Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

dordreff posted:

What anime?

I think the most anyone can hope for are OVAs. They migth even speed things things up enough that a single fight only takes 3 episodes, stretched out over 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Doresh posted:

I think the most anyone can hope for are OVAs. They migth even speed things things up enough that a single fight only takes 3 episodes, stretched out over 5 years.

You know they are gonna bring this to anime. They have a gently caress ton of chapters. Didn't they pause the anime right after the aizen fight/the winter war?

They have quincy returning, ichigo getting new powers, this "war" on the ground in soul society, ichigo travels, going to super heaven. I haven't followed the anime in years but it ended after the xcution? so chapter 480.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 10, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

You know they are gonna bring this to anime. They have a gently caress ton of chapters. Didn't they pause the anime right after the aizen fight/the winter war?

They have quincy returning, ichigo getting new powers, this "war" on the ground in soul society, ichigo travels, going to super heaven. I haven't followed the anime in years but it ended after the xcution? so chapter 480.

The anime got canned due to low ratings didn't it? And I don't think Bleach's position in the rankings or its sales have increased too much since the Fullbring arc so I don't see it coming back.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The anime's problem wasn't with the episodes based on the manga, though, but with the poo poo fillers they needed. Once the story's finished, if it ever is, they can probably pack the last five years of Bleach into one season.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Which is mindblowing when you consider the amount of filler and lovely story that Naruto is constructing a fecal bridge with to get all the way to launching the burrito anime.

I think Fairy Tail managed to come back from a break or something though? Maybe there's a precedent for pulling it off.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Spiderdrake posted:

Which is mindblowing when you consider the amount of filler and lovely story that Naruto is constructing a fecal bridge with to get all the way to launching the burrito anime.

I think Fairy Tail managed to come back from a break or something though? Maybe there's a precedent for pulling it off.

Fairy tail, I think, is working off the "new model" of making shows in seasons rather than a constant stream of poo poo peppered with gold nuggets that is the normal shounen anime adaptation.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You'd think, given how difficult it is to write a popular manga that then gets turned into an anime, that they've have a supply of ambitious authors who want to show off their chops.

Instead filler arcs are just bland poo poo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bleach still killing it

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah, the anime had a crushingly bad filler problem. The manga is so slow that even using every padding technique known to anime studios, they still ended up cramming easily a month's worth of chapters into a single episode so they caught up ridiculously quickly and needed to go into filler.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Tunicate posted:

You'd think, given how difficult it is to write a popular manga that then gets turned into an anime, that they've have a supply of ambitious authors who want to show off their chops.

The full metal alchemist brotherhood was done crazy well. That's after they had another series before have to go into filler like a 3rd of the way in the story.

How close brotherhood is to the manga is crazy but the manga was basically almost done at the time.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 11, 2016

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

The full metal alchemist brotherhood was done crazy well. That's after they had another series before have to go into filler like a 3rd of the way in the story.

How close brotherhood is to the manga is crazy but the manga was basically almost done at the time.

Well the big issue with FMA as I recall was that the artist had to take an extended hiatus for an illness. Things were staged out reasonably well for the first show and then they were suddenly forced to come up with a new ending that involved nazi germany (for some reason).

Brotherhood by comparison started airing during the last three or four (monthly) issues. They mostly skipped over the material that had been covered in the original FMA anime, picked up where the plotline diverged and finished it true to form in a way that didn't need filler, which is why it was so damned good.

AoT and Assassination Classroom are both doing fantastic with the "Make a season, take half a year off" model, and it honestly benefits the qualities of those shows immensely compared to the warmed over garbage that was Bleach or the stop motion craziness of One Piece or the whatever the gently caress this was from Naruto:

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Caros posted:

AoT and Assassination Classroom are both doing fantastic with the "Make a season, take half a year off" model, and it honestly benefits the qualities of those shows immensely compared to the warmed over garbage that was Bleach or the stop motion craziness of One Piece or the whatever the gently caress this was from Naruto:

I remember people gushing about how much they liked that poo poo from Naruto. I loving hated it, looks like some Looney Toons bullshit.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

flowinprose posted:

I remember people gushing about how much they liked that poo poo from Naruto. I loving hated it, looks like some Looney Toons bullshit.

