Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Counter-argument: Splatoon's final boss, which is probably the only good final boss in a shooter I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

DMC-style final bosses are badass and cool and good now and then

FPS-style final bosses... yeah. I'd really like to see some FPS bosses that are like japanese shooter booses, gigantic vehicles or monsters that you dismantle a piece at a time while dodging (DODGING) projectiles.

Not huddling behind cover or completing some puzzle to instawin.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Does the Death Star count as a final boss in Star Wars: X-Wing?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I don't mind the ol' circle strafe a lot shoot a million rockets at a huge thing FPS boss fights. They could shake it up at this point, but it's a fun enough spectacle to me. Good ol' Cycloid Emperor for example is fun. A well done encounter with a bunch of monsters is usually better though.

The climax of say Max Payne was cool. The final mission in Mass Effect 2 is pretty groovin'.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Heavy Metal posted:

The final mission in Mass Effect 2 is pretty groovin'.

That final boss was groan worthy and pretty lovely though...

I thought that Armstrong in Metal Gear Rising was pretty good, he demands mastery of the mechanics, is pretty beefy and the whole fight is visually spectacular. Also it was really out of left field, in a good way.

Still I can't think of any FPS final bosses I've ever liked, does the Cyberdemon count? They feel less like bosses and more like particularly tough mooks these days given how they're used in Doom 2 and a lot of WADs, but they're pretty well designed within the context of Doom.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 12, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

I honestly can't think of a final boss I have ever enjoyed, in any genre of game.

I've enjoyed some final levels a whole lot, especially ones that do cool mechanical things with shifting environments, or innovative puzzles that build off of what you've already seen in the game, but final bosses? ugh. I like this new mainstream approach of just making the boss a QTE. gently caress it, the fight is going to suck anyway, let's just get it over with faster.
Lechuck is kind of annoying, but I can appreciate the work that went into pulling it off.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Metroid Prime was chock full of excellent bosses, and the eponymous Metroid Prime itself was a fantastic final boss.

And while not a final boss, Altos Tratus is one of the most memorable bosses in shootan in a long time. It was also, coincidentally, the only good thing about Eat Lead.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

khwarezm posted:

That final boss was groan worthy and pretty lovely though...

I thought that Armstrong in Metal Gear Rising was pretty good, he demands mastery of the mechanics, is pretty beefy and the whole fight is visually spectacular. Also it was really out of left field, in a good way.

Still I can't think of any FPS final bosses I've ever liked, does the Cyberdemon count? They feel less like bosses and more like particularly tough mooks these days given how they're used in Doom 2 and a lot of WADs, but they're pretty well designed within the context of Doom.

MGS is so good it's almost unfair to other games, all those have great climaxes and boss fights. The Boss in MGS3 probs the tops.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I really liked the idea of the final phase of the final boss in Wolf TNO, but the execution made the fight more frustrating than anything. If you haven't played it, it's a battle against Deathshead in a giant mech while you're in foot. The environment is an underground part of the base you're in, with lots of steel walls and gas pipes running between cement support columns. As the fight goes on, the metal walls get blown apart while the gas pipes explode and blow fire, the former opening up new movement paths and the latter cutting old ones off.

The problem is that the room is claustrophobically small and the boss itself is just a bullet sponge that increases in attack rate as he loses health. What could have been a fun war in an ever-changing arena ends up being a circlestrafe contest in a closet against a lovely Cyberdemon :(

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I thought the Shadow Warrior remake's bosses were all right. Decent middleground between difficulty and spectacle.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heavy Metal posted:

MGS is so good it's almost unfair to other games, all those have great climaxes and boss fights. The Boss in MGS3 probs the tops.

I prefer The End. That sniper battle is just too good. :allears:

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I finished up Ultimate Simplicity a couple days ago, and while I could recommend it as a whole, the final boss can go die in a tire fire. It was called a Chaos Elemental (basically an enlarged, recolored D64 PE), and:

-It moves fairly quick.
-Its fireballs hit like a truck.
-It's a goddamn damage sponge.
-The arena you fight it in has insta-death pits encircling it.

If AgentSpork had taken just ONE of those options away, the boss fight would have been massively improved. As it stands though, that's one fight where I'll toggle on Degreeless mode with no regrets.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I honestly can't think of a final boss I have ever enjoyed, in any genre of game.

I've enjoyed some final levels a whole lot, especially ones that do cool mechanical things with shifting environments, or innovative puzzles that build off of what you've already seen in the game, but final bosses? ugh. I like this new mainstream approach of just making the boss a QTE. gently caress it, the fight is going to suck anyway, let's just get it over with faster.

What I don't understand is why mid-game bosses are so much better than final bosses most of the time. Magus from Chrono Trigger is my favorite JRPG boss of all time and a real thrill to fight. Lavos is kind of eh.

