Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

dj_clawson posted:

Something that didn't require a licensing agreement with a real liquor company. Just like Matt's vague German beer.

Apparently the reason Jessica Jones looked so goddamned cheap was because the show runner spent about a quarter of the budget licensing Wild Turkey for half the episodes only to have it replaced with a fake replica brand when the studio put a stop to it. By then though the damage was done and she won't be show running season two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What's the difference between paying for a product placement and being paid for a licensing agreement?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lawyers, and who has the better ones.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

PriorMarcus posted:

Apparently the reason Jessica Jones looked so goddamned cheap was because the show runner spent about a quarter of the budget licensing Wild Turkey for half the episodes only to have it replaced with a fake replica brand when the studio put a stop to it. By then though the damage was done and she won't be show running season two.

Hahahahahahahha seriously?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Melissa Rosenberg isn't coming back?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

counterfeitsaint posted:

What's the difference between paying for a product placement and being paid for a licensing agreement?

There's a fun story about this, back in the day licensing agreements were the norm and product placement was unheard of. At the time Spielberg was running around trying to get his new ET movie off the ground, went to Mars Inc. and said "Hey we want to use M&M's as a big part of the movie, a way for the child and alien to bond." Mars said "Great, give us $25k and you can do what you want." Spielberg leaves to try and work some extra money out of his investors. Hershey, being direct competitors and former business partners of Mars, get wind of this and arrange a meeting with Spielberg. They tell him "Hey, we have this brand new product that looks just like M&M's that's having trouble finding its footing. You can put it in your movie for free, and if you have the alien say our name we'll give you $15k."

And thus was modern product placement born by those assholes at Hershey.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
goons: the most gullible creatures

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

goons: the most gullible creatures

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess I was addled by the idea that JJ looked cheap.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

I guess I was addled by the idea that JJ looked cheap.

I was addled cause it was PriorMarcus. That was top work, well done.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There's a fun story about this, back in the day licensing agreements were the norm and product placement was unheard of. At the time Spielberg was running around trying to get his new ET movie off the ground, went to Mars Inc. and said "Hey we want to use M&M's as a big part of the movie, a way for the child and alien to bond." Mars said "Great, give us $25k and you can do what you want." Spielberg leaves to try and work some extra money out of his investors. Hershey, being direct competitors and former business partners of Mars, get wind of this and arrange a meeting with Spielberg. They tell him "Hey, we have this brand new product that looks just like M&M's that's having trouble finding its footing. You can put it in your movie for free, and if you have the alien say our name we'll give you $15k."

And thus was modern product placement born by those assholes at Hershey.

How the hell did companies convince Hollywood that they had to get paid if their product was shown on a screen?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

They had the lawyers and loved sending overly broad cease and desists for using their trademark without authorization, is my guess.

We could probably look it up though. IP law is pretty interesting imho.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Seconding the notion that Daredevil holds up really well after a re-watch. In some ways, it gets better because I'm able to pick up on things and connect dots that I missed the first time, sort of like The Wire but not nearly as deep. I can see how some people think it was slow but, to me, that's part of the effectiveness of it.

The biggest mistake they made was killing off Ben so soon. His character was really great and I thought he could have lent more in season 2 as Matt's confidant. Is Bullseye confirmed for Season 2? He seems to be the only one missing so far. Pissed that Kingpin won't have more screen time.

Looks like they tweaked the costume a bit too which is good because the reveal in season one was pretty underwhelming and more than a little bit goofy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I haven't heard one official word about Bullseye.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

HIJK posted:

It's a character from the comics called Stone or Granite or Diamond or something else equally unimaginative. Also there was a comic book panel to go with it that the show copied.

The ones from the comics were Stick, Stone, Shaft, and Claw. Stone is the coolest :colbert:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The ones from the comics were Stick, Stone, Shaft, and Claw. Stone is the coolest :colbert:

Not to be confused with the spider man villains, Styx and Stone.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I was hoping Wesley was somehow Bullseye when I watched, but welp!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

I was hoping Wesley was somehow Bullseye when I watched, but welp!

People say, and I can't remember if this comes from anyone official or speculation or what, but that the sniper that shot those cops to frame DD was Bullseye.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I mean, there's no way to prove it wasn't him. But I think you only see a shadowy figure set up a gun and that's it. No detail.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Wasn't there something with the dudes backpack or something that was a hint at Bullseye? I can't remember now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

Wasn't there something with the dudes backpack or something that was a hint at Bullseye? I can't remember now.

Ace of Spades.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Good lord, if you think people are getting angry about Iron Fist now, they're gonna go loving nuclear if the show has Literally Fu Manchu in it.

Apparently Fu Manchu isn't public domain yet and Marvel lost their licence deal on the character a while back which has prevented them from reprinting a whole bunch of comics, so unless they've signed a new deal with the Sax Rohmer Estate we probably won't see him anytime soon. I guess they could always swap in The Yellow Claw!
Alan Moore wrote Fu Manchu into the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics but was very careful never to actually use his name.

