Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Xenomrph posted:

I'm a big fan of the ridged head design from 'Aliens', but the monster suit that ADI did for 'Alien3' is amazing and I really like that design, too.

NECA did a *huge* figure of the Alien3 design recently and it's goddamn amazing. If you're a fan of the Alien3 design, you owe it to yourself to pick this thing up.

So Shmorky is doing toy reviews now??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Baronjutter posted:

So Shmorky is doing toy reviews now??
This joke is flying right over my head - was Shmorky the guy who animated some of the old SA flash cartoons on the front page ("how is babby formed", etc)?

Tenzarin posted:

Your picture is so small I cant even tell what movie it is from.

It's AvP.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Xenomrph posted:

This joke is flying right over my head - was Shmorky the guy who animated some of the old SA flash cartoons on the front page ("how is babby formed", etc)?

We were robbed of future Jefferson Brother videos.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Xenomrph posted:

It's AvP.

Shmorky's descent into madness included speaking in a higher and higher pitch nerd-voice as he became a klerf.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Baronjutter posted:

Shmorky's descent into madness included speaking in a higher and higher pitch nerd-voice as he became a klerf.
Oh okay, I didn't even know he became a crazy person.

I linked to Pixel Dan's video review because as far as toy reviewers go, he's pretty inoffensive. He does a good job of showing what figures are like without checking off the bingo card of bad poo poo you see from many other review videos.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

It's AvP.

AvP:R to be specific - they tried bringing back the head ridges in that one, and I don't know what else they did, but the xenos look more... "meaty?"...in that movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

lizardman posted:

AvP:R to be specific - they tried bringing back the head ridges in that one, and I don't know what else they did, but the xenos look more... "meaty?"...in that movie.

You're right, I'm phone posting so I didn't see the head ridges.

The AvPR suits are the same as the AvP suits aside from the head and neck (and the AvP suits are the same as the ones from Resurrection, from the knees up).

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I know that's the official story, but I swear the aliens look different in Requiem. Can't quite put my finger on it. Like they have these thick-rear end necks and bigger teeth/jaws. Maybe it's just cause the ridged heads streamline the head (the ridged heads are actually regular heads with the smooth dome removed) that was already more streamlined in the Resurrection redesign and it makes everything else look bigger in comparison, but the aliens' heads seem more serpent-like and their mouths take up more of their face.

They definitely look menacing in Requiem but they come off much more 'generic monster'.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Well yeah, that's what I said :v: The AvPR suits had a different head and neck, but the rest is the same as the AvP design.

The AvPR design looks goofy in the movie, but if you look at models or it or properly lit photos, it looks a lot better.
It doesn't hold a candle to anything from the first three Alien movies, but AvPR doesn't do the design any favors.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

As I recall another issue with AVP aliens was that their tail length varied by the needs of the plot.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

Well yeah, that's what I said :v: The AvPR suits had a different head and neck, but the rest is the same as the AvP design.

Haha, somehow I missed you saying 'neck' and with the head was thinking you were merely referring to the ridges.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

As I recall another issue with AVP aliens was that their tail length varied by the needs of the plot.

Case in point, when the Chopper Predator gets speared through the back and lifted into the air, the Alien's tail, like, triples in length.
McFarlane Toys did a little diorama of that exact moment, it really highlights how insanely long the tail is in that shot. I'm phone posting, so I'll link pics when I get home.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Wow:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maybe it was bending its butt to the side too!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yep, that's the one. :suicide:

I imagine the shot was trying to coast by on the Rule of Cool, where the thought of an Alien spearing and lifting a Predator is JUST SO BADASS that the audience overlooks the logistics of it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe it was bending its butt to the side too!
Eschergigers!

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

Yep, that's the one. :suicide:

I imagine the shot was trying to coast by on the Rule of Cool, where the thought of an Alien spearing and lifting a Predator is JUST SO BADASS that the audience overlooks the logistics of it.

It would kind of have to be, becasue they conspicuously don't have a shot in that sequence that lets you see how long the tail would have to be to do that.

I think it's one of those scenes that's easy to write in the script without thinking too hard, like, "and then the Alien STABS and LIFTS the Predator with its tail to look at it face to face!" and the production just has to do what they can to put the script to screen.

(Unless, of course, the director decides to cut or change the sequence, but who does that?!)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Yup that scene totally ignores how long the tall is. Made sense for the queen being like 5x larger. Also the diorama is alittle off, the alien was in a hole on a wall and not a pillar.

I didn't mind the different alien in AVP:R, they were a different breed because they were from a predalien. Ignore the other 3 that come from facehuggers, lol.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The aliens in AVP R look like inbred aliens. Dumb and bad looking, and completely useless.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CelticPredator posted:

The aliens in AVP R look like inbred aliens. Dumb and bad looking, and completely useless.

Didn't they land in middle america? Don't the aliens take on traits of the host?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They landed in Gunnison, Colorado.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Given that they just walk around slowly without using surroundings and generally just let themselves get shot and blown up, it's not only looks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I know it's dumb fan stuff, but when I watch a Vs movie, I want both sides to have their moments.

I never felt the Aliens got one in that movie. The predalien sucked.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

I know it's dumb fan stuff, but when I watch a Vs movie, I want both sides to have their moments.

I never felt the Aliens got one in that movie. The predalien sucked.

