Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

ElectricWizard posted:

there's a nice spot beneath a scaffolding that seems to work alright. I'll show you the next time we play! Played with a Russian that must have been cheating earlier, as he had a firewall staff that instantly killed anything including stormvermin. So watch out for exploits I guess.

Firewall? Neat. There is a single instance of the Firefly Flamewave staff in the master item list but I never tried to spawn it for myself, fearing I'd get bugged out or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
If you use the Shrine of Solace to change the weapon traits (not the values), does it change all of them, or just the one you select? I've got a 9.7% Regrowth on this sword/shield combo and don't want to lose that if it scrambles all three of the traits.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
It changes them all, but you can keep your current set after seeing what the game offers you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

Owning this DLC will let you invite friends to play with you even if they do not own the DLC!

Man do I love when companies are cool like this. I think this just sold me on the DLC even though I don't play a ton, because that means my friends who are poor and never buy DLC can play the new maps with me, so we'll actually play them rather than never playing them even though I bought them. Good deal.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's less about being cool and more knowing that splitting the player base kills games or at least dooms DLC sales

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's less about being cool and more knowing that splitting the player base kills games or at least dooms DLC sales

Well, yeah. But that's what I mean by "cool" :colbert:

They're not trying to be hip, no. They're doing the smart thing. Sorry if that was confusing?

Map packs don't sell because then nobody plays them, yeah. But only co-op games like payday and vermintide seem to do the "your friends can play the map pack if you buy it" thing, because it wouldn't work as well in battlefield or halo. (I guess it could?)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

This game is turning into PAYDAY 2 already. People are accusing me of cheating for carrying their asses through Horn of Magnus. I had a no damage run on magnus and this rear end in a top hat dwarf just goes off on me at the end. He was like "Dude the hagbane doesn't have that much ammo. Not that I'm complaining of course." <- Literally his words. I have Scavenger on my hagbane and I literally expended only 20 shots out of the 35 you get, regaining most of it with the 24% chance. If you shoot at the two pillars when the swarm actually starts you get like 30+ kills of slave rats.

It's especially funny considering all three of my team died on a SLAVE RAT SWARM they were funneling in the courtyard after the ogre died. They all had full health too. I was star struck by how bad it all was.

But maybe he was just being in-character and I'm taking this too seriously :v:

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Tagichatn posted:

Have you tried fiddling with the graphical settings in the launcher?

Everything on lowest, reduced screen size, no vsync, etc. Still choppy. I would just be like "Oh, my computer sucks," but it was fine like two nights before the update and now I can't even play.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

caleb posted:

Everything on lowest, reduced screen size, no vsync, etc. Still choppy. I would just be like "Oh, my computer sucks," but it was fine like two nights before the update and now I can't even play.

I assume you've done the usual of verifying your game cache, updating drivers, etc? Sometimes the rats get into your computer. They are very devious and will stop at nothing to ensure their victory

Be watchful :tinfoil:

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Lunethex posted:

This game is turning into PAYDAY 2 already. People are accusing me of cheating for carrying their asses through Horn of Magnus. I had a no damage run on magnus and this rear end in a top hat dwarf just goes off on me at the end. He was like "Dude the hagbane doesn't have that much ammo. Not that I'm complaining of course." <- Literally his words. I have Scavenger on my hagbane and I literally expended only 20 shots out of the 35 you get, regaining most of it with the 24% chance. If you shoot at the two pillars when the swarm actually starts you get like 30+ kills of slave rats.

It's especially funny considering all three of my team died on a SLAVE RAT SWARM they were funneling in the courtyard after the ogre died. They all had full health too. I was star struck by how bad it all was.

I mean, I've played with you and you were cheating. Not that I'm complaining. :v:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Halman posted:

I mean, I've played with you and you were cheating. Not that I'm complaining. :v:

Those were good times.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Lunethex posted:

Do hagbanes do a lingering AoE or just poison in a radius when they first hit? I finally got an orange one and I hear they're the poo poo on last stand.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

It doesn't linger, so if you're in the blast radius you'll get hit.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Having played a few rounds of Nightmare and a bit of the Horde mode, I think I'm still fairly happy with the Beam Staff, since the primary fire still owns. The Bolt Staff is fun as hell now too, since Vegeta-ing dudes is actually somewhat effective, and it's easy to pop off bolts pretty quickly now that they have target lock. I haven't had the chance to try the other Staffs, but I never played them much before the patch, so I doubt I'd have a good handle on what changed.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The conflagration staff is pro-tier now. It charges super fast and generates less heat than the bolt.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I completely regret salvaging my orange hagsbane back during the first couple of weeks.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Last Stand is really bad, holy poo poo.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I like it so far. :shrug:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

In beta it was fine minus the waves being light and too long but then they took all of the items out, made the reward worse and then made the later waves (and heroic even) impossible for all but the people most capable of exploiting AI and having the best gear, but the latter is a given. Even then, it gets to a point where ogres have a truly insane amount of HP then they throw 4 at you. I've only made it to wave 31 on heroic. The reward for an hour was 80 orange stones, which if you spent an hour before you'd get at least 100-110.

