Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cage plays it like a man losing his mind. Not a comedy.

Director has no idea what he's doing. Still not a comedy

Result: A very entertaining non-comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Nicholas Cage says it is.

So did Tommy Wiseau.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

So did Tommy Wiseau.

Nicholas Cage is an academy award winning actor and Tommy Wiseau is an incompetent, sadly maladjusted quack.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
In some ways its crazy that Neil LaBute directed the Wicker Man remake and in other ways its really not at all.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Jack Gladney posted:

Is the Nicholas Cage Wicker Man a comedy? Cage's performance is almost absurdist.

Sure, why not.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It seems to hate women and mormonism (a weird combination) too much to be all the way a joke, but Cage is amped to 11 from the minute he gets to the island.

What are Molly Parker and Leelee Sobieski doing in that movie? I hope it paid for a house.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FishBulb posted:

In some ways its crazy that Neil LaBute directed the Wicker Man remake and in other ways its really not at all.

It's very LaBute. It would be less surprising if Mamet wrote it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah it is but it doesn't seem like it should be to me. Like why is this guy making this and then you watch it and it totally fits but it's still a crazy thing that exists.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I want to see a Labute version of Oleanna now where Nic Cage starts screaming and breaks a chair over Debra Eisenstaedt's head after five minutes

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Nicholas Cage is an academy award winning actor and Tommy Wiseau is an incompetent, sadly maladjusted quack.

All i was saying was that they both retroactively claimed that The Wicker Man and The Room were ironic/jokes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...horName=S+T+F+U

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

FishBulb posted:

Holy poo poo! Did not know that. His first two films are almost perfect movies, and his third wasn't bad.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
In the Marvel movie logo, are the comic pages shown from actual comic books?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mister Kingdom posted:

Apparently it varies.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Mister Kingdom posted:

They are, but they're mostly super cropped and obscured so it's hard to tell. Here's a decent copy if anyone wants to try to go frame by frame. But you can clearly make out the "imagine that in the wrong hands" panel, which is definitely from New X-Men 117, so I assume all of them are real. There's a frame of a woman's lower half and she has fiery hands, I'm pretty sure that's Jean from a Dark Phoenix issue. There are also some bits that look very Simonson-y and are probably from his Thor, he has a real distinct style.

I've always liked that logo though, it looks really slick. The guy who made it does a lot of cool titles, you've probably seen his work in other places: http://www.artofthetitle.com/designer/kyle-cooper/

edit: ^^^ I'm not sure if any of the variants actually have different pages flipping though, it seems like a lot of effort. Someone with more free time than me can check if they want.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ror posted:

They are, but they're mostly super cropped and obscured so it's hard to tell. Here's a decent copy if anyone wants to try to go frame by frame. But you can clearly make out the "imagine that in the wrong hands" panel, which is definitely from New X-Men 117, so I assume all of them are real. There's a frame of a woman's lower half and she has fiery hands, I'm pretty sure that's Jean from a Dark Phoenix issue. There are also some bits that look very Simonson-y and are probably from his Thor, he has a real distinct style.

I've always liked that logo though, it looks really slick. The guy who made them does a lot of cool titles, you've probably seen his work in other places: http://www.artofthetitle.com/designer/kyle-cooper/

edit: ^^^ I'm not sure if any of the variants actually have different pages flipping though, it seems like a lot of effort. Someone with more free time than me can check if they want.

The definitely mix it up sometimes because the often manage to get a panel of a relevant character in there.

you can see a bunch of the variants here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7cYKt8RqY8

edit: Holy poo poo, Elektra's is like, all panels of her. It looks fittingly lovely.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Snak posted:

The definitely mix it up sometimes because the often manage to get a panel of a relevant character in there.

you can see a bunch of the variants here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7cYKt8RqY8

edit: Holy poo poo, Elektra's is like, all panels of her. It looks fittingly lovely.
Punisher 1989 didn't have one of those, did it? Its lumped in with the 2004 version and War Zone in that video.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cage posted:

Punisher 1989 didn't have one of those, did it? Its lumped in with the 2004 version and War Zone in that video.

I'm a little confused by their labeling there. I wish it was made clear which specific film the logo was from, because there are cases like that where it obviously wasn't all of them. I don't think War Zone had it either, because it was released under the Marvel: Knights label.

