Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Ixian posted:

I don't even like the 5X that much, only because the 6p is a better phone, but 199 USD free and clear plus Fi is the best deal in cell phones + service you can get in the US right now, in my opinion.

I am hoping this is going to be the case! Hopping on coming from unlimited data on T-Mobile, since it looks like the most data I've used in the last year is .9 gigs one month. I do stream music, so I went with 3GB and will see how that goes. I use my phone to listen to music on my commute, but lately I've just been downloading a few of my playlists at home, then playing them offline on the drive, so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Since getting on Fi I've made it a habit of caching music, especially given the financial advantage of doing so. Play Music makes it pretty easy which helps.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

surc posted:

I am hoping this is going to be the case! Hopping on coming from unlimited data on T-Mobile, since it looks like the most data I've used in the last year is .9 gigs one month. I do stream music, so I went with 3GB and will see how that goes. I use my phone to listen to music on my commute, but lately I've just been downloading a few of my playlists at home, then playing them offline on the drive, so :shrug:

If you are already on T-Mobile then you've really got nowhere to go but up with Fi. And chances are whatever phone you have with them isn't as good as the 5x, unless you already own a 6p or one of the better Sonys. Unless you are a Samsung fan in which case stock Marshmallow may take some getting used to. I personally can't stand them no matter how good (or bad) their hardware may be at any given time so in my book the 6p is tops, though it certainly isn't the sales leader.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So I have a 4 year old smartphone, no contract, I pay per month on T-mobile with the nerd plan. How hard is it switching to the 5X with this deal? Normally you would just switch the SIM card but this phone uses a different card, right?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
If you sign up for Fi and order the 5X, you get the phone and the Fi SIM in the mail together. Pop the new SIM in and you're set to go.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you're trying to get the phone on the cheap while keeping T-Mobile, you'll need to go to a T-Mobile store and get a new SIM. Should be free if it's a corporate store.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My plan was to switch to Fi; smartphones are still fairly new to me so what info is on the SIM card? Do I just call up Google when I get the phone and say I want to transfer my number?

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot

Ixian posted:

I don't even like the 5X that much, only because the 6p is a better phone, but 199 USD free and clear plus Fi is the best deal in cell phones + service you can get in the US right now, in my opinion.

Hopefully it is a good deal, I just placed my order yesterday. Because I was getting a surprise $150 off, I sprung for 2-day shipping, so my phone should come by tomorrow.

How does the Nexus 5X compare to the Nexus 5? I loved my Nexus 5, it died after two years of abuse and taking a dip into a cupholder full of water. Currently running a friend's old nexus 4, looking forward to the update regardless...

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Kaleidoscopic Gaze posted:

Hopefully it is a good deal, I just placed my order yesterday. Because I was getting a surprise $150 off, I sprung for 2-day shipping, so my phone should come by tomorrow.

How does the Nexus 5X compare to the Nexus 5? I loved my Nexus 5, it died after two years of abuse and taking a dip into a cupholder full of water. Currently running a friend's old nexus 4, looking forward to the update regardless...

I had the N5. It's better than the N5. Better camera, better screen, better battery for the most part. I just like the 6p a lot more even if you take the larger screen size out of it (I like the bigger screen but I know not everyone does). The hardware is better and it's built really well. But the 5x is still a good phone, and at this price it's about the best deal in phones there is right now. It's a step up from the N5 and at this price it's finally the true successor to it in my mind.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The following question isn't Fi related, nor is it even really an Android phone question, so if there's a better place to ask please just tell me to stfu and point me there.

I've given songs on Google Play Music radio 'thumbs up'. I cannot locate a history of what I thumbs up'd. How do I buy albums from those artists that were included in the radio channel but which I don't recall the names? Surely Google is tracking this so I can buy this stuff.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

There is an entire list of songs that you rated a thumbs up. It's an auto playlist.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'm kinda pissed off I bought a $700 phone now, also I missed out on grandfathering harbor mobile unlimited data.

I guess I'll get the next nexus and FI pending reviews/sales.

Posted from unlocked, developer rooted htc one m8.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Ixian posted:

If you are already on T-Mobile then you've really got nowhere to go but up with Fi. And chances are whatever phone you have with them isn't as good as the 5x, unless you already own a 6p or one of the better Sonys. Unless you are a Samsung fan in which case stock Marshmallow may take some getting used to. I personally can't stand them no matter how good (or bad) their hardware may be at any given time so in my book the 6p is tops, though it certainly isn't the sales leader.

