Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Story chat!

Why do they need to have had some kind of falling out? I feel like "while you and your buddies traipse around the multiverse loving things up I'm stuck here protecting my home from a mess you helped cause, how about I show you what that feels like?" is a good enough reason.

There's still one missing piece of the puzzle - Nahiri is (allegedly) mortal, but more than 6,000 years old as of the events of SoI. Unless the mending passed her by somehow, she should be long dead by now. Is there some known reason why she's still alive and kicking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
^^^ How about Sorin made her a vampire to make sure she'd survive long enough to protect Zendikar forever and that's yet another reason she's super-pissed?

dragon enthusiast posted:

They never explicitly state Sorin caused vampires to happen on Zendikar (and hope springs eternal that Creative is... creative enough to introduce the plot twist that it wasn't Sorin's doing), also in your version of events there's no reason for Sorin to be dodgy to Ugin about the whereabouts of Nahiri.

Sure there is, imagine how that conversation would go:

U: "Where's Nahiri?"
S: "Looking for me."
U: "Oh that's convenient, you two both need to come back to Zendikar anyways."
S: "Erm, not that convenient, she's kind of seeking revenge."
U: "What? Why?"
S: "I got hungry while I was there last time, those vampires weakened the Eldrazi prison, Nahiri left to find me, and while she was gone some other PWs showed up and released the Eldrazi."
U: "..."

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 11, 2016

Alaan
May 24, 2005

dragon enthusiast posted:

They never explicitly state Sorin caused vampires to happen on Zendikar (and hope springs eternal that Creative is... creative enough to introduce the plot twist that it wasn't Sorin's doing), also in your version of events there's no reason for Sorin to be dodgy to Ugin about the whereabouts of Nahiri.

They have said outright Sorin's DAD Grandfather made the vampires on Innistrad(and Sorin into one along with them)

Getting turned into a Vampire by his dad grandfather is what ignited his spark.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 11, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe kor just live a long time naturally

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Alaan posted:

They have said outright Sorin's DAD made the vampires on Innistrad(and Sorin into one along with them)

Getting turned into a Vampire by his dad is what ignited his spark.

uncle I thought

Alaan
May 24, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

uncle I thought

Actually grandfather according to the wiki. Hi five on us both being wrong.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Alaan posted:

Actually grandfather according to the wiki. Hi five on us both being wrong.

:hfive:

he came down with a bad case of being in the family of a six hour old vampire

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Didn't Nahiri put her self into a Hedron or something? Or there was some weird time traveling shenanigans somewhere because she suddenly disappeared out of no where after the first Eldrazi breakout

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zoness posted:

Maybe kor just live a long time naturally

Do sparks not make you immortal anymore?

I don't see what is creative about not having sorin casually gently caress up a plane by introducing vampirism. That sounds exactly like the sort of thing a younger demigod type guy would do.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I think it was implied in one of the stories that the vampires on Zendikar are actually offshoots of Ulamog and his ceaseless hunger, although I'm not sure how that works at all, how an Eldrazi could create human-form creatures:

quote:

Consciousness, a sense of me separate from the hunger, took years. Perhaps hundreds of years, though how could I know? The realization of consciousness came in waves, descending streaks of insight separating me from my hunger, me from my master. I was no longer an extension of it, of the consuming force named Ulamog. I was me. Drana.

But before separation, there had been an . . . unease. An unease that was part of her because there was no her, only the totality of Ulamog in many different forms. An unease that only later, in those dawn moments between being Eldrazi and being Drana, before she forgot it utterly, she understood a glimpse of a facet of a dream.

They were not supposed to be here. They were supposed to be away. Somehow, there was an away from Zendikar. There were many aways from Zendikar, and the Eldrazi knew, in so far as they could know anything, they should be there, and not here.

But they were here, and their purpose was to consume, and so they did.

For a brief second she remembered those dawn moments, the confusing blur of an awakening self, and how strong her purpose had been back then, thousands of years ago. That purpose washed over her, a giant wave of ocean crashing over her and subsuming her entirely.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/memories-blood-2015-09-16

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 11, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pale Moon is now TCG Low $3.50, God is dead and #mtgfinance killed him.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

^^^ How about Sorin made her a vampire to make sure she'd survive long enough to protect Zendikar forever and that's yet another reason she's super-pissed?

