Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

While they weren't the first act to play in a stadium, they still pretty much invented the concept of stadium rock with their 70s and 80s tours. If Freddy had lived nerds would be hating on Queen as boring dad-rock, but because they aren't really in the news these days, nerds can pretend that they've "discovered" them.

Having said that - and it's apropos of nothing in this thread, other than the fact that Queen were mentioned - I don't give a poo poo what your musical tastes are or how much neckbeards have ruined them for you, if you don't think Queen at Live Aid was the greatest live performance of all time I don't think you should be able to call yourself a music fan of any kind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A22oy8dFjqc

Found the queen-hipster.

We are playing that, right? They are almost the same as vegans. Every time they get the chance, they will tell you how great queen is.

Faramouge, faramouge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Was Yahtzee the "150 IQ" guy or was that someone else?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Was Yahtzee the "150 IQ" guy or was that someone else?

I think that was TotalBiscuit, but they're both pretty much identical flavors of awful. Like if you hate one, you might as well hate the other.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

TotalBiscuit seems worse. He's the "say that trans people are just mentally ill and then issue an hour and a half rambling pseudo-apology" type.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CommunistPancake posted:

TotalBiscuit seems worse. He's the "say that trans people are just mentally ill and then issue an hour and a half rambling pseudo-apology" type.

He also told someone to get cancer once, then deleted the comment after he got diagnosed with cancer himself because the irony was overwhelming I guess.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

He, much like Captain Dan and the Scurvy Crew, made the mistake of getting popular while being members of SomethingAwful.com.

Don't forget Kate Beaton.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Plan Z posted:

Don't forget Kate Beaton.

That one was glorious. Goons creeped her out. Then goons creeped her out a hundred times more by constantly groveling and apologizing on behalf of the initial goons.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That's a shame Yahtzee is terrible, I loved his stuff back when he was just Ben Croshaw.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Please friends, there's no need to misremember TotalBiscuit terrible opinions. Aside from you, CommunistPancake you're good. Let's all just take a look at the archive. http://whatdidtotalbiscuitdonow.tumblr.com/

Antivehicular posted:

It also never ceases to bemuse me when Imgur content featuring Tumblr screenshots and/or reaction images of black people hit the front page, given how the Imgur userbase feels about both Tumblr and black people. I guess they're acceptable as upvote sources?

It's very simple. Black people are okay as long as they're reaction images without opinions. Or they agree with them like Charles Barkley, or- as they believe- Chris Rock. Otherwise they're just dense gorillas that need to stop whining about free stuff with all that privilege they have over the rest of us like saying friend of the family and-

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

That's a shame Yahtzee is terrible, I loved his stuff back when he was just Ben Croshaw.

When I was in art school I really enjoyed Zero Punctuation. Haven't watched that series in a long, long time. Shame that he's just another extension of the fedora stereotype.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

NotAnArtist posted:

When I was in art school I really enjoyed Zero Punctuation. Haven't watched that series in a long, long time. Shame that he's just another extension of the fedora stereotype.

You know its possible to enjoy a thing while not liking everything about the person who made it. Do you boycott all Will Smith and Tom Cruise movies just because they are Scientologists?

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

You know its possible to enjoy a thing while not liking everything about the person who made it. Do you boycott all Will Smith and Tom Cruise movies just because they are Scientologists?

The difference is that Mission Impossible and Independence Day aren't inundated with Scientologist views, whereas there's definitely been a slow creep of stupid poo poo into Zero Punctuation.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

According to Breitbart this is true! Breitbart!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

RFC2324 posted:

No, because Scientologists aren't any more inherently terrible (that I'm aware of) than any other organized religion. I still feel that most celebrities who become Scientologists are doing it for some sort of tax exemption. I bet once they lose their exempt status next month, a lot of famous people will stop identifying as one.

Kiebland posted:

The difference is that Mission Impossible and Independence Day aren't inundated with Scientologist views, whereas there's definitely been a slow creep of stupid poo poo into Zero Punctuation.

Also that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

I don't anyone involved in this conversation besides me watches Zero Punctuation when there's a decent backlog of new episodes.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Jmcrofts posted:

This is made up right? You can't actually treat PTSD with "vibrations and sounds" right?

It looks like an enhanced FitBit that detects when the user is having a PTSD related nightmare and gently vibrates to bring them out of that sleep stage. It seems like something that might work on a certain percentage of people, but it doesn't address daytime symptoms or people who don't experience night terrors.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
You know, I like this thread because I appreciate the irony of people in this thread heaving their rock-hewn opinions on society at teenagers farting out their fledgling opinions on society.

