Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Sociopastry posted:

People who don't listen when you tell them not to do something. I'm in the process of moving and my sister was nice enough to help me, which I appreciated. However, at one point I told her "hey just leave the closet in my bedroom alone, I'd rather you not look in there". Of course the first thing she does when I leave to go get more packing tape is start packing that up and she finds my private bedroom things. And then she acts like it was my fault that she "had to see that". I told her not to! And now I can't look her in the face anymore. Mortified.

I never understood that poo poo. Wasn't there some nannycam show that showed how often babysitters and housesitters and visiting family would dig through your medicine drawer or dressers or any kind of place private items might be to snoop? I never loving understand why people think that poo poo is okay to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
People who play with the loving thermostat.

We live in Florida, it's 85 degrees outside why are you turning on the loving heater?

There's 5 people here and you are the only one who thinks it's "Nippy" at 75 degrees, no you can't put the heater on it's just stupid, stop putting it on already.

It's even worse when they do this poo poo when you're already asleep and you wake up sweaty and gross and holyshit it managed to hit 90 in here you loving dumbass.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Why in 2016 do websites still force me to put a slash between dates in forms. Like if I need to enter my birthday, most sites are fine with inputting 012345 as they are coded well enough to add the slashes automatically. But then there are still sites that will refuse to submit unless you manually put in the loving slashes.

"Could not submit, please check date formatting" :fuckoff:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

bradzilla posted:

Why in 2016 do websites still force me to put a slash between dates in forms. Like if I need to enter my birthday, most sites are fine with inputting 012345 as they are coded well enough to add the slashes automatically. But then there are still sites that will refuse to submit unless you manually put in the loving slashes.

"Could not submit, please check date formatting" :fuckoff:

Even worse are sites that use different fields for the different parts of the date (or some similar number like a phone number) and automatically move your cursor forward once there's text in one of the fields. So if you put in, say, the wrong area code, gently caress you because you will never be allowed to change it.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Captain Lavender posted:

That's interesting. I always use the term Twin Cities with people from outside the area. I've never known someone who lives in Minneapolis or St Paul say they're from 'the Twin Cities' to someone else living in MN.

It was actually a good way to weed out spam Craigslist posts. If the listing is from "Twin Cities", you knew it was fake.

Yeah, I'm specifically referring to talking to people out of state. If am physically in the Twin Cities area, I just say "Burnsville". If I'm up north, I'd say I'm living in The Cities, in Burnsville. You'd be surprised how many people don't know know where Eden Prairie is even if they live in Eagan. But think about it; does anyone know where Little Canada is? How about Sunfish Lake (the city)? Does anyone outside the state know that West St. Paul is South of St. Paul? South St. Paul is east of West St. Paul. How does any of that make any sense?

That's why I like just saying Twin Cities. If I say "Minneapolis" people will assume I'm from there, which I am not. I'm south of the river. I'm touchy about it. Some people live north of the Minnesota River which means they are godless heathens and possibly Morlocks. People south of the river are good honest hard working Americans. Once you hit Lakeville, they are Morlocks again.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Nettles Coterie posted:

Yes :sigh: but where else am I gonna get a decent phone for $30?

"My neighborhood is totally, like, the ghetto of *wealthy white suburban area*" AKA "I saw a black person once!"

I think I whined about this before, last time I tried to make plans with this friend group, but... gently caress people who wait for you to make plans with them, then immediately try to hijack the plans into whatever they want to do. Recently, I had a fairly long convo with a friend about getting our group together for a camping trip, and suddenly it turned into this:

:j: my birthday is coming up and I have some time off requested, so we could go camping then.
:downs: Ooh, yeah! And we can go to this goddamn nerd convention, too! That's around the same time, right?
:j: Yeah, I guess so? That's a lot to cram into one week but it would be fun.
:downs: Cool! We can go to the convention and camp so we don't need a hotel!
:j: What?? That sounds truly awful in so many ways, and the con is in the middle of a big city.
:downs: Ok I guess we'll just go to the con then!
:j: ...... wait what

This particular person seems to do this a lot, but I've run into it with other people too. Like, if you wanna do something, then loving ask if I wanna do it like a normal person! Why wait until I tell you what *I* want to do, act like you're all for it, set a date/time, then suddenly try change the plans to something else entirely.