Sure there is, imagine how that conversation would go:

U: "Where's Nahiri?"
S: "Looking for me."
U: "Oh that's convenient, you two both need to come back to Zendikar anyways."
S: "Erm, not that convenient, she's kind of seeking revenge."
U: "What? Why?"
S: "I got hungry while I was there last time, those vampires weakened the Eldrazi prison, Nahiri left to find me, and while she was gone some other PWs showed up and released the Eldrazi."
U: "..."
Did Sorin find a handwritten note on Zend with the postscript "ps I'm gonna find you and gently caress up your plane : )" or what

In any case this line of reasoning falls into the same line of eye-rolling storytelling with previous hits such as
- it was Emrakul all along
- use fire on Eldrazi
- I eat mana to get huge

Alaan posted:

They have said outright Sorin's DAD Grandfather made the vampires on Innistrad(and Sorin into one along with them)

Getting turned into a Vampire by his dad grandfather is what ignited his spark.

Zendikar is not Innistrad

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sigma-X posted:

no they do not, that's the basis for liliana's entire character arc

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

I don't see what is creative about not having sorin casually gently caress up a plane by introducing vampirism. That sounds exactly like the sort of thing a younger demigod type guy would do.

No they do not that's one of the reasons Nicol Bolas was loving around on Alara, he's kind of upset at being mortal.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Thisuck posted:

Didn't Nahiri put her self into a Hedron or something? Or there was some weird time traveling shenanigans somewhere because she suddenly disappeared out of no where after the first Eldrazi breakout

Assuming the MTGS wiki is correct, she lived for a few centuries protecting the plane, then stuck herself in a hedron, then woke up when vampires screwed up the hedron network, then left Zendikar to find out why Sorin and Ugin didn't back her up (depending on the timeline, Ugin was dead at the time). That was all thousands of years ago and we haven't seen Nahiri since. There seems to be an assumption that, at some point during those years, Nahiri found Sorin and they had a huge falling-out that has led to her current attack on Innistrad.

Other things that might have happened during her search:
- She found Phyrexia
- She found Rath (does Rath still exist? It had Kor on it...)
- She is now Nahiri, Agent of Bolas

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 11, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lets Pickle posted:

I think it was implied in one of the stories that the vampires on Zendikar are actually offshoots of Ulamog and his ceaseless hunger, although I'm not sure how that works at all, how an Eldrazi could create human-form creatures:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/memories-blood-2015-09-16

in one of the roe preview articles they said that the eldrazi hosed with the vampires of zendikar but I cba to find it

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

oh my god I remember this episode

That test was bullshit.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Everblight posted:

People are looking for answers to the Eldrazi menace in legacy. :v:

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
So apparently the upcoming hearthstone expansion is a lovecraftian-influenced horror set. Weird synchronicity.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Assuming the MTGS wiki is correct, she lived for a few centuries protecting the plane, then stuck herself in a hedron, then woke up when vampires screwed up the hedron network, then left Zendikar to find out why Sorin and Ugin didn't back her up (depending on the timeline, Ugin was dead at the time). That was all thousands of years ago and we haven't seen Nahiri since. There seems to be an assumption that, at some point during those years, Nahiri found Sorin and they had a huge falling-out that has led to her current attack on Innistrad.

Other things that might have happened during her search:
- She found Phyrexia
- She found Rath (does Rath still exist? It had Kor on it...)
- She is now Nahiri, Agent of Bolas

Rath does not exist as it merged with dominaria during the invasion

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
e:^^ did they ever explain how there are Kor on Zendikar? I'm assuming that since Rath was seeded with species from other planes (if I remember right) that the Kor were stolen from Zendikar but honestly the storyline for magic sucked once Apocalypse happened and I've not really given much care to the story (vs the setting, which I have thought is sometimes neat) since.

UberJew posted:

no they do not, that's the basis for liliana's entire character arc

oooooooooh right.

The fact that half of them are ancient makes me forget these things.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 11, 2016

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Oh I was reading the story in which Nahiri, Ugin, and Sorin trap the Eldrazi originally, and it mentions that the hedrons don't just bind the Eldrazi, they also pulse magical energy that lures Eldrazi to that plane. So yeah, Emrakul is definitely happening.

