Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey guys do you think warham high elves are friendly but aloof when it comes to humans or do they basically think of them as uncultured swine to use as a shield? I know that five straight pages of totally unsourced opinions on this matter might sound unreasonable, but I think we can do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey guys do you think warham high elves are friendly but aloof when it comes to humans or do they basically think of them as uncultured swine to use as a shield? I know that five straight pages of totally unsourced opinions on this matter might sound unreasonable, but I think we can do it!

I hear the Phoenix King wants to build a wall and make the Bretonnians pay for it!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Make Ulthuan great again.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Relin posted:

I'm trying to draw attention to a Warham game that's actually good and out

That'd be Battlefleet Gothic, and there's a few goons streaming the beta right now at the end of the thread if you want to see if powersliding space cruisers around and ramming the poo poo out of cathedral spaceships is for you (yes it is).

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chomp8645 posted:

do you think elves lay eggs haha?

do you think maybe someone drew images of elves pooping elf eggs haha?

if you have them you can post them, just for fun lol haha

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Countdown! Four more days (GMT) till we can all be mad again at what isn't included.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mans posted:

do you think elves lay eggs haha?

do you think maybe someone drew images of elves pooping elf eggs haha?

if you have them you can post them, just for fun lol haha

lol i got an ironic boner hahahaha

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I cant wait for the AoS expansion that deletes all the fun armies you paid for in DLC.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
So how do vampires work in WHFB? Do they bite people on the neck to make other vampires or is it a magic related thing? Can they go in the sun? Do they fight with chaos and orks frequently or are they mostly antagonists to the Empire? Can they turn into bats and poo poo?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Sharzak posted:

So how do vampires work in WHFB? Do they bite people on the neck to make other vampires or is it a magic related thing? Can they go in the sun? Do they fight with chaos and orks frequently or are they mostly antagonists to the Empire? Can they turn into bats and poo poo?

Yes

Basically, take all vampire lore out there, throw it in a blender, then x100.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Okay so is the conversion blood or magic tho

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

It's not werewolf rules where just biting someone turns them into a vampire but I don't think it's just a potion either. It's a process, and making more vampires makes your own lineage weaker like the Masquerade.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sharzak posted:

Okay so is the conversion blood or magic tho

Yes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Warhammer vampires were created with a version of Nagash's (the first necromancer) elixir of immortality. Neferata figured it out, and the original vampires were created with her and Arkhan's work. All the others get fed a vampire's blood, and the vampire bloodlines are all different genres of vampires. Neferata's Lahmians are the sexy vampires, the Von Carnsteins (Vlad is probably her husband LamashizzarVashanesh) are the Dracula vampires, and so on. They're all incredibly tough and tend to be really good magicians, except for Blood Dragons, who don't do magic but can kill a thousand hardcase soldiers without breaking a sweat. Mechanically, VC armies are masses of mindless trash undead backed up by a small number of incredibly tough elite units, like Blood Dragon Knights. If VCs lose all of their magician vampires and mortal necromancers, their animated units fall apart.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 11, 2016

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Sharzak posted:

In addition to what others said, vampires originally could go out in the sun and be just fine, but there was a battle against the race that would become the tomb kings and Nagash that changed all that. Nagash, being the first necromancer and responsible for the vampires existing at all, decided that the vampires should be his generals. Instead of enslaving them and controlling them directly like other undead, he instead gave Vashanesh, the husband of Neferata, a ring that gave him control over the other vampires and also prevented him from dying.

The vampires had the pre-tomb king dudes pretty much beaten, but realized that if they won Nagash would turn the whole world into undead and it would be a bad time, so Vashanesh removed his ring while in one on one combat with the tomb king leader (I think that was Lamashizzar, but it might have been one of his kids or grandkids) and was killed. When that happened, the vampires were able to rebel from Nagash's army and they all fled. When this happaened, Nagash cursed them to be weak to the sun.

Then later the same kind of thing happened when Nagash tried to fight Sigmar, and the curse that time was that vampires are weak to Sigmar's followers.

