Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

we believe in equality dc protests despite their target audience being white dudes in their 40s

That would be the comics which are unarguably the worst part of the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Electromax posted:

I pre-nominate Gal Godot for Glamour's Woman of the Year 2017.

I never saw Watchmen but when my friend wanted to watch it at his house it was like 4 hours long and it had a lengthy cartoon part in the middle. We vetoed it - that has to be an extended cut I assume? I thought it was just a normal-length movie before that and I didn't know it switched styles like that.

that's an extended cut yes that inserts the tales of the black freighter bit into its original-ish place in the story

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Venture brothers has an iteration of Wonder Woman on the show this season. She's banging Brock.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electromax posted:

I never saw Watchmen but when my friend wanted to watch it at his house it was like 4 hours long and it had a lengthy cartoon part in the middle. We vetoed it - that has to be an extended cut I assume? I thought it was just a normal-length movie before that and I didn't know it switched styles like that.

That is the extended cut and yeah, it really doesn't help the film. To be honest it doesn't really help the comic either, it's a thematically interesting element that takes forever to pay off.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Electromax posted:

Yeah in the comic there's this story in the middle about this pirate ship comic. They animated it as like a bonus feature and the "ultimate edition" includes it in the film itself. The original cut itself is still 162 minutes though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion posted:

Yeah, as said above- and it's still ridiculous that out of all of the studios that have had Marvel properties, Elektra is the only attempt.

DC has tried in the past. They've been trying. And we're going to get Wonder Woman years before any female led Marvel film.

There's been several female led superhero movies: 1984 Supergirl, 2004 Catwoman, 2005 Elektra. Part of the current problem is that those three films really loving sucked and bombed really hard and gave female superheroes a reputation as box office poison. (There's a bizarre dichotomy in Hollywood film production where they're desperate to acquire and develop absolutely every IP they can get their hands on but they're also incredibly risk adverse.)

Don't forget that Catwoman was actually a really sincere attempt at making a female led superhero blockbuster. It had a $100 million budget (at the time that was the the 5th biggest budget of any superhero movie) and starred Halle Berry and Sharon Stone, two of the biggest female movie stars of the time . Hollywood just went "Well, we tried but audiences just don't want to see female superheroes!" and moved on.

The 1984 Supergirl movie, on the other hand, was produced back in the era of Superman 3 & 4, Howard the Duck and Swamp Thing and 5 years before Batman 1989 started the next superhero wave. It only had a budget of $35m (less than Howard The Duck's $38m budget) and starred first timer Helen Slater.

Elektra .... well you all know how hard that sucked.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

That would be the comics which are unarguably the worst part of the whole thing.

the attitude is not contained to just the comics hth

you can see it in the way wonder woman debuts

not in her own movie, not even in a major role in the story. she appears midfight in the movie headlined by two white dudes.

get over this DC IS SO MUCH MORE PROGRESSIVE BUT ONLY IN THE MOVIES thing. they're both dickin it up.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I'm six years late on this but I finally watched Watchmen and I loved it. Probably my favorite comic book movie. Thematically dense, interesting characters, great setting and tone. Extremely my poo poo. What's the general consensus on it?

If you want more than a cliffs notes version of that story just read the graphic novel. The movie hits the beats and moves on way too quickly. Adrian Veidt and Laurie Jupiter were badly cast. The movie has some pretty shots and touches on interesting stuff but is a thematic puddle compared to the lake that is the comic. Plus the book's criticism of superheroes doesn't really translate well to film; the original comic was a direct response to comics of the time and the movie doesn't serve the same function for comic movies of its time.

I read today that Chris Nolan told Snyder he made that movie too soon, and that is extremely on point. There's enough context now for moviegoing audiences to get what it's doing that didn't exist back in 09 or whenever it was. It would have been even more interesting coming from Snyder after having 2-3 DC movies under his belt.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the attitude is not contained to just the comics hth

you can see it in the way wonder woman debuts

not in her own movie, not even in a major role in the story. she appears midfight in the movie headlined by two white dudes.

get over this DC IS SO MUCH MORE PROGRESSIVE BUT ONLY IN THE MOVIES thing. they're both dickin it up.

oh word, you've already seen bvs and know how much of a role wonder woman plays?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

If you want more than a cliffs notes version of that story just read the graphic novel. The movie hits the beats and moves on way too quickly. Adrian Veidt and Laurie Jupiter were badly cast. The movie has some pretty shots and touches on interesting stuff but is a thematic puddle compared to the lake that is the comic. Plus the book's criticism of superheroes doesn't really translate well to film; the original comic was a direct response to comics of the time and the movie doesn't serve the same function for comic movies of its time.

I read today that Chris Nolan told Snyder he made that movie too soon, and that is extremely on point. There's enough context now for moviegoing audiences to get what it's doing that didn't exist back in 09 or whenever it was. It would have been even more interesting coming from Snyder after having 2-3 DC movies under his belt.

Maybe me not caring about the comic helps. I thought Veidt and Jupiter were great.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

justdan posted:

Yeah, I hate when Superheroes in Superhero Movies actually, you know, save people!

Then it's a good thing that Superman blew up the World Engine, saving the lives every man, woman, and dog on Earth. That was pretty super, man.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Colonel Whitey posted:

the original comic was a direct response to comics of the time

no it wasn't, it was drawing on golden/silver age stuff super heavily and transplanting them into a modern/realistic setting

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think it's a little disingenuous to say that Sharon Stone was one of the biggest movie stars around 2004.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ImpAtom posted:

That is the extended cut and yeah, it really doesn't help the film.