But independent of that, the video does show all the variations of the modern logo.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Sticking with Marvel, how does the licensing agreement work with other studios such as Fox or Sony? Does Fox just pay Marvel comics a flat-rate fee for using the X-Men, or is the license based on the amount of revenue a movie generates?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Sticking with Marvel, how does the licensing agreement work with other studios such as Fox or Sony? Does Fox just pay Marvel comics a flat-rate fee for using the X-Men, or is the license based on the amount of revenue a movie generates?

The licensing gets kind of hairy and isn't really known to the public, but basically Fox & Sony bought the rights to X-Men and Spiderman movies respectively (and a whole bunch of other stuff), and the key thing was that if they didn't make a movie in a certain amount of time, the rights would revert back to Marvel.

It gets hairy because there have been lots of renegotiations in the meantime. For example, Sony originally had Movie and TV rights for Spiderman, but Marvel got the TV rights back in exchange for some unknown tradeoff.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I don't know for a fact but I'm pretty sure it's a combination: a budgeted fee plus a share of revenues (either from first dollar or on an adjusted gross basis, ie allowing for certain deductions by the studio first).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

computer parts posted:

It gets hairy because there have been lots of renegotiations in the meantime. For example, Sony originally had Movie and TV rights for Spiderman, but Marvel got the TV rights back in exchange for some unknown tradeoff.

I believe Marvel got the comprehensive (live-action and animated) television rights back for Spider-Man in exchange for Sony getting to keep the movie license in perpetuity as opposed to having to have a new movie in development every few years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the deals sound pretty lovely for Marvel it is because they were made back in the 90s when the company was in really bad financial shape.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cool that means theyre still bad deals until the 90s end, i think.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

We just got an Alamo Drafthouse theater in Omaha recently, and it's pretty awesome how many great older movies they show. When they get something like Big Trouble in Little China, is it typically the old 35mm prints?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Sometimes. They'll usually mention when it is somewhere.

(Go to video vortex if they do that there)

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Great thread! Just stumbled across it..

BIt of a personal axe i like to grind, but apart from Romeros comments on the matter why is the "There is never a cause revealed" such a big part of the history of the Living Dead series?

Night is my favorite film and every time i watch it i cant help but have the same conversation with myself "Its there, its right there, its the probe, its not a one off casually mentioned potential cause, its referenced 3 or 4 times, probe explodes, emits radiation, the dead get up, the radiation spreads the dead rise in those areas". Hell one of the TV broadcasts flat out says "The phenomenon will continue as the radiation spreads"

I have noticed Romero is an unreliable source, pre internet i remember him contradicting himself on a few things, and im sure its worse as he has aged.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Dawn Of The Dead has several sequences that specifically point out that you should never fully trust what you hear on the news.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think the point of not revealing the cause is that, in doing so, you give the audience someone to blame for a disaster, rather than be absorbed in the existing allegory. Romero is a big fan of zombies representing aspects of our society, mindless consumerism, etc, and if one of his movies was about how scientists accidentally released a virus, or the military did something and cause the zombies, then it would seem like a cautionary tale against those things.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Well yeah thats the popular thinking, but my point is it is explained, clearly, multilple times.

Romero is VERY unreliable when it comes to remebering things, i vividly recall watching an interview where he insisted the alt ending to dawn of the dead WAS filmed despite the two actors involved saying they never did it.. He then goes on to tell a story of the exploding head meant to be used in that scene being used on another..

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What I'd heard was that there were meant to be multiple scenes of various possible explanations for the dead walking, all contradictory, to convey that nobody knew for sure, but the probe stuff was the only bit they ended up using.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Want Romero drinking like a fifth a day by the time he made Day? I'm kinda shocked he can remember as much as he does.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's pretty amazing that Romero is still alive and kicking at 76 since he's basically lived on nothing but coffee and cigarettes for the last 50 or so years.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They breed 'em tough in Pittsburgh.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's pretty amazing that Romero is still alive and kicking at 76 since he's basically lived on nothing but coffee and cigarettes for the last 50 or so years.

The only thing he's lost is two full feet from his height.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
Is Punch Drunk Love meant to be a parody of other Adam Sandler films?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I don't know if I'd call it a parody, more of a recontextualizing of Sandler's persona into a more hostile universe.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Purple Monkey posted:

Is Punch Drunk Love meant to be a parody of other Adam Sandler films?

I think it's just Paul Thomas Anderson being Paul Thomas Anderson

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How does the movie Baskin (2015) end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

How does the movie Baskin (2015) end?

He meets Robbins.