People like it because it resembles Looney Toons.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It was fine in Naruto vs Sasuke at the Valley of the End, but every time they went back to that style it got progressively worse and more exaggerated.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
So, from what I got, his power is kind of like Bucharelli(?)'s from JoJo:Vento Aureo. Zippers and separations form a touch.
But regarding range, "her" power is to "restructure anything she touches", so could it be possible that it has an effective range without needing to touch, and if you are touched, it's over?
Alternatively, as long as an object is within range, it can restructure the entire form any way it likes?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

it explains why urahara likes science so much

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Can Orihime "reject" a restructuring? Anyways, p sure ywach is just gathering information on the rest of the shinigami and making more power stealing badges.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
She needs to restrucure the pace of this manga.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

when did naruto become sonic?

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Drythe posted:

when did naruto become sonic?

Considering it's a franchise that started with three years of greatness, went downhill at breakneck speed, and ended in a lovely dump of irrelevance and fan characters, I'm inclined to say Naruto has always been Sonic.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Sue posted:

Considering it's a franchise that started with three years of greatness, went downhill at breakneck speed, and ended in a lovely dump of irrelevance and fan characters, I'm inclined to say Naruto has always been Sonic.

:drat:

That is a surprisingly accurate comparison.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Sue posted:

:perfect:

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Tenzarin posted:

I not enough people give a drat anymore once the manga finally ends, the chances of this happening are a bit slim.

(Does anyone know when the last Bleach fighting game came out? That usually seems to be the metric for the viability of a shounen fighting IP)

Tunicate posted:

They don't want to create anything memorable or something that might actually cost money to make. They just want to occupy the time slot.

Sue posted:

Makes sense. The Chaos Emeralds are kinda like the Bullshit Eye Powers (tm), because they do whatever the plot demands.And did Sonic Unleashed came before or after Naruto got his furry mode?

Now we just need to hope that the Adventures of Bort will involve a dark and brooding anti-Naruto with guns.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 11, 2016

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The anime got canned due to low ratings didn't it? And I don't think Bleach's position in the rankings or its sales have increased too much since the Fullbring arc so I don't see it coming back.

Yeah, it still ranks pretty consistently in the "would get any other series cancelled" ratings in WSJ and has done for years. It apparently still sells enough in volumes that the editorial staff just say "gently caress it, let him finish" but I highly doubt it'll get an anime again.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Caros posted:

Brotherhood by comparison started airing during the last three or four (monthly) issues. They mostly skipped over the material that had been covered in the original FMA anime, picked up where the plotline diverged and finished it true to form in a way that didn't need filler, which is why it was so damned good.

I never watched the first FMA series. I read the manga then watched brotherhood and it covers basically everything in the comic.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Tenzarin posted:

I never watched the first FMA series. I read the manga then watched brotherhood and it covers basically everything in the comic.

That's what I've heard as well. Seems the opposite is true and the previous show padded out the early stuff a bit.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I know I am contributing to a derail but I really don't like the first FMA anime. It got way too dark, the worst being what happened to Rose after the Liore riots compared to the manga, where she is completely fine rather than severely traumatized.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

davidHalestorm posted:

I know I am contributing to a derail but I really don't like the first FMA anime. It got way too dark, the worst being what happened to Rose after the Liore riots compared to the manga, where she is completely fine rather than severely traumatized.

Welcome to a Sho Aikawa work, where he will take the first opportunity given to him to relentlessly poo poo on and punish someone else's characters for having the audacity to...be decent people.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

They cut a lot of the little early adventures. It has been a while since I've watched it, but I believe they cut out most of the liore stuff in the first episode in favor of a completely new scene about an ice alchemist. Likewise some of the early one off stuff that isn't relevant to later plots was removed. Nothing drastic at all, but they do get to spend a little more time on things like Nina and Edward's becoming a state alchemist that brotherhood glosses over.

