Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Boon posted:

While I was in Germany, I was thoroughly impressed at how much some progressive minded individuals I'd met absolutely detested the Turks.

People in racially homogeneous countries haven't had as many opportunities to interact with people of other ethnicities, and so they tend to be more racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Jackard posted:

Isn't Sweden pretty racist though?

I'd not really hold it against them. They (and the rest of Scandinavia) are extremely homogenous. It takes living among signifigant amounts of other races/ethnicities to forment integration and assimiliation. To them, immigrants from the Middle East are utterly foreign and incompatible, with a seemingly hostile religion and culture. While these things are objectively negative, they're to be expected. It will take generations of proper integration before Arabs are considered "swedish". It'd be like any one of us moving to China or Japan and expecting to fit right in...it's not going to happen.

By contrast, America (and to a lesser extent, the UK and Australia) has no excuse, as we've been a melting pot of ethnicities from the beginning. Particularly in regards to African American and Hispanic peoples, who are to this day treated like garbage by the American right, and not much better by the American left, outside of areas they govern themselves.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

blue squares posted:

People in racially homogeneous countries haven't had as many opportunities to interact with people of other ethnicities, and so they tend to be more racist

Bring up Roma in Europol and see what happens

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

blue squares posted:

Oh sure, it's just like my home state of Wisconsin. I'm visiting my grandparents this week and oh boy, I'm fairly certain that before joining the Navy my grandfather had never seen someone that wasn't white or american indian - and my grandmother? Don't get her started on that black in the white house. As we watch this political cycle unfold, I have to explain to my dad at times, who is very open to new ideas but laden with preconceived notions based on his lack of exposure and upbringing, just why his thought on race relations is a bit off kilter.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
how much would it suck to have your friends mom or dad give you some milk then you puke your guts out become paralyzed and quickly die

thats my raw milk two cents

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
I am getting sick of USPol's lactose intolerance.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Yeah but white people who live in majority-minority areas are just as likely to start in with the "you just don't know how they are" and that you can't understand that blacks are filthy animals that need looking after unless you've lived amongst them and witnessed their savage ways.

I think people are just terrible maybe? I dunno.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Please make the milk puns stop, I can't handle it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Talmonis posted:

I'd not really hold it against them. They (and the rest of Scandinavia) are extremely homogenous.

Yes, and they try quite hard to keep it that way. Which burns any sympathy that I can muster for them. The fact that you live in a sundown town and never interact with black people doesn't excuse you being a huge racist.

quote:

It'd be like any one of us moving to China or Japan and expecting to fit right in...it's not going to happen.
Japan is actually one of the most racist countries on the planet, so that's not really a good excuse either.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Sir Tonk posted:

Please make the milk puns stop, I can't handle it.

Don't ruin our emulsion with your saltiness.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Litany Unheard posted:

Yeah but white people who live in majority-minority areas are just as likely to start in with the "you just don't know how they are" and that you can't understand that blacks are filthy animals that need looking after unless you've lived amongst them and witnessed their savage ways.

The white people who act like that? They're called racists. Also Republicans.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

FAUXTON posted:

Unfortunately the solidly lovely part of Florida is primarily inland and the gulf coast. Not that there aren't poop enclaves along the Atlantic coast, but a lot of the larger/older cities have been pretty socially progressive due to their early status as safe zones for what amounts to LGBT internally displaced persons whose lives would be in danger in most other places (at the time - it's only some places now).

And Key West is a wonderful goofy place that doesn't deserve to fall into the sea either :smith:

Florida is also one of the largest parts of the beef industry as its year long warm weather and plentiful feed and thus safe to let cows make more cows year round. Any loss of land in that area is an immediate hit to some of the east coast's food production, but hey. gently caress if Rubio cares about his own home turf.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yes, and they try quite hard to keep it that way. Which burns any sympathy that I can muster for them. The fact that you live in a sundown town and never interact with black people doesn't excuse you being a huge racist.

Japan is actually one of the most racist countries on the planet, so that's not really a good excuse either.

A sundown town and an actual country with a long history of it's own culture, wars, triumphs and sacrifices are apples and oranges.