Actually now that I think of JRPGs, Cynthia and Ghetsis from Pokemon. Those were the best bosses in the entire series, and they were final bosses.

Shooters are bad at boss battles in general though.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 12, 2016

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I remember the final bosses of Ultimate Torment and Torture being ridiculously hard. For the main game I found that the Source Guardians would pretty reliably one-shot me at 100 health at some point during the fight. Eventually I turned on god mode until I got the boss down to half-health. I still died several times, but it was a much more fun fight when he had half the health. I don't remember much about the boss of the Lost Levels, but I do remember that I god moded there too. It's a shame, since I loved the entire rest of UT&T, it was tough, but a fun kind of tough.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

DoombatINC posted:

The problem is that the room is claustrophobically small and the boss itself is just a bullet sponge that increases in attack rate as he loses health. What could have been a fun war in an ever-changing arena ends up being a circlestrafe contest in a closet against a lovely Cyberdemon :(

The suckiest part about this fight is he actually has very little health, he's just invulnerable while recoiling in pain and nothing about the game indicates this fact to you.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Dark Forces talk: Star's End is great too, with some very cool elements best left unspoiled.

The best level might be Mt Kurek though. Its sorta the alpha and omega of dark forces custom levels. Fantastic level design with brand new elements appearing every minute, and the ending features you in an exploding volcano and uses amazing smoke and mirrors to simulate that sensation. Its a better set-piece than most call of duty levels.

Kevin Buscemi has a set of levels (Beyond Glory 2, Ironfort, and Cloudspear) that are technically impressive but are also very un Star Wars.

If you want more Star Wars-ey stuff, I adore Bounty Hunt. You and Han Solo team up to get out of a trap set by a space station full of bounty hunters.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 12, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Jordan7hm posted:

Orphan of Kos, from the Bloodborne DLC? :getin:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i typically like boss fights that are as much about the setpieces you fight them in as much as they are about whatever you're fighting. it's why fights in fps games that boil down to 'circle this thing and shoot it' are really poo poo.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Orphan of Kos, from the Bloodborne DLC? :getin:

Manus on Dark Souls' Artorias of the Abyss is great too. But I have to agree that most FPS bosses are not fun to fight against.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Guillermus posted:

Manus on Dark Souls' Artorias of the Abyss is great too. But I have to agree that most FPS bosses are not fun to fight against.

Shadow Warrior remake and serious sam 1/2/BFE would like to have a word.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I kinda like Shadow Warrior remake's boss and SS First and Second Encounter but... BFE final boss really? The whole guardian of time part of the game is absolutely garbage.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

Dark Forces talk: Star's End is great too, with some very cool elements best left unspoiled.

The best level might be Mt Kurek though. Its sorta the alpha and omega of dark forces custom levels. Fantastic level design with brand new elements appearing every minute, and the ending features you in an exploding volcano and uses amazing smoke and mirrors to simulate that sensation. Its a better set-piece than most call of duty levels.

Kevin Buscemi has a set of levels (Beyond Glory 2, Ironfort, and Cloudspear) that are technically impressive but are also very un Star Wars.

If you want more Star Wars-ey stuff, I adore Bounty Hunt. You and Han Solo team up to get out of a trap set by a space station full of bounty hunters.
How are you getting mod levels into DF on modern systems? Is it kind of a pain in DosBox? Or can you do it in XL Engine?

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

How are you getting mod levels into DF on modern systems? Is it kind of a pain in DosBox? Or can you do it in XL Engine?

All the mods I've been playing so far use batch files for launching so you just copy the mod into the DF folder and launch the .BAT with DosBox which is fairly easy.
I'll be honest that I'm not even sure if XL engine can load those, but probably not at this state.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Johnny Joestar posted:

i typically like boss fights that are as much about the setpieces you fight them in as much as they are about whatever you're fighting. it's why fights in fps games that boil down to 'circle this thing and shoot it' are really poo poo.

This. I'm real tired of the sort of thing. I don't know how powerful Zdoom is in letting you create complicated bosses, but Eduke32 allows for some insanely complex things to be done. just very few people ever bother. (WGrealms 2 is the only one i can think of at the moment.)

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

and the AMC TC as well :v: (for anybody who's interested we are working away on episode3 but I tend to adapt mostly radio silence nowadays as far as my projects are concerneD)

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

So I just learned there was a (no longer available) commercial iOS game called "Bastards" that was basically a wild-west Doom TC :wtc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wyi-uJUMzQ

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Linguica posted:

So I just learned there was a (no longer available) commercial iOS game called "Bastards" that was basically a wild-west Doom TC :wtc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wyi-uJUMzQ
At least some of that stuff has got to be stolen Outlaws assets. The music is The Ectasy of Gold from The Good the Bad, and the Ugly. Probably not licensed.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Casimir Radon posted:

At least some of that stuff has got to be stolen Outlaws assets. The music is The Ectasy of Gold from The Good the Bad, and the Ugly. Probably not licensed.

