Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

doctor 7 posted:

So what should I do then? Just reef on it hoping to hurt them and not get called?

If someone grabs your stick, forcefully jerk it away. If they get hurt, chirp them hard, they deserve it.

The ref is going to see what he sees, they hardly ever see stick holding because they're following the action at the puck. You're on your own.

A while back someone tripped me and I fell with their stick ending up in my crotch (no call of course) and the guy starts yelling at me. So I rolled over towards him and leveraged his stick out of his hands and got up and slashed his stick as he was trying to pick it up. No calls for anything, puck wasn't near us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

xzzy posted:

You could also try keeping your stick on the ice.

If you're jabbing dudes you deserve everything they give back.

Sometimes a stick just ends up in somebodies armpit. Happens all the time. If it happens to me, of course I pinch my arm into my side and see if I get the call. Same thing happens when my stick ends up in someone else's arm pit, they pinch down on it and hope to get the call. Every once in a while you get that golden sell job where they guy grabs your stick with his arm, then you let go of it because the ref sees it, then the other guy starts selling the play like somebody is hooking the poo poo out of him only to look back and see nobody on the other end of the stick and he looks like an rear end in a top hat.

Also to get out of it, if I don't let go of the stick, I just skate in a direction that is awkward/painful for the person holding it so it is in their best interest to let it go. I find that works better and renders a penalty less often than trying to rip it out of their pit with any kind of force.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nitramster posted:

If someone grabs your stick, forcefully jerk it away. If they get hurt, chirp them hard, they deserve it.

The ref is going to see what he sees, they hardly ever see stick holding because they're following the action at the puck. You're on your own.

A while back someone tripped me and I fell with their stick ending up in my crotch (no call of course) and the guy starts yelling at me. So I rolled over towards him and leveraged his stick out of his hands and got up and slashed his stick as he was trying to pick it up. No calls for anything, puck wasn't near us.

Would have been bonus points if you would have snapped it in 2 when you rolled over.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The obvious solution to this problem is to sharpen the top of your blade to a fine edge, that way when they put it into their arm pit, you pull it out and make them bleed.

I doubt they will armpit a stick again.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
That's genius. The consequences are horrifying, but it's genius.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Would have been bonus points if you would have snapped it in 2 when you rolled over.

That was my initial aim, :)

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 10, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nitramstr why are you starting poo poo in aluminum that's why the good officials don't like to officiate your games

Also I'm sort of getting the itch to officiate again only this time adult only.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Just go the extra mile and tape some razor blades to the top of your stick blade.

Then after that graduate to rusty nails.

Next thing you know: you're been called up to Henrik Zetterberg's league.

Muuuuuuu-ti-nyyyyyyyy come out to plaaaaaaa-EEEEEEEE-aaaaaaaaaaaaay

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

sellouts posted:

Nitramstr why are you starting poo poo in aluminum that's why the good officials don't like to officiate your games.

I don't start it I just finish it :colbert:

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Macnult posted:

Is it worth buying a shooting pad/board? I haven't been playing for too long (only stick & pucks and pond hockey) but I'm looking for some ways to practice off-ice.

Yeah absolutely. Rather than dropping $100-200 on a shooting pad though, just go to Home Depot and buy yourself a sheet of melamine board and a few cans of Pledge polish and spend the rest on beer (or if you're super try hard, a cheap stick that is a few inches shorter than the one you use on the ice so the height difference is the same ). When I skated out, my thing was to just set the board up in my living room and practice stick handling whilst watching the UK equivalent of Sports Center. If you have a look on YouTube for HowToHockey, he does a good video on practicing stick handling off ice.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
One thing I've found with the shooting pad is it doesn't really correct issues with your shot if those issues stem from weight transfer on skates. I'm a pretty good shooter in my basement but I lose a lot of it when I get on the ice. I'm thinking about getting some roller blades to practice but I'm not sure how well that would work in a carpeted basement.

I scored the ugliest goal last night, I drove wide and fast into the zone as per this thread's recommendation last week and then threw the puck out front for my teammate, but it hit two opposing players on the way through and then bounced five-hole. I'll take it. (In general those offensive zone tips have been great, I've played a few times since and have been able to sustain time on attack a lot more and give up fewer turnovers)

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
Had my last LTP session Tuesday. It was the worst ice I can imagine, in that it was literally puddles of water on the ice. Probably up to almost a full inch of water in places. I personally had a pretty good game but man that was awful. Nothing worse than skating upwind in 25-30 MPH gusts through an inch of water trying to stick handle.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
A junior team from my hometown in Michigan is wearing these uniforms for "beach night". So great.

https://twitter.com/MuskegonJacks/status/708012895355809792

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
:stonklol:

want those for pond hockey so bad

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Those own so loving hard.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd be happy with just the shell.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Stealin' my god drat jersey ideas.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

xzzy posted:

I'd be happy with just the shell.

Seriously this. Gimmick jerseys are fuckin' rad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Last night I spent more time than I want to admit googling to try and find someone who does custom pant shells.