I'm using a Nexus 4 with a severely hosed-up back that is reaching the end of its life, so I am excited for the 5X (and am also not a fan of samsung, hate that UI). Also that was basically my thoughts with FI. If it's T-mobile + more coverage... seems good. I will probably be disabling the whole "use any open wifi network" because ew, but I should still have better coverage, and be paying less.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My plan was to switch to Fi; smartphones are still fairly new to me so what info is on the SIM card? Do I just call up Google when I get the phone and say I want to transfer my number?

You probably won't need to call google at all. They'll have it setup and ready based on you signing up. Just pop in the sim and let it setup to port your number.

You WILL have to call your old carrier to tell them you're cancelling. Some do it automatically when your number is ported, but if you still have other phones on the account, etc... It won't hurt to confirm.

There's not much left on SIM cards. Feature phones will sometimes store contacts, but honestly you should get away from that unless you think you'll be going back to one at some point. I've let Google Contacts keep my contacts for like 8 years now and it's cross platform.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
For those of you using Fi but not living entirely in a city/metropolitan area, how reliable has the service been? I'm on Verizon and the reason I stick with them is because their service works pretty much everywhere I go, even in the backwoods of New Hampshire when I vacation up there. Literally the only place I haven't had service was along a stretch in the mountains where nothing works.

I don't expect Fi to be AS good as Verizon, but is it usable at all once you leave a populated area?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

xwing posted:

You WILL have to call your old carrier to tell them you're cancelling. Some do it automatically when your number is ported, but if you still have other phones on the account, etc... It won't hurt to confirm.

To be clear, this advice is to call after the port is completed and successful to verify everything is taken care of with your previous carrier. The porting process will automatically cancel out that line.

Many people have made the mistake of canceling one before setting up the next and their number is gone as soon as the cancellation goes through with little recourse to get it back. So, finish the port before calling the previous carrier over anything.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Takoluka posted:

There is an entire list of songs that you rated a thumbs up. It's an auto playlist.

Found it thank you

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot

surc posted:

I'm using a Nexus 4 with a severely hosed-up back that is reaching the end of its life, so I am excited for the 5X (and am also not a fan of samsung, hate that UI). Also that was basically my thoughts with FI. If it's T-mobile + more coverage... seems good. I will probably be disabling the whole "use any open wifi network" because ew, but I should still have better coverage, and be paying less.

Upgrade buddy! I'm moving up from a hosed up Nexus 4 on T-mobile as well. It's $10/month more, but having an additional network to choose from sounds awesome.

Does Fi's network switching take only speed into account, or QOS (latency, dropped packets) as well?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Upgrade buddy! I'm moving up from a hosed up Nexus 4 on T-mobile as well. It's $10/month more, but having an additional network to choose from sounds awesome.

Does Fi's network switching take only speed into account, or QOS (latency, dropped packets) as well?

It seems to mostly take signal strength into account. When I was in a convention center for PAX South, the T-Mobile connection was stronger so my phone tried to use it primarily but it was horribly lagged out and basically unusable because of all the other nerds also using their phones. Using the Signal Spy app with its dialer codes allowed me to force it over to Sprint which worked a lot better despite not having as many bars.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

surc posted:

it encrypts your data when you're on open wifi ;-)

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Darkpriest667 posted:

Open WiFi is one of Fi's better features, fully encrypted and automatic. However the number of truly open hotspots is not as large as you'd think, and Fi's preference for connecting to them over mobile has occasionally backfired as the open hotspots it finds are not always the fastest around. I think they are working on an internal list of "good" ones, especially in major cities. I know in the Bay Area when I travel there I always seem to hit one or two.

That said flat out disabling it isn't something I'd recommend on Fi, it's safe and the pros have outweighed the cons for me so far.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
A 'good' list of open wifi will never be perfect because it's fluid. Google has no control of when a wifi network has changes made to it. It's just a best effort thing.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
The Fi 5X is a great deal. My wife and I decided to switch her over to Fi from Verizon a week and a half ago, and she signed up on Monday after getting the invite. We were prepared to pay the normal price and didn't even realize there was a new discount until halfway through. Sure got lucky this time.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Takoluka posted:

$199 is a fantastic price for the 5X.

