Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dungeon crawling Spelunky like game with a focus on line of sight and intelligent. Style, graphics, and everything we're very similar to Spelunky. Only available on itch.io I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm looking for game box art, specifically, I think it was a picture of powerlines, shot from below. The weirdest thing was, I think it was for a JRPG for either the Wii or PS2/3. I thought it was Baroque, but I've never been able to find any evidence of that.

It struck me as such a neat cover, since it had nothing to do with the game at all.

There's a possibility that someone photoshopped this in the old Wii thread, but I remember thinking it was legit, based on goon discussion.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Fragile Dreams, maybe? That's not the cover, but most of the promotional images are similar to that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Similar imagery is used in the Zettai Zetsumi Toshi games.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I am thinking of an RPG on the PS2, which I think was a JRPG. The only detail I can remember is during the story the female member of your party gets either possessed or is a female demon/or female something (who was pretty anime), who helps out for a dungeon then fucks off. I don't think it was a SMT or Persona game, but nothing is coming to mind.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Grandia 2, she was there for more than a dungeon though?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Grandia 2, she was there for more than a dungeon though?

She usually shows up for one dungeon, then vanishes for a while before showing up again. That's definitely Grandia 2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah, yeah it's been a while since I played it myself.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
If you want to go back to it there's a solid PC port on Steam now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Got another game I remember but never actually played. Japanese, top-down SHMUP, early to mid 2000s, saw the review on X-Play. The two things I remember are that the enemies were super weird, like, giant babyheads or something, and that one playable character could turn into a werewolf and pinball around the screen. It might have been part of a series, maybe.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

HMS Boromir posted:

If you want to go back to it there's a solid PC port on Steam now.

And of course you did a Let's Play of a hard mode hack of it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mordja posted:

Got another game I remember but never actually played. Japanese, top-down SHMUP, early to mid 2000s, saw the review on X-Play. The two things I remember are that the enemies were super weird, like, giant babyheads or something, and that one playable character could turn into a werewolf and pinball around the screen. It might have been part of a series, maybe.

One of the Shikigami games?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

And of course you did a Let's Play of a hard mode hack of it.

It's archived proof of how bad the previous PC port was.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Mordja posted:

The werewolf guy is Hyuga from Castle Shikigami 2. I can't find any gameplay footage of him specifically, but this is better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1oqFliwrPs

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
I'm looking for an the name of an old DOS Space Invaders/Galaxian-type fixed vertical (firing direction, not screen orientation) shoot 'em up from the early to mid-90s. I feel like saying it was developed in the UK, but I was like six when I played it so I'm honestly not sure. It was a somewhat generic space-themed deal, but the graphics were pretty neat. As I recall, it had a background with motion blurred stars scrolling past at different speeds.

I only remember one of the enemy sprites. I think it was the toughest one, it flew in the middle of the swarm and it looked something like this: What a mean alien. Look at those tentacles, they even moved around as it flew in space.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Ag Bengip posted:

I'm looking for an the name of an old DOS Space Invaders/Galaxian-type fixed vertical (firing direction, not screen orientation) shoot 'em up from the early to mid-90s. I feel like saying it was developed in the UK, but I was like six when I played it so I'm honestly not sure. It was a somewhat generic space-themed deal, but the graphics were pretty neat. As I recall, it had a background with motion blurred stars scrolling past at different speeds.

I only remember one of the enemy sprites. I think it was the toughest one, it flew in the middle of the swarm and it looked something like this: What a mean alien. Look at those tentacles, they even moved around as it flew in space.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Longshot but Xenon 2?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think you mean Xenon 2: MEGABLAST

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

duckfarts posted:

Longshot but Xenon 2?

No, but thanks.

I remembered something else about it. I got it from a friend, and I'm pretty sure we called it 'UFO Attack', but 'Attack' definitely wasn't correct - there was a longer, more difficult word there that we couldn't pronounce because we were six and didn't know much English. The only search results I'm getting are early games from the celebrated X-COM series.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Well, either your memories of the other part of the name are wrong, or you're looking for a legendarily rare game, so hopefully it wasn't actually called "UFO something", but that's about as good as I can do for help. Could be possible that other things are different, though.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Cheez posted:

or you're looking for a legendarily rare game

This certainly is a possibility. The graphical quality was more professional than you'd typically see in a very obscure game (my recreation above doesn't do it justice), but I'd say the gameplay was definitely too simple to befit a remotely high-profile release at the time. Thanks for your consideration.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Does anyone remember an old arcade shooter with 2 plastic guns, where you had to kill zombies/skeletons/etc and the first boss you fight is giant golem thing with a little guy flying around his head, and you have to shoot the little guy to hurt the golem.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
House of the Dead 2.

boof
Jun 3, 2001
House of the Dead 2.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Suffer like G did.