Who are you to tell the Japanese people, in Japan, that they need to accept more foreigners into their already crowded country?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Talmonis posted:

They (and the rest of Scandinavia) are extremely homogenous.

Homogenization doesn't actually make the milk any safer though, it's to prevent the cream from rising to the surface.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Homogenization doesn't actually make the milk any safer though, it's to prevent the cream from rising to the surface.

:golfclap:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

blue squares posted:

I'm not convinced this is necessarily true, because when I think of racially heterogenous countries like, I dunno, South Africa or Brazil or the USA, they're just as racist if not more racist than the ones you're thinking about. Actually I can't think of any country that is fine on race issues. It seems every single part of the world that I can picture the culture of - the UK, USA, France, Germany, Russia, China, India, Australia, Japan, Brazil, the entire Middle East - are all profoundly racist to the core. It seems to be a general human condition more than a consequence of any particular cultural upbringing.

Canada? Are they cool??

Boing fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 11, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Boing posted:

I'm not convinced this is necessarily true, because when I think of racially heterogenous countries like, I dunno, South Africa or Brazil or the USA, they're just as racist if not more racist as the ones you're thinking about. Actually I can't think of any country that is fine on race issues. It seems every single part of the world that I can picture the culture of - the UK, USA, France, Germany, Russia, China, India, Australia, Japan, Brazil, the entire Middle East - are all profoundly racist to the core. It seems to be a general human condition more than a consequence of any particular cultural upbringing.

Canada? Are they cool??

Canada hates First Nations people as much as we hate black people.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

First Nations and Asians are the target of Canadian racism.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

gradenko_2000 posted:

:pusheen:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Boon posted:

While I was in Germany, I was thoroughly impressed at how much people I had met absolutely detested the Turks.

Try bringing up Gypsies sometime.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

The UK is actually flirting with the idea of leaving the EU because they don't want any o' them Ayyrabbs comin' in and rapin their white women.

No, not really. The UK can deny entry to Arabs just fine already, the people who want to leave the EU are more exercised by the Poles (who are, y'know, white) exercising their rights as EU citizens. Even the racists aren't particularly bothered about black people at the moment.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Litany Unheard posted:

That depends entirely how you define "area". For example, the Detroit metro area might be majority-minority (or at least heavily minority), but it's incredibly segregated.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Paraguay. Maybe.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Talmonis posted:

A sundown town and an actual country with a long history of it's own culture, wars, triumphs and sacrifices are apples and oranges.

Who are you to tell the Japanese people, in Japan, that they need to accept more foreigners into their already crowded country?

Yeah, especially when they're already treating the Chinese and Korean immigrants like poo poo and still have problems identifying the Ainu as indigenous Japanese.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mr. Wookums posted:

there is still non alcoholic beer, which while lacking in taste, is parallel to pasteurized milk.

There would likely also be a spotted black market for raw milk, which would be utterly udderly more dangerous, similar to bathtub spirits in prohibition.

Come on, that was a gimme

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Talmonis posted:

Japan lost a million people in just the last 5 years, and their sales of adult diapers have exceeded their sales of baby diapers.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Boing posted:

Canada? Are they cool??

I listened to the then-boyfriend of a (canadian) friend of my wife rant on and on last fall about how horrible race issues in the states are and that the states are the last holdout of racism in the world and on and on.

No, shut the gently caress up, read about the Eurozone right now, and get off that high horse. You've either confronted and beaten the poo poo out of your own sub-surface racial tendencies or you have literally no idea what you are talking about. Every single young adult book you read in high school or middle school on race tries to beat it into your skull some basic facts:

"THIS IS SOMETHING WE ARE ALL LIABLE TO DO OR THINK. DO NOT ASSUME YOU ARE ABOVE RACIAL PREJUDICE."

"YOU ARE HUMAN AND THUS NOT FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFERENT FROM SLAVEOWNERS OF A DIFFERENT TIME OR THOSE COMPLACENT WITH SLAVERY FROM A DIFFERENT TIME."

