Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
:ms:

Well. Okay. I mean, yeah finding the killer was never really a big focus as much as saving his victims, but man, I really wanted this to be a real mystery and to gasp when the reveal came, as it is it's just the turning point to the final act and these next few episodes will probably deal with simply stopping him forever or something, which might be good, but I'm still feeling kinda hollow from that reveal, specially when most of last week's episode felt like "either obvious person is the killer or literally all this time was wasted"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Well...I suppose with the a title like "The Town where only I am missing" I should have seen this coming, really.

I'll agree that the killers identity was never really a mystery, but that was a hell of a cliffhanger and I'm looking forward to next week.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Dialogue could have been a teensy bit less on-the-nose, though. 'This is my true form'? We're dealing with a small-town serial killer here, not Emperor Frieza.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Darth Walrus posted:

Dialogue could have been a teensy bit less on-the-nose, though. 'This is my true form'? We're dealing with a small-town serial killer here, not Emperor Frieza.

Considering their actions, their methods, and their words in this episode...we consider them a small-town serial killer, they clearly think themselves something more important than that. Not in a "hurr durr god chose me" kinda crazy, but a "what I'm doing is everything to me" kinda crazy. So they probably fashion themselves closer to Frieza than you'd think.

I could be wrong though. It's just the way the killer strikes me with their word choice.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
If the final twist is that they were reading the, at the time, brand new manga called Dragon Ball and decided to model themselves after Freezer then that'd be rad.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I knew something was wrong when the seat belt had trouble going in.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
That ruled. I had already been spoiled about the killer's identity since early on, but I'm pretty sure we were already supposed to have figured it out by this point, anyway: knowing who the killer was, the whole second half of the episode had me squirming with dread. Satoru's shock and surprise at the deception and at his own helplessness were handled really effectively, too. Erased keeps reaffirming its masterpiece status for me.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I would have preferred Satoru to finally figure it out beforehand, but I guess it's consistent given how the story has almost entirely been about Satoru saving the victims rather than pursuing the killer. Given how things went the way they did, I liked that Satoru actually acknowledged that it was obvious in hindsight, and the reason he didn't figure it out was basically all down to a glaring character flaw.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Something I noticed: the suspect list had Yashiro Manabu on it. But the teacher's first name is Gaku, right? Guess there's some sort of fake name thing going on?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

That was a really good episode. Especially how at the end Satoru threw out all child-like pretense and got real mad. Assuming revival happens and he survives, I can't wait to see how Satoru will extract his revenge.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Something I noticed: the suspect list had Yashiro Manabu on it. But the teacher's first name is Gaku, right? Guess there's some sort of fake name thing going on?

the names share kanji, apparently

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

there was literally no one else the killer could be, but the story has never been a traditionally ~whodunnit~ anyway, so i can't really see it as a flaw

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

darkgray posted:

For reference, episode 10 covers manga chapters 28-31 out of 44. Two episodes left.
Well, how much material was cut out to fit those chapters in this episode? Considering that they have 2 episodes to do 13 chapters it looks like a lot is going to get cut.

Edit: I just checked out chapter 28 and stuff was cut but in my opinion it was mainly fluff that didn't really affect the story (ie: the conversation with Aya was a little more detailed and longer). There was one major change relating to Hinazuki but the way the anime handled it worked well too.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 11, 2016

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Zettace posted:

Well, how much material was cut out to fit those chapters in this episode? Considering that they have 2 episodes to do 13 chapters it looks like a lot is going to get cut.

I wouldn't worry about it. You can usually get away with picking up the pace a lot in the last two episodes of a show.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Zettace posted:

Don't worry about it. A lot of stuff from the last couple of chapters could be put into one episode.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://a.pomf.cat/bhvhkk.webm

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I would like to thank Knox's Decalogue for helping me solve this mystery. Not that the mystery was the compelling part of this show anyways.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
...and that's where my knowledge of the series stops. What happens next is a :mystery: to me

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

dogsicle posted:

the names share kanji, apparently

Yeah, it seems to be just a translation error. The name is written as 八代学, it's Gaku Yashiro.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

esselfortium posted:

Yeah, it seems to be just a translation error. The name is written as 八代学, it's Gaku Yashiro.

I've just been reading Qualia the Purple, and the main character is called Gaku by her friend though her actual name is Manabu. I don't think it's an error, more like an alternative name or nickname

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

I've just been reading Qualia the Purple, and the main character is called Gaku by her friend though her actual name is Manabu. I don't think it's an error, more like an alternative name or nickname

Different character reading?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
It's a translation error. You can clearly hear Satoru's voice actor saying "Yashiro Gaku", while the subs go "Manabu Yashiro".

It's a bit complicated, though, because the kanji used in his name is 学 which can be read both Gaku and Manabu. It's common for names to have this feature, mind you.

What really screws things up is that (MANGA SPOILERS) Yashiro Gaku later changes his name to Nishizono Manabu, without having to actually replace the kanji in his given name -- he just uses a different reading. I don't know how the Japanese system for name changes works, but it's probably easier to change your family name (through marriage) than it is to change your given name. Just pretending it's another reading might simplify things. This may have led to the translation error, anyway.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The manga has finally been fully scanlated. For those worrying about whether the series turns to poo poo in the end, don't, in my opinion it sticks the landing and is great. So look forward to the ending! The remaining chapters can fairly easily be condensed into two episodes, I believe.

