Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Boob Marley posted:

I see your point on the shooting being so good. I guess maybe it set the tone for my expectations in regards to character and theme though, and I was let down.

I don't speak cinematic language, but if you expound on that a bit I'll hear you out.

Well, for instance the sexually repressed society of Krypton having H.R. Giger phallic imagery everywhere. Those kind of visual markers make the Kryptonians "feel" like they're barely containing themselves, which makes it hit harder aesthetically when they're shown bursting around at super high speeds and exploding out of their eyeballs. It's like all of the repression is finally being released with every usage of their powers.

Compare that with Superman/2's cold, angular aesthetic in Krypton, and how much care and control is shown with their usage of powers (as well as Stamp Zod's arrogant coldness).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Boob Marley posted:

Again, you're drat right it is. And it's a successful franchise because it delivers on a slew of little things that people love and enjoy. It's not a successful franchise because it runs roughshod over what people know and love about the characters, it's successful because it gives fans of the source material a pay off without excluding general audiences. MoS did neither. You can call Marvel Studios a big evil money machine all day long, but the means of their success, the way in which they accumulate such wealth and success, has had everything to do with the quality of their content. Starbucks is everyone's favorite big-bag company to hate on because they've permeated the earth with their stores. Well, they got that way for a reason - their coffee is good.

Wait, so it's you who claims that movies that make a lot of money are automatically good!

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Boob Marley posted:

Again, you're drat right it is. And it's a successful franchise because it delivers on a slew of little things that people love and enjoy. It's not a successful franchise because it runs roughshod over what people know and love about the characters, it's successful because it gives fans of the source material a pay off without excluding general audiences. MoS did neither. You can call Marvel Studios a big evil money machine all day long, but the means of their success, the way in which they accumulate such wealth and success, has had everything to do with the quality of their content. Starbucks is everyone's favorite big-bag company to hate on because they've permeated the earth with their stores. Well, they got that way for a reason - their coffee is good.
They're successful because they took a risk with Iron Man and have been playing it safe ever since, I'm not questioning their financial success I'm questioning that they have 'creative and artistic integrity.'

Case in point, they're like ten movies in and still don't have a black and/or female lead film.

justdan posted:

Yeah, I hate when Superheroes in Superhero Movies actually, you know, save people!

I want some *realism* and real "unsanitized" violence in my film about an alien demigod in blue spandex and red cape fighting other aliens!

he saved the world

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

Darko posted:

Well, for instance the sexually repressed society of Krypton having H.R. Giger phallic imagery everywhere. Those kind of visual markers make the Kryptonians "feel" like they're barely containing themselves, which makes it hit harder aesthetically when they're shown bursting around at super high speeds and exploding out of their eyeballs. It's like all of the repression is finally being released with every usage of their powers.

Compare that with Superman/2's cold, angular aesthetic in Krypton, and how much care and control is shown with their usage of powers (as well as Stamp Zod's arrogant coldness).

I'm not being facetious when I say that this is blowing my goddamn mind.
I really want watch MoS again now to get in on this assessment with you.

As an aside, everyone, I just learned that your beloved BvS is now officially doomed - it's going up in theaters against My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Boob Marley posted:

They're successful because they are using the Disney model of providing a formula that will appeal to the widest audience possible, and ensure that nobody "hates" it.

For another example, look at ultra successful movie Avatar, and look at the trail of online scripts by date that show Cameron starting with a deeper, more interesting movie, and then gradually trimming it down to be more and more formulaic as it got closer to the shooting script. Thus, its success.

There's a skill in wide appeal, hell, Hollywood's most popular periods are full of formulaic wide appeal things. However, when it comes to (subjective) artistic merit, generally things that are polarizing at first often have more than things that everyone likes. The polarization normally comes from defying expectations, and one individual embracing it, while another does not.

That's why Rotten Tomatoes is always a bad metric. Good/Bad consensus just means that nobody said something sucked or everyone did. Stuff in the 60s/50s is often the polarizing stuff that is sometimes more interesting.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

justdan posted:

Yeah, I hate when Superheroes in Superhero Movies actually, you know, save people!

I want some *realism* and real "unsanitized" violence in my film about an alien demigod in blue spandex and red cape fighting other aliens!

"Don't worry little buddy only 12 people died in all those explosions and collapsing buildings in Avengers" - Joss Whedon as he cradles your head in his lap, gently stroking your hair

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

justdan posted:

It's actually refreshing compared to "quipping in the face of danger", especially when they try to act all dramatic and serious not long after.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

justdan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8EydFeuPK8

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

Luminous Obscurity posted:

they took a risk with Iron Man

I'm questioning that they have 'creative and artistic integrity.'