Like Ugin, I have my own theories as to what the Eldrazi are and why Nicol Bolas is interested in them, and why Ugin tells Jace that Bolas and Sorin will not be happy that they killed two of them. It seems likely that they are a natural part of the "ecosystem" of the Multiverse. There is probably a finite amount of mana in the Multiverse, and if a plane becomes too full of it, it will draw the Eldrazi to destroy and reshape the plane, restoring some kind of balance to the Multiverse. The Eldrazi actually serve an important role in the long-term functioning of the Multiverse, something that would be apparent to Ugin, Bolas, and possibly Sorin, but not to Jace or Chandra or Nissa. Bolas's only interest is power and regaining his immortality, he probably intended to use the Eldrazi to destroy planes and gain access to their mana himself. Sorin understood their role and was content to keep them trapped anywhere but Innistrad. Now that two Eldrazi are dead there will be consequences far in the future, but I doubt it will ever be relevant in the lifetime of any of the Gatewatch.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 11, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is there really no coverage of the Team Sealed GP in DC this weekend? The best format gets no coverage?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Entropic posted:

Is there really no coverage of the Team Sealed GP in DC this weekend? The best format gets no coverage?

Nope. SCG is even running the event. Its a weird situation for sure.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

e:^^ did they ever explain how there are Kor on Zendikar? I'm assuming that since Rath was seeded with species from other planes (if I remember right) that the Kor were stolen from Zendikar but honestly the storyline for magic sucked once Apocalypse happened and I've not really given much care to the story (vs the setting, which I have thought is sometimes neat) since.

Zendikar is the home plane for the Kor

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I had my bingo card ready and everything.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
There's bad design decisions, and there's putting one of the most gamebreakingly powerful cards ever printed at uncommon in a draft set for no reason

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Hymn To Tourach seems like a "fun" draft card too.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lets Pickle posted:

Oh I was reading the story in which Nahiri, Ugin, and Sorin trap the Eldrazi originally, and it mentions that the hedrons don't just bind the Eldrazi, they also pulse magical energy that lures Eldrazi to that plane. So yeah, Emrakul is definitely happening.

Like Ugin, I have my own theories as to what the Eldrazi are and why Nicol Bolas is interested in them, and why Ugin tells Jace that Bolas and Sorin will not be happy that they killed two of them. It seems likely that they are a natural part of the "ecosystem" of the Multiverse. There is probably a finite amount of mana in the Multiverse, and if a plane becomes too full of it, it will draw the Eldrazi to destroy and reshape the plane, restoring some kind of balance to the Multiverse. The Eldrazi actually serve an important role in the long-term functioning of the Multiverse, something that would be apparent to Ugin, Bolas, and possibly Sorin, but not to Jace or Chandra or Nissa. Bolas's only interest is power and regaining his immortality, he probably intended to use the Eldrazi to destroy planes and gain access to their mana himself. Sorin understood their role and was content to keep them trapped anywhere but Innistrad. Now that two Eldrazi are dead there will be consequences far in the future, but I doubt it will ever be relevant in the lifetime of any of the Gatewatch.

So what you're saying is that the eldrazi are the anti-spirals and Jace and Sorin are going to GATTAI?

I am ok with this.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Entropic posted:

I don't know what you'd take out for this, but I think it's missing "producer accidentally plays the first 5 seconds of a promo video while the commentators are talking"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

That's good. That's drat good.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

That test was bullshit.

It really was.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Everblight posted:

In what scenario is that card ever better than Silence? Except something stupid like Chalice on one?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chamale posted:

In what scenario is that card ever better than Silence? Except something stupid like Chalice on one?

That card shows up on "worst card of all time" lists(around like #30 or w/e)

it is v bad

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Entropic posted:

What is mull to 4 in the top 8 doing on there? Is this meant for the entire GP and not just round one?

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Entropic posted:

Best to play, second worst to telecast behind solo limited. It's just bad television and is largely a narrative-less top-decking war. Slightly less so for team events, but it's a slog to make compelling coverage for it.

That said, there's no coverage of anything this weekend. We've been having these weird weeks where there's nothing streaming so far this year. Standard is terrible to play right now, but it's super entertaining to watch (like an accident in progress). We've had maybe 2 standard major streamed events since OGW released? And we're only getting one more before rotation.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Entropic posted:

I was going to say there's no "Randy Beuller gives bad advice/doesn't understand how cards work" but Row 5, Column 4 is basically the Beuller box.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
LSV explains how player can win game on the spot; player doesn't see it

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Elyv posted:

That card shows up on "worst card of all time" lists(around like #30 or w/e)

it is v bad
I guess it has collectors value as a bad card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I guess it has collectors value as a bad card?

There are some cards like Wood Elemental or One With Nothing that have value entirely on the fact that they're legendarily horrible.

Protip: Buy your Razor Boomerangs before they're $20

• Locked thread