If you decide you really care about vampires in WHFB, you should track down Liber Necris (https://www.amazon.com/dp/1844163385, but don't buy it at the crazy prices it goes for there). It's a pretty neat little book detailing vampire biology and history, written from the perspective of the main vampire in Total Warhammer.

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 11, 2016

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Relin posted:

idgi

Also he has a very slow attack speed, and sometimes stops attacking all together. These are things other people have complained about. But! He is very tanky and I carried two idiots to wave 20 on

Hes supremely broken and nearly unkillable by level 5 with the right gear.

Worst case scenario you can waltz around and pop the scarabs and lead the entire enemy swarm around like the pied piper of hamelin as your team whittle them down.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sharkopath posted:

Hes supremely broken and nearly unkillable by level 5 with the right gear.

Worst case scenario you can waltz around and pop the scarabs and lead the entire enemy swarm around like the pied piper of hamelin as your team whittle them down.

Yeah but he doesn't get rocket run so he's inferior to the IG guy.

e: also my username is relevant wrt the Huan talk.

dd209
Sep 21, 2015
Sorry if this has already been posted, but if you're in Bongland: GMG's UK site lowered their price to match steam, so combined with the usual 20% discount I was able to pick up the game for 32 pounds. Afaik that's the best deal available to Brits at the moment, aside from VPN shenanigans.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Vampire Stream confirmed for March 15th, not that anyone doubted it at this point.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Also, an early hands on preview with Vampires

http://mytechnews.net/hands-on-preview-total-war-warhammer/

I'd expect what he describes to be basically the same video we get on Tuesday, as that has been the pattern so far.

Edit: Quoting because it appears this is a leak with a high chance of getting taken down.

quote:

I must admit to some trepidation when I sat down to play Total War: Warhammer. I’ve been bit of a Total War tragic since the days of Shogun, but the recent Rome II really took the shine off the series for me. I do know it’s been patched to within an inch of its life, making it now a much better game, but those first impressions stick.

Thankfully, my first impressions of Total Warhammer are much more positive.

The build I got to play was based around the Vampire Counts army, one of the game’s four playable release factions. As you might surmise, they’re a little bit evil. Well, actually, a lot evil. Think hordes of bats, raising the dead, and generally casting a shadow of doom and corruption across the land.

They’re also one of the more iconic races in the tabletop wargame the game’s based on, and Creative Assembly has done an outstanding job of bringing the vampires, direwolves, and masses of skeletons and zombies alive.

Er, so to speak.

The broad brushstrokes of any Total War game are ever present – campaign map movement, city management, it’s all there, so that veterans will feel at home. But laid over that are unique abilities drawn from the immense lore that Games Workshop has amassed over decades of working on Warhammer. Surprisingly, these translate perfectly to the Total War milieu.

Our preview session started at the beginning of the campaign, with a single territory, and a stretch of narrative missions to get me into the swing of being Manfred von Carstein, EPIC VAMPIRE DUDE. His initial aims are to dominate the area of the Known World known as Sylvania, which is totally not at all a rip-off of Dracula’s Transylvania. Well, it obviously is, but Games Workshop’s always been a master of pastiche.

Mannfred von Carstein, EPIC VAMPIRE DUDE

The only issue with this name is that it seems very silly to anyone familiar with Sydney’s suburb of the same name. Then again, if it were revealed that Sylvania Waters is the home to the blood-feasting undead, it probably wouldn’t surprise anyone.

So as usual, you need to expand, and you’ve got a pretty neat starting army to do so. Watching skeletons march in lockstep to war is wonderfully reminiscent of Jason and the Argonauts, and it’s hard to get more iconic than hordes of shambling, slow moving zombies. But the Vampire Counts real punch comes from von Carstein himself, and the monstrous Varghulf.

