Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

DJ Dizzy posted:

Quartermaster uber alles.

The thing that puts me off quatermaster is its $12.99 and only on IOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I've heard people talk about quartermaster before but never actually seen it in use.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Mango Polo posted:

Most likely no books for a bit longer, and I guess we're only getting some if the stuff show cased at the weekender. Maybe a surprise model around the warhammer fest whatever thing.

Books as in the legion red book, sorry.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Dear FW, please reduce the cost of assault marines. Tia.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Dear FW, please reduce the cost of assault marines. Tia.

I know right!? Really boners us BA players. Rumor has it that they will be getting a cost reduction though.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I would take giving them an extra attack and rerollable charge range.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Hencoe posted:

Books as in the legion red book, sorry.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/The-Horus-Heresy-Legiones-Astartes-Age-of-Darkness-Legions

See, pretty good odds.
woho

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Ah that's a surprise, from everything they'd said about weekender orders it sounded like we wouldn't see that book on pre-order for a while longer.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Any idea when the Crusade list will update too?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Ah, I thought that book was replacing the LACL book, but it looks like it just updates it? I don't get it. Do you start from the new book and just refer back as needed? :(

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

TTerrible posted:

Ah, I thought that book was replacing the LACL book, but it looks like it just updates it? I don't get it. Do you start from the new book and just refer back as needed? :(

The AoD Legiones book replaces the old Isstvan Legions book. You still "needed" the LACL book to use the old Isstvan book, too.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Speaking of the old book, is the big red LACL boopk updated already? I saw they were about to release a new version of it some months back and I've been holding off on ordering one until it dropped.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Drake_263 posted:

Speaking of the old book, is the big red LACL boopk updated already? I saw they were about to release a new version of it some months back and I've been holding off on ordering one until it dropped.

Nope.. Still unreleased. With any luck, they will update units in that.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Nope.. Still unreleased. With any luck, they will update units in that.

I thought so, but had to make sure! Thanks.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Does anyone know whether the new AoD book includes the new RoWs from Retribution?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I saw the new book and got all excited until I noticed it was just the legions book and not the legion list. :smith:

DrPop posted:

Does anyone know whether the new AoD book includes the new RoWs from Retribution?
I expect it'll have the new legion-specific ones, but not all of the generic.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
From a nerd on another forum

quote:

I have a copy of the book from the Weekender. Nothing from Book Vi is in here; so none of the new Rites of War, nor the new special characters. The only things that are in here are any updated to Legion rules or units, adding the Iron Circle to the Iron Warriors section, and the addition of the Ultramarines to the book.

Makes me think we'll get a 3rd update in the next few years with all the missing legions

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

So fury of the ancients is a whole lot of fun. Shame that legion dreads only have 2A base though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hencoe posted:

So fury of the ancients is a whole lot of fun. Shame that legion dreads only have 2A base though.
It got FAQ'd up to 3 when 40k dreadnoughts got boosted to 4. They intend for them to be different like that.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Where is that FAQ?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

In the vein of extremely good cheating, we all just noticed today how incredible Bulbasaur made his favorite unit: the Iron Hands Immortals (he doesn't play Iron Warriors because he's bitchmade).

Anyway, here's what he did:
Medusan Immortals Squads (Iron Hands Only):
Reduce cost from 250 to 225
Add special rule ‘Move through cover’
Add special rule ‘Implacable Advance’ (Pg 22)
Add option “For every five models in a squad, one Immortal may exchange their boltgun for a power weapon +5 points”
Add option “The entire squad may take melta bombs: +50 points”
Replace ‘Gun Them Down’ special rule with ‘Shield Wall’, including the following addendum: “At the beginning of your turn, as long as the Immortal squad numbers more than 5 models and is not falling back or pinned, the Immortal squad may take a LD test. If passed, the unit may reroll failed saving throws of 1 until the next turn. These effects do not confer to attached Characters.”

Now we were aware of these rules, but it didn't strike us how nuts these were until the last time we played and the big block of Immortals he had basically lost 0 dudes over 6 turns of being shot at. In previous games we really hadn't paid any attention to them.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Man the gently caress up and suffer like the rest of us.

I also tried the Primarch's chosen yesterday for the most expensive HQ slot possible in the game.