I got Fi 2 months ago and spent $400 with them for the 5X, lump sum.

I asked them if they could hook a brother up with a little love over the massive price difference, and they credited me $20. Still sucks but better than nothing, I guess.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

GORDON posted:

I got Fi 2 months ago and spent $400 with them for the 5X, lump sum.

I asked them if they could hook a brother up with a little love over the massive price difference, and they credited me $20. Still sucks but better than nothing, I guess.

Did you buy with your credit card? Most have price protection around 90 days or so.

The Drifter
Apr 21, 2006
FYI - Google is having a promotion right now for $50 off the 6p. I just ordered my device (through Fi) about two weeks ago. I called support and they were able to credit my account, so its worth a shot if you recently purchased one.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

Did you buy with your credit card? Most have price protection around 90 days or so.

Hmm, I may need to look into this since my wife's 5X and Fi service aren't even 30 days old yet.

And it looks like I'm getting my own 5X after my next paycheck comes in! :getin:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The Drifter posted:

FYI - Google is having a promotion right now for $50 off the 6p. I just ordered my device (through Fi) about two weeks ago. I called support and they were able to credit my account, so its worth a shot if you recently purchased one.

Thanks, just got my 6p in the mail yesterday. Asking for a price match now.

e: They matched. The agents aren't aware of the promotion (yet) so you may have to direct them to the fi device add page or the google store, but they will give you a bill credit.

No Butt Stuff fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 11, 2016

surc
Aug 17, 2004

:hfive: My N5X is activating right now, super pumped!

Darkpriest667 posted:

Ixian posted:

Open WiFi is one of Fi's better features, fully encrypted and automatic. However the number of truly open hotspots is not as large as you'd think, and Fi's preference for connecting to them over mobile has occasionally backfired as the open hotspots it finds are not always the fastest around. I think they are working on an internal list of "good" ones, especially in major cities. I know in the Bay Area when I travel there I always seem to hit one or two.

That said flat out disabling it isn't something I'd recommend on Fi, it's safe and the pros have outweighed the cons for me so far.

I know it's silly of me in this day of technology, but I just get antsy with the concept of sending potentially sensitive data out over whatever random public connection is out there. Tech companies mess up security measures all the time, google has done it several times I can think of off the top of my head. If I notice I'm having terrible service, I might try turning it on, otherwise, I'll probably leave it disabled. :shrug:

E: Well, that was a pretty quick and easy activation. Sat on the activating... screen for a few minutes, then had my number working within 3 minutes of letting me into the android OS.

surc fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 12, 2016

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Drifter posted:

Got ours in October. No dice. Worth a shot though.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

surc posted:

I know it's silly of me in this day of technology, but I just get antsy with the concept of sending potentially sensitive data out over whatever random public connection is out there. Tech companies mess up security measures all the time, google has done it several times I can think of off the top of my head. If I notice I'm having terrible service, I might try turning it on, otherwise, I'll probably leave it disabled. :shrug:

If you connect to one of Fi's hotspots, it automatically encrypts the data, I believe.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Yes it does. It also happens barely ever in my life experience. I picked up some VPN service to make use of passworded/open hotspots with capture portals for this reason.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A friend was just telling me about this. I really wish I could switch over to Project Fi today. I am on Sprint though with a Samsung Galaxy S5 that I have to pay for until December. :negative:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Well I just spent around 550 dollars on Amazon buying a 64 GB Nexus 6P, a case, screen protectors, and three extra charging cables. That's an awful lot of money to me, so I hope Fi is really awesome. I'm on Ting now with a Galaxy Note 2, so it'll definitely be an upgrade.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Really important question, so bear with me while I give a bit of background info.

I need a new phone fast, but it needs to meet some often-overlooked requirements.
My vocal chords are partially paralyzed and my diaphragm is slightly weakened, so the most mics and phones make my voice sound like the regrettable lovechild of Gollum and Darth Vader. I'm struggling with a barely-clinging-to-life Droid Razer right now, and my voice comes out sounding like modulated static played onba phonograph. I used to used an iPhone 4S, and that worked pretty well until the hardware started failing. I'm flying up to Redmond (I live in New Mexico) for an "Ability Summit" (think career fair) where Microsoft and a few other tech giants are looking to hire people with disabilities. I obviously can't be reliant on a nonfunctioning phone during this time, so this is why my questions to you are so critical.