I came up empty.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Those uniforms are racist.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Fingers McGee posted:

Those uniforms are racist.

The away jersey has black arms

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
It's funny how one guy on our team just doesn't get it. He's the kind of guy who takes every minor bump as "gently caress you let's fight". This season, he's racked up more penalties than anyone, doesn't really contribute to anything and has been suspended/given a game misconduct several times this season. One of the guys on the team told him to keep his poo poo together ... that nearly ended in a locker room fight.

He literally just came back from serving a 2 game suspension for being 3rd man in on a fight. The lovely part is that play was going to have us on a power play late in the third instead leasing us short handed.

Last night he got 3 penalties. Our captain is a bit of a non confrontational kind of guy so he won't really address the issue. His third came late in the third period ... we were down 2-1 with 4 minutes left about to go on a power play due to a body check. Our guy loses his poo poo, skates 20 feet over to the hitter and lays into him after the play. We ended up being short handed instead and losing 3-1.

In the locker room after the game, the hot head guy claimed the league is against him and isn't fair etc. I nearly stepped in to say something before he claimed it would be his last season in this garbage league.

I hope he keeps his promise.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Let me help

HZ cut the poo poo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's hilarious that your league let it get that far.

Mine has a three strikes rule.. on the third strike the player is permanently ejected from the league. On all three strikes the team captain takes a 1 game suspension as well. :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

Let me help

HZ cut the poo poo

gently caress you wanna fight about it

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

lazerwolf posted:

The away jersey has black arms

And white legs?

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Verman posted:

It's funny how one guy on our team just doesn't get it. He's the kind of guy who takes every minor bump as "gently caress you let's fight". This season, he's racked up more penalties than anyone, doesn't really contribute to anything and has been suspended/given a game misconduct several times this season. One of the guys on the team told him to keep his poo poo together ... that nearly ended in a locker room fight.

He literally just came back from serving a 2 game suspension for being 3rd man in on a fight. The lovely part is that play was going to have us on a power play late in the third instead leasing us short handed.

Last night he got 3 penalties. Our captain is a bit of a non confrontational kind of guy so he won't really address the issue. His third came late in the third period ... we were down 2-1 with 4 minutes left about to go on a power play due to a body check. Our guy loses his poo poo, skates 20 feet over to the hitter and lays into him after the play. We ended up being short handed instead and losing 3-1.

In the locker room after the game, the hot head guy claimed the league is against him and isn't fair etc. I nearly stepped in to say something before he claimed it would be his last season in this garbage league.

I hope he keeps his promise.

And it's not even the guy from the Facebook thread about fixing the refs that Duke Chin posted earlier that is still going on. New note for all, the guy who raised the issue about referee competence is leads the team in PIMs which as a team leads the entire league of about 100 teams in PIMs.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Some people are just beyond critical thinking I guess. Either that or because they saw a ref miss a call one time therefor it must be legal at all times for them from then on.

Last game there was a loose puck and both myself and another guy went for it, he went for the puck and I lifted his stick. He tried to push down but I kept it up for a couple of seconds and my team mate skated in and grabbed the puck.

This occurred point blank in front of the ref at the blue line. When we disengage (read: I let up on his stick as he's no longer in the play for the puck), he whines to the ref "how is that not holding?"

I'm trying to figure out how that would be considered holding in any sort of way, my stick never went near his gloves, let alone his body, and I released his stick when the puck wasn't immediately around him as he wasn't in the play anymore.

After the shift I asked a couple of my teammates what the gently caress and they just said ignore that guy but was hoping maybe one of you objective guys might clarify whether or not he was just being a baby because he got bested.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I mean, that's never going to get called a hold, but in my opinion you should be trying to play the puck. If you're doing something just to stop someone else from getting to the puck it should be discouraged.

It's sort of the same thing as interference, if you use your body to hold someone off and get the puck that's fine. If you use your body just to slow a guy down with a pick it's interference.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's pretty safe to ignore everything players on the other team say to you. They're mad, they're biased, so if they start bitching that's clearance to drop that sick burn you've been saving up.

I've done some pretty silly stick lifts and refs appear to not care as long as it's not a hook or a slash. Keep at it until you get called.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Chemmy posted:

I mean, that's never going to get called a hold, but in my opinion you should be trying to play the puck. If you're doing something just to stop someone else from getting to the puck it should be discouraged.

It's sort of the same thing as interference, if you use your body to hold someone off and get the puck that's fine. If you use your body just to slow a guy down with a pick it's interference.

We were skating towards the puck while this occurred and were in motion for the duration of it. I get what you're saying but I viewed it more like pinning it along the boards with one guy on you stopping it from letting them getting possession. You're killing the play but aware your team mate is coming in to play the puck it's not like it's just standing there so nothing happens.

xzzy posted:

It's pretty safe to ignore everything players on the other team say to you. They're mad, they're biased, so if they start bitching that's clearance to drop that sick burn you've been saving up.

I've done some pretty silly stick lifts and refs appear to not care as long as it's not a hook or a slash. Keep at it until you get called.