I don't know who these internet superstars are, but whatever sad sack of poo poo made it their life mission to make a blog about one of them, archiving all their opinions, and passing out torches for the internet mob really needs to rethink their life.

If you can't segregate in your mind the quality of a person's output, whether it be art, craft, labor, or charity, and their opinions and cynicisms, and personal failings, then you're a loving child. "Ohh, some guy had a bad opinion once, now I have to disavow them, and stop liking their stuff." Give me a goddamn break. The greatest contributors to the advancement of human kind all did bad things. Albert Einstein was a womanizer and a cheater, who likely plagiarized parts of his magnum opus. Richard Wagner was a raging anitsemite, abuser, and swindler, who's music helped inspire Hitler to his objectives. Mother Teresa for gods sake supported the suspension of Indian civil liberties, and cavorted with embezzlers, thieves and ex-patriots who donated millions of dollars to her organization, stolen from government coffers, poverty relief funds, and employee pensions.

loving pick one. Go back through history and pick someone and learn about them, and they did something bad.

The idea that doing something bad means a person can then have nothing good about them appreciated is dumb. The idea that we should suppress all dissident thought and expression thereof is a bad bit. You should be ashamed of yourself for choosing censorship and public shaming over the free exchange of ideas, no matter how impudent or repulsive they might be.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Now have some fake black twitter:

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blarzgh posted:

You know, I like this thread because I appreciate the irony of people in this thread heaving their rock-hewn opinions on society at teenagers farting out their fledgling opinions on society.

I don't know who these internet superstars are, but whatever sad sack of poo poo made it their life mission to make a blog about one of them, archiving all their opinions, and passing out torches for the internet mob really needs to rethink their life.

If you can't segregate in your mind the quality of a person's output, whether it be art, craft, labor, or charity, and their opinions and cynicisms, and personal failings, then you're a loving child. "Ohh, some guy had a bad opinion once, now I have to disavow them, and stop liking their stuff." Give me a goddamn break. The greatest contributors to the advancement of human kind all did bad things. Albert Einstein was a womanizer and a cheater, who likely plagiarized parts of his magnum opus. Richard Wagner was a raging anitsemite, abuser, and swindler, who's music helped inspire Hitler to his objectives. Mother Teresa for gods sake supported the suspension of Indian civil liberties, and cavorted with embezzlers, thieves and ex-patriots who donated millions of dollars to her organization, stolen from government coffers, poverty relief funds, and employee pensions.

loving pick one. Go back through history and pick someone and learn about them, and they did something bad.

The idea that doing something bad means a person can then have nothing good about them appreciated is dumb. The idea that we should suppress all dissident thought and expression thereof is a bad bit. You should be ashamed of yourself for choosing censorship and public shaming over the free exchange of ideas, no matter how impudent or repulsive they might be.
drat, which comment chain is this from?

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Eponine posted:

It looks like an enhanced FitBit that detects when the user is having a PTSD related nightmare and gently vibrates to bring them out of that sleep stage. It seems like something that might work on a certain percentage of people, but it doesn't address daytime symptoms or people who don't experience night terrors.

That sounds like

a) a thing you've pulled from your arse
b) a poorly sourced, bad post
c) a great way to gently caress up your sleep schedule

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

blarzgh posted:

Source your quotes, bro.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

blarzgh posted:

What the gently caress is this? What does this mean? Do we have to support everyone no matter how lovely their opinions are because no one's perfect? I honestly don't see the point you're making here. Should mock threads stop because their whole purpose is making fun of people or something? Isn't the Free Market all about taking your business somewhere that matches up with your opinions and thoughts? Aren't you supposed to stop supporting people and practices if you don't agree with them?

I cannot parse this for the life of me.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Fashionable Jorts posted:

No, because Scientologists aren't any more inherently terrible (that I'm aware of) than any other organized religion. I still feel that most celebrities who become Scientologists are doing it for some sort of tax exemption. I bet once they lose their exempt status next month, a lot of famous people will stop identifying as one.

Also that.

I just looked up the tax exemption thing, and Snopes says it's false. Do you have any other source? (Not being snarky at you, only curious)

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

blarzgh posted:

Sorry, it's only funny when LoB does it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Ok, on reread this jumped out at me

blarzgh posted:

[...]