Edit: apparently Marvel used the character recently but he'd changed his name to Zheng Zu.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 10, 2016

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

zoux posted:

People say, and I can't remember if this comes from anyone official or speculation or what, but that the sniper that shot those cops to frame DD was Bullseye.

He wasn't, but he will be when they retcon it later.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

PerniciousKnid posted:

He wasn't, but he will be when they retcon it later.

they put a very clear hint that he was bullseye in his scene

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

PriorMarcus posted:

Did Jessica Jones get good? I stopped after 5 episodes, it just wasn't grabbing me the way Daredevil did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

jet sanchEz posted:

Did Jessica Jones get good? I stopped after 5 episodes, it just wasn't grabbing me the way Daredevil did.

If you didn't like the first five, don't bother.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

jet sanchEz posted:

It got pretty good, but Simpson's (the police officer) storyline is a tangent in an otherwise tight storyline.

But I am a big David Tennant fan, so I enjoyed every scene he was in.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

jet sanchEz posted:

There's a tactical realism joke in here somewhere.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Slowpoke! posted:

It got pretty good, but Simpson's (the police officer) storyline is a tangent in an otherwise tight storyline.

Ehhhh, no, his character - like many characters in the show - is a foil for JJ. In his case illustrating the distinction between JJ's avoidance of murder and the utilitarian mindset of Simpson. He has plenty to do with the plot as well.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I think the thing about JJ is that the main Jessica vs. Killgrave plot is so overwhelmingly urgent and compelling that any time spent elsewhere feels like it's wasting your time. Even if the other stuff is good, with thematic or eventual plot relevance, while you're learning about Simpson or the twins or whatever you have this voice in the back of your head saying "who cares about this, what about Killgrave, he's still out there and he's scary, oh god oh god". This is behind the oft-voiced complaint that the season is a few episodes too long and motivates a lot of the Simpson-was-right brigade. I'd speculate that this is came about largely due to David Tennant's performance, and that at some earlier stage of production Killgrave wasn't quite so prominent, only one story thread among many, like in the comic.

This is both a strength and a weakness, in that the central conflict is incredibly engaging, but it leaves the whole show kind of unbalanced. The season might have been better if it was either a like a 6 episode miniseries just about Killgrave, or if the 13 episodes made room for more disconnected cases-of-the-week, moving to concentrate on Killgrave in the back half or so.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I forgot -- did we ever see Leland's son in Daredevil Season 1, or just hear about him?

Because I imagine he'll be introduced as The Owl eventually, and there's a perfect actor to play him who looks a lot like Alex Maleev's version from the comics: Louis C.K.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I forgot -- did we ever see Leland's son in Daredevil Season 1, or just hear about him?

Because I imagine he'll be introduced as The Owl eventually, and there's a perfect actor to play him who looks a lot like Alex Maleev's version from the comics: Louis C.K.

Never saw him, but mentioned at least twice.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I think the thing about JJ is that the main Jessica vs. Killgrave plot is so overwhelmingly urgent and compelling that any time spent elsewhere feels like it's wasting your time. Even if the other stuff is good, with thematic or eventual plot relevance, while you're learning about Simpson or the twins or whatever you have this voice in the back of your head saying "who cares about this, what about Killgrave, he's still out there and he's scary, oh god oh god". This is behind the oft-voiced complaint that the season is a few episodes too long and motivates a lot of the Simpson-was-right brigade. I'd speculate that this is came about largely due to David Tennant's performance, and that at some earlier stage of production Killgrave wasn't quite so prominent, only one story thread among many, like in the comic.

This is both a strength and a weakness, in that the central conflict is incredibly engaging, but it leaves the whole show kind of unbalanced. The season might have been better if it was either a like a 6 episode miniseries just about Killgrave, or if the 13 episodes made room for more disconnected cases-of-the-week, moving to concentrate on Killgrave in the back half or so.

It's "Kilgrave." :)

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

It's "Kilgrave." :)

Why? Was "Murder Corpse" already taken?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

notthegoatseguy posted:

Never saw him, but mentioned at least twice.

Yeah I think Leland talks to "Lee" on the phone and tells him not to come to New York (episode 7 or 8 I think).

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheMaestroso posted:

Ehhhh, no, his character - like many characters in the show - is a foil for JJ. In his case illustrating the distinction between JJ's avoidance of murder and the utilitarian mindset of Simpson. He has plenty to do with the plot as well.

Oh, I agree; just like Robin/Rubin and Jeri's plots, he also represents a different facet of the abuse that underlines the whole show. However, just like the ninja stuff in Daredevil, I think his plot was really derailed by MCU worldbuilding. The IGH crap is better handled in the main storyline, where it's part of JJ coming to understand Kilgrave better, and part of her relationship with Patsy's mom.

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 11, 2016

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Luke Cage drops Sept 30th: http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/mike-colter-announces-luke-cage-premiere-date

:neckbeard:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sweet Christmas! :neckbeard:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hot drat!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So can we assume from his "it'll be lots of action" and previous "it's nothing like the Luke Cage you knew" quote it'll be a grim n' gritty re-imagining in the vein of Daredevil and Jessica Jones? Can we just get one decent superhero show that's actually funny and light? I doubt even Iron Fist will be.