Yeah I kept my stick below waist level to not come close to a "high stick" and really the poo poo I did happens to me in front of the net all the time and worse. As in puck is on the line, I'm nowhere near it and I get hard stick lifted. I just don't fight it and raise my stick off his and put it back down.

The guy I was tussling with kept trying to push his stick down and overpower me. I just wasn't having any of it.

I'm pretty clean with everything I do so I guess this'll be my dirtiest move of "ehhhh it's not holding buuutttt it's a grey area."

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

doctor 7 posted:

We were skating towards the puck while this occurred and were in motion for the duration of it. I get what you're saying but I viewed it more like pinning it along the boards with one guy on you stopping it from letting them getting possession. You're killing the play but aware your team mate is coming in to play the puck it's not like it's just standing there so nothing happens.

Yes. Like I said:

quote:

625. | Interference. (a) A minor penalty shall be assessed to any player who interferes with or impedes the progress of an opponent who is not in possession of the puck (see Glossary).

The stick lift won't get called, especially if it's brief, but I don't know that it's a great play or really that much of a big success.

Edit: a quick tap to pop their stick right over the puck is fine, but if you hold it up in the air with no intention of playing the puck yourself that's different.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
In pretty much every game I play at least once I grab onto the back of a dudes pants with my hand and spin him around or slow him down or something. Beer league refs never call it, because they're always out of position and it is hard to see. it is really the only way I can keep up with super quick 23 year olds anymore and I"m fine with that.

my point here is just because something is illegal doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, often, and enthusiastically.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Chemmy posted:

Edit: a quick tap to pop their stick right over the puck is fine, but if you hold it up in the air with no intention of playing the puck yourself that's different.

Huh, I do this all the time when I'm defending someone in front of the net. Never gotten called for it, so I assumed it was legal. Not really holding it 'up in the air,' but more of keeping it a foot or 2 off the ice.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Will the part of a skate around the widest area of the foot (right behind the toes) mold or loosen up a bit over time? I got my new Supreme180s in a 6.5 because my two year old size 7 One.7 seemed just a touch too big (my toe doesn't quite brush the toe cap). Unfortunately, no local stores had a 6.5 Supreme of any kind in stock for me to try on, and the skates are snug in general but in particular apply a bit too much pressure in the sides of my foot in that region. It's not painful, just uncomfortable as my foot is getting a bit squeezed. Will molding affect that part of the boot at all, or is that something that will loosen up a bit over time?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Baking them should help.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Huh, I do this all the time when I'm defending someone in front of the net. Never gotten called for it, so I assumed it was legal. Not really holding it 'up in the air,' but more of keeping it a foot or 2 off the ice.

Conceptually I think a player should play defense by trying to make a play on the puck.

USA Hockey rules have emphasized recently, in the context of hitting, that a hit is to separate a player from the puck so you can play it, not to separate a player from the puck so someone else can play it.

It's beer league and they're not going to call everything, but I don't see a big difference between restraining someone's stick with your stick or just holding them - the end result is they can't play the puck and neither can you.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Verman posted:

Baking them should help.

I guess that's my question. If baking or time will alleviate this (I know not all parts of a boot respond to baking equally well) I think they'll be better for me (as my skating has gotten better and more aggressive, I occasionally notice my toe catching the ice as if I'm not in full control of it). If this isn't likely to be affected by baking, then I've got nothing against returning them for a 7, as we have a local Hockey Giant store.

I've always been wondering if I should go with the 190. Anyone familiar with both and know if the extra $150 is worth it?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You bought them online and never baked them? Baking might help but once you bake them they're yours. The shop may be able to punch out that area for you.

You might have wide feet and compensated the first time you bought skates by getting big ones.

That said it's ok if your toes aren't brushing the toe cap constantly. You're in SJ right? The Hockey Giant guys are pretty good, go in and talk to them and see if you can try on an EE width 6.5 skate.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Chemmy posted:

You bought them online and never baked them? Baking might help but once you bake them they're yours. The shop may be able to punch out that area for you.

You might have wide feet and compensated the first time you bought skates by getting big ones.

That said it's ok if your toes aren't brushing the toe cap constantly. You're in SJ right? The Hockey Giant guys are pretty good, go in and talk to them and see if you can try on an EE width 6.5 skate.

Correct, bought them from HG online and specifically haven't baked them because I'm undecided. It's been a few years, but I think I wound up going with the 7s because the only 6.5s they had to try at the time were Vapors, which are made for elves. And, yeah, I talked to one of the HG guys on the phone earlier today after trying these on (they just arrived yesterday), and they don't have any 6.5EE Supremes in stock to try. The other consideration is that I've always had to work pretty hard to tighten my current skates to the point where my foot was solidly locked in, which seems to support the idea that they were in fact too big. Sigh. I also have a game tonight so you guys can probably understand how hard it is to override the urge to go get these fuckers sharpened and instead assess the situation rationally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I have a wide forefoot and when they did the post Nike Supremes they stopped fitting my feet. Vapors in EE always seemed to fit correctly. I'd be interested in giving the Nexus line a try but I'm already on the Mako train.