I'm waiting on the anime to finish before watching it with my friend. I bet he'll love it, it's a real good thriller, and he's the type to binge a series, so waiting for the episodes would be a no go for him. A lot of folks mentioned the mystery was never a big part of it to them, and I agree, I think I'd pegged the killer in the first quarter of the manga, at most. But that's not really the main draw.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 12, 2016

two for the shoah
Jan 14, 2016

it was pretty clear (imo) that yashiro would be unveiled as the killer, especially after last week's episode, but i did enjoy how the reveal was handled

i am curious if kenya fits into the bigger picture at all or if his role has pretty much played itself out

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh I'm not saying it was poorly handled necessarily, just that it never felt like the primary focus of the series. Yes, the killer is of course important, but up to the point the anime is at, it always seemed more about Satoru, his life, his interactions with people, his investigation, and his actions, rather than just WHODUNIT.

I did like how it was so flagrant with who the killer was, honestly. So much so that everyone kept saying it wasn't them, because "there's just too much pointing to him!" I never understood the absolute desire for WHAT A TWEEST with mysteries, if it's written well, even an obvious outcome can still be totally entertaining. Erased, now that I've finished reading the manga, I can confidently say is one of my favorite manga series I've ever read. What a good series, and from everything I've heard about the anime, so long as the last two episodes are as good as the manga equivalents, it'll likely be just as legendary an anime series.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Hahaha, I know the main character keeps saying he's an idiot, but how do you beat "The killer is literally reciting his villain speech as he kidnaps me but I wouldn't want to struggle while he's driving that would just be rude. I'll wait 'til we're parked."

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Hahaha, I know the main character keeps saying he's an idiot, but how do you beat "The killer is literally reciting his villain speech as he kidnaps me but I wouldn't want to struggle while he's driving that would just be rude. I'll wait 'til we're parked."

I did have to wonder about that. Most people would be panicking after 5 min and trying to stop the car or w/e.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He could've gouged out an eye when the killer got right in his face before getting out, he wasted the perfect chance!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He was too busy going 'Noooo, that's impossible, nooo' to be sensible.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Immersion ruined! Seatbelts always have plenty of leverage as long as you don't pull them with force. It should have been possible for a boy to climb out of it without undoing the lock. On the other hand, panicking and not able to think clearly.

Nah it was a good episode.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

nielsm posted:

Immersion ruined! Seatbelts always have plenty of leverage as long as you don't pull them with force. It should have been possible for a boy to climb out of it without undoing the lock. On the other hand, panicking and not able to think clearly.

Nah it was a good episode.

I was trying to remember what seatbelts were like 30 years ago while watching that scene, but failing. Well, given that Yashiro seemingly messed with the plug thingie, he might as well have made sure the belt wouldn't feed enough to flee while he was at it.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It probably worked better in the manga since it wouldn't actually be a 5 minute scene of Satoru just sitting there.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
also it should be piss easy for a kid to wriggle out of an adult seatbelt

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
You're all forgetting that he purchased a bunch of identical SUVs so that he could modify them to make murder easier.

In this case, he hosed with the seatbelt. I don't know what he did, I don't know what seatbelts were like 33 years ago (I'm surprised that they made the model as recent as the Isuzu Trooper, given how many of the cars he was supposed to be keeping on a teacher's salary, this makes them 7 years old, at most, at the time), etc... but we know he did something and that's enough for me to suspend my disbelief.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Kytrarewn posted:

You're all forgetting that he purchased a bunch of identical SUVs so that he could modify them to make murder easier.

In this case, he hosed with the seatbelt. I don't know what he did, I don't know what seatbelts were like 33 years ago (I'm surprised that they made the model as recent as the Isuzu Trooper, given how many of the cars he was supposed to be keeping on a teacher's salary, this makes them 7 years old, at most, at the time), etc... but we know he did something and that's enough for me to suspend my disbelief.

What makes you think he has more than one car?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

darkgray posted:

What makes you think he has more than one car?

Pretty sure he said so in that episode.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

Pretty sure he said so in that episode.

I'm sorry. I checked the subs (on daisuki) and I hate to keep saying this, but they're horribly wrong. Again. (ep 10) He only has one car. The one they're in is not his car. He even says this for the big reveal a few minutes earlier. He just "borrowed" this one, and explains that when he picks a new car, he makes sure it's a model and colour so common to the area that he can easily find a dummy (to safely do bad things without fearing for the plates being traced back to him).

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

darkgray posted:

I'm sorry. I checked the subs (on daisuki) and I hate to keep saying this, but they're horribly wrong. Again. (ep 10) He only has one car. The one they're in is not his car. He even says this for the big reveal a few minutes earlier. He just "borrowed" this one, and explains that when he picks a new car, he makes sure it's a model and colour so common to the area that he can easily find a dummy (to safely do bad things without fearing for the plates being traced back to him).

Which makes him into a monster, because he is a car thief.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Either way that seatbelt would have to be strapped on real tight to hold an 11yr boy. I remember being able to depress the seat cushion to wiggle out of a 'locked' seatbelt as a kid in my parent's Ford Aerostar. The fact that it's such contention for his escape is what makes it goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Considering the seatbelt was messed with in the first place, it's hardly breaking suspension of disbelief to think that it was jiggered to make sure Satoru can't escape.

• Locked thread