Perturabo with the hammer: 490
The tormentor with two pairs of sponsons and a space marine crew: 615
Iron Circle Command Squad with 6 robits: 1230
For a grand total of 2335.

It was really funny marching them down the board in a Flying V with clash of the line deployment.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 12, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hencoe posted:

Where is that FAQ?

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

panascope posted:

In the vein of extremely good cheating, we all just noticed today how incredible Bulbasaur made his favorite unit: the Iron Hands Immortals (he doesn't play Iron Warriors because he's bitchmade).

Anyway, here's what he did:
Medusan Immortals Squads (Iron Hands Only):
Reduce cost from 250 to 225
Add special rule ‘Move through cover’
Add special rule ‘Implacable Advance’ (Pg 22)
Add option “For every five models in a squad, one Immortal may exchange their boltgun for a power weapon +5 points”
Add option “The entire squad may take melta bombs: +50 points”
Replace ‘Gun Them Down’ special rule with ‘Shield Wall’, including the following addendum: “At the beginning of your turn, as long as the Immortal squad numbers more than 5 models and is not falling back or pinned, the Immortal squad may take a LD test. If passed, the unit may reroll failed saving throws of 1 until the next turn. These effects do not confer to attached Characters.”

Now we were aware of these rules, but it didn't strike us how nuts these were until the last time we played and the big block of Immortals he had basically lost 0 dudes over 6 turns of being shot at. In previous games we really hadn't paid any attention to them.

In his defense, he is on my team.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
We have a great gentlemanly group of players:
  • BULBASAUR spends months getting the campaign together and does all the work. Everyone reviews and agrees to the rules
  • Panascope gets 2 wound, plasma blaster, WS5, 185 point Justerians. Still cheats and adds extra units to his army thinking nobody would notice
  • Hixson gets mastery level 4 wizards that manifest powers on a 3+, convinces BULBASAUR to remove all drawbacks. Second game decides to cast invisibility on Panascope's Justerian
  • Stanyer upgrades his reduced price 15 man assault squads to have double power weapons, combat shields, fleet, stubborn, and furious charge for +75 points. Still gets tabled every game
  • Gets so mad that the above happens to his deathstar that he kamehamehas his lovingly painted sergeant into the wall
  • Traitor team melts down after eeking out a win because they ignored the rules discussed before the game

Our league rules have been public since late last year. What I'm saying is that I love warhammer and my friends they are both great

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 12, 2016

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

We have a great gentlemanly group of players:
  • BULBASAUR spends months getting the campaign together and does all the work. Everyone reviews and agrees to the rules
  • Panascope gets 2 wound, plasma blaster, WS5, 185 point Justerians. Still cheats and adds extra units to his army thinking nobody would notice
  • Hixson gets mastery level 4 wizards that manifest powers on a 3+, convinces BULBASAUR to remove all drawbacks. Second game decides to cast invisibility on Panascope's Justerian
  • Stanyer upgrades his reduced price 15 man assault squads to have double power weapons, combat shields, fleet, and furious charge for +75 points. Still gets tabled every game
  • Traitor team melts down after eeking out a win because they ignored the rules discussed before the game

Our league rules have been public since late last year. What I'm saying is that I love warhammer and my friends they are both great

I feel like that Stanyer guy is getting royally hosed on his campaign rules compared to the lot.

Stanyer89 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 12, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

quote:

All Blood Angels units count as having Furious Charge. All Infantry units (except Terminators) count as having the fleet special rule and only scatter 1D6 if entering play using deepstrike. All characters can upgrade a single weapon to be Master-Crafted for +5 points or exchange a bolt pistol for an Archaeotech Pistol for +5 points (AP3, Assault 2).

