Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

Burkion posted:

This is just

Really this is the best you can do

We'll gladly knife fight each other over stupid poo poo all the time you don't have to try to troll us. It's okay man.

I just want to rag on the DCU and enjoy watching a company shoot itself in the foot. I thought this was the place to do that.

Liking MoS doesn't exclude you from partaking of that joy. You can hate the things you love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Please remake your chart to include Box Office numbers. An incomplete data set is useless.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They're really gonna shoot themselves in the foot with this movie that's getting good critical buzz and tracking ~$250-300 million opening weekend.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So Luke Cage just had it's release date dropped (September 30th), I'm totally ignorant of the character so I'm curious: Who would be his biggest villain that the show would use?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OldTennisCourt posted:

So Luke Cage just had it's release date dropped (September 30th), I'm totally ignorant of the character so I'm curious: Who would be his biggest villain that the show would use?

Luke Cage has villains?

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Boob Marley posted:

I have never been rattled harder by anything in my life than this comment. Good god.

Took out the freshness column since that triggers people.

No Snowpiercer. Try again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

OldTennisCourt posted:

Society.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This poo poo is hilarious. Marvel movies are basically the TGI Fridays/Applebees/Chili's of cinema. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Look, it's very confusing that you've made all the stand-alone films the same color and universe name. You should really differentiate them somehow. The chart is illegible and therefore useless as it stands.

Unless you are proposing that there is a "Stand Alone Cinematic Universe", which would be by far the most interesting thing you've done in this thread.

e: Hey now you have six hours of uninterrupted work time to do the needful. Thanks in advance!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Yeah he's incredibly strongly tied to helpin his community and fighting the man

Fight the property developers from Daredevil is my bet

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cutty from The Wire is essentially Luke Cage.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's not like there will be another Fantastic Four adaptation in the next 8 years anyway :v:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

teagone posted:

This poo poo is hilarious. Marvel movies are basically the TGI Fridays/Applebees/Chili's of cinema. And there's nothing wrong with that.
I kind of want to find the reverse of that since I'm sure there is something just as dumb on the DC side as there is "smart" on the Marvel side.

Plus now it all makes sense why I like the MCU because I'm the person who actually likes going to Applebees

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
He's basically just Marvel's version of Shaft, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Dude wrongly convicted of a crime, gets superpowers through a prison experiment, becomes a Hero for Hire tend to be the summary of his situation

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

Not really, Shaft is more an establishment figure.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Boob Marley posted:

I dunno, seems to have riled a lot of you turds into some serious diarrhea here...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Are you for real bragging about "riling up" a bunch of movie dorks into discussing movies

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is he more of a human tornado or a disco godfather?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Can you elaborate more on what you mean by "establishment", because I'm reading it like you're saying he's pro-"The MAN"?

Also, I just learned one of the tag lines for Shaft was "The mob wanted Harlem back, They got Shaft...... up to here" and that's a dope tag line.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Thinking about it now, I'm curious who they pick to be the villain for the Defenders. Maybe Kingpin again?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

achillesforever6 posted:

Plus now it all makes sense why I like the MCU because I'm the person who actually likes going to Applebees

All comic book movies are McDonald's. The only difference is that some of them are McCafe, with that veneer of respectability you get from selling coffee and danishes instead of cheeseburgers and hot pies. But it's still McDonald's.

Except Catwoman. Catwoman's the dumpster out back of a McDonald's.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

Can you elaborate more on what you mean by "establishment", because I'm reading it like you're saying he's pro-"The MAN"?

Also, I just learned one of the tag lines for Shaft was "The mob wanted Harlem back, They got Shaft...... up to here" and that's a dope tag line.

Shaft was a suave black private detective, Luke Cage was an ex-con who couldn't get any work so he protected the hood for money under the table.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Shaft was a suave black private detective, Luke Cage was an ex-con who couldn't get any work so he protected the hood for money under the table.

Thanks for indulging me. I haven't seen the original Shaft in years, so I looked up the plot synopsis and I had forgotten that he worked somewhat closely with a police detective and was considered more on the "up-and-up" then an underground savior.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Isn't he a Batman villain?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Honest Thief posted:

Isn't he a Batman villain?