They had AvP, predator has AvP:R.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah I figured that was the point, like how if Jason vs. Freddy got a sequel Freddy would have won at the end instead of Jason.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah I figured that was the point, like how if Jason vs. Freddy got a sequel Freddy would have won at the end instead of Jason.
But Jason didn't win at the end of FvJ, neither of them truly did. That's what made the ending so perfect (and part of why it's a better "versus" movie than AvP).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Freddy is of course not dead, but the film ends with Jason walking away from the camera with Freddy's decapitated head in his hand. It's definitive.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Jason totally got more kills making him the winner.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

Freddy is of course not dead, but the film ends with Jason walking away from the camera with Freddy's decapitated head in his hand. It's definitive.

Jason has just been dreaming since toxic waste turned him into a sleeping child in Manhattan. Freddy is in total control

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jason was deffo the big dick alpha and Freddy the beta who cries himself to sleep at night in JvF

Place your bets

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

Freddy literally winks at the camera and laughs as the movie ends.

A refresher:

http://youtu.be/rf6iHwKJrrk

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 13, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just make the battle scenes fun and fair that both creatures get to do their thing.

Make sure that the rubber suit fighting is peppered in though. Too much is bad, I don't care what anyone says.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Jason was deffo the big dick alpha and Freddy the beta who cries himself to sleep at night in JvF

Place your bets

Same.

Xenomrph posted:

A refresher:

This is how we know he's not dead and to get us excited for a sequel that never materialized.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wasn't there a draft that had Freddy and Jason throwing down in hell at the very end, and suddenly Pinhead appears as the referee?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

A refresher:

This is called a sequel hook. It has no bearing on the narrative of the rest of the story. Just as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2EUkkX16Lk does not suddenly throw the heroes' victory in that film into question.

Jason "wins" FvJ because Freddy is the villain of the movie whose plans are thwarted when the protagonists align themselves with Jason, who is treated in the movie as an innocent but extremely deadly force of nature.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Timby posted:

Wasn't there a draft that had Freddy and Jason throwing down in hell at the very end, and suddenly Pinhead appears as the referee?

One of the early drafts was supposed to have Pinhead rise out of Crystal Lake during their climactic fight and asking "Gentlemen, what seems to be the problem?" before taking them both back to Hell. Would have been a cool cameo for still-young-enough-to-play-the-role Doug Bradley (certainly better than the sequels in the Hellraiser francise he's been doing) but they couldn't get the rights to the character.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

lizardman posted:

This is called a sequel hook. It has no bearing on the narrative of the rest of the story. Just as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2EUkkX16Lk does not suddenly throw the heroes' victory in that film into question.

Jason "wins" FvJ because Freddy is the villain of the movie whose plans are thwarted when the protagonists align themselves with Jason, who is treated in the movie as an innocent but extremely deadly force of nature.

The last scene of FvJ was very, very ambiguous, as it had a hazy, dreamlike quality to it (complete with a ton of fog), along with Jason being completely put back together again after being de-limbed, etc. by Freddy. It was basically just an ambiguous hook.

As you said though, as far as the actual -movie-, Freddy beat Jason in the dream world, and like twice in the real world, but due to the protagonist's constant interference, Jason was finally able to kill him at the end since Freddy was the antagonist of the film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Freddy and Jason are both basically immortal, so the fact that Freddy isn't actually dead at the end of the movie means nothing. The whole plan was Freddy's, and the protagonists manage to thwart his plan by turning Jason against him. Freddy lost.

Edit: exactly what lizardman said

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Darko posted:

The last scene of FvJ was very, very ambiguous, as it had a hazy, dreamlike quality to it (complete with a ton of fog), along with Jason being completely put back together again after being de-limbed, etc. by Freddy. It was basically just an ambiguous hook.

As you said though, as far as the actual -movie-, Freddy beat Jason in the dream world, and like twice in the real world, but due to the protagonist's constant interference, Jason was finally able to kill him at the end since Freddy was the antagonist of the film.

You're absolutely right about FvJ's last scene being ambiguous and dreamlike. It's possible it doesn't even "really" happen at all. (Though I don't think Jason was de-limbed aside from some of his fingerjoints. Freddy was the one who had his arm ripped off). It's a sequence meant to put a cap on the movie, give Freddy a consolation of sorts, give Jason his 'victory lap', and create excitement and anticipation for a possible sequel.

I wonder if people would still think the scene muddles whether there was a "winner" if it were placed after the credits.

Your second sentence reads a bit like "and Freddy would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!" Maybe he would have! But what happened happened and he didn't. (Also, I don't know if I would take the events of a crossover VS movie so definitively, like "obviously he did well on his enemy's home turf, so this means he would have won, etc." The movie is obviously going to create suspense and try to portray a more balanced fight regardless of strict sense.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

lizardman posted:

You're absolutely right about FvJ's last scene being ambiguous and dreamlike. It's possible it doesn't even "really" happen at all. (Though I don't think Jason was de-limbed aside from some of his fingerjoints. Freddy was the one who had his arm ripped off). It's a sequence meant to put a cap on the movie, give Freddy a consolation of sorts, give Jason his 'victory lap', and create excitement and anticipation for a possible sequel.

I wonder if people would still think the scene muddles whether there was a "winner" if it were placed after the credits.

Your second sentence reads a bit like "and Freddy would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!" Maybe he would have! But what happened happened and he didn't. (Also, I don't know if I would take the events of a crossover VS movie so definitively, like "obviously he did well on his enemy's home turf, so this means he would have won, etc." The movie is obviously going to create suspense and try to portray a more balanced fight regardless of strict sense.)

My last part was referring to, since Freddy was the clear villain, he got multiple "wins" over Jason in the climax, and it took the protagonists + Jason to really "defeat" him.

If anything, Freddy got a far better showing in that movie since, one on one, he beat Jason around 3 different times in the real world and dream worlds. The advantage of being the villain, I guess.