
I always thought the Turks got worse because they lost their support structure and also were not coping well with the whole "murderous city collapse" thing. Just a solid mixture of losing good employees in the destruction of Midgard reducing their overall effectiveness as a unit, and the various stress factors coming from slaughtering so many, many people. :shrug:.

• Locked thread