Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
https://www.daybreakgames.com/news/daybreak-president-community-letter-everquest-next-2016

RIP in piss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I don't think anyone is surprised. The writing was on the wall for months.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

jabro posted:

I don't think anyone is surprised. The writing was on the wall for years.

ftfy

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I find this very sad, very annoying, and very unsurprising. The game was totally dead once 1) Dave G was canned, 2) that AI company building the quest engine was let go, and 3) Daybreak bought SOE. Oh well.

So I guess this Amazon ad is lying to me :(

Orv
May 4, 2011
The game was dead when they started saying all that insane poo poo about a totally dynamic world with voxel destruction.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Orv posted:

The game was dead when they started saying all that insane poo poo about a totally dynamic world with voxel destruction.

And when they crowd sourced their world construction and the crowd never showed up. Or... well they did show up, the the promised toolbox never delivered.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
Where do I put in to get my refund on landmark because my idiot friend said pre-ordering landmark was preordering EQ3. I haven't played landmark since the day it came out; there were no monsters to fight and it didn't feel like EQ at all.

Nevermind, I'll just kill my friend.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
They announced the game about 2 years too early, full stop. In hindsight, I think EQ next had to have been in development for way longer than any of us could imagine. SoE higher ups and Sony proper probably started forcing them to release what they had (namely Landmark) as a way to bring in some money to justify the development time and the whole venture backfired on them.

I really want someone to write the tell all about how hosed development of this game was, Game Change style.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Freakazoid_ posted:

Well before the acquisition, I had a feeling just based on the direction Landmark was going that Next was going to be dropped in favor of Landmark. Landmark didn't need pve/pvp content, but it got it, and I can't help but wonder if the guys upstairs were already looking to consolidate.

Now it's them that have been consolidated :v:

Called it!

Landmark launching this spring.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
9.99$ seems like a strangely low price for a project like this. But also, launch? Spring THIS year? After reading about the upcoming update I was thinking more along the lines of "I guess they are getting ready for a Steam Early Access launch".
My shitshow senses are tingling.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I just went and killed Holly Windstalker on P99 in honor of the upcoming shitshow.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'm sure there were signs before, but when they took the Everquest name off was the first time I remember looking at this train wreck and laughing out loud. Anyone that gave $100 for this turd deserves all the pain forthcoming. No updates for over a year, yeah this baby is prime time ready for launch.

RIP in piss indeed.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Nooooo, Everquest next! So young and too soon!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Hopefully they'll allocate more people to H1Z1 now. I like that game a lot and it needs faster and better updates.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Republicans posted:

Hopefully they'll allocate more people to H1Z1 now. I like that game a lot and it needs faster and better updates.

I'm sure the H1Z1 team will get 100% of the zero people that has been working on EQN.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Republicans posted:

Me too. Well, they can go anywhere, as long as they don't go to Everquest. Everquest is treated like dogshit, and we've been fed so much of that dogshit that we're used to it by now. I don't think we can handle good news.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Nooooo, Everquest next! So young and too soon!

I knew this game would never get made http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/952/view/videos/play/4833/MMOFTW-EverQuest-Next-is-Cancelled.html

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A disgustingly shameless cash grab.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Vermain posted:

A disgustingly shameless cash grab.

Speaking of cash grabs, wasn't there some kind of promotion tired into landmark and next? I'm sure those people are pissed.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, $100 founder packs

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

EQ next cancelled and Wildstar is about to be sunset. What a brutal time for MMOs.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I can't wait to throw money at the next EQ iteration! *crosses fingers for VR, dynamic world, voxels*

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Still, weep not for EQN, if the people making it thought it was so terrible it needed taking out behind the shed, it must have been shoddy indeed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Not at all surprised. Worried though for the future of Everquest in general though. If Daybreak goes under then Everquest goes with it for good. I mean I don't even play EQ anymore but it's such an important video game and it would be a huge shame to lose it forever because it's in the hands of incompetent people. It seems very clear to me that Daybreak is not going to last, they just have not done anything good since making Everquest 2.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

EQ next cancelled and Wildstar is about to be sunset. What a brutal time for MMOs.
The genre has stagnated a lot over the last decade and competes poorly for fun per time/money invested these days it seems. Not sure what the solution is, but it's been a brutal time for MMOs for awhile.