You got railroaded, lady.... for your birthday!! They heard you say the con might be fun and rolled with it. What did you end up doing, or is this a current situation??

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

We live in Florida, it's 85 degrees outside why are you turning on the loving heater?

There's 5 people here and you are the only one who thinks it's "Nippy" at 75 degrees, no you can't put the heater on it's just stupid, stop putting it on already.

It's even worse when they do this poo poo when you're already asleep and you wake up sweaty and gross and holyshit it managed to hit 90 in here you loving dumbass.

I like being constantly, slightly cold and I can't understand people who just dial up the heat before, I don't know, putting on a sweater or something. My old roommate would walk around in his boxers and leave his window open and then crank the heat up to about 79, leaving the rest of us to suffer horribly overnight. Put on a shirt, you dolt!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Nettles Coterie posted:

Yes :sigh: but where else am I gonna get a decent phone for $30?

Seriously.

This probably belongs more in the first world problems thread, but my current Windows Phone is the only smartphone that I've ever owned, and I'm way too used to the interface to defect to Android. :smith:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

docbeard posted:

Even worse are sites that use different fields for the different parts of the date (or some similar number like a phone number) and automatically move your cursor forward once there's text in one of the fields. So if you put in, say, the wrong area code, gently caress you because you will never be allowed to change it.

Shift+Tab

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
"We need to talk, but it has to be in person, and I can't see you until 4 days". Just say we need to talk on the loving day we're going to see each other!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

cash crab posted:

I like being constantly, slightly cold and I can't understand people who just dial up the heat before, I don't know, putting on a sweater or something. My old roommate would walk around in his boxers and leave his window open and then crank the heat up to about 79, leaving the rest of us to suffer horribly overnight. Put on a shirt, you dolt!

These people need to be rounded up and locked into a sauna for the rest of their lives, leaving the rest of us happy and sweat-free.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ryoshi posted:

Shift+Tab

You might well think so, but the site, lovingly handcrafted by Lucifer Satan LLC, has anticipated this and will bounce you forward if you tab back in.

Fortunately it's not super common.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I dealt with a stupid thing while driving today. In an intersection big enough to have two left turn lanes, the guy in front of me used the inside turn lane, then shortly after finishing the turn, slowed the gently caress down until he had an opportunity to switch to the right lane. Traffic wasn't super busy, so it's not like he thought the left lane was going too slow. For a second I thought that maybe he was unfamiliar with the area, and trying to get to the highway exit that's immediately after the intersection. Nope. Just some stupid fucker who slowed me down for no good reason.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

DavidAlltheTime posted:

You got railroaded, lady.... for your birthday!! They heard you say the con might be fun and rolled with it. What did you end up doing, or is this a current situation??

Current. I mean, I'm no stranger to lovely nerd conventions and I'd have a good time regardless, but god drat it I want to go camping, and this particular friend does this way too often. "Oh, you want to do *thing*? You know what else would be fun, is if we ALSO did all these unrelated things that I want to do. Oh, and then we might not have time to do your thing." I'd just drop her if she was doing it intentionally to be a bitch, but she's usually a very sweet, conscientious person and genuinely seems to be completely unaware of this habit.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Famous people in a restaurant or cafe that you are in. It's like, you might as well go gently caress yourself now that they are here. At least when it happened to me in Japan the shop owner later gave me some free tomatoes, which was kind of a weird consolation prize.

I don't even know who these sports guys are that I ran into recently and I really wanted to tell them that. Professional athletes seem pretty stupid with garbage-tier attitudes whenever I meet one so I have no idea why people worship them so much.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

My mom is bad about this (or was) when she and my dad checked on my place while I was recovering from surgery. My apartment is third floor and gets pretty warm, even in winter, to the point I almost never have to run the heater. We happened to have a few warm days during the winter and I had turned the AC on and left it at 74 so I wouldn't come home to an 80+ sauna after work. She turned the thermostat to 70 without telling me because it was "too hot" in my place. You were there like twice and each time for maybe 10 minutes! YOU DO NOT LIVE HERE, CUT THAT poo poo OUT. Even my dad was like "it felt fine to me" and he usually has their house set to 72-73 in summer, so it's not like there was a massive difference in temperature.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
It seems like every other day Comcast will interrupt an on-demand playback with an emergency services test. It used to be maybe once a month, but recently it has been literally every other day. "If this had been a real emergency, you probably wouldn't be quite as annoyed as you are right now" should really be what they say.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bast Relief posted:

