Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

:hfive:

Thank you. I wasn't sure how to even begin responding.

I wasn't sure how you would either since five tweets don't seem to do much to describe the buying motivations behind the 1.2 billion smartphones sold in 2015. Maybe my grasp of statistics is as tenuous as my understanding of common sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I think the point is that "people who buy my used phones off Craigslist" or "people who complain about phones on Twitter" aren't exactly a representative sample for "smart phone users"

Both groups are highly self-selected.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Also its not like someone is going to post on twitter if they don't care about it

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Somebody buy a Google Consumer Survey, it's vitally important to this thread that we find out exactly what percentage of the population cares about micro SD slots.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

https://twitter.com/estebanrules/status/708299862455021568

:lol:

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Seems fair. It's best to restart your phone about once a week.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Daily Forecast posted:

Seems fair. It's best to restart your phone about once a week.

Troll spotted

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Amazing

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Grumpwagon posted:

Troll spotted

Really?

Do you keep your desktop computer or laptop on 24/7? Why would you want to keep what is essentially a portable version of that on 24/7/365?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
drat. I hope they suggest a factory reset every other month too. That's what my brother does for his aging s3.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

Really?

Do you keep your desktop computer or laptop on 24/7? Why would you want to keep what is essentially a portable version of that on 24/7/365?

My MacBook hasn't been restarted since the last OS update. My phone hasn't been restarted since the last OS update. Now, if Samsung were updating their devices every month like they should, they wouldn't need the warning but alas...

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Daily Forecast posted:

Really?

Before Windows 10 and it's constant nagging about rebooting to install updates, my PC would go for months without a restart. I hadn't restarted my N5x since last month's security path until last night. My Chromebook hasn't been rebooted since I don't know when.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Rastor posted:

Somebody buy a Google Consumer Survey, it's vitally important to this thread that we find out exactly what percentage of the population cares about micro SD slots.

If you're trying to argue "everyone who has a phone with X uses X," it would be good to have something more than "the three guys I sold phones to on Craigslist asked if the phone had X" or "you can find someone on the internet that has mentioned liking X" (never mind that when I searched SD card on Twitter I found a bunch of people complaining about broken and faulty cards, haha)

Zom Aur posted:

drat. I hope they suggest a factory reset every other month too. That's what my brother does for his aging s3.

He should probably just swap in a new battery and SD card and that bad boy will be good as new.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I tend to turn my desktop off every night but my old htc one m7 that I hosed up rooting can usually last three or four weeks before suddenly slowing to a crawl. Also at&t's splash screen boot noise is real drat loud.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Holy poo poo can we please talk about something else other than edge cases or "suggested" ways to use a consumer device?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So the Samsung pay charger offer has expired I assume. Was hoping to get in on that today when I got my phone.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

RVProfootballer posted:

He should probably just swap in a new battery and SD card and that bad boy will be good as new.
He says it's mostly because apps get janky and the phone gets slow. I might get him a new phone for his birthday if he hasn't by then, because I'd hate dealing with that thing myself.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Daily Forecast posted:

Really?

Prior to my POS Moto X I had phones on continuously for weeks at a time, and my Windows desktop stays on for months at a time until an update requires a restart.

Rastor posted:

What the gently caress, are people seriously arguing that nobody cares about SD card slots?

Let's type SD card slot into twitter.

...tweets...

Looks to me like people care about SD card slots.

Jesus christ, this thread is dumb.

I have no idea about SD card slots and people's preferences for them, but this is a terrible post.

I mean, yes, this thread is dumb, but this post is definitely not one you can look down upon the thread from.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Prior to my POS Moto X I had phones on continuously for weeks at a time, and my Windows desktop stays on for months at a time until an update requires a restart.

I have no idea about SD card slots and people's preferences for them, but this is a terrible post.

I mean, yes, this thread is dumb, but this post is definitely not one you can look down upon the thread from.

To be fair it's a solid argument just posted poorly. Typing in a sampling of people on twitter bitching about a lack of SD slots makes not for a foundation of truth.

Anyway, why does it matter if the phone suggest you reset? It's not like it forces you to or says you have to. It's been standard practice for a long time unofficially and anecdotally to reboot your phone every once and a while. It's like those video games that suggest you play in moderation - it's not like you nerds listen to that either.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Daily Forecast posted:

And? 'Some' people shouldn't get to dictate that an entire, widely-used feature get removed.
:lol: the vast majority of people could give a flying gently caress about removable batteries and sd card slots. Get the gently caress over it, you're in the minority.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Rastor posted:

I do wonder if this could become another thing that John Legere starts to use in his jabs at AT&T and Verizon.

