Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"Nothing happened, it just stopped working."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

Crowley posted:

It's time for.. GUESS WHAT HAPPENED

This time our tech had taken the machine apart before I got there.

What we're looking at is a daughterboard from a Dell laptop. Luckily this was the only damaged part in the machine, but still.. what happened?

Electric screwdriver with no torque control and a big technician pushing down on what they misidentified as a screw? Then either the board just bent down under the weight or the screwdriver slipped and scored / fractured the surface of the PCB?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

seadweller posted:

Electric screwdriver with no torque control and a big technician pushing down on what they misidentified as a screw? Then either the board just bent down under the weight or the screwdriver slipped and scored / fractured the surface of the PCB?

Maybe it would be nice if I posted this slightly larger image.
(It's amazing what a decent cellphone camera can do)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Did they somehow put power through that port? :stare:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Spilled water on their laptop?

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010
Bad capacitor gone pop? I'm almost scared to ask what the red stuff is from L6 to L8?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

seadweller posted:

Bad capacitor gone pop? I'm almost scared to ask what the red stuff is from L6 to L8?

Blood sacrifice.
That's a normal part of electronics repair.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Crowley posted:

Maybe it would be nice if I posted this slightly larger image.
(It's amazing what a decent cellphone camera can do)

i'm gonna go with power over ethernet for 500$, bob.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

seadweller posted:

Yeah, I've got :10bux: on it being from the era of Dells using knockoff caps that would explode when they got bored.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

DigitalRaven posted:

Yeah, I've got :10bux: on it being from the era of Dells using knockoff caps that would explode when they got bored.

Agreed, that looks like some type of acid/corrosion damage.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Spilled water on their laptop?

Close enough to win.

It was soup

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Crowley posted:

Close enough to win.

It was soup

I spilt soup on my laptop once :shobon:

Not enough to break it though.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

How was soup conductive long enough (aka not boiled away) to melt and blister the PCB that badly? Unless that isn't melting but just ooey-gooey soup that looks like scorched fiberglass and resin?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Potato Salad posted:

Unless that isn't melting but just ooey-gooey soup that looks like scorched fiberglass and resin?

Hey, don't talk poo poo about my cooking like that!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

A ticket update came in.

"I WANT MANAGER TO TELL ME HOW <Kyrosiris> THINK HE HAVE RIGHT TO DISABLE IP JUST BECAUSE DO NOT ANSWER TICKET"

I'm this tempted to just drop links to our TOS and Abuse policy.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Kyrosiris posted:

A ticket update came in.

"I WANT MANAGER TO TELL ME HOW <Kyrosiris> THINK HE HAVE RIGHT TO DISABLE IP JUST BECAUSE DO NOT ANSWER TICKET"

Done that with my manager's blessing before. The sputtering that followed was absolutely magical.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Kyrosiris posted:

A ticket update came in.

Are you the guy that works in hosting?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A ticket came in.

A customer from the EU started tracerouting their network traffic and looking up registration info for the IP addresses used by my product. Our service routes through the Google cloud, and every Google IP in the entire world is registered to Google HQ in mountain view, CA.

Unware of how IP registration works, they immediately emailed this huge aggressive demanding letter and CC'd the entire company (including the CEO, Legal, and god knows how many other crazy things) wanting to know why their data is leaving the EU. They'll SUE! THEY WILL SUE SO HARD.

Explaining that any IP on any server anywhere in the world could be registered at any other location has not dissuaded them. Links to our TOS haven't stopped them.

So we went to the laws of physics. It is literally impossible for you to ping a sever in California from the EU in 4ms. That's faster than the speed of light.

The rage in the followup email is a sight to behold. Apparently they think we've invented a way to communicate faster than light.

BRB pouring every dime I can beg, borrow or steal into stock in my company, because we're going to revolutionize communications via FTL comms.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SeaborneClink posted:

Are you the guy that works in hosting?

I don't think I'm the only one by a long shot, but yeah.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

BRB pouring every dime I can beg, borrow or steal into stock in my company, because we're going to revolutionize communications via FTL comms.

But FPS gamers will still complain about ping times.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
So we have a couple machines that were running win7pro, non-domain joined computers. I had asked why they weren't part of the domain before and not managed by us, but I'd been told to not worry about it. I'm guessing someone was just clicking through things, because today they are running win10 and aren't really functional. woo.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

So we went to the laws of physics. It is literally impossible for you to ping a sever in California from the EU in 4ms. That's faster than the speed of light.

Speed of light is 299792458 metres/second.

Distance between London and SF is 8611000 metres

299792458 / 8611000 = 0.02872320423751287298895291088344 or 287.2 28.72 milliseconds.

I've learned something today that will be handy in future.

EDIT: 28.72 milliseconds, thanks ShadeOfBlue

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 11, 2016

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Crowley posted:

But FPS gamers will still complain about ping times.

This delay is too drat much.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ChubbyThePhat posted:

This delay is too drat much.

Just overclock your USB port.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

Distance between London and SF is 86110000 metres

299792458 / 86110000 = 0.02872320423751287298895291088344 or 287.2 milliseconds.

28.7 ms, you missed a factor of 10 when you converted from seconds :).

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

ShadeofBlue posted:

It's about 40ms in fiber.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

ShadeofBlue posted:

Thank you. I'm sitting here thinking "That seems too high", but its a Friday and my brain isn't working.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ConfusedUs posted:

This will be helpful to your company:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6921

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I saw the "spinning in X's grave" FTL communications proposal again recently, this time from one of our users.

The notion is that you can, say, have two men kiss in NYC and, in the hills of California, Ronald Regan's body starts rolling in his grave in response to those "sick unfortunates." If a corpse spins in a manner dependent upon the in intensity or other factors in the detestable action taking place, you can absolutely modulate a signal through to the destination.

The protocol can include multi-channel functionality. A two-channel link may involve two men kissing and, say, placing a train car on a forklift and repeatedly dipping it onto a pile of thyme. Mussolini's body would have to be moved from Emilia to California, but you get the idea.

One drawback is the need to reduce noise for a channel to function. Teabagging a pile of herbs with a locomotive may be unique enough, but there may be problems with the first proposal, particularly here on SA.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

Teabagging a pile of herbs with a locomotive may be unique enough

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

wat

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

There's a lot of bad things you could say about Mussolini, but he made the trains run on time.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Sonuvabitch. That pun physically hurt.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Potato Salad posted:

Some peak William S. Burroughs

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Heners_UK posted:

Distance between London and SF is 8611000 metres

299792458 / 8611000 = 0.02872320423751287298895291088344 or 287.2 28.72 milliseconds.

EDIT: 28.72 milliseconds, thanks ShadeOfBlue

Uh.. might want to triple-check that math. The answer is right, but you got there all wrong.

8611000 (m) / 299792458 (m/s) = 0.02872 s
0.02872 s = 28.72 milliseconds.

Google calculator

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

relevant: The 500 mile email

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Every time I read this story, it makes me smile.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Sonuvabitch. That pun physically hurt.

The correct reply is "... we are no longer friends."

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

nexxai posted:

Every time I read this story, it makes me smile.

Me too. I came here to post this because it is an awesome story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I don't know which program is pissing me off worse right now, TeamViewer or CrashPlan.

• Locked thread