Most people won't ever get past Wave 10.

Nightmare running all tomes and grims remains the only real way to get good poo poo.

The waves of are loving insane, had a 7 gas rat wave. 5 packmasters, 2 gutters. Lots of specials. I like that, but they keep bumping up their HP and it's impossible to get results at a point, and they refuse to dole out enough supplies. I have all that I need, but I feel bad for anyone who is legit trying to get something out of this to improve their killing odds.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I haven't gotten quite that far yet, and I could see them adding better loot, but I play Last Stand because it's fun to torch rats. The point where I start grinding for this game is the point I realize I should take a break and do something constructive in my life. It's not that I don't like the loot process in this game, but if the game itself isn't fun, there's nothing to collect new loot for.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Stop the two new maps are Town Watch and The Fall. The Fall is only accessible if you have the DLC? Is it worth it?

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Present posted:

Stop the two new maps are Town Watch and The Fall. The Fall is only accessible if you have the DLC? Is it worth it?

I found the DLC map much, much easier than the default one.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

At first the dwarf was my least favorite character, but I think his dialogue is my favorite. And the classes are starting to feel more varied now that I have more weapon types available.

Switching to hard mode indeed made things easier paradoxically because I'm getting matched with better players, succeeded on several hard missions and got some levels. Still running into players who blindly sprint ahead while somebody is being dragged or pounced on though.

From last page, but I've gotten this in other games too. In Guild Wars 2, there's a set of short dungeons where you can basically pick the difficulty for your team. Easy dungeons are easy enough that even idiot children can complete them (despite being 5 person content they're not exceptionally hard to solo if you play decently, just kinda time consuming), only people who know what they're doing do hard dungeons (ie they generally go smoothly), and medium difficulty dungeons are regularly an absolute clusterfuck because you need 2-3 competent people to complete them (so idiots get carried regularly) but if you get 3-4 morons for party mates, you're screwed and they will bicker constantly over whose fault it REALLY is as they do the equivalent of being That Elf Player who just sprints into slave rats bunny hopping and spraying arrows and complaining that the team didn't keep up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Azerban posted:

I found the DLC map much, much easier than the default one.

Yeah the town hall map really sucks. I think I'll buy schluesellschlosse or whatever its called because its only $3 and looks way more interesting than the town square.

Also schleusellschlosse is fun to say.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Literally everyone wants to be the elf for some reason. I was trying to get her trinket achievement the other day and every game I logged in no matter if it was 3/4 full or 2/4 or even 1/4 the elf slot was filled already. Must have spent a good ten fifteen minutes going through the lobby. It's mind boggling.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Lunethex posted:

The conflagration staff is pro-tier now. It charges super fast and generates less heat than the bolt.

All right, Vermintide: You roll a d6 and I roll a d6 and we stop when you win to see how many extra hits I... Oh. You rolled a six. I guess take 2 S4 hits. :smith:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Syrnn posted:

All right, Vermintide: You roll a d6 and I roll a d6 and we stop when you win to see how many extra hits I... Oh. You rolled a six. I guess take 2 S4 hits. :smith:

Conflagration of Doom, everybody.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Present posted:

Literally everyone wants to be the elf for some reason. I was trying to get her trinket achievement the other day and every game I logged in no matter if it was 3/4 full or 2/4 or even 1/4 the elf slot was filled already. Must have spent a good ten fifteen minutes going through the lobby. It's mind boggling.

You can equip any character's trinket on anybody else. You don't need to specifically play the elf to equip her trinket nor do you have to be her to get the achievement. You just need to roll one of her items while wearing it.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Present posted:

I don't know about everyone else but I got an awesome orange sword and dagger awhile ago and an orange hagbane a few days ago. The SnD has 10% chance to heal and the instakill trait and it's been a lot of fun in using it in last stand. The instakill works on stormvermin so you don't have to worry about charge attacks, you can just go apeshit and with 15% chance to proc, you'll probably kill it quick. Managing her combos are interesting too since the SnD does two sweep attacks and then two stabs. If there's a bunch of rats, you don't want the stabs since they hit just one target so you can block or do a heavy attack to reset. For specials though, you want all four attacks to come out as quick as possible to try and proc the instakill.