Meanwhile, in Europe, racially homogeneous entities are freaking the gently caress out because dark people are coming to their shores requesting food and shelter.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Zelder posted:

lmao welcome to what every single minority person has been saying for like the past three months

It really feels like we live in different world sometimes. Of course Trump isn't going to get any significant minority votes. We can see him coming a couple decades away.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Gravel Gravy posted:

I am getting sick of USPol's lactose intolerance.

Hey we're not lactose intolerant. We just don't want to put up with lactose's drama.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

100.5 in Atlanta ran an extended voice clip of the guy who punched a detained "big-mouth" "un-american" black guy who they just might have to kill later. I'm glad this is seeing airtime.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Talmonis posted:

The white people who act like that? They're called racists. Also Republicans.

Also democrats.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

feedmegin posted:

No, not really. The UK can deny entry to Arabs just fine already, the people who want to leave the EU are more exercised by the Poles (who are, y'know, white) exercising their rights as EU citizens. Even the racists aren't particularly bothered about black people at the moment.

There are people who have been alive for longer than Poles have been considered fully white in the US.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Those are Dixiecrats. Democrats are incredibly open to minorities and want to do everything they can to bring their quality of life up to match white people as long as it's not in my backyard

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Shageletic posted:

It really feels like we live in different world sometimes. Of course Trump isn't going to get any significant minority votes. We can see him coming a couple decades away.
Radio this morning describes Ben Carson's endorsement of Trump as "opening up the African-American vote"

:allears:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

showbiz_liz posted:

Are you making GBS threads me. To whom is that message meant to appeal exactly? What bloc of voters are huge fans of Tiananmen Square?

I think you're missing the context. It was only a day out from:

quote:

Inside Edition tracked down McGraw after the rally and asked him if he liked the rally. “You bet I liked it. Knocking the hell out of that big mouth," McGraw said.

Asked why he punched the protester, McGraw told Inside Edition, "Number one, we don’t know if he’s ISIS."

"We don’t know who he is, but we know he’s not acting like an American," McGraw went on. "The next time we see him, we might have to kill him."

That's who he's appealing to. Because it would totally be a shame if he had to put down the next BLM protest with tanks, but as President he would have to show strength.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

computer parts posted:

Japan lost a million people in just the last 5 years, and their sales of adult diapers have exceeded their sales of baby diapers.

A cultural issue with making sex a taboo, mixed with a work culture that borders on the insane. If they can fix their economic problem and stop treating young people who don't score highly on the soul crushing placement tests they have like unemployable garbage, they might see people having sex and making families again. It's difficult to imagine a family if you can't get a job.

WHOOPS posted:

Those are Dixiecrats. Democrats are incredibly open to minorities and want to do everything they can to bring their quality of life up to match white people as long as it's not in my backyard

Yeah...:smith: I like integrated communities. They're pretty spiffy, if you can find one.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

100.5 in Atlanta ran an extended voice clip of the guy who punched a detained "big-mouth" "un-american" black guy who they just might have to kill later. I'm glad this is seeing airtime.

Didn't Trump promise to pay for any legal fees if people were arrested 'protecting FREEDOM!'?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Epic High Five posted:

Oh yeah, and it was specifically in response to the mayor of Miami's concerns too. Pourous bedrock causing the water supply that your entire city requires to become contaminated with salt water? Staring down the barrel of losing like half a mile of coast line?

Oh well, stuff happens

It was even better than that, the question was straight up "The mayor of Miami is begging you to recognize that this thing that is definitely going to happen is in fact real. Will you lie to this man for 2 god drat seconds?"

And he didn't. He started off with "well the climate has always been changing, guys!" and then continued with "have you ever thought that maybe the land is sinking because Florida was built on a swamp? It makes u think". I blacked out from the spike in my blood pressure, so I can only assume that he finished it off with some platitudes about how coal gets a bad rap and is actually good for the environment.

Phone fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 11, 2016

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

someone in ycs was talking about how trump could conceivably pull in 20% of the black vote (you know, the best republican performance since like, reagan). it was fascinating! and also before the kkk thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Hahahaha All you literally have to do is have that video of a Trump supporter punching a black dude, or attacking other black people that dudes response, and then Trump encouraging the people at his events to attack people.

Show that in all 50 states all summer and lol at Trump getting any of the Black Vote.

• Locked thread