Assault Vanguard
Any Legiones Astartes: Blood Angels unit consisting of the infantry or jump infantry unit type may be upgraded to be an assault vanguard for an additional 25 points. A unit upgraded in this way automatically gains the ‘Stubborn’ special rule along with the following options:

For every five units in the squad, one additional model may exchange their bolter and /or chainsword for a power weapon: +10 points.
The entire squad may purchase combat shields: +2 point per model
The entire squad may take melta bombs: +2 points per model

The Red Thirst
Characters must always issue challenges, must always attempt to Sweeping Advance, cannot voluntarily Go to Ground or fail a Morale check, and must consolidate towards the nearest enemy unit. If a Blood Angel’s unit succeeds in a sweeping advance or destroys a unit in melee, make a leadership check at -1 for every 5 units swept or destroyed. If passed, the unit behaves as normal. If failed, the unit immediately moves 3 + D6 inches toward their closest enemy.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I'm loving dying. Also I'm going to keep cheating :bigtran:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

You guys should livestream your games.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

panascope posted:

I'm loving dying. Also I'm going to keep cheating :bigtran:

Same. Might just bring 1600 pts to the 1250 Turns.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Please.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

We'll start a GoFundMe and if we reach an agreed dollar amount than I'm game.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Where do people get their ZM boards?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

If you want a full set, here's some ideas.

1. You have the official board. It's expensive as hell but it's sturdy. Takes a good deal of space and weights. a fair bit.

2. For full on DIY, Hirst Arts Molds are pretty cool. Prepare to dedicate your life to the dark gods of dental plaster though, because you're going to be at it for a long time. The results can be quite sweet though.

3. If you want less work, you have Sally 4th 28mm Modular SciFi Terrain which is basically a carbon copy of the official tiles. They are fully modular so you can do whatever wall setup you want. The same layout as the FW deal is pretty much 50% cheaper, the tradeoff being that these look considerably more... boring. And the official stuff is pretty boring already.

Overall I didn't like any of these options and decided to simply get an appropriate gaming mat + my own set of walls.

a. For the gaming mat, whatever you want works. Since I want a spaceship interior I opted for the Deep Cut Space Hulk and asked for a 1" square grid to be added at low opacity, for wall placement. Get whatever you think will best match your walls.

b. There's a whole bunch of ways of handling the walls. Personally I wanted these qualities: lightweight, quick to assemble, modular. I bought the Orbital Starter papercraft kit which is pretty awesome. I did a rough test using lovely scissors and it was happy with it (assuming proper tools to cut and glue). I scaled the kit up to be 2" instead of 1.5" for easier wall setup + inserting foamboard. Can then add tiny magnets to let the wall sections latch on.

c. You can then have fun adding whatever scatter terrain. I like Spartan's stuff among others, or Maki.

There's a whole bunch of gaming mat companies and papercraft kits out there, just have to find what you like.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

I'm going to make mine out of Lego :science:

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Hencoe posted:

Seems like it needs a lot of investment in your HQ slots, though. Like, Praetor to unlock the RoW, then two Centurions on top of that for the Forge Lord and Primus Medicae means you're using all three HQ options just to meet the requirements.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Shazaminator posted:

Seems like it needs a lot of investment in your HQ slots, though. Like, Praetor to unlock the RoW, then two Centurions on top of that for the Forge Lord and Primus Medicae means you're using all three HQ options just to meet the requirements.

Yes and no, because both have their place. The Forgelord lets you repair a dread (for example I had an arm blown off one of my leviathans, he scooted over and slapped it back into place) I put mine in a unit of terminators so they had their cataphractii save plus FnP, plus rad grenades from the Forgelord. But all those dreads are immune to the shooting of tactical squads and other decently large chunks of his army. It's a steep price and giving up a VP for each dread lost is a serious matter, but that immunity coupled with them being troops makes up for it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
So, tonight I've started to look at the plastic BAC tactical squads that I picked up. Looking at the instructions, it seems to indicate that torso back B13 can only go with front B11 and B12. Looking at the sprues, they look exactly the same as all the others. Am I missing something?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone tell me why Forge World seems to think that forcing units to sweeping advance is a negative trait? In what world are you not going to at least attempt to sweep? The Iron Hands' Immortals even have an ability that lets them snapfire instead of attempting. I can think of maybe like two scenarios where that'd be used. Do they still think a unit that successfully catches an opponent also jumps forward 2d6" and that restraining pursuit is a tactical decision? That would make some sense. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah the best units are always the ones where the 'drawback' is something silly like 'must always sweep' or 'consolidate twoards the nearest enemy!'

Compare that to the Cerebrus which can blow itself up for no good reason