Case in point, they're like ten movies in and still don't have a black and/or female lead film.

Yes, that would just be so bold. Having a black and/or female lead is ipso facto artistic and creative.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

I mean, I could maybe see that argument in 2013 when the only DC movies were :nolan: and Man of Steel but these days we have a Wonder Woman movie being shot while Black Widow is always the Bridesmaid and the other woman centered Marvel film is still TBA.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Boob Marley posted:

I'm not being facetious when I say that this is blowing my goddamn mind.
I really want watch MoS again now to get in on this assessment with you.

As an aside, everyone, I just learned that your beloved BvS is now officially doomed - it's going up in theaters against My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2.

MoS has a ton of visual details that align with the text on screen, and a lot of little imagery tricks that are constantly manipulating your emotions. Snyder actually draws and storyboards, so his imagery has a ton of "meaning" and thought behind why everything is exactly what it is.

Again, I think the movie is a bit disjointed and could be better in many places, but I'll be damned if it isn't one of the most visually interesting of the current superhero movies, if not the most. I always appreciate being able to look at things over and over and find new things to appreciate.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

Darko posted:

They're successful because they are using the Disney model of providing a formula that will appeal to the widest audience possible, and ensure that nobody "hates" it.

For another example, look at ultra successful movie Avatar, and look at the trail of online scripts by date that show Cameron starting with a deeper, more interesting movie, and then gradually trimming it down to be more and more formulaic as it got closer to the shooting script. Thus, its success.

There's a skill in wide appeal, hell, Hollywood's most popular periods are full of formulaic wide appeal things. However, when it comes to (subjective) artistic merit, generally things that are polarizing at first often have more than things that everyone likes. The polarization normally comes from defying expectations, and one individual embracing it, while another does not.

That's why Rotten Tomatoes is always a bad metric. Good/Bad consensus just means that nobody said something sucked or everyone did. Stuff in the 60s/50s is often the polarizing stuff that is sometimes more interesting.

Yup.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boob Marley posted:

Yes, that would just be so bold. Having a black and/or female lead is ipso facto artistic and creative.

Compared to the MCU, this is actually true.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Boob Marley posted:

In Hollywood, it kind of is. Hollywood is racist and misogynist as gently caress. Challenging that status quo, particularly when you're a huge 'brand' like Marvel Studios is a bold statement. Look at the reactions to the new Star Wars film.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

I actually agree with his first tweet, he just loses me at the second. Banner and Stark just seem like they should probably get drunk and make out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They're successful because they took a risk with Iron Man and have been playing it safe ever since, I'm not questioning their financial success I'm questioning that they have 'creative and artistic integrity.'

I think it's pretty unreasonable to say something like Iron Man 3 has no creative or artistic integrity. Regardless of your own personal feelings about the film doing an Iron Man film featuring minimal Iron Man Suit where the suit is treated like a diposable toy the protagonist needs to get around and the villain is an explicit criticism of both America cultural in general and a lesser criticism of fans and arguably even the studio. You can argue it failed and you're free to do so but pretending like it was just a random thing they shat out without care is pretty disingenuous.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Touche, I honestly forgot about IM3. :shobon:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

how about just not thinking about shipping, though? Like, at all.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Slugworth posted:

I actually agree with his first tweet, he just loses me at the second. Banner and Stark just seem like they should probably get drunk and make out.

People shipping Batman and Superman has been a thing for decades, though.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

In Hollywood, it kind of is. Hollywood is racist and misogynist as gently caress. Challenging that status quo, particularly when you're a huge 'brand' like Marvel Studios is a bold statement. Look at the reactions to the new Star Wars film.

At least the MCU incorporates women and minorities as main characters.
Where the hell is my Wonder Woman Movie? The DCU has the most iconic female lead of all time and instead of setting up a wannabe Justice League movie on the already dispelled premise of Batman fighting Superman, why not give us a Wonder Woman movie somewhere in that 3 year silence between MoS and now to bolster the whole Justice League premise?

I'm out to lunch, I'll be back to disappoint you later.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

this seems like a weird pair of tweets to make before bvs is even out and we haven't yet seen where bats and supes relation to each other are at by the end of the film

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Grendels Dad posted:

I ship Boob Marley with MisterBibs after the last few days

If y'all wanna ship me with another CD goon, that's fine because that's okay

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boob Marley posted:

Where the hell is my Wonder Woman Movie?

It's shooting right now and it's coming out next year.

Where's my Black Widow movie?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Grendels Dad posted:

Oh well yeah, obviously, but now that it's been brought up, you know?

But yeah, I am fine with Mulder never breaking that sexual tension with Skinner.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Even ignoring saving the world, Superman in that film is saving individuals and groups of people all over the place, often at great risk of injury or actual injury to himself.