As I said, Manfred’s an EPIC VAMPIRE DUDE, and I really mean it. Total Warhammer’s generals and heroes are solo figures. Unlike the generals of previous games, they stride through the battlefield alone, and are immeasurably more powerful. They’re in fact quite in line with power levels of characters from the tabletop game. Von Carstein can cast spells with sap the strength of enemies, or that heal and raise from the dead his allies. And in combat, he’s incredible – it’s like watching Sauron lay waste to the armies of elves and men in the opening of Lord of the Rings. Total Warhammer’s characters are more than capable of destroying entire units.

And that’s even before you start messing about with the many skill trees on offer to the Vampire Counts, which can really boost your combat ability, or your spell-casting ability, or your control over territory. On top of that, there are magic items to find on the field of battle from lesser magic weapons and armour, to the more epic named items that are part of each major character’s quest chain.

The Varghulf, on the other hand, is one of the game’s monstrous creatures, a towering undead monster that can dash across the ground, and decimate unsuspecting units. Again, it’s one creature, but very tough, and very dangerous.

And really, all the Vampire Counts units are useful, because they all cause fear. This doesn’t mean much fighting other Vampire armies, but when you fight human troops, their morale can be really fragile. This opens up some truly unique tactics. You can harass the enemy with a quick flight of bats, a fragile flying unit that can nonetheless break up an advance. Then you bog them down with skeletons and zombies, using magic to weaken the enemy, and bolster your own ranks. If an enemy character wades into the fray, hit them with your own characters, or tie them down with a monster.

Then, when the enemy is engaged all along its line, surprise them with an attack from the flank by hidden direwolves, or your fast-charging Varghulf. That’s a recipe for a shattering win over your foe.
>What’s impressive is that while the tools may be different, the same tactics are still rewarding and reliable.

Combined with the fantastic effects that animate the campaign map, to the true-to-miniature-life recreation of the many and varied units of the Warhammer world, Total War: Warhammer is starting to look like the triumph we’ve all been hoping for since the game was announced.

madmac fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 11, 2016

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

This may have been addressed, but I feel like the fear mechanic of the VC will be very powerful. Total War has always been about chain routing the enemy so I wonder how it'll play out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

This may have been addressed, but I feel like the fear mechanic of the VC will be very powerful. Total War has always been about chain routing the enemy so I wonder how it'll play out.

Perhaps its a way to balance their poo poo tier infantry and the fact that if the head Vamp dies the whole army collapses. Seems like the counts will be a glass cannon army.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah, if VC is this this game are faithful to the tabletop and other adaptations then they will need that fear and strong leaders/monsters because their line troops should be expected to lose most engagements and are generally of poor quality.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I'm interested in seeing if they can reliably field more than a full stack via summoning.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Mannfred is not an EPIC VAMPIRE DUDE, he is vampire starscream.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Klaus88 posted:

Mannfred is not an EPIC VAMPIRE DUDE, he is vampire starscream.

Manfred is totally EPIC VAMPIRE DUDE, according to Manfred.

I still wish they'd included Konrad :black101:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Rygar201 posted:

Manfred is totally EPIC VAMPIRE DUDE, according to Manfred.

I still wish they'd included Konrad :black101:

They've only announced one Legendary Lord, right? Vlad and Konrad would make for a good generalist, melee, caster setup. Who cares about being dead? So is Azhag.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Perhaps its a way to balance their poo poo tier infantry and the fact that if the head Vamp dies the whole army collapses. Seems like the counts will be a glass cannon army.

I kind of doubt they'll keep that as-is. Maybe a bigger-than-normal negative if they general dies, like a debuff of some kind beyond just losing the bonuses and lovely morale, but having your entire army explode (except for ghouls) if your general dies would be a pretty poo poo mechanic.

Fear/Terror could easily just be mechanics which reduce the stats of the enemy and maybe damage their morale a bit. Having the RNG spontaneously cause your units to immediately route when faced with a unit that causes Fear or Terror would be similarly awful mechanics.

Basically these are tabletop rules that would be dogshit in the extreme if copy/pasted over.