I'm looking at signing up for Fi and getting either the 5X or 6P, but I'm wondering if a few of the upgrades in the 6P justify the extra cost. (especially since the 5X is $199 right now)
My eyeballs are defective, and I'm legally blind in one eye. How much better is the 5.7" 2560x1440 6P vs 5.2" 1440x1080 5X?
The 6P has 3 microphones (2 front, 1 rear) with noise cancellation vs 3 microphones (1 front, 1 top, 1 bottom) with no noise cancelling on the 5X. I would think the 2 fronts mics would help with picking up my voice, does anyone have any impressions/advice on this?
I need a sturdy phone as I can't always gently set it down. Is the aluminium housing on the 6P really that much sturdier than the polycarbonate on the 5X?

The 6P is obviously the better phone, but I can live without the faster processor and more RAM. The things I can't afford to compromise on are voice quality, screen clarity, and durability. I'm having a hard time justifying the $300 price difference, but I will if it will truly make a difference.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Valicious posted:

Really important question, so bear with me while I give a bit of background info.

I need a new phone fast, but it needs to meet some often-overlooked requirements.
My vocal chords are partially paralyzed and my diaphragm is slightly weakened, so the most mics and phones make my voice sound like the regrettable lovechild of Gollum and Darth Vader. I'm struggling with a barely-clinging-to-life Droid Razer right now, and my voice comes out sounding like modulated static played onba phonograph. I used to used an iPhone 4S, and that worked pretty well until the hardware started failing. I'm flying up to Redmond (I live in New Mexico) for an "Ability Summit" (think career fair) where Microsoft and a few other tech giants are looking to hire people with disabilities. I obviously can't be reliant on a nonfunctioning phone during this time, so this is why my questions to you are so critical.

I'm looking at signing up for Fi and getting either the 5X or 6P, but I'm wondering if a few of the upgrades in the 6P justify the extra cost. (especially since the 5X is $199 right now)
My eyeballs are defective, and I'm legally blind in one eye. How much better is the 5.7" 2560x1440 6P vs 5.2" 1440x1080 5X?
The 6P has 3 microphones (2 front, 1 rear) with noise cancellation vs 3 microphones (1 front, 1 top, 1 bottom) with no noise cancelling on the 5X. I would think the 2 fronts mics would help with picking up my voice, does anyone have any impressions/advice on this?
I need a sturdy phone as I can't always gently set it down. Is the aluminium housing on the 6P really that much sturdier than the polycarbonate on the 5X?

The 6P is obviously the better phone, but I can live without the faster processor and more RAM. The things I can't afford to compromise on are voice quality, screen clarity, and durability. I'm having a hard time justifying the $300 price difference, but I will if it will truly make a difference.

Well the mics definitely are superior. The thing about the 2560 x 1440 6P is it's 5.7 inches so that makes it a much more desirable phone for someone in your position. I imagine the ability to see what's on the screen is very important to you. I'm not sure. I wish you lived close to someone who owns one or both phones. I own both. I like the 6P better, but maybe I am being snobby. Perhaps someone with more expertise in the microphones will be more helpful.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Gilok posted:

Well I just spent around 550 dollars on Amazon buying a 64 GB Nexus 6P, a case, screen protectors, and three extra charging cables. That's an awful lot of money to me, so I hope Fi is really awesome. I'm on Ting now with a Galaxy Note 2, so it'll definitely be an upgrade.

On the plus side, if it sucks, you can take your phone to any carrier you'd like!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I tried to call Google to see if they could price-match my wife's 5X which she bought from the Play Store less than a month ago for $350. Apparently you can't get anything back if you bought the phone more than 15 days ago. Oh well. :(

Still planning on getting my own 5X this Friday when I get paid. :woop:

Edit: I had a little more money than I thought so I went ahead and ordered my 5X and Fi service today. :getin:

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 14, 2016

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
Really, really stoked on Project Fi for traveling. I just did some traveling in Asia it worked pretty well, sometimes Fi will struggle to find a network and you have to do it manually but having LTE everywhere is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Casual Yogurt posted:

Really, really stoked on Project Fi for traveling. I just did some traveling in Asia it worked pretty well, sometimes Fi will struggle to find a network and you have to do it manually but having LTE everywhere is awesome.

It was LTE speed, not paltry 3G, at ye olde $10/gig? That beats t-mobiles free offering (they charge ridiculous roaming data charges if want LTE overseas).