I don't even know who these sports guys are that I ran into recently and I really wanted to tell them that. Professional athletes seem pretty stupid with garbage-tier attitudes whenever I meet one so I have no idea why people worship them so much.
For the same reasons people worship any other kind of entertainer

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Nettles Coterie posted:

Current. I mean, I'm no stranger to lovely nerd conventions and I'd have a good time regardless, but god drat it I want to go camping, and this particular friend does this way too often. "Oh, you want to do *thing*? You know what else would be fun, is if we ALSO did all these unrelated things that I want to do. Oh, and then we might not have time to do your thing." I'd just drop her if she was doing it intentionally to be a bitch, but she's usually a very sweet, conscientious person and genuinely seems to be completely unaware of this habit.

If she's genuinely sweet and conscientious, you could be doing her a favor by gently mentioning it to her. If she really doesn't realize she hijacks other people's plans, and she is a nice person otherwise, she might be horrified to learn that she does this to people and change her actions. I've had people bring my bad habits to my attention, and I've always appreciated it because it's not an easy conversation to have, and I don't want to alienate my friends.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I started an apartment application and they emailed me some basic questions (even though they are already on the application itself), one of which was "Will you be bringing any fur babies (pets) with you?"

There is just no time that phrase should ever be used.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My boss has been dropping hints that he really really wants me to come in to work on a day I already have approved vacation time for. Because we have a huge event that day and someone else quit suddenly, so he keeps pushing in that nice way, and I tell him no, because gently caress it, I need the day off and would rather get paid 8 hours to sit at home than 14 hours frantically dealing with all levels of rush hour traffic. I said no, I mean no, you can't UNapprove the time! Gee boss, maybe if I was in a center CLOSER TO MY HOME this wouldn't be an issue, but you gave that spot to rear end in a top hat McGee last year, so I've stopped caring.

Note: the event was announced after I got the vacation approved, and I asked for the time off a month in advance, so it's not like I'm flipping the finger intentionally. But stop asking nicely, it isn't working and it's making everything creepy when you keep mentioning it.

Peeve: Daylight Savings Time. The gently caress do we need this poo poo for?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Cowslips Warren posted:

Peeve: Daylight Savings Time. The gently caress do we need this poo poo for?

Dammit I can't find it now but I read a pretty good "it should just always be daylight saving time" article recently.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Digirat posted:

I started an apartment application and they emailed me some basic questions (even though they are already on the application itself), one of which was "Will you be bringing any fur babies (pets) with you?"

There is just no time that phrase should ever be used.

I just mumbled "yuck" out loud. Jesus, don't live there.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One thing I've always hated is when people get bitchy about me liking "childrens' media" ie cartoons, family movies and stuff like that, or weirder stuff like LP videos. I've moved out of my parent's house, budget properly and eat well, It's not like I'm a tremendous manchild. I've got enough reality and I'm dealing fine, don't judge me for my taste in escapist media goddammit...

Edit: It's probably partially because I don't enjoy a lot of media that people consider 'adult' media, though there are exceptions (I fell asleep during Casablanca but I fully enjoyed the Artist and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane). I've never seen some movies because I don't give a poo poo about the Genres as a whole, like I've never enjoyed mafia stories much because I can't bring myself to care about the characters because a lot of their problems are entirely their own fault.

I understand that that is the structure of every tragedy, the main character undone by their own flaws, but often characters have things that you can like about them as well, and Tough and Loyal are not inherently likable things. They just make a bad person worse. The most egregious thing about those kinds of stories, for me, is that any talk of love for anyone or anything just falls flat. Like with Falcone in Gotham, my reaction to his refrain of 'I love this city' is 'Then why did you corrupt the poo poo out of it and turn it into a lawless hellhole idiot?'

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Mar 12, 2016

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
My new dog likes to run really fast at you and then punch you in crotch, this is a huge peeve of everyone I know

Senator Sprinkles
Aug 16, 2008

I'm so tired of hearing about pi I just want to di.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Senator Sprinkles posted:

There's no need to get irrationally angry about it!