A good analogy is the magic rules from tabletop. They're stupid garbage for video games, so naturally CA did something different. They aren't beholden to tabletop rules.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 11, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Lassitude posted:

Fear/Terror could easily just be mechanics which reduce the stats of the enemy and maybe damage their morale a bit. Having the RNG spontaneously cause your units to immediately route when faced with a unit that causes Fear or Terror would be similarly awful mechanics.

TW games have had mechanics for fear causing units (Like, literally "This unit passively causes fear/reduces morale of nearby enemy units. Units with fear are immune to the fear effect of other fear causing units".) in place for over a decade, they don't have to even make an effort to port that rule over. Fear causing units are helpful but they aren't going to win the battle for you on their own, especially if your front line is weaker to start with.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

madmac posted:

TW games have had mechanics for fear causing units (Like, literally "This unit passively causes fear/reduces morale of nearby enemy units. Units with fear are immune to the fear effect of other fear causing units".) in place for over a decade, they don't have to even make an effort to port that rule over. Fear causing units are helpful but they aren't going to win the battle for you on their own, especially if your front line is weaker to start with.

Except that the fear causing ability was usually a rarity. If the majority of undead units cause some level of fear, and if that stacks, you could easily get into a situation where you can snowball routing without even engaging, which would be pretty neat.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

madmac posted:

Fear causing units are helpful but they aren't going to win the battle for you on their own, especially if your front line is weaker to start with.

Spoken like a man who has never faced a Suebi rush.

And I don't think losing the general should make the army die since general sniping isn't that difficult when you have a lot of arty, and Dwarves and Empire will have a lot of arty.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

But right there, units suffering fear are immune to other fear causing units. Seems like VCs are going to be predatory with a main army of harryhausen models with some varghul waiting in the flanks to go oogie boogie boogie and scare the enemy into a rout while they're distracted with the zombies.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Triskelli posted:

But right there, units suffering fear are immune to other fear causing units. Seems like VCs are going to be predatory with a main army of harryhausen models with some varghul waiting in the flanks to go oogie boogie boogie and scare the enemy into a rout while they're distracted with the zombies.

They are immune to fear of the same type, so probably a Fear:Undead. Someone with Fear:Holy could possibly scare skeletons, and vice versa. However, most undead are probably going to have an additional immunity to fear.

Except for Manfred, he will be afraid of everything, should be funny watching your hero break and retreat at the slightest sign of danger.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

MadJackMcJack posted:

And I don't think losing the general should make the army die since general sniping isn't that difficult when you have a lot of arty, and Dwarves and Empire will have a lot of arty.

That's not gonna work when generals have as much HP as a unit or two

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Uh it's not paranoia if everyone's actually out to get you?

Discretion is the better part of valor?

I'll get you next time Gadget? :doom:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

MadJackMcJack posted:

I don't think sniping generals with artillery is going to be all that effective when your target is a single dude with 100+ armor and 5000 HPs.

Which is probably for the best, actually. Losing battles because of bullshit instant general deaths has never been a selling point for the series.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

madmac posted:

I don't think sniping generals with artillery is going to be all that effective when your target is a single dude with 100+ armor and 5000 HPs.

Which is probably for the best, actually. Losing battles because of bullshit instant general deaths has never been a selling point for the series.

Didn't Vlad get his head knocked off by a cannon at least once when he was trying to become emperor?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

drgnvale posted:

Didn't Vlad get his head knocked off by a cannon at least once when he was trying to become emperor?

Yes, also the grandmaster of the White Wolf order tore his head off with a cavalry hammer like a polo player. Luckily for him, he had a certain bullshit ring and got better.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Angry Lobster posted:

Yes, also the grandmaster of the White Wolf order tore his head off with a cavalry hammer like a polo player. Luckily for him, he had a certain bullshit ring and got better.

Then he made that grand master a vampire. Now that's style, baby. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I think the bottom line here is that Vlad Von Carstein was a pretty cool vampire and it's a pity we have to play as his nerdy kid.

• Locked thread