With how Landmark went down, no surprise EQN won't see the light of day and it's probably for the best: a nostalgia dose does not compensate an unfun game; realistically, it probably makes it that much more disappointing that it doesn't measure up to the good ol' days.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I called it a couple years ago that MMORPGs were a fading trend and I really think that is the direction the genre is still heading. The best MMORPGs can do anymore is a month or two of large success but then they drop off drastically after that and become ghost towns from then on out. The only truly successful MMORPG in the last few years has been Final Fantasy XIV.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's a consequence of companies figuring out that they can create microtransaction gambling dens with the patina of a game splashed on them for 1/10th of the cost of an MMO. For an MMO developer to keep making money, they have to spend enormous time and effort in creating content month after month; Puzzle & Dragon merely has to hire an artist to draw ten anime girls and roll a few dice to figure out what stats they'll have and they're raking in millions. FFXIV is a drop of water in the vast ocean of Square-Enix's profits compared to their mobile games division.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

For an MMO developer to keep making money, they have to spend enormous time and effort in creating content month after month; compared to their mobile games division.

Do we have randomly generated dungeons/stories yet? It was a thing in that one space Funcom game but I haven't seen it much since. Would it be so hard to just tell a raid how hard you want it to be and have a computer generate a unique raid for your party on the spot?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well you could but it would never be as interesting as hand-crafted PvE content or PvP.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I heard that EQN was cancelled. I was actually somewhat curious about this because EQ was my first MMO and you always look back fondly on your first, right?

So what's the deal with EQL, EQN, etc? I thought that Landmark was like, worldbuilding for EQN or something.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

khy posted:

I heard that EQN was cancelled. I was actually somewhat curious about this because EQ was my first MMO and you always look back fondly on your first, right?

So what's the deal with EQL, EQN, etc? I thought that Landmark was like, worldbuilding for EQN or something.

Everquest Landmark has been renamed to just Landmark and is like Minecraft now but as an MMO. Everquest Next has been officially canceled.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > Landmark will be shutdown within a year [IGN] [NEWS] [56k no way!]

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Maybe these companies have finally figured out that no one wants another unpolished WoW clone with some gimmick as a selling point.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

crabcakes66 posted:

Maybe these companies have finally figured out that no one wants another unpolished WoW clone with some gimmick as a selling point.

Wasn't Everquest Next supposed to be the antithesis of a WoW clone though?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

crabcakes66 posted:

The actual problem now is companies are trying NOT to do that as much as possible and then at some point going "oh wait, this isn't actually any fun in practice". Same reason why Blizzard's Titan project was canceled.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Wasn't Everquest Next supposed to be the antithesis of a WoW clone though?

Speaking more to the downturn and constant failure of MMOs than specifically to this pile of poo poo.

cathead posted:

The actual problem now is companies are trying NOT to do that as much as possible and then at some point going "oh wait, this isn't actually any fun in practice". Same reason why Blizzard's Titan project was canceled.

I don't agree with that. Most of the smaller MMOs trying to separate themselves have been lovely unpolished games that would have failed regardless of any similarities to WoW.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Again, it's just business. MMOs are horrifically expensive to produce, have had marginal returns over time with a small few exceptions (World of Warcraft and Lineage 1 being the big two), and demand a constant team of developers devoting resources to it to maintain the product. If you've got a subscription model, you have to have a hellishly fast turnaround on new content (FFXIV's three month patch rate isn't just for show; they've gone on record saying that subscription numbers drop like a stone a month after a new patch has come out). If you've got microtransaction gambling as your big moneymaker instead, then you can do that at significantly reduced cost and reach out to a larger audience with mobile games like Puzzle & Dragon or Clash of Clans.

Even if you really want to make some kind of PC game, you're better off making something in a genre that doesn't require quite as many resources and which doesn't have as much complexity as an MMO. League of Legends is successful today in no small part to the fact that the most you've really got to devote in terms of resources (beyond balance designers and character creation) is reskins and splash art. You don't need teams of people trying to come up with two interesting dungeons and a mechanically intensive raid every three months, and the basic nature of the gameplay itself (which relies on player competition, keeping the gameplay fresh with each game you play) keeps people coming back and willing to purchase microtransaction skins.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 13, 2016

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Everquest Landmark has been renamed to just Landmark and is like Minecraft now but as an MMO. Everquest Next has been officially canceled.

So I heard the alpha was going to be player building the world. Did that ever happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Why would someone play Landmark instead of mine craft. The only reason anyone card about it was because it had the Everquest name.

• Locked thread