The one villain Batman is absolutely terrified of.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Actually, it was Anarchy I was thinking of.

Batman does seem to have a lot of villains that crib one social anxiety or another, especially since they started using Joker as like this "ahead of the curve" new norm.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Detective Dog Dick posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's the joke.

ImpAtom posted:

I assumed that was the point. It's being built up a dramatic moment and he awkwardly goes "Uh... hi?"

I figured this would be the response, but then the music and the rest of the presentation should change to reflect that, rather than continue identically as before.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

OldTennisCourt posted:

The biggest villain in that show would be that Luke Cage is played by Mike Colter, who proved himself an extremely dull performer in Jessica Jones.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective Dog Dick posted:

The biggest villain in that show would be that Luke Cage is played by Mike Colter, who proved himself an extremely dull performer in Jessica Jones.

It would have been great if it was Bokeem Woodbine rather than some kind of fantasy hunk.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sir Kodiak posted:

I figured this would be the response, but then the music and the rest of the presentation should change to reflect that, rather than continue identically as before.

Doesn't the music stop?

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I wish Fred Williams was in the MCU as Fred Williams and he just beats the life outta everyone

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

I kind of want to find the reverse of that since I'm sure there is something just as dumb on the DC side as there is "smart" on the Marvel side.

Both universes have the potential for being good for different reason.

Marvel is more likely to be successful overall because they realize that comic books can be fun, and they don't shy from making things super comic booky.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It would have been great if it was Bokeem Woodbine rather than some kind of fantasy hunk.

Goddammit now I'm all mad it's not him.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

net cafe scandal posted:

I noticed his tie was red in one scene - The Republican color. Can't have been a coincidence.

Let's not make eye contact.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhymenoserous posted:

Both universes have the potential for being good for different reason.

Marvel is more likely to be successful overall because they realize that comic books can be fun, and they don't shy from making things super comic booky.

Ahahaha if you think DC is less comic booky than Marvel

For the love of Christ look at Batman. He's wearing an updated Adam West Batman outfit.

We get to see this again.

His armor is totally impractical and ripped RIGHT out of a comic. No moving parts or cgi bits. Just big ole fat as gently caress bulk armor. How is this not comic book?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

achillesforever6 posted:

I like Chili's chicken fingers every now and then because sometimes I wanna eat like a 10 year old.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Glamorama26 posted:

I wish Fred Williams was in the MCU as Fred Williams and he just beats the life outta everyone

Great now I have the theme to Boss friend of the family stuck in my head

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Ahahaha if you think DC is less comic booky than Marvel

For the love of Christ look at Batman. He's wearing an updated Adam West Batman outfit.

We get to see this again.

His armor is totally impractical and ripped RIGHT out of a comic. No moving parts or cgi bits. Just big ole fat as gently caress bulk armor. How is this not comic book?

Woooooosh goes the point as it flies over your head

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What do you mean comic book-y is a synonym for fun and silly that people usually use to refer to the antics of silver age stories, I only have heard it use to literally mean in a comic

Also lmao BvS batman is not wearing an updated Adam west suit

E also what is context how could I have Sussed this out from complaints about DC movies being dour as gently caress

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

What do you mean comic book-y is a synonym for fun and silly that people usually use to refer to the antics of silver age stories, I only have heard it use to literally mean in a comic

Also lmao BvS batman is not wearing an updated Adam west suit

Except comic books CAN be serious affairs. They don't have to be silly. They can aspire to be more than just that.

I'm not saying the DC films are more comic booky either because that's stupid. They're both based on comic book super heroes and feature guys with ADJECTIVE MAN names running around punching people.

Also do you have some kind of brain problem where I have to explicitly explain every single thing I say, otherwise you get confused? Or are you just an idiot so I can make fun of you?

Because yes, the suit Batman is wearing in the DCU is, in fact, an Adam West style one. As in, it's a skin tight body suit with a cape and cowl. The only difference is how it looks and the materials used to make it. No other movie Batman EXCEPT Adam West has worn one like this.

• Locked thread