I tracked down the dev's website and asked if there's a .wad available, so we'll see if anything comes of it. I'm on a total GZDoom kick right now so I figured why the hell not.

e: Also it's a Russian dev, so yeah assets probably at least slightly stolen, ha.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Turns out someone ripped it and made a ZDoom version http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36582

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Linguica posted:

Turns out someone ripped it and made a ZDoom version http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36582

Oh drat. Someone did a mostly fixed version in that thread but the Dropbox link is dead then again that thread is about 2 years old.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Jblade posted:

and the AMC TC as well :v: (for anybody who's interested we are working away on episode3 but I tend to adapt mostly radio silence nowadays as far as my projects are concerneD)

Kill your fanfiction quality writers. :commissar: And add a woman as a playable character.

I mean AMT TC is fun but the story is not a strong point.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The characters are all based on and named after the guys who made the mod I think.

For a female character kickin' rear end in a BUILD game, that Bombshell FPS prequel game is looking good.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Well, I tried Descent 3 again, and... I was right the first time. This game sucks. I simplified the patching process by taking the expansion out of the equation, and I'm not trying to play it coop this time, and some combination of those two seems to have resolved the stability issues I was having. Unfortunately even when the game isn't crashing all the time, it just isn't any fun.

Instead of the compact and dense level design of the first two games, you have these mostly linear, sprawling monstrosities that seem to just go on and on without giving you anything interesting to see or do. Every surface is carved into some weird shape or has random doodads sticking off of it which all seem almost purposefully made to get both you and the AI caught up on them. Whoever made the robots seems to have graduated with honors alongside John Romero from the "annoying gnat" school of enemy design, and every battle just ends up being exhausting and frustrating rather than satisfying in any way. I'm 3 levels in (they're really long, so that's further in than you might think) and haven't enjoyed a single moment of it so far, so I'm giving up on this one.

If recent events has anyone else in the mood for a 6DoF shooter beyond the first two Descents, I'd recommend trying Forsaken instead.

Lork fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 12, 2016

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Jblade posted:

Please try to be less stingy with ammo placement because goddamn having few pistol clips and 4 shotgun shells in the middle of pig cop infested level is not fun. I really like AMC 1&2, but I hate to scavenge for ammo or typing cheat codes.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Heavy Metal posted:

The characters are all based on and named after the guys who made the mod I think.

For a female character kickin' rear end in a BUILD game, that Bombshell FPS prequel game is looking good.

I am 100% behind this being good and showing up the actual game.

Then for 3DRealms to realise this and release a full offering. :getin:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Another Bombshell: Good Edition screenshot from TerminX.

If nothing else, their art game is certainly on point.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Kins posted:

Another Bombshell: Good Edition screenshot from TerminX.

If nothing else, their art game is certainly on point.

Maybe they should have just made the Build game.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Klaus88 posted:

Kill your fanfiction quality writers. :commissar: And add a woman as a playable character.

I mean AMT TC is fun but the story is not a strong point.
There is a deeper story there, but it's not immediately obvious. You can find out more by talking and reading documents spread around the levels. There does need to be a much stronger explanation of stuff but trust me when I say it is better than you're giving it credit. Books like Blindsight are a big inspiration (although obviously with my own twists)

As for the female characters, all characters are based off of community members. I can't really force ladies to become interested in working on the TC (there are female playable characters in the mod but I've asked several places and nobody was interested in doing voice acting) I even made the friendly AMC soldiers have a 50/50 chance of being female :v:

quote:

Please try to be less stingy with ammo placement because goddamn having few pistol clips and 4 shotgun shells in the middle of pig cop infested level is not fun. I really like AMC 1&2, but I hate to scavenge for ammo or typing cheat codes.
I watched a stream and I can see this, pig-cops can be killed with a single shotgun blast to the head but I don't mind taking another look at ammo placement.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Jblade posted:

There is a deeper story there, but it's not immediately obvious. You can find out more by talking and reading documents spread around the levels. There does need to be a much stronger explanation of stuff but trust me when I say it is better than you're giving it credit. Books like Blindsight are a big inspiration (although obviously with my own twists)
I haven't finished AMC (I actually need to start over), but the I remember skipping through some of the conversation dialog because it's really hard to read. The font is small and blocky, which makes it a chore to read through. I don't know if that something you can really change, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's still some visual bugs, but ZDoom is now thinking with portals. Here's a little test someone made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rgpERaGXFc

There's gonna be a lot of fun to be had with this.