Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I was once told it's because the Marvel movies are feminine and the DC movies are aggressively masculine. Don't agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Corek posted:

I was once told it's because the Marvel movies are feminine and the DC movies are aggressively masculine. Don't agree.

really? I thought one of the reasons people were mad because clark was too girly and his fathers weren't wise and all-knowing enough

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Corek posted:

I mean, I could maybe see that argument in 2013 when the only DC movies were :nolan: and Man of Steel but these days we have a Wonder Woman movie being shot while Black Widow is always the Bridesmaid and the other woman centered Marvel film is still TBA.

Sense and Motion
Jan 9, 2011

Laughter, I said, is madness.
Regardless, none of this, nor people's nitpicks on the plot or on the dialogue, have anything to do with the art and creativity of the movie. In fact, on sites that criticize Man of Steel, I don't ever see any sort of analysis or 'appraisal' of the art and creativity of the movie and usually only the common laser focus on dialogue and plot.

Edit: Oh, and the "wrong" tone.

Sense and Motion fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 11, 2016

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Boob Marley posted:

I do not disagree with anything you have said here.

Smart from a financial stand-point, yes.
But awful from a creative, artistic stand-point. And therein lies spectacle of ruination that I'm fapping to right now.

You're just trying to goad somebody into saying that MoS is good because it is financially successful, aren't you?

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

computer parts posted:

I'm still not exactly sure what your issues with the movie are, from a quality standpoint. Is it just that the Tomatometer is too low?

Homeboy brooded the entire movie like Peter in Spider-man III: The Broodening

Instead of being a shining, noble contrast to the ideology and stylings of Batman, Man of Steel's Superman was a clone of Nolan's Batman. I felt like the studio was too afraid to deviate from what it knew to be successful (dark, brooding, rear end-kicking Batman) and ended up making Superman in the mold of the dark knight. It felt like a sad little add-on to the Nolanverse.

Sense and Motion
Jan 9, 2011

Laughter, I said, is madness.
You forgot 'gritty'.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
and 'grimdark.'

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

Grendels Dad posted:

You're just trying to goad somebody into saying that MoS is good because it is financially successful, aren't you?

Don't think I need to do any goading on that one...

Sense and Motion posted:

You forgot 'gritty'.

Whoops, thanks for the catch! How Superman of you.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Corek posted:

Yeah I mean it's obviously an oversimplification but I guess I can see where it's coming from? Like, I know folks who agree that the politics of something like Winter Soldier are iffy and the filmmaking is nothing to write home about, but they still adore it because they like the interpersonal dynamics among between Steve and Bucky/Sam/Natasha and have fun reading goofy fanfics where Captain America and the Black Widow eat huge breakfasts and gently caress. And like, if someone insists on being reductive and essentializing, yeah, I guess that is more of a feminine perspective than a masculine one

Sense and Motion posted:

Regardless, none of this, nor people's nitpicks on the plot or on the dialogue, have anything to do with the art and creativity of the movie. In fact, on sites that criticize Man of Steel, I don't ever see any sort of analysis or 'appraisal' of the art and creativity of the movie and usually only the common laser focus on dialogue and plot.

There's also folks making goofy cargo cult points about its color palette, which technically falls within "appraisal of the art"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Boob Marley posted:

Don't think I need to do any goading on that one...

That's not quite what people are saying, but nice try. They are saying that it's kind of dumb to pretend DC is making a big mistake by making MoS the starting point of their cinematic universe. They (and I) also say that MoS is pretty great, but that has nothing to do with how it did at the box office or how it relates to upcomming DC movies.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Boob Marley posted:

Instead of being a shining, noble contrast to the ideology and stylings of Batman, Man of Steel's Superman was a clone of Nolan's Batman. I felt like the studio was too afraid to deviate from what it knew to be successful (dark, brooding, rear end-kicking Batman) and ended up making Superman in the mold of the dark knight. It felt like a sad little add-on to the Nolanverse.

So it's a case of "Not my Superman!!!".

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You should apply for a job at io9

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Luminous Obscurity posted:

really? I thought one of the reasons people were mad because clark was too girly and his fathers weren't wise and all-knowing enough

yeah, if anything mcu's never-failing ability to distance itself from pathos with jokes on jokes on jokes comes off as way more masculine than what we've seen from dc so far

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Does "Brooding" even mean anything anymore?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

computer parts posted:

I think it's a sex thing now, not sure though.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Boob Marley posted:

These arguments you are making about Man of Steel are very new and fresh and original in 2013

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy
Please list the things about Man of Steel that you really enjoyed, and that are your basis for rating it as a good or even great movie.
Even if it's just something nebulous like "it made me feeeeeeeel some stuff". I'll take it.

I'm really curious, but I feel the opposite, and I want to the know if there's something I missed, or overlooked, or interpreted in a wildly different way.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Why are you comparing Paul Rudd to some masters dropout? We all want to know if Superman's farts are more powerful than the average person, but they probably won't get to that until Man Of Steel 2 unfortunately.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I mean, disliking MoS because you feel they didn't capture what you think the essence of Superman is is fine, but saying that your interpretation of Superman should supercede everyone elses otherwise it's a bad movie is p.lame hth

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Whenever Superman farts his costume inflates like the Michellin Man.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Do his super farts smell really good or really bad?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Brother Entropy posted:

micheal bay is actually a pretty great example of what i'm getting at; internet nerds and critics keep talking about how poo poo his transformers movies are and yet they keep getting made because movie studios aren't gonna care about that unless it starts affecting their earnings

MoS was a success in their eyes so there's no reason for them not to use it as a starting point for their movie line
yeah more nerds need to vote with their wallet and just not see the movies if they don't like the direction that they are taking. Hell I've haven't seen any DC beyond Batman Begins and never really had an interest to watch either.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Codependent Poster posted:

Do his super farts smell really good or really bad?

I mean, it depends on his diet. That's just common sense. He may be super, but he's still a man, with a man's broccoli farts.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Boob Marley posted:

Please list the things about Man of Steel that you really enjoyed, and that are your basis for rating it as a good or even great movie.
Even if it's just something nebulous like "it made me feeeeeeeel some stuff". I'll take it.

I'm really curious, but I feel the opposite, and I want to the know if there's something I missed, or overlooked, or interpreted in a wildly different way.

Its a bold faced condemnation of the sanitized violence of modern blockbusters and has quite successfully made everyone super conscious of it, considering the latest avengers film. Granted Whedon felt that repeating EVERYONES OKAY DONT WORRY was the best course of action for this, but that can hardly be blamed on MoS.

thats one

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

how long can we keep this "NOT MY SUPERMAN" thing going :allears:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Its a bold faced condemnation of the sanitized violence of modern blockbusters and has quite successfully made everyone super conscious of it, considering the latest avengers film. Granted Whedon felt that repeating EVERYONES OKAY DONT WORRY was the best course of action for this, but that can hardly be blamed on MoS.

thats one

Also, it was very violent and I liked that. I don't give a poo poo if that's Superman-y, it was interesting and entertaining.

Nedit: Also, dick ships.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

CONTENT WARNING: BROODING

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

hiddenriverninja posted:

how long can we keep this "NOT MY SUPERMAN" thing going :allears:

Another 3 years.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

Its a bold faced condemnation of the sanitized violence of modern blockbusters

If the movie was trying to do what it felt was right and give us a wake-up call about sanitized violence, and the result was that Supes took a lot of heat for it.... holy poo poo, does that make him a dark knight like unto Batman!?

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Boob Marley posted:

You see what it comes down to is we just don't care anymore

Looking forward to Batman v Superman

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Boob Marley posted:

I'll assume you're being genuine, so I'll bite.

It was shot better than any current superhero movie that is not Batman Begins, Dark Knight, or Dark Knight Rises on a technical level. The action was also dynamically directed in a way we hadn't really seen in superhero movies to that point, by mixing shooting styles from animation and foregoing slow motion, and instead focusing on quick brutality.

It had a lot of interesting cinematic language.

It subverted and embraced several things about Superman as a character, making it more interesting than the I-know-exactly-what-I-will-get origin stories of every other superhero movie.

Mind you, I didn't love it. I would say I found it interesting. But, since I don't find ANY Marvel movies interesting at this point, that's a good thing, as I prefer movies giving me things to think and discuss as opposed to being something I watch and forget as soon as I leave (note, I literally only remember a few things happening from Avengers 2, Ant Man, almost nothing from Iron Man 2, and only remember Avengers because it was shot and plotted so badly that it was fascinating).

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

berserker posted:

You see what it comes down to is we just don't care anymore

No! I will loving force you to care! Acknowledge that BvS has incredible potential to the be the one that breaks the back of DC's artistic and creative integrity! Do it or I'll Zod your fuckin' rear end!

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Boob Marley posted:

No! I will loving force you to care! Acknowledge that BvS has incredible potential to the be the one that breaks the back of DC's artistic and creative integrity! Do it or I'll Zod your fuckin' rear end!

ignoring your thoughts on mos for a moment, are you implying that the mcu has 'creative and artistic integrity' because lol its the most franchise franchise to ever franchise

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

Darko posted:

I'll assume you're being genuine, so I'll bite.

It was shot better than any current superhero movie that is not Batman Begins, Dark Knight, or Dark Knight Rises on a technical level. The action was also dynamically directed in a way we hadn't really seen in superhero movies to that point, by mixing shooting styles from animation and foregoing slow motion, and instead focusing on quick brutality.

It had a lot of interesting cinematic language.

It subverted and embraced several things about Superman as a character, making it more interesting than the I-know-exactly-what-I-will-get origin stories of every other superhero movie.

Mind you, I didn't love it. I would say I found it interesting. But, since I don't find ANY Marvel movies interesting at this point, that's a good thing, as I prefer movies giving me things to think and discuss as opposed to being something I watch and forget as soon as I leave (note, I literally only remember a few things happening from Avengers 2, Ant Man, almost nothing from Iron Man 2, and only remember Avengers because it was shot and plotted so badly that it was fascinating).

I see your point on the shooting being so good. I guess maybe it set the tone for my expectations in regards to character and theme though, and I was let down.

I don't speak cinematic language, but if you expound on that a bit I'll hear you out.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Batman v Superman's gonna have to be pretty fantastic to top Deadpool, as far as I'm concerned. Probably my favourite comic book movie so far.

justdan
Mar 31, 2010

thats one

Yeah, I hate when Superheroes in Superhero Movies actually, you know, save people!

I want some *realism* and real "unsanitized" violence in my film about an alien demigod in blue spandex and red cape fighting other aliens!

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Man of Steel is Superman filtered through Ridley Scott movies and it owns.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

justdan posted:

Yeah, I hate when Superheroes in Superhero Movies actually, you know, save people!

I want some *realism* and real "unsanitized" violence in my film about an alien demigod in blue spandex and red cape fighting other aliens!

Every once in a while that's pretty cool, yeah. It's not like they are going to stop making Marvel movies just because Man of Steel did that thing, so where is the problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

ignoring your thoughts on mos for a moment, are you implying that the mcu has 'creative and artistic integrity' because lol its the most franchise franchise to ever franchise

Again, you're drat right it is. And it's a successful franchise because it delivers on a slew of little things that people love and enjoy. It's not a successful franchise because it runs roughshod over what people know and love about the characters, it's successful because it gives fans of the source material a pay off without excluding general audiences. MoS did neither. You can call Marvel Studios a big evil money machine all day long, but the means of their success, the way in which they accumulate such wealth and success, has had everything to do with the quality of their content. Starbucks is everyone's favorite big-bag company to hate on because they've permeated the earth with their stores. Well, they got that way for a reason - their coffee is good.

• Locked thread