Mother Teresa for gods sake supported the suspension of Indian civil liberties, and cavorted with embezzlers, thieves and ex-patriots who donated millions of dollars to her organization, stolen from government coffers, poverty relief funds, and employee pensions.

[...]

Mother Teresa literally did nothing good and actively made the lives around her worse. So yes, there is nothing to appreciate about her, and including her completely undermines your point.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
The most entertaining thing about Zero Punctuation now is how whenever Yahtzee says something like "having a mechanic based on a girl's clothing getting wet is dumb" the comments lose their poo poo at him for being a gender traitor.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Thinky Whale posted:

The most entertaining thing about Zero Punctuation now is how whenever Yahtzee says something like "having a mechanic based on a girl's clothing getting wet is dumb" the comments lose their poo poo at him for being a gender traitor.

I always thought the most hilarious thing was the outcry when he says he likes a game and it's good. People went apeshit when he talked about Psychonauts.

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I always thought the most hilarious thing was the outcry when he says he likes a game and it's good. People went apeshit when he talked about Psychonauts.

Was that before or after Broken Age came out? The gamergate set has a huge mad-on for Tim Schaefer.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My favorite bad Yahtzee-pinion is that he turned off the music in MGR.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Baofu posted:

Was that before or after Broken Age came out? The gamergate set has a huge mad-on for Tim Schaefer.

Before, it was one of his really old reviews. People get upset when he says good things about a game. My favorite Yahtzee thing was when everyone got really mad that he got that theme song when his videos got popular.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

http://imgur.com/gallery/R8ZdLb0

See, I would suggest airing your grievances out with your date instead of pulling passive aggressive poo poo like this. But I already don't trust anything I see on Imgur anyway so I don't believe she spent the entire time texting. Or maybe the date was going badly and it was very silent, I dunno.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
If your date is texting then there is a strong possibility that you are a horribly boring person

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the payoff to the Tomb Raider Anniversary review when he promises himself he won't make any boob jokes due to it being low hanging fruit - however they start leaking out during his list of game ideas at the end until the eruption occurs. The list gets more and more obvious (A group of aliens trying to defend their Milk Factories from an invasion of Mummies) until BREASTS BOOBS LOVE PILLOWS STONKING! GREAT! TITS!

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

goose fleet posted:

If your date is texting then there is a strong possibility that you are a horribly boring person

Some people just don't realize how absorbed they get by it. I've been to group gatherings where we were watching movies, and sure enough once one person started browsing on their phone, everyone would an everything would die out when it was going fine before. I remember it being particularly bad when the iPhone first came out. My sister's friend would start reading Facebook conversations, and just not stop until the restaurant check arrived, or the credits rolled (she would look up every few minutes and ask what was happening in a movie/show and it drove everyone up the wall).

But odds are yeah it's another fake black twitter.

Another case of lovely post decent comments:

http://imgur.com/gallery/rRkZ7

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yahtzee strikes me as the kind of guy who has bad opinions because he lives under a rock and is generally suspicious of social interaction, so he's sort of a clueless rear end. He's shown enough reasonable opinions (at least regarding video games, the only area where I give any shits about what he thinks) that I'm willing to let his occasional crap opinions slide.

He doesn't seem nearly as bad as what one would normally expect from a fedora, at least, and I haven't heard anything about him trying to sic followers on anyone.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Puppy Time posted:

Yahtzee strikes me as the kind of guy who has bad opinions because he lives under a rock and is generally suspicious of social interaction, so he's sort of a clueless rear end.

Well, he proudly touts being a misanthrope, so this is probably pretty spot on. No matter how clever you are, you can only get so far without other people to occasionally point out when you're being an utter shitheel.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Who What Now posted:

Ok, on reread this jumped out at me

Mother Teresa literally did nothing good and actively made the lives around her worse. So yes, there is nothing to appreciate about her, and including her completely undermines your point.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Skippy McPants posted:

Well, he proudly touts being a misanthrope, so this is probably pretty spot on. No matter how clever you are, you can only get so far without other people to occasionally point out when you're being an utter shitheel.

There's a bunch of popular British youtubers that make a living bitching about everything they hate. It's a thing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Fashionable Jorts posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Freakout

Scientologists are responsible for the kind of poo poo you normally associate with creepy fringe cults that have armed compounds in the middle of nowhere, not massive religions that own large amounts of LA and Tampa and have multi-millionaire celebrities endorsing them.

• Locked thread