There are actually three versions -- the theatrical, the director's cut and the "ultimate" cut. I believe the director's cut is the only one that made it to Blu-ray. It adds about fifteen minutes or so but it has a lot of nice material.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Brother Entropy posted:

oh word, you've already seen bvs and know how much of a role wonder woman plays?

i'm sure she is a major part of the movie with two other dudes' names in the title, at least on equal footing with those two dudes, and is in no way there for dc to bungle the creation of the Cinematic Universe when they also shove the rest of the justice league in there

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

no it wasn't, it was drawing on golden/silver age stuff super heavily and transplanting them into a modern/realistic setting

It was doing both. The original Watchmen were golden/silver age heroes while the modern Watchmen were modern heroes.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

uhhhhh drawing on old comic stuff and transplanting them to a modern setting sounds exactly like being a direct response to modern comics

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Colonel Whitey posted:

It was doing both. The original Watchmen were golden/silver age heroes while the modern Watchmen were modern heroes.

the modern watchmen were also golden and silver age heroes goof troop

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Brother Entropy posted:

uhhhhh drawing on old comic stuff and transplanting them to a modern setting sounds exactly like being a direct response to modern comics

it was literally not about modern comics at all though is the thing

comics post watchmen were more of a response to watchmen than watchmen was to its immediate predecessors

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think it's a little disingenuous to say that Sharon Stone was one of the biggest movie stars around 2004.

Yeah I'll pay that, for some reason I thought it Basic Instinct was just before it and not 12 years earlier.

Edit: in fact Catwoman was released just 2 years before Basic Instinct 2 which was pretty much the death knell on Stone's career

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 11, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
spoilers dark knight returns (relevant to BvS discussion) was also not a response to modern batman comics, it was a response to a long-standing editorial policy of batman never aging past 29

dc then got hung up on this book about how silly it is for comics to never change or grow and has shcakled themselves to the aesthetic trappings of that book for fuckin 30 years without getting the irony of it

which is p funny and also sad

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I'll pay that, for some reason I thought it Basic Instinct was just before it and not 12 years earlier.

Maybe you were thinking of Basic Instinct 2, which was a couple years later and she is just having a drat ball in.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Maybe you were thinking of Basic Instinct 2, which was a couple years later and she is just having a drat ball in.

"David Morrissey: Leading Man" is just the funniest goddamn idea to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

I read today that Chris Nolan told Snyder he made that movie too soon, and that is extremely on point.

This is kind of hard to argue with. Watchmen is kind-of-sort-of a commentary on the movies but it doesn't have a lo to draw from. A Watchmen made today would have a lot more to say because 'modern comic movies' is a more cohesive ground to target than the weird mishmash of stuff that existed prior to Watchmen

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The beauty of the Watchmen movie is that it predicted Marvel Studios.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Maybe me not caring about the comic helps.

That's disheartening, but ok.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The Buzzfeed articles are becoming self aware.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Electromax posted:

Yeah, there's 3 different versions, theatrical, director's cut and "complete" or something like that. Only the third one has the cartoon bit in the middle. I think the director's cut has the cartoon as a separate feature.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Colonel Whitey posted:

That's disheartening, but ok.

Take it from me a guy who cares about comics

Don't care about comics

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Take it from me, a guy who cares about some comics: care about some comics and don't care about other comics!

Or don't, whatever, I'm not the boss of you.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Care about stuff you like. There are good comics.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
At the very least, DC seems to be pretty confident in their CU and Im very much on board with this approach.

DC posted:

All of these movies plan to introduce their characters in the same way, appearing in someone else's movie first before setting off on their own adventure. As the Justice League Part 1 story will continue on in Aquaman and The Flash,Diana Prince's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice story will also continue on in her own solo movie, which makes perfect sense.

http://movieweb.com/aquaman-flash-justice-league-movie-story/

Also loved this

Chris Terrio posted:

Writing the epic superhero ensemble actually had Chris Terrio studying a number of topics he never would have explored otherwise. He says this.

"Red- and blue shifts in electromagnetic physics to think about the Flash, investigated deep sea biology in the Mariana trench to create the world of Aquaman and read the Greek historian Diodorus of Sicily's account of the war between Amazon and Atlantis to better understand Wonder Woman. If you told me the most rigorous dramaturgical and intellectual product of my life would be superhero movies, I would have said you were crazy."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I hope the Flash movie is full of Flash Facts.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Honest Thief posted:

Care about stuff you like. There are good comics.

comics will break your fuckin heart

AccountSupervisor posted:

At the very least, DC seems to be pretty confident in their CU and Im very much on board with this approach.

http://movieweb.com/aquaman-flash-justice-league-movie-story/

Also loved this

sounded like the next movie was Aquaman and The Flash, full title, and i got strangely hype

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Luminous Obscurity posted:

blade and man of steel are def the two best comic book movies

Dredd is definitely better than either of those.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

sounded like the next movie was Aquaman and The Flash, full title, and i got strangely hype

Buddy Crossovers are a sorely underrepresented cornerstone of the superhero genre outside of comics

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mr. stefan posted:

Buddy Crossovers are a sorely underrepresented cornerstone of the superhero genre outside of comics

We'll see how Thor 3 does it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

I would pay any amount of money to see Blue Beetle and Booster Gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Is this the place to discuss the new civil war trailer? Cause holy crap does the voice for spiderman completely fail on all levels in it. I felt like I was flashing back to 1970s spiderman.

• Locked thread