Also I've read a few times on reddit that the elf is the best and OP or something so that might be why she's growing in popularity. One guy cited her blockstab as a reason for being OP even though it's not terribly useful.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

All they really need to do to make Saltzpyre the equal of Kerillian is give him the same move speed as her while blocking. The elf may be the most OP in ideal situations, but she also has the lowest average Stamina on her weapons of all characters with some of the highest reliance on ammunition to perform at the top of their game, numbers-wise. None of that matters and I hope they stop tweaking the Characters because this game has other cripplingly awful bugs and quality of life changes that need to be addressed is already beautiful and perfect. :allears:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Who even cares that much about balance in a co-operative game? Like killing spherical rats in a vacuum matters less than having teamwork, playing to your strengths, and having a team that covers your weaknesses. As long as balance between characters is even close to being good, it's good enough.

I haven't played in a month or two cause I've been busy, but last I played every character felt like a fun rat smasher and it wasn't a big deal who I played. People who complain that much about balance in a co-op team game like this are whiny children.

edit: nevermind I just answered who even cares that much - it's whiny, whiny overgrown children

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Because it sucks when you feel like you're not contributing to the team.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Can you smash rats with any character? Y/N

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Magres posted:

Unless things have changed dramatically since I last played, everyone can contribute to the team just fine

Depends on the situation, really. I usually play as a Beam wizard, but if a good Hagbane elf is on the team too, then I'm basically redundant when the ogre spawns, despite the Beam staff being one of the best anti-ogre weapons (at least, pre-nerf). Likewise, if you really want to use something like the Witch Hunter's Repeater Pistol, you'll probably be easily outclassed by the other characters, even at the thing you're best at.

Ideally, no one should be able to solo any encounter if they're playing at a difficulty appropriate to their skill/gear, but some classes/specs make that really easy.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Okay I'll take that back then, things have changed dramatically since I last played :v:

(The hagbane was considered terrible then)

I thought this was getting into like "someone on Reddit did math with a bunch of egregiously unfounded assumptions and simplifications that involved removing every obstacle between X character and killing rats as quickly as possible, and in this stupid rear end theoretical the Elf is the best" like it, in my experience, usually is.

Magres fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 12, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bad balance invalidates a lot of content on higher difficulties where you have to be incredibly good to perform at the same level with a worse weapon as you would with a better weapon, and wanting to use different weapons like the axe or blunderbuss on higher difficulties without feeling like you're at a disadvantage or a dead weight to your team does not make you a "whiny overgrown child"

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Also, some of the balance issues are outright bugs. For instance, until the latest patch, every 2nd spark from the Bolt Staff (the DBZ energy balls) wasn't scaling with item rarity, so the damage output was artificially low for higher rarities. I believe the same issue applies to the pistol on the Rapier.

Another reason to support balance between the classes is so that it's easier to find a group. If there's a clear "best" class, you'll have a hard time finding matches where you can play as them, even if you just happen to really like that class's playstyle.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 12, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The elf is probably not the best anyway. Most people, especially scrubs, always think the "best" thing in a video game is that which is most visibly destructive. Kerillian sends lots of blended rat parts flying so she seems the best to the uneducated eye. I would say the Kruber is most often the MVP considering equal play and good gear choice, but he doesn't visibly blend rats like Kerillian so people aren't impressed.

It's the same reason why so many players undervalue "makes you not show up on radar" abilities in shooters even though they are almost always extremely good. You don't see the effect directly or it's more difficult to utilize (i.e. requires thought) so scrubs pass it over for something more direct like "makes bigger boom".

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

The elf is probably not the best anyway. Most people, especially scrubs, always think the "best" thing in a video game is that which is most visibly destructive. Kerillian sends lots of blended rat parts flying so she seems the best to the uneducated eye. I would say the Kruber is most often the MVP considering equal play and good gear choice, but he doesn't visibly blend rats like Kerillian so people aren't impressed.

Definitely. The elf isn't universally the best, but some of the things she's good at render the rest of the team superfluous in those situations. The rat ogre especially should be a team effort, not "the elf shot it full of Hagbane arrows for 3 seconds and it dropped."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Digirat posted:

Bad balance invalidates a lot of content on higher difficulties where you have to be incredibly good to perform at the same level with a worse weapon as you would with a better weapon, and wanting to use different weapons like the axe or blunderbuss on higher difficulties without feeling like you're at a disadvantage or a dead weight to your team does not make you a "whiny overgrown child"

Don't you know? Caring about games makes you nerd manchild.

• Locked thread