While I think that would be great, he'd have to do a little fixing on his own end first. I loaded up the built in T-Mobile app on my G4 when I got it and the drat thing pinned persistent notification showing my data use by default. The older version of this app would throw up a notification to remind you to restart every few days, but it seems like they finally removed that.

edit: Did not see this post before posting the above. :lol: indeed.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 11, 2016

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

In other news, android firefox 45 now shows an overflow button regardless of whether you have a menu button on your device or not.
This is to make development a bit easier, and, among other things:

quote:

This is an intentions change. There are devices that seem to be reporting that they have a menu button when they don't, such as the One Plus 2.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Seems like it's time to repost this.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Zotix posted:

So the Samsung pay charger offer has expired I assume. Was hoping to get in on that today when I got my phone.

Yeah, it as limited to 26,000. I got my phone to late to get that as well.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Phuzun posted:

Yeah, it as limited to 26,000. I got my phone to late to get that as well.

Heh I redeemed 3 of the chargers somehow. (not recently)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Doctor Butts posted:

:lol: the vast majority of people could give a flying gently caress about removable batteries and sd card slots. Get the gently caress over it, you're in the minority.

Urrrrrrgh Jesus Christ I hate that I am allowing this dumb thread to trigger my sperg

LastInLine posted:

No one in this thread is dictating anything, market forces and engineering realities do. If people want features, they'll vote for them with their purchases and as it stands right now 45% of smartphone buyers prefer an embedded battery and no SD support or if they don't prefer that, they don't consider them important enough to sway their opinion.

LastInLine posted:

I'm referring to the 45% of smartphone customers who are using iOS. I'm not saying there isn't a market for these things, I'm just saying there is about the same number of people who don't want them or don't care.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
lmao this loving thread.

It's pretty nice owning a phone that lasts 2 days with moderate use so I don't have to have jorts pockets dedicated to batteries or be neurotic enough to carry around a mobile Plex server on my loving phone. The poo poo is wrong with you people?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rastor posted:

this is dumb.

[surveys from people nerdy enough to browse cell phone websites and take the time to take surveys about cell phones]

I agree. Pretty drat dumb.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Quick. Someone link me the removable battery and SD card polls from People magazine and NPR

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I agree. Pretty drat dumb.

What I take from these polls is that large fractions (like 1/3 or more) of the most extreme phone nerds prefer not having an SD card. When you add that to the 90%+ of people less retarded than all of us (i.e. people that don't go to phone websites or forums) that don't care about SD cards at all, you get an overwhelming majority of people siding with Smythe and LastInLine!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Buddy at work got the S7 Edge and this thing is fuckin nice....

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm glad that the Android thread, a discussion forum about a platform that is all about providing options for consumers (screen sizes, removal batteries, SD cards, old OS versions, various hardware gimmicks, etc.), constantly feels the need to argue in absolutes about these options. It makes for very compelling reading.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm glad that the Android thread, a discussion forum about a platform that is all about providing options for consumers (screen sizes, removal batteries, SD cards, old OS versions, various hardware gimmicks, etc.), constantly feels the need to argue in absolutes about these options. It makes for very compelling reading.

I miss you.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Rastor posted:

Urrrrrrgh Jesus Christ I hate that I am allowing this dumb thread to trigger my sperg

AUTISM

You're retarded hth

My S7 Edge is super nice, I like

Now to wait for my VR

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I guarantee its closer to 999:1.

And 90% of the 999 Don't. loving. Care.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Drythe posted:

My S7 Edge is super nice, I like

It is. Finally a well designed Android phone that can actually last as long as my 6S+, but in an even better form factor. The water resistance is a welcome addition as well, I don't have to worry about my 8 mo old baby ruining it when he drools on it near the earpiece/mics/charging port. And yeah, I'll take the mSD card slot as well, I hoard pictures/videos of said baby and I only had to pay $20 for an extra 64GB of storage for that purpose plus being able to have my whole music library on it is nice too so I don't have to janitor my phone.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

ilkhan posted:

I guarantee its closer to 999:1.

And 90% of the 999 Don't. loving. Care.

oh i'm sure, i just pulled some numbers out my arse and stated my opinion as fact

I really wanted to have 69% in there but it would have been way too low [citation needed]

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

ilkhan posted:

That toggle is night mode. Sepia tone so its less blinding in the dark, I guess.

If the Pixel C was about $75 cheaper and an 8" size I'd have bought one to replace my N7. As is, I already have a surface, I don't need two large screen tablets.

But I'm also one of the crazies who put N on my daily usage 6P, so shrug.

I wasn't sure at the time but I looked it up a little and no there is a toggle to invert colors, like black is white and white is black and it's like looking at photo negatives. It's weird as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Does the charger that comes with the S7 Edge support Qualcomm Quick Charge? I understand that Samsung refers to it as Adaptive Fast Charge, but Ampere shows that the phone is charging at between 500 and 900mA. I though Quick Charge was supposed to charge at much higher rates?