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Senator Sprinkles posted:

Yeah, it's pretty much the one chance that my idiot friends from high school get to show everyone how ~~nerdy~~ they are. Congrats on remembering a single fact from 10th-grade geometry I guess.

Except the two guys who are math professors now. Those guys get a pass.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
There's a discussion going on in the STDH thread about standing/sitting in concerts but I thought this post was more appropriate here. I hate getting bitched at for not standing or just expressing a preference for sitting down during college football/basketball games. If it's like 100 degrees in direct sunlight with no shade in the student section, you aren't a "bad fan" for sitting down for a minute or two here and there. Even if you spend the extra money to sit in the alumni section with shade and actual seats instead of just bleachers you'll still get yelled at for sitting down in them unless you're 60+ years old.

I mean I get it, college sports stadiums are supposed to be really loud/energetic, but is it really that egregious to take a break for a few minutes? Particularly if your team is up by several touchdowns - why not save your voice and relax a little?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Murphy Brownback posted:

There's a discussion going on in the STDH thread about standing/sitting in concerts but I thought this post was more appropriate here. I hate getting bitched at for not standing or just expressing a preference for sitting down during college football/basketball games. If it's like 100 degrees in direct sunlight with no shade in the student section, you aren't a "bad fan" for sitting down for a minute or two here and there. Even if you spend the extra money to sit in the alumni section with shade and actual seats instead of just bleachers you'll still get yelled at for sitting down in them unless you're 60+ years old.

I mean I get it, college sports stadiums are supposed to be really loud/energetic, but is it really that egregious to take a break for a few minutes? Particularly if your team is up by several touchdowns - why not save your voice and relax a little?

Alternatively, if you stand up during moments that call for it, some old fart always tells you to sit down.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The automatic payment for my insurance always comes through either early or late, and it's always just on time to gently caress me until the next payday :negative:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

The automatic payment for my insurance always comes through either early or late, and it's always just on time to gently caress me until the next payday :negative:

God, I love it when payments go on a 30 day cycle rather than being due the same date each month.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Applying for a job and then immediately receiving an e-mail "inviting" me to the next stage which is an online application form asking for the information that I already gave by submitting my CV. I don't understand why they don't just tell you that you have to fill out the application form to begin with. It's not like they're filtering people out. The last such job I applied for was at 11pm. The most rational (lol) explanation I can think of is that they know how annoying application forms are and are deliberately blind-siding people with them to be arseholes.

Also, gently caress duplicate vacancy postings. The same job is being posted to multiple sites which will then repost to each other and will then sometimes post to each other AGAIN. I swear I saw the same job posted 9 times in a row in my search results on one website yesterday. It wasn't even one of the lovely aggregate websites. I need to learn to programming to filter this poo poo out or something.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
IRS apparently taxes bonus payouts at like 47%.

I guess this probably should go in the first world problems thread, though.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Everyone went apeshit over yesterday being Pi Day and hardly anyone cares it's the Ides of March today.

Dammit, I care.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

queserasera posted:

Everyone went apeshit over yesterday being Pi Day and hardly anyone cares it's the Ides of March today.

Dammit, I care.

I had to correct some people at work yesterday that the Ides of March did not come from Macbeth

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

queserasera posted:

Dammit, I care.

My facebook won't shut up about it, and the "Et tu, Brute?" posts are getting old. I'd rather see pictures of pies.

Though one friend did post a picture of a bottle of Caesar dressing with a knife stuck in it. That was excusable.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Murphy Brownback posted:

I was at the roller derby international championships last fall, and they were televised for the first time on ESPN3 so there were people everywhere trying to keep the crowd excited. I was in the balcony and probably the only person not freaking out - Gotham lost the championship and ended their five year long winning streak, it was a big deal - and some rear end in a top hat kept harassing me to jump all around with everyone.

My cousin had just died that morning. Sorry for not losing my drat mind over every apex jump, but seriously gently caress off.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

queserasera posted:

Dammit, I care.

Do people bring delicious dessert to work for the Ides of March?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Murphy Brownback posted:

Even if you spend the extra money to sit in the alumni section with shade and actual seats instead of just bleachers you'll still get yelled at for sitting down in them unless you're 60+ years old.

Can't you just tell these people to gently caress off?