It'd be like removing a bunch of Ichigo's early hollow fights. You don't really miss much since normal hollows stop being an issue the moment soul society folks show up.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

Welcome to a Sho Aikawa work, where he will take the first opportunity given to him to relentlessly poo poo on and punish someone else's characters for having the audacity to...be decent people.

I like FMA 2003, but wow has that guy been a writer on some bad shows.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I am not familiar with Sho Aikawa's work but I'll take your word for it. Oh and I am not disparaging anyone who liked the 2003 FMA anime, I don't think it's badly written or anything, maybe a little too much filler, it just got the wrong tone. I liked to think FMA 2003 is alternate timeline where the Xingese characters never made it to Ametris and thus everything turned to poo poo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

davidHalestorm posted:

I am not familiar with Sho Aikawa's work but I'll take your word for it. Oh and I am not disparaging anyone who liked the 2003 FMA anime, I don't think it's badly written or anything, maybe a little too much filler, it just got the wrong tone. I liked to think FMA 2003 is alternate timeline where the Xingese characters never made it to Ametris and thus everything turned to poo poo.

Considering the Xingese characters never appeared in the 2003 show, you aren't far from the truth.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

davidHalestorm posted:

I pity the adaption without Chinese cyborg ninja.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It wasn't as good as the manga or the later adaption, but honestly? The fact it got two good adaptions that feel different enough to enjoy both impressed me.

Sue posted:

Protagonist's bankai was literally goes so fast. Yeesh. On the money.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Bleach chapter 665
The Heart

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Spiderdrake posted:

Protagonist's bankai was literally goes so fast. Yeesh. On the money.

Don't you remember the iconic Bleach Opening song "Escape from the Soul Society"?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Caros posted:

They cut a lot of the little early adventures. It has been a while since I've watched it, but I believe they cut out most of the liore stuff in the first episode in favor of a completely new scene about an ice alchemist. Likewise some of the early one off stuff that isn't relevant to later plots was removed. Nothing drastic at all, but they do get to spend a little more time on things like Nina and Edward's becoming a state alchemist that brotherhood glosses over.

It'd be like removing a bunch of Ichigo's early hollow fights. You don't really miss much since normal hollows stop being an issue the moment soul society folks show up.

The Father Cornello parts are in Brotherhood. What else happened in the city? I remember the manga starting there and everyone thinking alphose was full metal.

ROFL, Rose was the leader of a rebellion. The 2003 one didnt even have Father Cornello? drat the old show sounds super bad.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 12, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tenzarin posted:

The Father Cornello parts are in Brotherhood. What else happened in the city? I remember the manga starting there and everyone thinking alphose was full metal.

ROFL, Rose was the leader of a rebellion. The 2003 one didnt even have Father Cornello? drat the old show sounds super bad.

Father Cornello was in the 2003 show. IIRC, he got killed then Envy replaced him and pretended the other one was a fake: Rose didn't lead the rebellion, but she tried to protect some kids when soldiers found her.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've only seen the 2003 FMA, but I really liked it. Then again, I still read Bleach every week, so my taste in Japanese cartoons and comics is questionable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

I've only seen the 2003 FMA, but I really liked it. Then again, I still read Bleach every week, so my taste in Japanese cartoons and comics is questionable.

2003 is good, about equal to the manga for me. I like that it makes the villains more human than the manga does, and gives some of them a more interesting origin. In general, it fits into shonen tropes less than the manga, and is more willing to admit that things are magic instead of technobabbling.

2003 does have a few weak points, though, like Archer coming back as a cyborg after losing a large chunk of his head, just to give Hawkeye something to do and the movie villain, Eckhart, who didn't pose much of a threat and had a contrived (though thematically appropriate) motivation.

• Locked thread