It's like the loudest complainers about the movie didn't even watch it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

computer parts posted:

Compared to the MCU, this is actually true.

Neither Marvel or DC are doing particularly great here. Black Panther is announced, Wonder Woman is announced, neither have come out and both are being debuted in someone else's film. It's not a case of either/or in this case, both need to shape up. DC having fewer films doesn't mean a lot when they have a long history of films not doing it.

... that said, is there some reason people keep going "MoS was the first and only DCU film" and ignore Green Lantern. Does the fact it failed suddenly mean it doesn't count as an attempt?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Boob Marley posted:

Where the hell is my Wonder Woman Movie? The DCU has the most iconic female lead of all time and instead of setting up a wannabe Justice League movie on the already dispelled premise of Batman fighting Superman, why not give us a Wonder Woman movie somewhere in that 3 year silence between MoS and now to bolster the whole Justice League premise?

boy i have some good news for you; they're filming a wonder woman movie right now and it's gonna come out before marvel releases a woman-led film despite having like, 6 years of a head start

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

... that said, is there some reason people keep going "MoS was the first and only DCU film" and ignore Green Lantern. Does the fact it failed suddenly mean it doesn't count as an attempt?

The fact that it's not part of the DCU. They're doing another Green Lantern film in like 2020 but Ryan Reynolds will not be part of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

computer parts posted:

The fact that it's not part of the DCU. They're doing another Green Lantern film in like 2020 but Ryan Reynolds will not be part of it.

Yeah but like... they intended it to be, it just failed and so they're pretending it didn't happen. When people are bringing up the Nolan trilogy it feels weird for everyone to forget that DC had another film it was just something everyone is pretending didn't happen.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

tbh I'm willing to cut DC some slack on being so tentative with making a Wonder Woman film specifically because she has a ton of symbolic value to people as a feminist icon and if you gently caress up a WW movie its not like making a bad Batman or Superman where people just shrug and wait for the next one, a bad WW film would be a loving landmine of bad press.

still no excuse for not doing other woman-led films tho

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

It counts as much as the first Hulk movie and Daredevil and Elektra. And the Blade movies. And all the Superman movies before MoS. And all the Batman films. And Howard The Duck.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Boob Marley posted:

Sucide Squad has a black man as a main character and four female main characters (two of them are non-white and another is played by an openly bisexual woman.) A movie about dangerous supervillians is more diverse than most of the MCU.

Equeen fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 11, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah but like... they intended it to be, it just failed and so they're pretending it didn't happen. When people are bringing up the Nolan trilogy it feels weird for everyone to forget that DC had another film it was just something everyone is pretending didn't happen.

It's also because no one saw it, and there's very little indication that any subsequent films are going to be anything like it. (Zach Snyder is basically determining the whole tone of this universe)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grendels Dad posted:

Too late, lover.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Too late, lover.

You and me, OTP.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Equeen posted:

Sucide Squad has a black man as a main character and four female main characters (two of them are non-white and another is played by an openly bisexual woman. A movie about dangerous supervillians is more diverse than most of the MCU.

That's actually an interesting element. Suicide Squad is a more diverse film but it's also a film about criminals and villains. This kinda plays directly into the Hollywood cliche. That doesn't mean DC is wrong or bad for doing or or anything, just that it's not exactly breaking the mold either. I think when people say a female-lead film or a black-lead film they mean one about a heroic character rather than, at best, a somewhat heroic criminal.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Boob Marley posted:

Wow really?

Okay that's the tone to take here.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

That's actually an interesting element. Suicide Squad is a more diverse film but it's also a film about criminals and villains. This kinda plays directly into the Hollywood cliche. That doesn't mean DC is wrong or bad for doing or or anything, just that it's not exactly breaking the mold either. I think when people say a female-lead film or a black-lead film they mean one about a heroic character rather than, at best, a somewhat heroic criminal.

This is a really stupid point to draw hairs over.

When you get down to it, ALL super heroes are criminals. What makes them heroes is that they're saving the world, which the Suicide Squad are doing.

Also DC is the only company that has a history of TRYING to make female super hero movies, even if they've never turned out...good.

Marvel never has.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Burkion posted:

This is a really stupid point to draw hairs over.

When you get down to it, ALL super heroes are criminals. What makes them heroes is that they're saving the world, which the Suicide Squad are doing.

Also DC is the only company that has a history of TRYING to make female super hero movies, even if they've never turned out...good.

Marvel never has.

Electra?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I'm willing to bet part of Suicide Squad will be informing the audience about how some of these characters became villains because of their circumstances instead of by choice. The only one admitting to loving crime for the sake of crime being the pasty white, green haired fella.

• Locked thread