Also I feel bad for you since the version where you use a keyboard and all the agents have Dreamcasts on their back is clearly the canonical one.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
This is a real longshot, but here's a game that came to mind.

Pretty sure it was on the Commodore 64, but I guess it might have been a really old DOS game. I remember very little of it because we didn't really have an idea what we were doing. I think you were some kind of warrior going along a forest, sometimes fighting other people in maybe sword duels. I believe it had a sideview (might have been kind of like a beat'em up view), you could walk left and right, and also "up" and "down" where there was a pathway to get to different sideview areas.

Now, what I remember most is that at some point, I don't know how, but I think I somehow messed with the controls and made it so your character was always crouching when not moving, and my brother was really angry at me for it because we had no clue how to fix things. Closing the game and starting again didn't help as far as I remember.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

This is a real longshot, but here's a game that came to mind.

Pretty sure it was on the Commodore 64, but I guess it might have been a really old DOS game. I remember very little of it because we didn't really have an idea what we were doing. I think you were some kind of warrior going along a forest, sometimes fighting other people in maybe sword duels. I believe it had a sideview (might have been kind of like a beat'em up view), you could walk left and right, and also "up" and "down" where there was a pathway to get to different sideview areas.

Now, what I remember most is that at some point, I don't know how, but I think I somehow messed with the controls and made it so your character was always crouching when not moving, and my brother was really angry at me for it because we had no clue how to fix things. Closing the game and starting again didn't help as far as I remember.

Was it Blade Warrior? It didn't come out for c64, but was on DOS.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Keru posted:

Was it Blade Warrior? It didn't come out for c64, but was on DOS.

Doesn't seem familiar, I don't remember it having such good art.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tir Na Nog had a C64 port I think, though it was more of an RPG puzzle thing and you rotated the view yourself

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Doesn't seem familiar, I don't remember it having such good art.

Usagi Yojimbo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slBHx5_8fms

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Tir Na Nog seems similar in how the screen looks, though I could swear you played a knight, or maybe someone with musketeer-esque clothing, and had a sword. We always had trouble figuring out how to take out the sword and be able to defend ourselves.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Tir Na Nog seems similar in how the screen looks, though I could swear you played a knight, or maybe someone with musketeer-esque clothing, and had a sword. We always had trouble figuring out how to take out the sword and be able to defend ourselves.

Maybe it's the Zorro game that was out for C64?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Okay, thanks everyone for your help. Seeing all your suggestions got me to try harder at finding it myself too, and I'm pretty sure I found it - Robin of the Wood

It seems like you always do that sort of crouching thing when not moving, so my brother was angry at me for no reason! :mad:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Keru posted:

Maybe it's the Zorro game that was out for C64?

Oh wow, I was recently thinking about this very game and couldn't remember its name. So even if you didn't mean to and I didn't ask... you helped me remember the name of this game. :)

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

boof posted:

House of the Dead 2.

HMS Boromir posted:

House of the Dead 2.

Thank you!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

betterinsodapop posted:

Oh wow, I was recently thinking about this very game and couldn't remember its name. So even if you didn't mean to and I didn't ask... you helped me remember the name of this game. :)

I wouldn't have remembered the game without Zanzibar Ham trying to remember his game, so hey.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Okay, so, I'm trying to figure out what a game I saw recently was.
It looked like a new-ish historical or fantasy strategy game, I think it was turn-based. The user interface had a brown border. It looked like someone was collecting gold from their cities or for some other reason a little gold coin icon and some numbers were above a city.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Okay, so, I'm trying to figure out what a game I saw recently was.
It looked like a new-ish historical or fantasy strategy game, I think it was turn-based. The user interface had a brown border. It looked like someone was collecting gold from their cities or for some other reason a little gold coin icon and some numbers were above a city.

This could be pretty much any turn-based strategy or real time strategy, but "new-ish historical or fantasy turn based strategy" sounds like Warhammer Total War, which does have a sorta brown border?

Or for that matter any Total War, like Atilla or Rome 2, or also Age of Wonders 3.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Zaphod42 posted:

This could be pretty much any turn-based strategy or real time strategy, but "new-ish historical or fantasy turn based strategy" sounds like Warhammer Total War, which does have a sorta brown border?

Or for that matter any Total War, like Atilla or Rome 2, or also Age of Wonders 3.

It wasn't any of the Total War games. It had a much thicker actual border of a UI (almost like that of Civ 4), not just a couple little boxes. I know that's not terribly helpful. Age of Wonders 3 isn't right either.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Endless Legend? :shrug:e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop